Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PostPostMinimalist t1_j6a6ejs wrote

I mean people have been selling candy in the subway forever.

Mpnav1 t1_j6csd3k wrote

If that was an American, they would just be panhandling. Good start at their path to the American dream!

Amon213 t1_j6d3cru wrote

The meritocracy is lie. She's most likely going to be doing that all her life.

gmml4 t1_j6e3sre wrote

I’m not sure it’s so simple

IdTheDemon t1_j6lrsp2 wrote

Excuse me ladies and gentlemen!

I’m out here selling candy! Not for a basketball team but for me to make money so I can keep selling you candy! All I have is peanut m&m’s and yellow starburst!

[deleted] t1_j6bwrht wrote

[deleted]

−21

rockmanexe123 t1_j6byka9 wrote

You can buy a box of those sets from Costco or bjs for only a few dollars, sell each at 2 a piece and there’s a profit

IRequirePants t1_j6bz9l6 wrote

> You can buy a box of those sets from Costco or bjs for only a few dollars,

Do migrants tend to have a Costco or BJs membership?

rockmanexe123 t1_j6bzceh wrote

they usually share them across different families or friends and pay for it together

IRequirePants t1_j6bzz52 wrote

...do they? Can I ask for a source?

−21

rockmanexe123 t1_j6c0nxq wrote

Mainly based off my experience growing up as a migrant family in nyc and talking to other people along with their experiences. Everyone is different so I doubt my explanation fits the norm but it’s what I’ve seen the most growing up.

[deleted] t1_j6c1c3c wrote

[deleted]

−51

Freddy-Sez t1_j6c4dhy wrote

Costco made $6B last year. I think they’ll survive some poor people sharing memberships to go buy things there

Abtorias t1_j6caqly wrote

Yea, because i really give a fuck migrants are sharing a Costco or BJs membership. Wait until you find out how many people i share my Crunchyroll account with, dork.

mad0666 t1_j6cx824 wrote

Won’t anyone think of Costco 😭😭

jay5627 t1_j6cyweg wrote

Let me guess, you don't share your Netflix, or other streaming passwords either

liltay-k47 t1_j6c04hm wrote

It depends, I remember friends of mine did that in middle school and they convinced the deli man to pay them what he paid for the boxes after he sold them, then kind of just kept that going. I’m sure some people steal them, but there’s a bunch of ways to do it. The article says that one woman was given the box by a shelter worker, another was given the box at the store after saying she had no money, and another bought them for half of wholesale price on the block. They just recently got her too, so I’m sure you can imagine if you have long-standing ties to a shopkeeper or something it can be easier

Bubbly_Experience694 t1_j6ct9pw wrote

Stealing bad. Keeping entire families in a cycle of desperate poverty totally fine.

−3

Hikaritoyamino t1_j6byl92 wrote

Students who attend NYC public schools sometimes receive candy boxes to sell to raise funds for their trips. Back in my day, we could get a box for $25 and sell the 50-count inside for $50, at the MSRP.

Those candies the migrants are selling are school candies.

−6

eelvist t1_j6c60x6 wrote

Why do you care if it’s stolen from Duane reade? That’s a massive company that isn’t affected at all by a few stolen candy bars, meanwhile it makes a massive difference to the poor migrants who are literally starving on our streets

−14

Dont_mute_me_bro t1_j6cq5fe wrote

My mom's Duane Read closed due to high theft.. Now a 90 year old woman has to hike 11 blocks instead of 4. Thanks.

[deleted] t1_j6bxel3 wrote

[deleted]

−16

liltay-k47 t1_j6bzv3y wrote

Ny post is right wing swill and they still say in the article how the women got the candy. Don’t think you know these people, don’t think you live in those communities, and I don’t even think you live here. At least read the article before posting

Sad-Principle3781 t1_j6cdts3 wrote

yea, this is better than the band of migrants who were arrested for shoplifting from Macy's the other day. Let's keep welcoming them in with open arms and see how city and country develops from the influx of people.

−25

Figbud t1_j6ecvkk wrote

Honestly yeah, migrants have done nothing but ruin this place. They built a bunch of concrete, have no respect for nature, and killed all of the people who live here. I hate immigrants !!1!

