Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

pegothejerk t1_jd4lpl4 wrote

Man, that’s a lot of wives that are gonna have a bad time unless they get to a shelter or friends house with the kids.

girlfreddyf t1_jd4p112 wrote

No addresses were published.

" ... 9,300 city police officers’ photos, complete with their names, ethnicity, rank, date of hire, division/bureau and badge numbers."

−262

Jeffuary t1_jd4pvhl wrote

The joke was that the cops are going to beat their wives out of anger, not that someone else is going to hurt them

MGD109 t1_jd5sosx wrote

Ah the joys of reddit, where real life horrors get turned into jokes to net upvotes.

−195

bayareamota t1_jd5ulxg wrote

Yeah I know 40% is a lot of partners getting beat

Mooniedog t1_jd5vb5n wrote

That’s the self-reported number; the actual figure is likely significantly higher.

MGD109 t1_jd5v5ki wrote

Yeah I feel you missed my point.

−123

impy695 t1_jd5wvri wrote

Oh, they understood, there's just a lot of people on reddit who don't actually care about police brutality and all the other issues surrounding police.

MGD109 t1_jd5x7zn wrote

Not beyond it getting them upvotes no sadly.

−90

YomiKuzuki t1_jd6qb6w wrote

You mean at all right? I suggest you take s quick pit stop to r/protectandserve to see part of why people on reddit beat point in like how they beat their wives.

Because maybe one day it'll stick to actually hold them fucking accountable for their shit.

MGD109 t1_jd7ioqz wrote

Yeah I wouldn't hold your breath, shockingly jokes on social media don't usually do much to actually make meaningful change.

That usually requires actual effort.

−7

NarcissusCloud t1_jd7oa4r wrote

Well as much effort as you've put in to complaining about people joking, I'm sure you've also done actual work to help with the problem as well? Link me the site you've built to raise awareness? Or show us the evidence of donations to the cause? I mean there has to be more to helping than just shit talking people who make jokes.

MGD109 t1_jd7ov4k wrote

You want me to give you access to my personal details and private finances online?

Yeah as fishing scams go this isn't a particularly good one.

−2

NarcissusCloud t1_jd7pe2i wrote

Nah, I want you to show us something that indicates you're out here doing the good work. I'm sure you've done something worthy that wouldn't require your personal assets to be shared.

MGD109 t1_jd7pkjs wrote

Well how exactly am I supposed to prove I've done it, without sharing my personal information?

Do you think I use the same username for Reddit for everything I do online?

−2

NarcissusCloud t1_jd7qo15 wrote

None of it matters because clearly you've missed the point. The point is, I have absolutely no clue what you do or don't do to support any given cause. The most I could do is search your reddit comments if I cared enough. Just as you have no clue what anyone here has done outside of their comments. Yet here you are calling everyone out for not doing enough to raise awareness. Just because all you see are the jokes, that doesn't mean they aren't doing more.

MGD109 t1_jd7rjcg wrote

I mean your right I don't know what these people do. For all I know they could be dedicated social activists. If they are good for them.

My overall point though wasn't that they weren't doing enough to deal with the issue, more that I felt the jokes were in bad taste and didn't buy the justification that they were "raising awareness."

When its a joke guaranteed to appear on any thread that even mentions the police at least six times, then its safe to say people are already aware.

This is just blatant upvote farming.

NarcissusCloud t1_jd7t4zc wrote

Ok, I would definitely agree with that. I highly doubt any of these jokes are being made with the explicit goal of raising awareness. I would argue that unless you have a large dedicated audience, you're never actually joking to raise awareness. My apologies, I misunderstood what you were going for.

−1

MGD109 t1_jd7tzo1 wrote

Thanks, honestly its my fault I wasn't clear enough what I was complaining about.

NarcissusCloud t1_jd7udlq wrote

Nah, I think it's more mine. It's early and I'm at work so when I read comments, sometimes I see the words but not the intent because I'm just skimming.

MGD109 t1_jd7uudu wrote

Well we've all been there mate. Still its hard to gage intent sometimes with just text.

I hope you have a quick and easy day.

k3tam1nec0wb0y t1_jd5uq1e wrote

Hey if your cop husband or wife is beating you, this is call for you to get help.

