Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ComplexKodak t1_jcnddi5 wrote

Staten Island = cops and firefighters. Insane overtime and 24 hour shifts...

Kooky_Performance116 t1_jcojq4d wrote

It’s funny I know there is a lot of cops and firefighters in Staten Island. But growing up I only knew of 2 kids who’s fathers were a cop or firefighter.

CaroleBaskinsBurner t1_jcqlw2v wrote

Only 10% of NYPD cops live on Staten Island. There's a higher percentage living in every other borough but Manhattan.

It's just a meme that everyone assumes is true.

https://gothamist.com/news/this-interactive-map-shows-you-where-nypd-officers-live

Grass8989 t1_jcqogti wrote

Which makes sense considering Manhattan has the highest cost of living of any of the boroughs. Another “reddit fallacy”

CaroleBaskinsBurner t1_jcqplr4 wrote

True, indeed. I assume the cops living in Manhattan are living in rent controlled apartments they grew up in, or still living with family. Probably mostly Black and Hispanic cops living Uptown. But idk for sure.

Kooky_Performance116 t1_jcqzjf8 wrote

Oh wow that’s funny. I’m from Staten Island and just assumed that was the case cause so many people said it. I guess that explains why I knew of only one kids pops who was a cop and literally nobody I know socially who is.

smoove t1_jd0w26y wrote

Interesting article. There is a higher percentage of cops by population in Staten Island though. 10% of cops live there compared to 16% in Brooklyn but Brooklyn has over 5x as many people as SI so they have more cops per capita.

CaroleBaskinsBurner t1_jd0xes4 wrote

Yeah, but that's not what people are usually talking about when they come on here and circlejerk about how "most cops live on Staten Island."

nyc98 t1_jcsefws wrote

Staten Island has a population of about 500K, let's say it's 250K people of working age. There are about 50K cops+firefighters in NYC. Who are the other 200K people living there? Garbagemen and nurses?

CactusBoyScout t1_jcnl8em wrote

Staten Island also has the longest average commutes of any place nationwide, iirc.

higgtree t1_jcqv43x wrote

Can confirm... I live in the South Shore and commute to FiDi is either 1 hour to up to 3 hours there sometimes... Depending on traffic, weather, if my bus chooses to run on a regular schedule etc. Thank god for flex time.

DryGumby t1_jcrblsy wrote

3 hours?? Takes about as long to get from NYC to Baltimore, do you plan on moving?

higgtree t1_jcrd4xk wrote

When my husband retires, maybe. We're from North Jersey originally. I still have to go to the city, so it would take me half the time from there.

It's actually not so bad as long as the bus is running on time. My mortgage is locked in at a good rate since we bought it in 2014, so it's affordable living out here. I'm probably not as sleep deprived as most from here lol

sutisuc t1_jcu7fot wrote

Oh damn it’s usually Staten Island to NJ not the other way around

higgtree t1_jcu93qr wrote

Yeah lol city employment brought us there... We've been out here about 18 years now. It's honestly just like North Jersey, traffic and all.

AngelaLambert OP t1_jcn068g wrote

New York State itself, 39% of adults report sleeping an average of under 7 hours a night, compared to the U.S. average of 35%. So it's def up there! Definitely not as bad as the meth belt, though.

Edit to add: I'd love any insights on why this is the case!

Grass8989 t1_jcn8jn9 wrote

I’d imagine probably insane commutes combined with having family duties and children.

Mariowario64 t1_jcnlo5f wrote

I find the emergency services explanation more compelling. Long commutes and family obligations are present in most parts of the NY metro area, but Staten Island is the only part of the metro area that is present in this list.

Sams_Butter_Sock t1_jcpzgdz wrote

Where else in the city is the commute up to a hour and a half on a good day. Like it’s better to just move to PA at that pount

Main_Photo1086 t1_jcrjsuo wrote

First, it’s way worse coming from NJ or PA to NYC now that more people moved out of the city during the pandemic so the commutes are no longer comparable. Also, I’ve had both long driving commutes and long mass transit commutes - no contest, driving is the absolute worst. It just feels so much longer because at least on the bus I can pass the time doing anything but driving.

sutisuc t1_jcu7ozd wrote

There’s spots in NJ (where hundreds of thousands of people live) that are less than 20 minutes by train from the central business district of Manhattan. How do you figure that’s worse than the people in the far reaches of the outerboroughs that have 1-2 hour one way commutes?

Main_Photo1086 t1_jcu931i wrote

The person I responded to literally mentioned PA. My statement about NJ was about further-flung places in NJ closer to PA, not like Hoboken.

