Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

juniperaza t1_j6cfm39 wrote

On top of the fact that we’re probably responsible for their country’s destabilization.

PS: let’s not pretend like the Pentagon won’t come with some documents 50 years later regarding the CIA going ‘’Oh that whole thing with Venezuela in 2023? That was all us because you know national security, oil — oops I mean — the safety of our country blah blah’’

pk10534 t1_j6ddqwm wrote

I mean, not really, to the second part. It is true the US was technically involved with Venezuela’s demise, but not as directly as you’re making it sound. Chavez hinged the entire economy and welfare state off of unusually expensive gas prices, and openly installed cronies at PdVSA. When US shale production shot up, OPEC slashed prices to kill it and in exchange the Venezuelan economy started to collapse (endemic corruption and mismanagement also seriously exacerbated the conditions). US sanctions have certainly made the situation worse, but it doesn’t take a Columbia economics professor to tell you it isn’t a good idea to budget entirely off the royalties from a commodity subject to extreme fluctuation.

GeorgeWBush2016 t1_j6d10ms wrote

our meddling in Venezuela is all out in the open; from the sanctions, to the plot to install Juan Guiado, to the laughable 2020 coup attempt. I'm sure there is even more nefariousness that we are unaware of, but there is plenty that is well documented.

iv2892 t1_j6dhoh1 wrote

Let’s not pretend that Maduro is a dictator that’s caused many Venezuelans to scrap food out of garbage containers . But unfortunately very rarely does US intervention makes things better

iv2892 t1_j6e82tf wrote

Im sorry , I said let’s not pretend that Maduro isn’t a piece of shit that deserves to be in prison

Pow_Ping t1_j6d0q82 wrote

What brand of tinfoil do you normally use for your hats? Reynold's?

−8