MGD109 t1_jd5v9c6 wrote

Well I sure hope the jokes carry on being calls to help to all those poor people being abused.

If not, well what more can they expect than nothing?

−22

k3tam1nec0wb0y t1_jd5w4vu wrote

Statistically abuse victims don’t reach out to law enforcement BECAUSE of their reputation. Lucky you haven’t had experience with this.

MGD109 t1_jd5wjdx wrote

Yeah I know.

So I'm going to assume your going to tell me how you feel making jokes about the issue is going to help anything?

−17

k3tam1nec0wb0y t1_jd5wl6g wrote

It wasn’t a joke?

MGD109 t1_jd5wtky wrote

So you seriously think I might feel the entire matter is a little tasteless cause I'm married to a cop who's beating me?

−12

k3tam1nec0wb0y t1_jd5w7wq wrote

Friends of family are more likely to provide some sort of protection, even if only temporary.

MGD109 t1_jd5wm8k wrote

Oh boy you really don't know how this works do you?

−11

Art-Zuron t1_jd84s65 wrote

Dude, take your collective 500 down votes on thie chain and give up.

MGD109 t1_jd85k04 wrote

I haven't said anymore on the matter save in response now have I?

Cfp0001-Iceman t1_jd7ccls wrote

Comedy doesn't discriminate. Gilbert Gottfried did a 9/11 joke two weeks later.

Yeah, some jokes are dark and it's a way for some to cope with horrible things in life. Only by making it something we can laugh about does it become something not so overwhelmingly bad that you can process a bit of it little by little. Can't do something about something you're too afraid to deal with.

MGD109 t1_jd7igv5 wrote

Well I suppose that's fair enough. I understand the value of dark humour.

I don't know I guess its just when you keep saying the same jokes over and over again, you start to feel its more your mocking the people suffering rather than anything else. A few responses I've got certainly haven't helped with that perception.

DeutschlandOderBust t1_jd8ywbt wrote

More like using humor to shine a light on all the atrocities we suffer.

MGD109 t1_jd9zrxc wrote

If you say so. I mean I can understand that argument, but when its gotten to the point that literally everyone does it multiple times, it becomes a bit hard to believe their is any light left to shine.

DeutschlandOderBust t1_jda2dzm wrote

Until people in power are willing to listen, humor is all we have.

MGD109 t1_jda2unj wrote

I mean isn't their still voting, vandalism, harassment, protesting, striking, civil disobedience, rioting and random mayhem rebellion?

I kind of feel all of them are a bit more effective than humour.

Ooh_its_a_lady t1_jd4t44l wrote

Hmm seems like an issue that could have been avoided by allowing people with higher IQs to apply. -sips tea

Witchgrass t1_jd5d5u9 wrote

But then they won’t be brainless violent automatons of the state and if they aren’t that then what are they

slipsect t1_jd57ik5 wrote

Something tells me you'll just find guys who are smarter about beating their wives. It takes a certain controlling personality to even want to be a cop in the first place.

NotADeadHorse t1_jd6htpo wrote

I used to wanna be a cop for years.

My reasoning was "drive around in a decent car you don't have to pay for, maybe write a ticket for someone going too fast, and do some paperwork all day"

yuefairchild t1_jd6c8u7 wrote

It's more like the nature of being a cop brings out those shitty elements of yourself.

HappyFunNorm t1_jd4szu1 wrote

There's no way it's a way to get rid of some of the enemies of the LA cop gang. Oh, there's NO WAY they would do something like that... I'm sure it was all a total accident.

onarainyafternoon t1_jd57wo7 wrote

This is a terrible take. Police incompetence/laziness is an enormous problem, and accounts for most of the biggest problems we see with police organizations. Like, Police malice is a really big problem. But it pales in comparison to the incompetence and apathy many organizations exhibit. If you're a True Crime fan, you know how bad and rampant the incompetence can get.

Witchgrass t1_jd5dk0f wrote

I post this a lot but there’s a billboard in my town the cops put up that has a thin blue line and it says STOP THE WAR

As in stop the war against cops? You know, the armed branch of the state? Which makes all of the rest of us non leos (you know, the ones who don’t get paid vacation time for murdering people or shooting poodles) aggro enemy combatants I guess?

