Submitted by RooMorgue t3_z17dcg in nosleep

It was late when he came to me; I'm not sure of the time, only that I was weary, and keen to find my bed. The church floors had been swept, all the candles put out, and there was nothing left to do but lock the doors and go home, at long last.

Truthfully, I was glad of it. Some of these autumn nights are of a dank, humid condition, and yet the stone walls render them cold, and bitterly so.

Shivering, I pushed the doors apart to leave, but as I did so a hand came up between them— at least, I think it was a hand, for even at close quarters I saw it indistinctly, like the shadows that move only at the periphery of vision.

"No," a voice said, in a soft, musical cadence that reminded me of Welsh, yet wasn't; somehow I knew that without comprehending how, or why. "No, Father, don't close up yet. I wish to be baptised."

For a moment I was rigid with a helpless terror, for as I looked at the hand it seemed evermore a silhouette that seethed with formless motion.

I felt in my bones that it was evil, yet surely evil could not touch this door. Could not come close.

In a fragile stutter I asked, "Who— who are you?"

"A sinner," the voice replied, "yearning to be made clean again, like all others that come here. Why do you ask this of me?"

I knew better than to admit my fear, and so I said, in as brisk a tone as I could muster, "I was just about to leave for the night. Couldn't you possibly come back tomorrow?"

"I'm desperate, Father," the shadow replied, and its hand parted the doors further still as if the heavy oak weight naught. "I want to go to Heaven. Why won't you help me?"

Desperate, it said, but I heard nothing in its voice but an awful breed of humour.

My stare discerned a face, out there, embedded in the night, the hollow smears of eyes and mouth like holes in a dim fog.

Horror compelled me into stillness again. I only stood, regarding the thing in quivering silence.

Until that moment I'd always believed the supernatural visitations detailed in the bible to be solely metaphor, ciphers of God's great lesson. That I'd been so starkly wrong appalled me, and it was only the frantic thought that this was some test of faith that prevented me from fainting listlessly away against the wall.

"Will you turn me from your door?" asked the shadow, quietly.

Its mouth didn't move as it spoke, holding a formless grin. It put me in mind of the paper angels local children decorate their classrooms with at Christmas, frail chains with snipped-out features, flat and quite without dimension.

"Are— are you a child of God?" I stammered, and the figure laughed.

I wish I could forget that sound: soft, and harsh at once, it was, a blighted winter of mirth.

It sickened me.

"A child of God," the shadow repeated. "Yes, Father. I am."

It paused, and it occured to me that perhaps the quickest way to be rid of this creature was to do as it had asked.

"Come in," I said, stumbling back from the doorway. "I'll baptise you. But then you have to leave, do you understand?"

"Of course. Both of us have our homes to return to."

The shadow slipped between the doors into the chill gloom of the church, becoming almost one with it, but for the sense of a far greater darkness within it.

It seemed I couldn't look directly at the creature as it followed me, or else my own self-preservation kept me from such foolishness. I only saw its edges flutter like cinders about some fire, and still I hoped it to be an illusion, poised to fall away when I touched the Holy Water to its forehead.

"Here," I said, to the shadow. "Come to the font. I'll lead you back to the Lord."

"I'm sure you will, Father," the figure replied, almost merrily. "I'm sure you will."

I can barely describe the particular dread that came over me as I stood beside the creature, the fear such as when one wakes in the night to some figment of half-dream stooping over one's mantle. It wasn't that I expected the spirit to injure me, or take my life—I had the sense that it would not, but that the ease with which it might do so amused the being greatly.

I wondered what it meant by toying with me so, dandling my terror as it might some hapless infant.

"Wouldn't you like someone to witness?" I asked, my eyes turned ahead, to the font, like a soldier trained to hold his form regardless of distraction. "There's no one I can call at this time, so—"

"Oh, I have my witnesses," assured the creature, and at once I seemed aware of every shape and shadow about the room, each of them tendrilous and vivid with malign.

My own church had become a trap, a prison whose many inmates roamed free at the beckon of the thing that stood beside me.

With a juddering hand I reached into the font and raised a dripping palmful of holy water. How cold it was, so cold it was like the sear of fire, numbing me to the elbow in its claim.

I raised my arm towards the figure vaguely, not wanting to look at it to find its forehead. The spirit gave a shuddering laugh, and I felt what must have been a hand about my wrist, guiding me, only it felt more like a cluster of feathers in its repulsive softness.

"I baptise you in the name of the Father," I managed to choke out, as water trickled through my fingers, "and of the Son—"

Regret was already upon me in in its swathes, but it was too late by far to draw back the sacrament. It had taken me great courage to extend my hand at all, and I still held fast to hope that the very act might rid me of the intruder, and its hoarde.

