Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

uptown_gargoyle t1_iw2genz wrote

Is this related to the Florida(?) governor that was spitefully sending immigrants to blue cities?

If so, I can only imagine how dehumanizing it must feel for these people.

69_420_bonerjamz t1_iw2hu52 wrote

Philadelphia is a Sanctuary City.

We volunteered for this. This isn’t about red or blue. This is about sticking our hand in the air and saying “you’re safe here!”

HuffleBird0919 t1_iw2i3f3 wrote

This bus is apparently coming from Texas with absolutely zero coordination or official communication. We only know it's coming because of a tip-off from "a community partner organization," probably some kind of volunteer. The article says there are infants on this bus.

Absolutely disgusting that conservatives are willing to use actual human lives to play political football. But it's our turn to step up and show these people the compassion Texas lacks. We welcome them with open arms!

loyaboya t1_iw2iin2 wrote

Conservatives aren’t capable of empathy. Remember it’s only pro life unless those lives are non white, poor, female, disabled, etc

uptown_gargoyle t1_iw2npa4 wrote

>Conservatives aren’t capable of empathy.

I think the vast majority of people are capable of empathy, but there are a lot of ways of getting people to suppress that emotion; namely by constantly drilling into people's heads that they're under attack by some foreign or outside threat. The Republican apparatus does this effectively. But I don't think conservatives are like, inherently or congenitally incapable of empathy.

[deleted] OP t1_iw2hyip wrote

We need to share the burden experienced by border states. Realistically since we all support open borders and asylum seekers, each state should give resources either to Texas or housing. I support them coming to Philadelphia. Idk why anybody would be opposed to asylum seekers coming to America.

SpawnOfGoats t1_iw2jo3o wrote

"open borders" gtfo with that nonsense. You give yourself away

SpawnOfGoats t1_iw2iq3e wrote

Philly is a border city. Immigrants come here yearly by the thousands. We are already handling that situation. Texas receives billions from the feds guess they should give that money back?

MaoZedongs t1_iw2j55f wrote

These people don’t get it. States like Texas, Arizona, and Florida are at breaking points when it comes to this. They can only help so many people. Sending them somewhere else is the only logical solution.

−7

VeryStab1eGenius t1_iw2lag3 wrote

I lived in Texas. We really weren’t at a breaking point. Maybe a couple of towns but the state was fine. I have no idea what you’re talking about and I suspect you don’t either.

MaoZedongs t1_iw2lnul wrote

Tell us more about your time in Austin!

I grew up in an agricultural town in Florida. Let me tell you about poverty and lack of opportunities for migrants.

−3

VeryStab1eGenius t1_iw2mpyg wrote

Austin was okay but it was in the middle of Texas so we moved. What would you like to know about it specifically.

Psychological-Ad8175 t1_iw2lsm3 wrote

These states are receiving our federal tax dollars that we create. There is no reason that states with that large of open land available do not have the room and with the financial incentives that we provide by giving them our tax revenue they should build housing.

Alternatively they could just tax themselves to pay for their services instead of us giving them tax dollars.

Kyrthis t1_iw2gwjr wrote

Those migrants were taken from Texas to Florida and then sent to Martha’s Vineyard. Just DeSuckass doing Assott a favor. This is all fundamentally Texas’ game.

igglesfangirl t1_iw2h91k wrote

This is Abbott in Texas. DeSantis is just a copycat nutjob who used Florida money to transport immigrants from Texas to Massachusetts. If the people on the buses qualify for TPS, there are certainly better opportunities for them outside of Texas.

[deleted] OP t1_iw2gwnd wrote

[removed]

−37

SpawnOfGoats t1_iw2h7x0 wrote

Do you even know what a sanctuary city is? Your comment suggests either you don't or are purposely mis-stating it for partisan reasons

[deleted] OP t1_iw2hg8p wrote

[removed]

−18

LouDog187 t1_iw2hrvk wrote

Hey. Be more of a baby back bitch.

Repulsive-Tap5543 t1_iw2huwc wrote

???

LouDog187 t1_iw2i6nj wrote

If u wanna be outraged, be outraged at Greg Abbott. Not the people on the bus or the people willing to help them. It's not going to effect you. So be more of a bitch, complaining about something else. Or stfu!

Repulsive-Tap5543 t1_iw2jkqq wrote

Abbott is just sending them where they're wanted.

Right?

LouDog187 t1_iw76zlh wrote

No. He's sending them where he wants them to go. You donut.

SpawnOfGoats t1_iw2ho33 wrote

As long as they don't commit crimes. And the Feds can still round them up they just won't receive any help from the city. So not really a big deal huh

Repulsive-Tap5543 t1_iw2htg8 wrote

But they won't, so....

SpawnOfGoats t1_iw2ie1h wrote

So Texas should deal with its own problems and not pull political stunts for brownie points with racists? Philly is already an immigrant destination. We already handle immigrants of all statuses. This isn't going to hurt Philly just make slobs fell like they are owning the libs.

Repulsive-Tap5543 t1_iw2izpj wrote

What's race got to do with it?

−1

SpawnOfGoats t1_iw2jeef wrote

They are only sending up the brown illegals. There are literally thousand of illegal Irish and Polish working all over Florida and Texas but they don't get sent up in busses do they.

Repulsive-Tap5543 t1_iw2jzq7 wrote

I'm brown, I think they should send them all.

SpawnOfGoats t1_iw2k9ai wrote

Better send some emails to Abbott and DeSantis then and not just complain in a Philly subreddit

69_420_bonerjamz t1_iw2k0bm wrote

Or does the media just not cover that?

SpawnOfGoats t1_iw2khur wrote

How you gonna attract eyeballs and clicks without being outrageous? Some media do cover it just not popular ones. Mar a Lago is famous for employing Irish workers who stay after their visa expires.

uptown_gargoyle t1_iw2hhyx wrote

I don't expect the addition of 52 people to a city of a million and a half will have any impact on my life whatsoever.

VeryStab1eGenius t1_iw2hyaj wrote

You’re so butthurt that PA will flip blue that you’re lashing out with this post. No one is upset. Finish your tantrum and then turn on Fox News. Your life, miserable as it is, will go on.