Junk-trash t1_j6e2jco wrote

Migrants are less likely to steal (and commit any crime) than people born in the USA

mad0666 t1_j6cx4sd wrote

Macy’s sucks, they deserve to be robbed for how horribly they treat their employees.

−11

ECK-2188 t1_j6acxjk wrote

Oh that’s who they are. Thought they were just the typical hustlers we see everyday in the train.

Albeit it’s a better sell than hearing “SHOWTIME!” on your way home.

P0stNutClarity t1_j6azi6z wrote

I think part of the reason the MTA expanded to those double poles was to stop them 💀

ECK-2188 t1_j6b52yp wrote

I’m all for people getting their hustle bag. I just would like to not run the risk of getting clocked in the face by a teenager practicing his stripper pole maneuvers.

Schwickity t1_j6brbaz wrote

Have you ever seen anyone get injured or hit by a showtime? I haven’t.

−41

Pow_Ping t1_j6d0a8n wrote

Actually yea, a few times. Lol. If you're doing wild spinning moves on a pole in the middle of a half-packed train, there's no surprise if you accidentally hit someone or bump into them. I'm not saying that the kids did it on purpose, but they also lacked the common sense to move to a less packed car.

Dantheking94 t1_j6dur4w wrote

It’s more common for them to injure themselves tbh

Pow_Ping t1_j6er15k wrote

I believe that. It doesn't look like an easy sport/hobby. Most of them are super impressive.

Dantheking94 t1_j6ewosm wrote

Yeh honestly if nyc really cared about culture, they could make it a city sport contest lol. With a mock-up train cart.

kraftpunkk t1_j6anu7a wrote

No disrespect but I swear I’ve seen that lady in yellow since 2019.

BreadBoxin t1_j6j2y8j wrote

Bruh I remember when she was younger. They been doing this as a family for YEARS. She has a kid now. Good to see she's doing well?

Entire-Builder-9836 t1_j6mms8u wrote

“Well” she got knocked up and has been selling candy on the subway to subsist…probably shouldn’t have hopped the border if this is the good life tbh

iv2892 t1_j6blvb4 wrote

Why are there so many bad takes on this thread ? Are these migrant not allowed to make a living , they have endured so much yet they never attack anybody , (well as far as I know atleast )

juniperaza t1_j6cfm39 wrote

On top of the fact that we’re probably responsible for their country’s destabilization.

PS: let’s not pretend like the Pentagon won’t come with some documents 50 years later regarding the CIA going ‘’Oh that whole thing with Venezuela in 2023? That was all us because you know national security, oil — oops I mean — the safety of our country blah blah’’

pk10534 t1_j6ddqwm wrote

I mean, not really, to the second part. It is true the US was technically involved with Venezuela’s demise, but not as directly as you’re making it sound. Chavez hinged the entire economy and welfare state off of unusually expensive gas prices, and openly installed cronies at PdVSA. When US shale production shot up, OPEC slashed prices to kill it and in exchange the Venezuelan economy started to collapse (endemic corruption and mismanagement also seriously exacerbated the conditions). US sanctions have certainly made the situation worse, but it doesn’t take a Columbia economics professor to tell you it isn’t a good idea to budget entirely off the royalties from a commodity subject to extreme fluctuation.

GeorgeWBush2016 t1_j6d10ms wrote

our meddling in Venezuela is all out in the open; from the sanctions, to the plot to install Juan Guiado, to the laughable 2020 coup attempt. I'm sure there is even more nefariousness that we are unaware of, but there is plenty that is well documented.

iv2892 t1_j6dhoh1 wrote

Let’s not pretend that Maduro is a dictator that’s caused many Venezuelans to scrap food out of garbage containers . But unfortunately very rarely does US intervention makes things better

iv2892 t1_j6e82tf wrote

Im sorry , I said let’s not pretend that Maduro isn’t a piece of shit that deserves to be in prison

Pow_Ping t1_j6d0q82 wrote

What brand of tinfoil do you normally use for your hats? Reynold's?

−8

Bralesslover t1_j6bm4ww wrote

They also sell bottled water by the side of highways (sometimes on the highway) in the summers.

agpc t1_j6hqhzq wrote

They sell all sorts of shit in stop and go traffic on Bronx express way.