The shadow moaned beneath the water, a sound of filth, and pleasure, and yet disgust, the cry of the self flagellant in reverence of the whip. I felt the creature shake its face under the stream like a dog, and wondered that I still held my arm so steady.

"—And of the Holy Spirit," I said, in a rush, and at last pulled back my fist, holding it limply, as though in serving the creature I had broken the bone. "There. It's done. I hope it brings you... peace."

The spirit drew a long breath, another exertion of joy.

"Not that, Father," it whispered. "Never that."

A weird light seemed to come from my left, where the shadow remained; I couldn't help but turn to it, although my eyes could little comprehend what was before them. I can only say now that it was like glimpsing a man through a frosted window at night, only not a man, for the shape of it shivered and changed and thrashed about like many ribbons in the wind.

"You can go now, Father," said the shadow. "You may close the doors behind you. I'll find my own way out, I'm sure."

I made briskly for the exit, not daring to run lest, like a pack of hounds, the creature and its followers might be triggered by instinct to come after me across the churchyard.

Thankfully my house was not far off, merely down the street; I was locked within it in under five minutes, little though such measures would matter to such a being as was after me.

I couldn't sleep, of course, not that I tried. The idea of closing my eyes in the darkness was discarded at once, for had I done so I would have only imagined the fluttering of winged beasts, observing me from every corner.

Instead I sat up on my knees and prayed, prayed to be forgiven for what I'd done, that my mistake would not bring about some deathly consequence.

Yet, as I prayed, I felt an emptiness, which as the hours passed I became convinced was the very absence of God Himself listening to me, whether through His disappointment in my failure or His ceasing to exist I didn't know.

I was definite, however, in that I had opened the gates of Heaven to a great danger. As my frantic abjection deepened I came to the further conclusion that my visitor could only have been the favourite child that God Himself had once cast down. Lucifer, Satan, the Devil— likely he had made vague his appearance so that I wouldn't know him, but I well recalled his beautiful voice, soft and lovely with the silk of evil.

I could have wept, so aghast was I at what I'd done, but sombre dread kept me dry-eyed and grave until red sunrise thumbed its way up the horizon.

The quiet of an absentee God persisted.

Baptised and, thus, returned to his birth place what had the Devil done? Already he might have torn havoc across Heaven, sullying an endless number of innocent souls with his cruelty, recruited angels to his black cause—

And what of God, his greatest enemy?

I should believe the Father to be omnipotent, invulnerable to even Lucifer's warfare, but the longer I pray I cannot help but feel that I am shouting into an open grave.

Now, as I regard my clasped hands, I am apalled that I dared hope I might be cleansed of my mistake. It was my cowardice, after all, that so condemned the God I've served for all my life; I'd known the intruder to be of ill intent, and still I gave him what he asked for, without resistance, without complaint.

Lord, I was an idiot. I know now what I have done.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PatrickUrick t1_ix9ps9d wrote

But, is He not forgiving, father? Whether dead or not, I am sure God would forgive you, father. After all, is it not your duty to forgive the sinners and return lost souls to His flock? You have forgiven the greatest sinner that has ever been, you have done your duty, and for that God wouldn't fault you, I'm sure.

RooMorgue OP t1_ixa1fvs wrote

Thank you. This brings me a lot of peace. I'll reflect on it.

Ao_Andon t1_ix9ufo2 wrote

Faith is a strange thing, Father, for in all the centuries past since the dawn of creation, and all the sermons, services, and prayer in that time, who amongst you has thought to pray for the greatest sinner of them all?

Lost_Manufacturer718 t1_ixa4ea1 wrote

I am curious, father. How can tell god doesn’t hear your prayer? And how do you think Satan alone could take on and defeat God and his cohort?

I’d like to read more of your experience in the coming days.

RooMorgue OP t1_ixag98u wrote

It's a gut feeling, I could be wrong; however I've never once felt that God wasn't listening in some capacity, and that certainty has changed. If He would send some sign— I can't set my hopes so high after what I've seen, but I desperately need it.

PossibleExplination t1_ixb4olx wrote

Too be fair, It's possible that you do not feel God's presence because he is not with YOU, specifically.

SpaceGeneralAmerica t1_ixb5mc3 wrote

Go to Confession, Father, and you will feel God again, and stay your fears. God already beat Satan once, and He'll do it again.

Lifedeath999 t1_ixbs3nb wrote

I would have faith in god. He cast down Lucifer once, he can do it again.

As for your guilt, isn’t it your job to baptize those sinners who wish to go to heaven? I wouldn’t feel bad for correctly performing the job you do on behalf of God.