The billboard underneath that one is still available for rent and I’m still taking suggestions on what we should put there. It infuriates me every time I see it. My point is that cops absolutely hate non cops and that makes up the biggest part of their problem. 95% malice, 5% incompetence

Orngog t1_jd7i463 wrote

WE SURRENDERED ALREADY, STOP HURTING US springs to mind

i_am_lie_bot t1_jd7qknr wrote

It’s a group of puppies with the caption we surrender.

TrueDove t1_jd7sg92 wrote

Have an arrow pointing up and a caption interpreting it.

STOP THE WAR

"In other words: STOP trying to hold us ACCOUNTABLE for our actions."

Then, have a bunch of photos of innocent people wrecklessly killed by police.

jonathanrdt t1_jd8hoeb wrote

OP, if you do this, make sure a lawyer creates insulation between you and the billboard contract. If they paid for that billboard, they're going to work to discover who paid for its criticism.

MGD109 t1_jd5s8x2 wrote

I mean that's a terrible billboard and suggests your local police aren't particularly good.

But its kind of a reach to take that as evidence that all the cops throughout the country hate everyone who isn't a cop don't you think?

Still even if your right, how is that applicable in this scenerio? Everyone involved was also a cop.

−39

Witchgrass t1_jd6a2ls wrote

You haven’t been paying attention

MGD109 t1_jd7itaf wrote

Oh trust me I have. I just feel that using a single billboard is a bit of a reach.

Their are far better examples that suggest its the case.

−5

Northman67 t1_jd7rnvh wrote

You got a little boot polish on your chin there.

MGD109 t1_jd7s7y5 wrote

Right cause everyone who ever questions the logically fallacies must be part of the enemy.

If you must know I personally think the American police force is both institutionally and personally corrupt, racist, overpaid, overmilitarized and an embodiment of all the countries failures (or if your more cynical, a reflection).

I just don't think them putting up a billboard is the best argument you could make to prove it or that it has much to do with this story.

−3

impy695 t1_jd5xcoo wrote

Yes incompetence is a huge issue, but there have also been a lot of stories recently about the problems with la cop gangs. An intential leak to intimidate people into not talking is a very real possibility.

dashinny t1_jd69fs2 wrote

There is a big issue with cop gangs in LA right now and the current head of the LAPD has actually made a force to combat these gangs. I would say the commenter is speculating, but he is right in that there is a issue with gangs in police

Grateful_Couple t1_jd5bsfu wrote

What you’re saying is definitely true. What he is saying has some merit too.

Saul_Firehand t1_jd4v5n9 wrote

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

AwTekker t1_jd567wl wrote

Malicious people love how popular this dumb idiom has gotten.

onarainyafternoon t1_jd58b3h wrote

Probably, yeah, because malicious people aren't that common. Most people fuck-up out of laziness or genuine incompetence; most people are not trying to deliberately hurt other people. They hurt people with massive incompetence and apathy.

TechFiend72 t1_jd5hoc2 wrote

I think police departments do attract more than their fair share of actually malicious people.

SixStringNascarFan t1_jd5mk96 wrote

The ones that aren't actively malicious dont make it through academy

TechFiend72 t1_jd64gp3 wrote

They don't stay that way. That is one of the sadest things about policing in this country is even people who go into with good intentions get corrupted by the system, and they either leave or convert.

mlc885 t1_jd7orko wrote

There is no way that it is more likely that this waa intentional and not a crazy mistake. Leak the information in a less public way and have the cops either moved, fired, or killed, and then it probably wouldn't even make the news.

−2

Saul_Firehand t1_jd56qxo wrote

Tell me you don’t understand Hanlon’s razor without telling me you don’t understand it.

−4

Daripuff t1_jddz3qc wrote

Problem is, once it becomes a pattern, stupidity is no longer an adequate explanation.

Saul_Firehand t1_jdi71z8 wrote

Because stupid can’t form patterns?

Animals can form patterns that harm others it doesn’t mean they did it out of malice.

Bad or stupid habits are easily formed.

Daripuff t1_jdiks9m wrote

And you’re assuming that malice can’t pretend to be stupidity.