[deleted] t1_j6as5jp wrote

I always buy from ppl selling candies or w/e If I have cash on me. Gotta support honest living

earlymountainrain t1_j6acw6f wrote

I submitted a Tip to let them know about tamales.

ECK-2188 t1_j6af4wm wrote

No one beats independent Mexican lady selling tamales in the street. Hands down the perfect amount of seasoning for the tomatillo salsa verde

😘🤌🏼

DaveyNicks t1_j6btmwh wrote

Read the comments on that article and the same people always say the nastiest things.

Dantheking94 t1_j6duiu2 wrote

I really HATE NY Post and I wish there was a consensus to not read their hyper conservative drivel. They’re basically Fox News but worse in some ways because it’s like they create this shit out of thin air.

1st off NYers have been selling snacks on the subways since like forever. It goes through phases where it’s super common and then uncommon. At one point it was so many of them selling that when one left your cart, another one walked in almost IMMEDIATELY after. They even had a rule amongst each other to not sell in the same cart at the same time to avoid fights (I witnessed a few). And I much preferred them than the endless line if begging that usually occurred at the worst times like rush hour. Nothing worse than a packed train and a homeless person begging in a packed train.

2nd I’m highly uncomfortable in the usage of these individuals faces plastered across this article. It seems wrong somehow and I doubt they were told their pictures would end up being used this way. Another low from NYPost.

Junk-trash t1_j6e2xi7 wrote

Yeah I’m convinced the NY post target audience is people who never lived here

Dantheking94 t1_j6e3h8l wrote

Yes but they also have a hold on the upper middle class NIMBYs who never usually take the subway or live right outside of the city, and those folks eat this crap up.

Pork-Roll t1_j6bb7lp wrote

At least it isn't someeone trying to stripper pole dance or someone selling bootleg jewelery

smallint t1_j6cuhk9 wrote

Looks like the basketball team kids have some competition. Maybe prices will be lower now.

Vex-valkyrie t1_j6cct1d wrote

I have mad respect for these people, even if I don’t always have the $ on hand to purchase for now or later.

arandomnewyorker t1_j6bk5yw wrote

Ive seen her a few times on my morning commute but I never have cash on me :/

stewartm0205 t1_j6fhx3u wrote

At least they are trying. I hope they succeed.

DarkMetroid567 t1_j6bq6k2 wrote

The gum they sell has come in clutch on more than a few occasions.

YanAndrukhov t1_j6bdnvu wrote

Ive been seeing them every day, almost on all of the lines ive been working on

stork38 t1_j6dvxcp wrote

Only members of this sub would accept and enjoy the fact that we are allowing migrants to panhandle and expose their kids to the health and physical hazards of the subway for 8 hours a day, because we want our snickers bars or tamales

Junk-trash t1_j6e3fmy wrote

What’s the alternative being presented?

funforyourlife t1_j6huqwa wrote

A system where goods are sold at licensed vendors who have to conform to laws and codes so that society can function as a predictable experience to enrich the lives of everyone equally?

Junk-trash t1_j6hvwj2 wrote

How does that solve the migrants problem though?

nybx4life t1_j6i8zvw wrote

You mean those vendors that are established on some platforms?

They exist already.

Doesn't solve the issue migrants have.

DickCheney666 t1_j6eexgx wrote

Competition for the young lads selling candy to fund their basketball teams!

volkommm t1_j6fp9fn wrote

This is news why exactly?

jeffsayno t1_j6cyvse wrote

ive been buying every day i go home

hangrywich t1_j6dkd5x wrote

They always have a baby on their back and crossing to another car when train is in motion. I want to give them money but it’ll only reward this risky behavior and one day a child will die.

AutoModerator t1_j6a2gfl wrote

Users often report submissions from this site and ask us to ban it for sensationalized articles. At /r/nyc, we oppose blanket banning any news source. Readers have a >responsibility to be skeptical, check sources and comment on any flaws. You can help improve this thread by linking to media that verifies or questions this article's claims. Your link could help readers better understand this issue. If you do find >evidence that this article or its title are false or misleading, contact the moderators who will review it.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

fictionrules t1_j6gf5x9 wrote

I felt like I had seen an uptick in candy bar sales on the subway.

nybx4life t1_j6i8tpa wrote

Yep, but I thought it was a tad too early for kids to be doing fundraiser sales.