RooMorgue OP t1_ixc829d wrote

These kind thoughts are getting me through at the moment. I penned all this in a fit of paranoia... I must hold fast and hope that I'm wrong. I can't let myself be shaken...

GuiltyPleasures117 t1_ixboakd wrote

You questioning God is what that "creature" wanted. God is Eternal Father, nothing is impossible to Him. He is always with you, never question that. Satan can't go to Heaven. He's a fallen angel, not a human being. Baptism is for humans. Pray for your faith to strengthen. The Devil can never win

RooMorgue OP t1_ixcmt7h wrote

I only hope that this is true.

GuiltyPleasures117 t1_ixgf59k wrote

Look at all the Saints that the devil literally tormented. Like St. Padre Pio- he physically battled demons in his cell & had Stigmata. St. Faustina, Satan & his demons appeared to her in many forms, tormenting her, trying to trick her, so she wouldn't pray & spread The Chaplet of Divine Mercy which Jesus gave to her himself. These are just 2 examples of Saints & they were in the early 20th century. Pray the Holy Rosary, The most powerful weapon against Satan. Don't lose your faith or doubt bc that's when Satan wins. Trust in Jesus🙏🙏

Justanothersaul t1_ixgv1ah wrote

I do too. You baptised a sinner that asked to turn home, but he never said he repented, did he? I have only seen little children getting baptized, and the priest asks their godparent if they will spiritually guide the child, if they accept God as their Lord, and if they renounce Evil, before giving the Baptism Grace.

RafaeSaBe t1_ixgrq4u wrote

Also, isn't god omniscient and omnipotent? This means he knew and knows everything, right? I wouldn't sweat on it. The only humanity in danger is your own.

konkilo t1_ixcwymg wrote

You might well have doomed all mankind for eternity but you did so with marvelous turns of phrasing.

AkiraHyrule13 t1_ixb4ykl wrote

God forgives those who ask. And you only did your duty. You can’t be faulted in that.

Drow_Sucker t1_ixa8m3e wrote

It has begun. And we shall be victorious.

the_dog2341 t1_ix9dwg3 wrote

You may have created an unstoppable force now.

RooMorgue OP t1_ix9eagp wrote

This is my strongest fear... the worst of it is that I can't even begin to convince anyone of the truth. This is my only chance to warn people. I know it's not enough.

theCHADnextdoor t1_ixc4zas wrote

Im not a christian, whats special about getting baptized, and why is it bad if Satan gets baptaized(isnt he the big bad?)

RooMorgue OP t1_ixc773w wrote

I suspect He wasn't hoping for reprieve but to gain something from the ritual for malicious purposes. Generally baptism is a way to become part of community, to cleanse, start life anew– generally it's seen as a positive step. It's only the atmosphere of the church and the Devil's asides that led me to believe that being baptised, for him, had more unpleasant benefits.

theCHADnextdoor t1_ixc9ydf wrote

oh, thankyou. So in a sense, you let the devil into the holy community, and he must have malicious intentions(coz hes the devil, obviously) to wreak havoc upon someone or something through this? Right?

Reina0520 t1_ixf35fh wrote

First, thank you for sharing.

Secondly, thank you for acting obediently. I believe that Jesus Himself would have baptized the evil one if it meant that He could save His once favored angel from rebellion. You didn't do anything wrong. If you believe that God is omnipotent then you believe that nothing or anyone is more powerful than God. The evil one is a created being just as we were created by God for His Glory. He is only as powerful as the power that is given to him by humanity. Applying this logic then means that when God commands even the evil one obeys. Perhaps, he was being facetious during the baptism because he was annoyed that he had to heed God’s command to be restored. It's like the bully who attempts to make the person being bullied feel bad. They do so because they in fact feel badly about themselves. He was powerless to stop God and was annoyed with you for carrying out your purpose. Like someone else wrote, “why is it that everyone prays for sinners except for the greatest sinner of all?”

Finally, perhaps instead of praying you should focus on the answer to your prayer. If you quiet your mind and soul long enough to listen you may hear those answers.

Be still and know that He is God. With love and light 💛

RooMorgue OP t1_ixf5eeg wrote

Thank you for such a considerate reply!

I've been extremely touched by all the encouragement, and after getting some much needed rest I'm more inclined to agree. Clearly the Devil—and I still believe that is who he was—intended to test my faith and instill fear into my heart. I haven't been without doubt over the years (find me any believer who hasn't) but this has been my life's harshest ordeal.

Understandably so, I suppose, but it is never pleasant to feel one's theology so shaken.

Until there is any true evidence that Satan achieved his implied goal of disturbing God's peace I must assume that he was allowed the baptism for a reason. I must await answers, and trust that all isn't lost as I was so certain it must be in my time of weakness. I must believe that this emptiness I feel is only guilt and fear, which likely the Devil intended, with his tricks and torment.

