Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Cobey1 t1_j7ujuor wrote

I once had the same thing happen to me but the letter inside said “sike dickhead” 😂

scuba_steve94 OP t1_j7uk0ow wrote

wow, a joke AND an insult. Very Philly!

RoyceRedd t1_j7xb7nj wrote

And a ridiculous misspelling of psych.

−17

WillFerrellsGutFold t1_j81wd9m wrote

Fucking whoosh right over your head. You do know “sike” and “psych” are two very different words, right?

RoyceRedd t1_j81wvcj wrote

Sike is not a word. It’s a misspelling. Psych out or psych up are both spelled psych, and that’s the origin of “psych” as in I fooled you. Sike is just what dumb people assume the spelling is when they hear it because psych is far to complicated to spell for many. At some point due to the sheer number of stupid people sike will be accepted as an alternative spelling, but currently using it still makes you wrong and dumb. It’s like the written version of pronouncing nuclear as nucular.

−2

WillFerrellsGutFold t1_j81xmh7 wrote

I guess JAWN isn’t a word either right? What’s it like being better than everyone else up in that pedestal you clearly put yourself on?!

RoyceRedd t1_j81xz9n wrote

Jawn is a slang term and spelled correctly. I am not on a pedestal. “Sike” just happens to be a particular pet peeve of mine. I can look past almost any grammar or spelling errors, but that one gets me for some reason. I just don’t understand why people get it so very wrong.

WillFerrellsGutFold t1_j82gd12 wrote

It’s just a word that is used in slang that became what it did. You are making a bigger deal of it then what it needs to be. But who am I to judge you, if this is your pet peeve then so be it. I have mine also. Have a good one, I wish you all the best.

flamehead2k1 t1_j82i4c7 wrote

Language changes over time. Nothing to get worked up about

diatriose t1_j7ugsft wrote

SEPTA poet was one thing, I don't think I can get on board with PPA poet

scuba_steve94 OP t1_j7ugycw wrote

this was in Fairmount. how about the Penitentiary Poet?

craftyangie t1_j7yv6a9 wrote

Wait, are they actually roaming Fairmount now? Why don’t they start with all the vehicles parked on the sidewalk, on the way to school? (Seriously, there’s one restoration company that is doing that, in a narrow street, half a block from an elementary school, when various sidewalks are closed due to the PWD project)

scuba_steve94 OP t1_j7zcoos wrote

are they supposed to block the narrow street instead?

craftyangie t1_j80732x wrote

No, just park legally. A few spots were available a block away.

__bardo__ t1_j7ue86z wrote

I love Szymborska! She's an amazing poet. I didn't leave that there though lol

amor_fatty t1_j7ugvsv wrote

So many questions… was the note IN the parking violation?

scuba_steve94 OP t1_j7ugypq wrote

correct, it was the only thing in the envelope.

Orleanian t1_j7wl9ih wrote

Fuck; missed opportunity to leave one lone leaf in the envelope with the letter.

really fuck with your head sort of stuff

pillingz t1_j7x3ldn wrote

That’s actually legit. I used to carry an old parking ticket to put on my windshield when I parked so that when my meter ran out it’d look like I had already gotten one.

Firm_Airport2816 t1_j7ypbjc wrote

that doesn't work though... they will ticket on a ticket....they can see in the little machine if they gave you one in the past few hours or not

pillingz t1_j7z5dcf wrote

It used to work before they had those machines. Those machines that scan you license plates ruined everything.

Mike81890 t1_j7vdy92 wrote

The PPA

ticketed all the cars on the street last night

except for one car

left

with an empty windshield

With this example

Buerocracy demonstrates

that yes of course -

it likes its little jokes from time to time.

tuenthe463 t1_j7vj10b wrote

About 10 years ago on the sidewalk in Chinatown I found a whole roll of the heat treated paper the tickets are printed on and about 30 violation envelopes rubber banded together. My pal and I had quite a fun Friday evening.

Accomplished_Crab392 t1_j7uqyah wrote

As much as the organization of PPA can F off, I’ve had pleasant interactions with a lot of them, one even helped me when my car was stolen. Idk why you’d want to do that job, but I figure it’s not most peoples first, second or fifth choice.

kilometr t1_j7v1ad9 wrote

I think for a job with minimal qualifications it probably pays well. You get to walk around for exercise too and I bet the benefits are good

Capkirk0923 t1_j7whv0n wrote

City jobs are awesome if stability, benefits, and union protection are what you like. And, once you're in the system, you can always apply to other, better paying city jobs. It's been a ticket to the middle class for many people.

Firm_Airport2816 t1_j7ypgos wrote

Its actually a state job, the PPA is run by the state of PA, not the city...even better, I'd assume.

Capkirk0923 t1_j7yzjus wrote

Yeah, I think you're right. I have a government job, and if you're an artist like me, it's really the best. Your boss won't call you after 5 or on the weekends, you get tons of paid holidays, union protection, and some of the best health/dental coverage there is.

GoldenMonkeyRedux t1_j7v60ge wrote

I agree. For some reason, I can't submit our parking permit renewals via the website, so every summer I have to head down to Chinatown to renew in person. One of the employees was actually super nice to me, and even recommended that I park in their garage for free as they will validate it.

Now, not everyone is so chill...I've had plenty of not-so great interactions in that office.

WillFerrellsGutFold t1_j81wvrk wrote

It’s a thankless, hated job that I personally would never do no matter what the pay is. I couldn’t get up everyday and go to a job where everyone hated me, but then again nobody likes hearing a fire alarm go off multiple times while I’m testing them. So I guess my job is hated in a way also.

mikebailey t1_j7whgr0 wrote

The second P stands for Poetry

danrman t1_j7wup0q wrote

Ha, goteeem

donownsyou t1_j7yx5lw wrote

I’d love to have a stack of those envelopes lol

fudgebacker t1_j7vj3c1 wrote

Half way through he had a stroke, apparently.

−2