If there’s pattern of “stupidity” that just so happens to benefit the “stupid”, it’s very safe to assume malice.

Saul_Firehand t1_jdj3srm wrote

That is literally the opposite of hanlons razor.

It is like you willfully ignore that and need to believe mustache twirling evil is why people do dumb stuff.

Daripuff t1_jdj5w7y wrote

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

A pattern of apparent stupidity that benefits the “stupid” is not adequately explained by mere stupidity.

The fact it benefits the “stupid”, and the “stupid” keeps doing it, despite the harm it’s going to others (because malice wouldn’t even be a question if there were no harm happening) is all the evidence you need to assume malice.

Even if they are truly ignorant of the harm that’s happening, willful ignorance is malice.

Additionally lying and claiming stupidity is a common defense for the malicious who get caught. The intelligently malicious will make sure that their actions can appear to be explained by stupidity.

No, the variables of “The stupidity is a pattern” and “The stupidity benefits the one being stupid” change the equation enough that you’re the stupid one if you think that “they don’t know that they’re doing, they’re just dumb” is sufficient explanation.

Daripuff t1_jddysmn wrote

A pattern of “stupidity” that benefits the “stupid” can be assumed to be malice, though.

[deleted] t1_jd5a50i wrote

They would've been much more surreptitious than "accidentally" releasing a list in this manner.

MGD109 t1_jd5suoa wrote

All 9,300 of them? If they have that many enemies how are they still alive.

−1

thefanciestcat t1_jd4zhin wrote

Finally, police stupidity that won't cost us money.

On second thought, those cops are going to sue.

jaydpuppycat t1_jd4s1rb wrote

There might be a lot of deaths soon because of it. Anyone undercover might be blown, and all it takes it one seedy guy to remember a face. Also, their family could be targeted as well.

SaintsNoah t1_jd5erwl wrote

Cases blown, for sure, but I don't think any criminal competent enough to warrant an undercover assignment would think they could get away with murdering a POLICE OFFICER

cis-het-mail t1_jd5n54o wrote

Narcos don’t give a fook

Todd-The-Wraith t1_jd9uzax wrote

Maybe not in Mexico. In the United States? Killing cops is bad for business.

cis-het-mail t1_jdeoq16 wrote

I mean maybe but if it’s an UC confirmed with a wire on, I don’t think that business thoughts would cross their minds

MGD109 t1_jd5t0cx wrote

I hope not. But their is always the danger that some criminals are just stupid, aggressive or desperate and you only need one of them in each organisation.

−2

the_colonelclink t1_jd76cl3 wrote

Heck, if any gang member happens to look like one of the cops, there in a pretty dodgy situation.

Ok-Guess9292 t1_jd5n9vf wrote

Calm down there Hollywood. No one’s going to kill a cop unless they have a death wish

−12

MGD109 t1_jd5rx67 wrote

Eh don't be so sure. There are always those who are either hot headed, stupid, desperate or arrogant enough to not think ahead about it.

SuchRuin t1_jd6mfen wrote

Damn that makes a lot of sense since no cop has ever been killed ever.

MrFittsworth t1_jd9d2bb wrote

1 cop? Sure. A ton of undercover cops all at once? Much different story.

LackingUtility t1_jd671au wrote

Now match those photos against the photos of violent instigators during BLM protests.

RamonaQ-JunieB t1_jd4n82k wrote

Good grief someone needs to be fired.

girlfreddyf t1_jd4ossf wrote

Nah. Probably just some poor plebe who was told to fill the request by a higher-up who was supposed to vet the request.

Either way it couldn't have happened to a better org. :)

fvb955cd t1_jd6o2tz wrote

I've never worked for a police department but I have worked in various government agencies. Foia/public records work is absolutely soul crushing work. It's regularly used as a dumping ground for people agencies can't fire but want to get rid of, and promising managers (if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere). You have to herd cats to get every office and division that touched something to propose redactions based on their specialized knowledge, and the person ostensibly leading the collection is probably like a 60 year old man who sleeps at his desk half the day and spends the other half posting political Facebook memes, but he's buddies with various muckity muck senior career managers or union stewards so he's untouchable.