Leo_The_Dumbass t1_j6hm1d9 wrote

I saw her on the F last week. Unfortunately didn’t have any cash on me :(

manateefourmation t1_j6gorhy wrote

NYpost - not sure this is legit. According to them Trump also won the election.

Guypussy t1_j6a8af0 wrote

Did Georgia Worrell and Melissa Klein buy any?

−1

jeffsayno t1_j6czkih wrote

These are THE BEST New Yorkers. We are lucky to have them

−3

volkommm t1_j6fxy9z wrote

Are they really the best, though? And are we really lucky to have them? They are selling candy bars on the train. You can't be serious.

jeffsayno t1_j6jyguh wrote

They and their kids will be working harder than everybody else and a higher percentage of their income goes right back into the general economy.

neutralnuke t1_j6ax4h0 wrote

I’ve bought a couple of times when the kids are young. I’ve only noticed this in last few months after the migrant surge. Need to get them temporary work permits or something.

−15

MemoLePewPew5 t1_j6az44g wrote

Got news for you buddy: They got to get in line. New Yorkers first, we still have a long queue of Immigrants here in the city to go through

−6

chale122 t1_j6bdvt9 wrote

what line, what are you babbling about

newestindustry t1_j6a8iij wrote

Deport all New York Post readers

−25

nycdataviz t1_j6awidp wrote

Not sure if you’re unaware but NYP is one of the few remaining large newspapers that provide local NYC news.

newestindustry t1_j6axrtp wrote

Yeah it’s a tabloid by idiots for idiots

nycdataviz t1_j6ay84e wrote

It has about half of the circulation of the NYT, while covering literally just one city. It’s far more than a tabloid, and it’s one of the leading ways that residents get informed about what’s going on in the city now that NYT ceased local coverage.

iv2892 t1_j6blp6c wrote

The problem with the post is that they make too many inflammatory headlines and they seem to enjoy posting about all the negatives

nycdataviz t1_j6btus5 wrote

What’s wrong with that, though? You don’t think NYT does that exact same thing, but with far left sensibilities in their place?

−2

iv2892 t1_j6bzskc wrote

They do it , and many left wing media like msnbc and cnn . But the NY post goes overboard with the fear mongering

Junk-trash t1_j6e37jh wrote

Not even close to the same level

nycdataviz t1_j6e77du wrote

News is news. We’re all adults. If it’s factually true then it’s fit to print.

Or do you want to regulate the newspapers?

Junk-trash t1_j6e8hu6 wrote

NY post doesnt have the same level of factual standards thats why people say its a tabloid

nycdataviz t1_j6eig9x wrote

So do you want to regulate “the truth” to prevent people from reading NYP?

Junk-trash t1_j6er4f4 wrote

Nah read whatever you want

People can get their news from 4chan if they want to, Im just saying its a bad choice

newestindustry t1_j6ayfaw wrote

What makes you say the New York Times has no local coverage, other than the fact that other stupid people on this subreddit say that?

And the New York Post only covers NY? Go look at todays cover. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

nycdataviz t1_j6azt32 wrote

Every newspaper in the country is covering Memphis this week. That doesn’t mean they aren’t local newspapers anymore.

NYT is strategically phasing out its local section and has dramatically reduced coverage in the last 5 years, to a more than 50% reduction. I’m surprised you don’t know about that? Were you unaware?

newestindustry t1_j6b10gv wrote

>It has about half of the circulation of the NYT, while covering literally just one city

You even said "literally".

>NYT is strategically phasing out its local section and has dramatically reduced coverage in the last 5 years, to a more than 50% reduction.

Source? Especially for the 50% number

−1

nycdataviz t1_j6b1t0i wrote

You’d think such a big fan of the NYT as yourself would’ve realized their metro section has been dramatically downsized 🥴

It happened in 2017, and they literally announced it.

You awake bud? Do you want me to fill you in about COVID and Cuomo too?

newestindustry t1_j6b2mrg wrote

Post a source, especially for the 50% number that you cited. Unless you made it up!

nycdataviz t1_j6b35ii wrote

You can't find out yourself how many dedicated metro reporters work at NYT today vs 2016?

