Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Accomplished_Crab392 t1_j7uqyah wrote

As much as the organization of PPA can F off, I’ve had pleasant interactions with a lot of them, one even helped me when my car was stolen. Idk why you’d want to do that job, but I figure it’s not most peoples first, second or fifth choice.

kilometr t1_j7v1ad9 wrote

I think for a job with minimal qualifications it probably pays well. You get to walk around for exercise too and I bet the benefits are good

Capkirk0923 t1_j7whv0n wrote

City jobs are awesome if stability, benefits, and union protection are what you like. And, once you're in the system, you can always apply to other, better paying city jobs. It's been a ticket to the middle class for many people.

Firm_Airport2816 t1_j7ypgos wrote

Its actually a state job, the PPA is run by the state of PA, not the city...even better, I'd assume.

Capkirk0923 t1_j7yzjus wrote

Yeah, I think you're right. I have a government job, and if you're an artist like me, it's really the best. Your boss won't call you after 5 or on the weekends, you get tons of paid holidays, union protection, and some of the best health/dental coverage there is.

GoldenMonkeyRedux t1_j7v60ge wrote

I agree. For some reason, I can't submit our parking permit renewals via the website, so every summer I have to head down to Chinatown to renew in person. One of the employees was actually super nice to me, and even recommended that I park in their garage for free as they will validate it.

Now, not everyone is so chill...I've had plenty of not-so great interactions in that office.

WillFerrellsGutFold t1_j81wvrk wrote

It’s a thankless, hated job that I personally would never do no matter what the pay is. I couldn’t get up everyday and go to a job where everyone hated me, but then again nobody likes hearing a fire alarm go off multiple times while I’m testing them. So I guess my job is hated in a way also.