When it's all said and done, and records are sent out the day before the judge is getting ready to sanction everyone involved, you get a call from angry officials upset that no one redacted such and such thing that was super sensitive. But those fuckers signed off on it as being fully redacted.

Its a problem of attitude, unpleasant conditions (at the federal level, the time lines are from the pre-digital era), and borderline abuse by politically aligned groups that shift based on the administration, to fish for any sort of juicy dirt and otherwise just Gum up agency resources.

I would quit before having to deal with the process again. I'm all for accountability but the sausage of it is terribly unpleasant to grind and pack.

ButtMilkyCereal t1_jd89pmo wrote

You don't have your police consequence scale calibrated correctly. They usually get paid vacation for outright murder caught on camera, so by my calculations, this is a Caribbean cruise while getting blown by supermodels.

MGD109 t1_jd5smn3 wrote

I mean I get the desire for transparency, but surely they realise why publishing information about undercover officers could go horribly wrong right?

Either way it looks like they've effectively crippled the LAPD's entire uncover branch. I wonder what repercussions that will have.

PhilosophicalPhuck t1_jd7mtmj wrote

HAHAHA

Knew you were undercover. Its just table salt, fool.

Arrest me for seasoning in a baggie.

peterkeats t1_jd8eqxf wrote

The watchdog website knew what they got. They aren’t publishing the info.

They may be suspicious of cops, but don’t try to get them killed.

In fact, if their job is questioning police intentions, they would be very suspicious why they got this info.

MGD109 t1_jd8f5ay wrote

Ah that's good to hear.

And glad to hear their investigating this. At best its incompetence on a terminal level.

Rambos_Beard t1_jd4vhjh wrote

Got a non paywall link?

[deleted] t1_jd5nen5 wrote

[removed]

azuresegugio t1_jd6cuvf wrote

Eh, I wouldnt cheer this, criminal organizations have a tendency to target families of rats, so there's a lot of innocents in danger from this

Safe_Indication_6829 t1_jd6hwrf wrote

they should quit the police department and get a real job then

azuresegugio t1_jd7bd23 wrote

They'd still need to go into witness protection, quitting the force doesn't take the target of them and their families

Phidoux t1_jd80udj wrote

Secret police and secret courts get no sympathy from me.

azuresegugio t1_jd81ea9 wrote

Again, talking about spouses and children here

Phidoux t1_jd82jne wrote

Oh.... you sweet summer child.

Like all kinds of bless your heart.

azuresegugio t1_jd8315y wrote

Oh yes, my favorite part of Internet discourse, not saying your point just saying your superior and everyone who thinks different doesn't deserve your time

21redman t1_jd77w90 wrote

Good. Maybe we can actually do something useful with the undercover dept funds

goldsax t1_jd88sft wrote

Why reddit links sites with pay walls I will never understand

Mycide t1_jd8lulk wrote

Maybe if they stopped playing police gangs, and worried about doing their jobs, shit like this wouldn't happen.

Pazoll t1_jd89p01 wrote

Were are the names from Jeffery Epsteins black book?

−4

MGD109 t1_jd8flu8 wrote

You can look it up here: https://epsteinsblackbook.com/

Trouble is it turned out the "black book" was just a media story that they blew up for ratings, and its really just a mundane address book that even has the phone numbers of his family, cleaners and contractors he hired for his events and restaurants he liked to eat at.

In other words, utterly worthless.

Pazoll t1_jd8j73n wrote

Sure bro

MGD109 t1_jd9zlm1 wrote

Just to clarify do you disagree with me, or do you think their is another black book their keeping secret.

If its the former why? If its the later, ask yourself why exactly would such a thing even exist in the first place? What possibly benefit to Epstein could it have possibly given?

Pazoll t1_jdbz3ba wrote

I just dont care anymore, gl.

MGD109 t1_jdcbl6m wrote

Okay, fine by me. Have a nice day.

Velkyn01 t1_jd4nlmn wrote

It's not a site for showing off the watchdogs, ya dummies.

−35

lilliiililililil t1_jd4v17j wrote

I don’t know what type of vested interest the LAPD has in helping me watch dogs but i’m really excited to see some new dog videos on r/aww from their stash