Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

badluckbarron t1_ix9bi15 wrote

This place is going to be an unmitigated disaster. Unleashed, high density dogs and intoxicated owners…people already barely know how to act at the public dog parks in the city

Thunderhank t1_ixa8wn8 wrote

Shitty owners and untrained dogs will lead to people and dogs getting into altercations. This is an idiotic idea and they will certainly run into problems.

CathedralEngine t1_ix8pllz wrote

Do the dogs have to be 21 in human years or dog years to drink?

willburrrrito t1_ix9ao8x wrote

I just got a license for my dog. Made a joke to the lady at the courthouse that my dog can now drive. She did not find it funny…

redjonley t1_ix8rp14 wrote

Actually humans have to be 21 in dog years. No idea how this idea passed legal.

DoubleDoobie t1_ix94883 wrote

Is this a new concept or tried and true somewhere else? Just wondering, because if the dogs at this bar are anything like my friends dogs you’re going to have everything from sweet angels to literal nightmares occupying the same space, and I can see this going poorly.

nsweeney11 t1_ix954np wrote

Speaking as someone who owned a reactive dog- you don't take them to places like this. It's very stressful for "literal nightmares." Hopefully you notice that your friends with less than well behaved dogs don't take them to dog parks or areas where humans and dogs mix like this.

DoubleDoobie t1_ix95dc3 wrote

Oh I agree 100%, but in reality I rarely see that. It's usually the standard "I swear he/she never does that" when something inevitably happens. I wonder if they'll make people sign liability waivers?

nsweeney11 t1_ix95hxq wrote

I think your friends are just bad dog owners. There's an extensive community in Reddit for reactive and fearful and even mean dogs.

DoubleDoobie t1_ix95pfq wrote

It's not just my friends. IMO, most dog owners are "bad" or even average dog owners at best. Covid-induced dog ownership hasn't helped.

−6

nsweeney11 t1_ix95tp1 wrote

You specifically mentioned your friends. You don't know most dog owners. I think maybe you're generalizing based on your friends

DoubleDoobie t1_ix95yra wrote

I also walk around the streets of Philly, but okay

nsweeney11 t1_ix960ya wrote

Wow what a coincidence, so do I.

−2

crispydukes t1_ix9qoj4 wrote

And most are bad dog owners. Honestly. I am far from a "good" dog owner, but most everyone else is worse.

DunieMunny t1_ixanbm8 wrote

I have seen variations of this in other cities where it has worked well. Lucky Dog in Brooklyn is probably the closest, though this appears to be quite a bit larger. Dog PPL in Santa Monica is all-outdoor, but very much has the boozy bar scene vibe when you're there. I have also heard of similar places to this in Austin and Denver, but have not been there firsthand.

This model will get more and more popular as the 20-30 crowd (me included) are 'raising' dogs instead of children, and also not doing pretty much anything without a bar involved. It will all come down to how well they police the dogs and owners. Dogs add another variable, but it's one that can be controlled for and I've never actually experienced an issue in the countless hours I've spent across the two spots above.

theblondegiraffe t1_ix9epmi wrote

I have a very well-behaved, well-trained, and properly socialized dog and I probably wouldn’t bring her here for the same reason I’m wary about most dog parks. I know her behavior and can control her but I’m not sure about other dogs and their owners. Even when I take her to a dog park that I trust I watch her like a hawk because you just don’t know the other dogs.

pup12345 t1_ix9ojfg wrote

Tried and true in the south and places with more year round temperate climates. Check out Mutts Canine Cantina as a great example. Vaccinations/neutering is required and every dog has a profile, membership, and must check in at arrival.

The bottom line is, if your dog does not enjoy playing with other dogs, you simply do not bring them here.

tdpdcpa t1_ixb8ve5 wrote

My brother lives in Chattanooga where they have a bar with a similar concept. They’re actually very good at enforcing a “three strikes” policy for the dogs for the reason you mentioned.

RoverTheMonster t1_ixd613t wrote

Ya, this is a thing I’ve experienced in Seattle. I went to two that were basically dog parks with a food truck that sells beer and cocktails. Think parks on tap with dogs everywhere. It was alright, more of a convenience for my friends who had dogs with them than anything

Proper-Code7794 t1_ix8se4v wrote

Neighbors are excited to see all your bags of dog shit!

Genus-Switch5998 t1_ix9qdis wrote

Chaos. Humans. Dogs. Alcohol. Chaos. I love my dogs. I love dogs in general. They make human life unquestionably better. Is this really a good idea? Is this good for the dogs?

thinlegend t1_ix9c7m0 wrote

Smells like a future pawsuit... but for real I can only see this ending badly. I love dogs just as much as anyone else but I've been attacked by them twice both without any instigation.

JeffHall28 t1_ix975es wrote

Was involved in the design & construction of a couple beer garden/dog parks in MD a few years back. You couldn't pay me to go to one of these places. I like dogs but I don't like every dog or most of the people who need to go to the bar with them.

Mike81890 t1_ixal9pi wrote

Aww man, remember North Star Bar

Bestueverhad10 t1_ixa2uvn wrote

Wow inexperienced dog owners and entrepreneurs.., what could go wrong? I had a dog when i lived in the south where we had wide open spaces, fields and places to hike. Dogs up here seem so pent up and badly behaved from tiny apartment living and minimal exercising. I no longer have a dog or desire to own one in this city, people are not responsible enough with their animals or respect other people and their property. I have spent minimal time dog sitting friends pooches and no longer do it after I saw how other dogs behaved. North Star was so bad ass in its day, sad to see it’s being yuppy-fied or should I say puppy-fied like this

MECHASCHMECK t1_ixar07f wrote

For everyone questioning the model, there’s one of these in Atlanta I’ve been to and it’s been going strong for a few years now! It was surprisingly well behaved vs what I expected going in.

CauliflowerFront3706 t1_ixabwmh wrote

I love bringing my dog to bars, while on their leash and sitting or standing right next to me. But having multiple dogs running around unleashed, while owners are looking away drinking, is just a disaster. This couple clearly did not think this through.

Have they had dogs before the doodle they probably bought from a puppy mill during peak covid?

crispydukes t1_ix9q4y7 wrote

Based on the post last week, my question - how is this legal? Did they get public health approval? Or will that be a little "oops" when they don't get their license.

dotcom-jillionaire t1_ix9s3vg wrote

i guess ask the 4 cat cafes in philly how they got their approvals?

a-german-muffin t1_ixa390f wrote

Le Cat Cafe's use permit doesn't allow them to sell food/drink, for what that's worth. It's basically written as a cat boarding house. Big difference.

a-german-muffin t1_ixa2j0r wrote

Both this piece and the Inky's last week mentioned that they're working with the city for health and safety clearances... so it might not be greenlit just yet, but there's some provision that's coming.

crispydukes t1_ixchuj7 wrote

I see that now. Previous articles didn't mention that, but I now see the line that they are "working with the health department..."

pup12345 t1_ixa0xyf wrote

Because the dog park portion is outside?

−5

porkchameleon t1_ix9r4qw wrote

Still trying to make this happen? This gun b gud...

Zujaz t1_ixbd06t wrote

I was at the american sardine bar when a dog latched onto a child's ear and tore part of it off. This is dumb.

srt8it t1_ix9r9eh wrote

Gotta hand it to the younger generations. How'd you turn kids and house being the norm to beer and dogs? remarkable.

−11