Sams_Butter_Sock t1_jcsnglv wrote

Most People take the bus from pa and nj. Everyone knows driving blows

Main_Photo1086 t1_jct9t5t wrote

what’s your source for “most”? Because I’m pretty sure you’re incorrect.

oreosfly t1_jcnsvzw wrote

SI has some of the longest average commutes in the country.

> https://www.silive.com/news/2015/09/staten_island_keeps_spot_among.html

The average one way commute in the United States is 27.6 minutes. Obnoxiously long commutes are pretty common NY metro area but Staten Island and the Bronx are absolute monstrosities compared to the rest of the country.

> https://www.silive.com/data/2022/05/new-york-counties-with-the-longest-commutes-where-does-staten-island-rank.html

[deleted] t1_jcpcm8h wrote

[deleted]

−1

anarchyx34 t1_jcpjr7b wrote

Really really good is a bit of a stretch and depends on where you live. There are some areas with zero (I mean nothing, not even buses) public transit. The free train sounds great but it often runs only every 30 mins and sometimes not at all on the weekends due to track work. I live in New Dorp which has a multitude of transit options, but recently I needed to take the bus to Mariner’s harbor and it took 1.5 hours. If I drove it would have been 20 minutes top. Ironically I didn’t drive that day because I was picking my car up from a repair shop there.

I do use local transit here but only when it happens to work out for the situation.

For off the boro transit, it also depends on the situation, but try catching a Manhattan bound SIM1 in the evening during rush hour. Literally 1hr+ wait times.

redditorium t1_jcp54jw wrote

But Rip Van Winkle is probably bringing our sleep time average up a lot

Casamance t1_jcns699 wrote

Can confirm. Used to wake up at 5:45 for my 8:10 A.M. classes at CUNY. 90 minute commute, both ways, on three different modes of transportation: bus, ferry, train. Wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

FarFromSane_ t1_jcrbfx4 wrote

Did you ever barely miss a 6 train at Grand Central, only to barely catch up to it by running up the escalator/stairs at 59th?

[deleted] t1_jcpa5c1 wrote

[deleted]

−1

Casamance t1_jcpac62 wrote

Yeah but Hunter gave me a full ride + I liked being in Manhattan despite the torturous commute, probably wouldn't be the same person today if I went to CSI

aceshighsays t1_jd1kuex wrote

did you like hunter? i ended up transfering to SUNY.

Casamance t1_jd1r4cx wrote

Yes, although it was a commuter school, I made an effort to join various clubs like the Fencing club, radio, etc and through those places I met a whole bunch of people who I still talk to today, 6 years after graduating in 2017. If I could go back in time and choose again I would gladly choose Hunter. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of issues with the school, but all in all I wouldn't be the person that I am today if I didn't go to that particular school in that particular borough (Manhattan)

aceshighsays t1_jd2dxie wrote

i never thought about joining clubs because my commute was so long, and my class schedule was all over the place. i overall struggled to make friends, and the few that i made we didn't keep friendships going because the following semester we wouldn't share classes or have very different schedules. i do wonder now if i lived closer to campus, would i have stayed or still transferred...

with that said, even though my SUNY experience was a lot better (in terms of making and keeping friends), it didn't fundamentally change me.

JorgenVonStrangleYou t1_jco1ekv wrote

This is one of the reasons they should improve transit on Staten Island to shorten commutes. Taking half an hour out of commute times everyday would go a long way to getting better sleep.

Kooky_Performance116 t1_jcojf8b wrote

A combination of commute times, a lot of people with kids and a huge part of the borough working a blue collar job where if they aren’t at work they don’t get paid.

Even if you’re the lucky few who get to live and work a reasonable job on the island traffic is a nightmare. The islands road layout wasn’t built for 500k + people. It can take you a good hour or better to get from one side of the island to the other on a moderate traffic day. It sometime takes me longer to get to my parents crib in the middle of the island by car then it does to get to midtown.

The road problem might be a lost cause there’s no way to fix that without demoing peoples properties. But more train routes within the island at the very lease will help a lot.

milespudgehalter t1_jcota3e wrote

The issue is also that the highway network of Staten Island was never completed -- had the MLK and Richmond Parkway been extended as intended, we wouldn't have the massive traffic clusterfuck that plagues the middle of Staten Island during rush hour.

actualhumanwaste t1_jcpv6yf wrote

Yeah another train line that goes from the west shore to east shore would be incredible. But I don’t see any way to fix the buses here since they share the same roads that cars do. Situation seems hopeless rn…

MrNewking t1_jcojseq wrote

They need to remove more car lanes and build bike lanes.

