Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

baldude69 t1_iwqur8a wrote

Gotta control the rats somehow.

No but for real this is super wholesome. Love my cat, great super chill house companion. Best room mate ever despite having to clean his poop up all the time

taskermorrisrider222 OP t1_iwqwvnh wrote

Wait, for real tho. My townhouse is the only one on the block that didn't have mice. Coincidentally, it's the only one with a cat.

uncle_irohh t1_iwsg2no wrote

When we had a cat, we also had occasional mice in summer months. She didn't do shit. Literally slept on the job.

FuzzyScarf t1_ixk2hls wrote

Same. Some of my neighbors are complaining about a huge mouse problem. But I have not had that issue.

nsweeney11 t1_iwr0qno wrote

First year I lived in south Philly the mice came in around this time of year. Got a cat a month later, haven't seen one since.

taskermorrisrider222 OP t1_iwr0zj3 wrote

You'll never see a mouse again unless it's dead or partially dead. Cats will find a mouse (or bugs, in my experience) before you do.

A classic saying goes, "Dogs protect you from what you CAN see. Cats protect you from what you CAN'T see."

DisciplineShot2872 t1_iwr1inx wrote

My cats are still adapting to the clever city mice instead of the stupid desert mice they grew up with, but they're learning. At least I don't need them for scorpion detail anymore.

nsweeney11 t1_iwr2rxx wrote

Yep haven't even seen any evidence of mice in like 3 years

Lorenaelsalulz t1_iwspayb wrote

Mine are great fly (and other bugs) catchers too. I love their dedication to keeping our house bug free.

ElectricalMud2850 t1_iwufapa wrote

Sometimes I let a big fly in just for my own entertainment.

8_Foot_Vertical_Leap t1_iwvhnry wrote

It's also good for your cat! Getting to act on their hunting instincts regularly is very important for their mental well being!

menunu t1_iwr27l5 wrote

My cat Jean Luc is a stray from West Philly. He is the best mouse / cockroach murderer I have ever met. He is also my protector. For the first several weeks after our recent move, he posted up at various spots in the house and bed as my watch-cat. 🖤

megzellaneous420 t1_iwrkvvn wrote

Ugh I miss my little demon. There’s nothing wrong with her, I’m just at work still

passing-stranger t1_iwr2f35 wrote

Shout out to paws, where we adopted our loveable menaces a few years back. And appreciation for the outdoor kitty who sits outside having conversations with one of our cats through the back door. She volunteered for backyard pest management and has been doing a great job

pdperson t1_iwqwam0 wrote

Why does this somehow make perfect sense?

taskermorrisrider222 OP t1_iwqx3tv wrote

Cats and Philadelphians are one in the same. It's their attitude -- don't bother me and I won't bother you. Or if you're nice, I'll be nice; but if you're rude, I'll bite back.

RAGE_CAKES t1_iwt6cba wrote

Toxoplasmosis, a single-celled parasite that can be transmitted from cats to humans, encourages aggressive and belligerent behaviors in human beings. Maybe that's why Philly can be so pissed off at times

misterburners t1_iwqw70x wrote

Mine is a little beautiful demoness that ruins my life and I still simp for her 🐈‍⬛👠

supertizer t1_iwrfqho wrote

West Philly native here, I’ve always heard “you either have cats or mice”.

H00die5zn t1_iwqupqr wrote

Cat Gang ✊🏾

afdc92 t1_iwrdxsd wrote

I love dogs too but man, my cat really is the best. He’s cool living in a small apartment, doesn’t require walking and bathroom breaks in shitty weather, is ok with being left alone for hours at a time, and acts as a space heater on cold winter nights. He can be a little asshole at times but he’s MY little asshole.

pdperson t1_iwxwpd0 wrote

I have and love both but it’s not even the practical parts of caring for a dog v a cat, it’s the vibe. Cats just vibe right.

No_Influence_666 t1_iwrxs8k wrote

> “I don’t like cats,” she said, explaining they trigger allergies. “But I can see that they expect you to take care of them, and they just do what they want.

> “That speaks to something in the character of Philadelphia.”

> Besides, dogs love everybody, she added.

> Cats and Philadelphians, not so much.

So true.

brk1 t1_iwvbuus wrote

cats like to act all tough and independent on the outside, while in reality they posses are very deep inner love... just like people from Philadelphia

FuzzyScarf t1_ixk2t4h wrote

I took in a stray that looks like a real tough guy, with the battle scars to prove it. But he is the snuggliest cat I’ve ever had!

Hyperreal23 t1_iws6dmo wrote

Sometimes I walk from East Passyunk up to Center City and I shit you not there are days I count more cats looking out front windows than humans. Also just adopted a two year old of my own this last month!

IThinkImDumb t1_iwr51fk wrote

Awww I picked my cat off of 5th & Cambria. Now she lives in California with me :)

Alternative_Rough_14 t1_iwrvte7 wrote

i got a cat in July 2020. had a mouse problem that ended in October of 2020.

the pride and joy in a cat's face when they've successfully hunted their prey is priceless.

NotSureNotRobot t1_iwr80kr wrote

Everyone has toxoplasmosis. Explains a lot.

nalgene_wilder t1_iwr3cm6 wrote

What kind of freak is out there naming their pet some shit like Pfizer or Dr Fauci

birdlegs000 t1_iwrj2lc wrote

Or Covid for that matter. Are people naming their pets Whooping Cough and Influenza too?

That just reminded me of something. My dad was an ob/gyn and onetime he came home after delivering a baby and said the woman wanted to name her child Placenta. He begged her not to. Not sure if there is a middle aged Placenta out there somewhere, poor thing.

BulbasaurCPA t1_iwrj24u wrote

Hell yeah, I have two born on Philly streets and rescued by ACCT ❤️

willburrrrito t1_iws5m2v wrote

You’re welcome. My husband and I moved here and brought our 5 cats. South Carolina loss philly area gain. Thinking of getting more, it’s going to be cold and heat prices on the rise.

Suntag19 t1_iwr1kak wrote

If cats could talk they wouldn’t.

Cat people are the best people!

avo_cado t1_iwsthrt wrote

There's a cat on my lap right now

MacKelvey t1_iwriubo wrote

I’m doing my part

Gjardeen t1_iwr9f4x wrote

Thanks for this! I needed a reminder of why the city is awesome.

myredmakeupbag t1_iwuk7wz wrote

I adopted my boy Teddy from PAWS two years ago and he doesn't leave my side. I love him so much 😭

NewLoseIt t1_iwskey9 wrote

I’m actually a little surprised it’s not NYC, given that cat ownership tends to correlate with city density + northern climates.

But Philly being high on the list isn’t surprising at all!

AbsentEmpire t1_iwstya6 wrote

I do like watching a chonky cat, something about them that's just amusing to me.

4moves t1_iwupxcv wrote

Well there's so many cats out here it's hard not to bring one home.

urachickenhead t1_iwrs0u6 wrote

We WIN!!!! We’re the best!!! So what if we’re last on the list of best places to drive in the US.

owenhinton98 t1_iwtrbq3 wrote

Ok so this means we’re cat lady right?

I hope this means we’re cat lady

newtophilly852 t1_iwvv1c3 wrote

This needs to be woven into marketing campaigns or otherwise highlighted prominently. This is a great thing to be known for nationally!

pitifulwench t1_iwugpgt wrote

Kind of ridiculous how a city in the goddamn desert (Phoenix) almost has the highest dog ownership percentage on that list

brk1 t1_iwvaxd0 wrote

#meowwow

[deleted] t1_iwrnosi wrote

And by cat you mean stolen catalytic converters, right?

−7