Should be easy enough for an NYT-informed dude like you. After all I'm just a NYP-reading moron.

newestindustry t1_j6b4iok wrote

Do you have a source or not?

nycdataviz t1_j6b9usv wrote

'The New York Times Turns Its Sights Away From New York City' Paul Moses'

'A ‘New York’ Paper Takes a Look in the Mirror' Liz Spayd

newestindustry t1_j6bbdvw wrote

Neither of those support a 50% reduction in coverage since 2016. Enjoy the Post!

nycdataviz t1_j6bblbs wrote

You didn't read closely enough it seems. I said the section faced an overall 50% reduction, as of 2016. The fact that you weren't aware of the change in strategy makes me wonder if you're a NYP reader yourself. How could you not have noticed the reduction of the local section?

newestindustry t1_j6bckh3 wrote

You said today vs 2016, not 2016 vs before 2016. Half truths and outright lies, no wonder you worship the Post. Let’s not keep this conversation going. Enjoy your shit tabloid.

Junk-trash t1_j6e3ng7 wrote

Fox news has a lot of viewership, doesnt make them not idiots lol

nycdataviz t1_j6e73co wrote

Your voting eligibility and participation in democracy has nothing to do with whether Junk-trash on Reddit thinks you’re an idiot, fortunately.

−1

Junk-trash t1_j6e897o wrote

Absolutely! I would never take away the idiots’ voting rights even if I could. 🇺🇸

superangry2 t1_j6ail17 wrote

Honest question - not being a troll. How was life wherever they were that this is better?

−25

SexyEdMeese t1_j6apmj2 wrote

Where would you want to have your kids educated? NYC public schools or somewhere in rural central america?

Also remember there are tons of public benefits in NYC that don't exist in their home country.

nycdataviz t1_j6awawj wrote

But why don’t more of the population from Central America migrate to NYC? Lots of good free public services, free education, and jobs for them. What’s stopping them and why aren’t we doing more to facilitate the process.

−21

chale122 t1_j6bdrcf wrote

not everyone outside of the U.S. is poor

nycdataviz t1_j6bevpp wrote

76.6% of Venezuelans live on less than $1.90 a day, the international standard for extreme poverty.

https://datatopics.worldbank.org/world-development-indicators/themes/poverty-and-inequality.html

chale122 t1_j6bf5d9 wrote

Cool, also irrelevant and unhinged response to what I wrote.

−11

nycdataviz t1_j6bfirp wrote

So... Citing.... WorldBank statistics... on poverty... when discussing poverty ... is ...

"Unhinged."

chale122 t1_j6bhbq1 wrote

I said not everyone outside the U.S. is poor and you responded with one random country and a percentage. Either way good luck arguing with yourself any further than this. Bye troll.

−5

nycdataviz t1_j6bkh1d wrote

I never said everyone outside the U.S. is poor. Do you believe they are?

b104747849 t1_j6b9hwp wrote

Look into how immigration affects nations. When you deregulate it, your nation could crumble. Germany had a serious issue by letting anyone come through. Crime was rampant, the new year rape debacle etc etc

nycdataviz t1_j6bamz5 wrote

NY offers these newcomers a new chance at life, though? They are coming from very poor and hopeless situations. Don't they deserve to be able to come here, just like the migrants that were sent here by bus?

Isn't it a good thing that migrants can escape their countries in very large numbers and come to New York for a better quality of life? I thought that was the whole idea around why immigration is important.

−5

[deleted] t1_j6alymm wrote

[deleted]

−5

SexyEdMeese t1_j6apuxk wrote

> They usually come from places that the American government destabilized in order to privatize and profit from their natural resources and workforce.

Lol shoehorning this kind of thing into every post is very weird especially when you're wrong.

dontbealuddyduddy t1_j6bcpj4 wrote

Thanks, this is the gist of what I was going to say. We actively destabilize countries then act surprised when people immigrate here from the areas we’ve fucked. It’s a vicious, never ending cycle. Not hard to see once you put in the time analyzing it and studying migration patterns in relation to US foreign policy

[deleted] t1_j6c9qww wrote

[deleted]

dontbealuddyduddy t1_j6gq3fh wrote

It’s awesome you’re actively speaking out and trying to better inform people. Only way to possibly create a better future .. for all, not just the powerful