Since writing my account I've been much reassured by everyone's words, and intend to continue my duties, for all my doubts. If my tormentor returns I hope to rally myself, to challenge the implications of which I've been so afraid.

I'll return with further reports as the weeks go on. As collected as I may sound now I cannot promise I won't be swayed again by what I see or hear.

Reina0520 t1_ixf6f44 wrote

You, one million percent got this! Besides, in reading the responses you've got an impressive group of us lifting you up. It's never easy but always worth it. Ephesians 6:10-18 😉

Happppy_Cryptid t1_ixbx813 wrote

such a strong man of faith. surely you can feel the presence of your god? will you update us again if anything substantial happens?

DaddyCatALSO t1_ixbdcml wrote

If he's seeking reconciliation.

RooMorgue OP t1_ixcc7vw wrote

I wish I could be optimistic but my blood runs cold thinking about every moment of that baptism...

ArgiopeAurantia t1_ixc74za wrote

On the other hand, depending on how this plays out, you could wind up being canonized for truly forgiving the Enemy. The Lord works, as we know, in mysterious ways.

FALLOUTGOD47 t1_ixcmc6h wrote

Wouldn’t that just burn him? Demons and other evil entities seem to react in pain when coming into contact with holy water, and you are basically submerging him fully in holy water.

RooMorgue OP t1_ixcmooo wrote

Initially that's what I believed too, but the fact he was strong enough to touch the church door alone disputes many of the beliefs I once held and preached. If I haven't yet expressed how thoroughly this event has shaken my belief system, I'll say it now: as strong as my faith has always been, what else about the abilities of the Devil and his followers do we truly not know? If I have any further experiences leading from this incident that might shed light on this I'll update everyone.

Trips-Over-Tail t1_ixcpvfp wrote

You will have a place with the Lord yet. At long last He can reward his servants, not merely bring them preferential torment. Though what is the difference, really.

Give it a while and the prayers will start working again. I suggest you alter Communion a little bit, though. This metaphorical shit isn't going to cut it anymore.

RooMorgue OP t1_ixcrn3i wrote

I intend to commit myself more than ever after everyone's encouragement. I always believed a modern approach to the bible's teachings was the way forward— my mistake, for clearly it's set me up for failure. I intend to fortify myself against any further visitations, although what weapons I have that will prove strong considering the little effect of the Holy Water I am unsure. Perhaps it's as you say, and as I've always personally believed, until this event: prayer is the strongest guard against evil.

Trips-Over-Tail t1_ixfdrtj wrote

Like I said, keep sending your prayers up to the Big Man in residence, and do away with the bread and wine. There is sufficient flesh and blood in the congregation.

spectrumtwelve t1_ixcakk5 wrote

You did a kindness true to your faith, let your conscience be clear. God taught you this, he cannot have expected you to do any differently.

Original_Jilliman t1_ixcz247 wrote

You were just doing your job, forgiving a sinner. You didn't betray your Father. Maybe this is just going to be one awkward family reunion in heaven.

M00N3YES t1_ixbhwic wrote

So a demonic entity possibly the devil has visited you…I wonder if any other religions are true then after all why would there only be one truth.

krik7 t1_ixdcvql wrote

Is God that fragile? 🤔

RooMorgue OP t1_ixde35b wrote

I would never consider God fragile, but if you'd witnessed and felt what I have you'd understand my fears. It's less the weakness of God and more the strength of the Devil that concerns me.

krik7 t1_ixdghf9 wrote

I see... Well, hope for the best then... 🙂

althea_alethia t1_ixe1pt4 wrote

If you do not feel the presence of God, you should pray and invite Him to be closer yet again

Edit for clarification

RooMorgue OP t1_ixe25q3 wrote

I plan to. In some ways I regret my mind leaping so immediately to catastrophe, although on so little sleep and so shaken it's only to be expected. After taking a short break for my own well being I hope to return to my post, and continue to pray and reflect. Perhaps all isn't lost as I feared... Time will tell.

Just_A_Redditor1984 t1_ixebv9p wrote

Perhaps the feeling of emptiness you had while praying isn’t a grave, but a hole to be filled in your faith, Christ cried out “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” When he was crucified, I hope your journey will be as fulfilling as his

Feenie13 t1_ixisk17 wrote

Your late night visitor might want to wreak havoc upon Heaven, yes, but I want to believe in a better outcome: that he genuinely wanted to be born anew. Even the most ardent sinner can turn a new leaf, I believe.

I suppose we’ll see in time, but I hope his intent was never to harm.

clownind t1_ixe31q2 wrote

You should probably look into scientology now....