−6

Kooky_Performance116 t1_jcoksi3 wrote

That would make it worse. Most of the major roads/main arteries are already only 2 lanes wide if that. A majority of the time you have to serve in and out cause people are doubled parked or straight up illegally parked in one of the lanes lol

milespudgehalter t1_jcot1o7 wrote

glares at Richmond Road between Dongan Hills and Grasmere

Kooky_Performance116 t1_jcotqgx wrote

Don’t get me started lol How do all those illegally park cars by the berry homes and baci not get ticketed? Im pretty sure a majority of that stretch has no standing signs. But yet there’s cars just legit parked there all the time lol.

AnotherUselessPoster t1_jcq0mcf wrote

Connecting the SIRT to the rest of the system would do wonders for traffic/commute issues. But, of course, the bridge would lose money and we can't have that.

nyc98 t1_jcsewvp wrote

MTA is happy spending billions on adding an extra line to Manhattan which already has almost every subway line available. Yet, there's a borough which has no direct rail connection because it would be too expensive to dig a tunnel.

D14DFF0B t1_jcylo5m wrote

And yet the SAS carries more people daily than live in SI.

nyc98 t1_jd65q2v wrote

True, but these people have about 20 other options, while people of SI have no subway connection to other boroughs and only one ferry launch location. On an island.

D14DFF0B t1_jd67jnr wrote

And that's a known limitation of living on SI. People are free to move to better-connected towns in NJ or Eastern Queens if they want a suburban life.

Or maybe they should start electing pro-transit representatives.

nyc98 t1_jdm3fd7 wrote

At 2.5 billion per mile, SAS perhaps is one of the worst investments in the infrastructure and by far the most expensive subway line in the world. Why would anyone spend so much in a borough that already has like 20 other subway lines is a mystery. It obviously made the lives of some people more convenient but at this cost I doubt that this convenience is worth it. There are so many other transit projects which would make way more difference to people's lives. SAS is a total waste, in my opinion. That money could have been spent in other boroughs of NYC. If everyone hates SI so much, it could have been Queens.

WSB111 t1_jcr8sg3 wrote

I live in SI and sleep very well with such quietness and fresh air this place has to offer

whoneedscarpet t1_jcnnt94 wrote

Additionally, it has the least electricity.

Candid_Yam_5461 t1_jcp8bdy wrote

Nthing the shit about commutes. I wound up living 10-15 minutes on foot from the ferry for a year a while back... and I was still like 90 minutes from everywhere. Midtown, Bushwick, even a job in DUMBO right by the private ferry... with the transit layout, ~90 minutes. Honestly the ferry ride portion is the nicest commute I've ever had, great to wake up to the harbor with some swill terminal coffee, but not worth it.

akoelb91 t1_jcqjwyh wrote

no time to sleep when you’re too busy commuting

Main_Photo1086 t1_jcrk9v4 wrote

One way to fix the commutes would be to get more ferries from around the perimeter of the island and not just going to Manhattan, but Brooklyn too. I have no hope the roads can be improved nor do I expect another train line, but ferries would be more doable. Especially one from the south shore.

nyc98 t1_jcsf3xe wrote

It is weird that an island has only one spot from where ferries can launch. Adding more NYC ferry terminals would definitely help.

angelsplight t1_jcww7ud wrote

I know a lot of people decided to buy houses there because it is a newly developing? area with semi-affording houses right now. But the commute just makes it not worth it.

Know some people who moved there in the past 2 years and now quit their jobs to find something more local because the commute was such a hassle with bus+ferry+train combined to ruin any morning.

bxyankee90 t1_jcp3g9k wrote

This explains a lot about Staten Island

Sams_Butter_Sock t1_jcpz90p wrote

Doesn’t help that their commute is longer than people coming from PA

StuntMedic t1_jd4upio wrote

Is it from listening to the turkeys fuck all night?

Darrkman t1_jctohiv wrote

Hard to sleep when you're trying to buy heroin and blues while saying that Black and Hispanic New Yorkers are the problem.

Hahahaha what a joke of a boro.

−5

BreadBoxin t1_jcomq41 wrote

I'd lay awake at night if I lived in mf SI too. Probably thinking about how to get tf outta there

−7

__Corvus99__ t1_jco98w5 wrote

Why stay up? There’s nothing to do there lol

−12