Submitted by SoCalVanGough t3_z857ta in pittsburgh

In August of this year I sadly lost my Mom to a stroke. The treatment my Dad and I received at the hospital during this time was so appalling that I sent a letter to Allegheny General Hospital about what we experienced due to hospital covid policies.

I'm sharing the same letter in the hopes that policies can change and be adapted. So that no one has to suffer the way my Dad and I did.

​

This letter is to bring attention to the extreme dissatisfaction and immense mental trauma that my family and I were forced to endure in your hospital from Tuesday August 2nd through Thursday August 4th.

My mother was life-flighted from Jefferson Hospital to Allegheny General Hospital on the morning of Saturday July 30th after suffering a massive stroke.

After recovering enough from a procedure that immediately saved her life. She was moved to the 7th floor of the hospital on Sunday July 31st. As they began to conduct tests and examinations several issues were found, including that she had tested positive for Asymptomatic Covid. At this point in the process my father and sister were able to visit and stay in the room with my Mother. Provided they donned layers of PPE. They returned on Monday morning, August 1st. Still allowed to visit my Mother following the PPE guidelines they were being instructed on. As the day went on my Mother’s situation was rapidly beginning to decline. As further procedures were completed it was discovered that a large portion of her intestines were dead and would need to be removed immediately. Requiring my Mother to be taken into surgery that night. Dramatically diminishing her chances of surviving her condition. With the shock and severity of this news I booked a flight out of Los Angeles late Monday night. Arriving in Pittsburgh early in the morning of Tuesday August 2nd.

After a brief and somber homecoming, my father and I headed out to the hospital. An hours drive from their home. When we arrived at the hospital Tuesday morning, we were informed my Mother was in the Surgical ICU on the third floor. We arrived at the ICU waiting room and asked to see Georgianna. It was at this point everything took an ever-darker turn.

After waiting for a few moments, a man came out to speak to us. Who if I remember correctly was the nursing manager/coordinator for the ICU. After receiving no major updates on my mother since her surgery, the very first thing he began to tell my Father was that he had to leave the hospital. He then proceeded to tell my Father that because my Mother tested positive for asymptomatic Covid he was not allowed in the hospital. Along with that he and anyone else who lived with or was exposed to my Mother should be quarantined for fourteen days and was also not allowed in the hospital. We asked if he could take a test along with gowning up, and a mask and shield as he has been doing the previous days. He would not hear of it. Continuing to lecture policy at my Father. Offering no updates on my Mother. All the while telling him he has to leave.

This, of course, was deeply upsetting as there had been no issues the two previous days. It was extra upsetting because my Mother had her surgery the night before and we still had not been updated. So, it was expected that my Father and I would be able to speak to a doctor or nurse about how the surgery had gone and what the next steps would be.

After continuing to argue and plead, only I was allowed to go in and be at the hospital. I explained to him that I had just arrived from Los Angeles, where I live, and had not been exposed to anyone in the household. This was a lie. I was forced to lie and say I had not gone to my parents' home that morning so that at least one of us could be in the hospital getting updates and making end of life decisions about the kind of care my Mom would be receiving.

Instead of being able to be supportive to my Dad as his wife of 46 years, my Mom, lay in the hospital dying. I was forced to fight with Brett so that my Father would not immediately get kicked out of the hospital and I could enter to get updates. After this engagement I was finally allowed back to see my Mother for the first time and be updated on her condition.

Over the next few hours, the doctors and nurses were helpful in updating me with my Mother’s condition. That is until about 4pm, when a nurse came into the ICU waiting area. She approached a random man and rudely began telling him he needed to leave. And that he was already warned once today. The man had no idea what she was speaking of. She then said to the man, “Aren’t you here for Georgianna.” Once the man corrected her that he was not, she left the waiting room. Moments later she then came over to my father and I, and in the most condescending and exceptionally rude tone told my dad “You’re not supposed to be here. You need to leave or I’m calling security.” She didn’t introduce herself, didn’t offer any updates on my Mother's condition, and was threatening to call security and or the police on my father. As I am continuing to argue with her about options for my Father to visit. I’m also asking what happens if my Mom begins to pass and my Dad is at home, an hour away, not allowed in the hospital? Expressing that they are high school sweethearts that have been together for 46 years. Once more I was met with a cold bitter attitude as she ignored any of my concerns and called another unit supervisor as we still refused to leave. A few minutes later an older gentleman came out and joined her. This man only repeated everything we were already being told. Saying that “policy is policy” and that he had lost his mother and wasn't able to see her due to Covid issues. I said call someone else because I wasn’t happy with how we were being treated. Their response was to once again threaten us with removal by security, and or police if my father didn’t leave. At this point my distraught father is crying in the waiting room chair. As if the torment of knowing that the love of his life may soon be passing on isn’t enough. Having been treated with such lack of compassion and ignorant cruelty was adding to his emotional suffering. At this point we were forced to leave to ensure that I would have no issues returning to the hospital the next day. Because if I wasn’t allowed back then no one would be there with my Mom.

That Tuesday evening everyone who had exposure to my mother took a home Covid test. Every single one came back negative. This whole situation was more than we should ever have had to deal with. Now a new wave of fear came over me. The tragedy of my Mother’s inevitable passing had a new underlying obstacle, “what if my parents could not be together for my Mom’s last moments?” An obstacle that should not be there in such a heavy time of crisis. But it was because of the heinously callous ways we were being treated.

After these events I reached out to a personal acquaintance that works within the administration level of AGH. They immediately informed me that what was happening shouldn’t be happening. They also recommended that I reach out to the Patient Experience Department with what we were dealing with.

On Wednesday morning, August 3rd, I called the Patient Experience Department. The woman I spoke to was kind and polite. When I informed her of our situation and how awfully we were treated she said that she would look into things, forward this along, and she would be in touch with me.

The next day I made the decision to bring my Father to the hospital with me. Hiding him in the main lobby. This way he could be nearby in case our worst fears about my Mother unexpectedly came true.

As my Mother's condition continued to grow worse I was still never presented with any types of options for getting my parents together. I met with two wonderful end of life doctors to discuss what options could be available to my Mother. I also informed them of our situation. Expressing how upset and dissatisfied we have been. They also said they would also see what could be done.

Sadly, that afternoon we learned that we were out of options for my Mom. We made the decision to remove her from assisted breathing and allow nature to take its course. Which would be done the next day. After this I attempted to call the woman at the Patient Experience Department back to update her on things. I left several voicemails and not a single one was returned. No one I spoke to at any point offered anything solid about getting my Father to be with my Mother as she passed. Which at this point had all my greatest fears coming true. Where once again I was forced to leave my mother, not knowing if she and my Father could be together one more time.

Thursday morning, August 4th, we all Covid tested again. And again, every single one came back negative. I arrived at the hospital. Once more, hiding my Father in the main lobby because I was still being told he wasn’t allowed to be there or see my Mother. I had a consultation scheduled at noon about how the end-of-life process was going to happen with my Mom. As I waited, I again reached out to the Patient Experience Department. Where I once more left another voicemail. She never got back to me throughout the entire process.

At noon I had my consultation which consisted of the end-of-life doctors. Along with the ICU Coordinator and the rude nurse from Tuesday. After going through the processes and what to expect the coordinator then brought up the “concern” I had about my Father being with my Mother as she passed away. I informed them all about the multiple negative Covid tests, and how he not being there with her was not an option. Their arguments for still not letting my Father into the hospital were only about policy. I once again said to them that he would test, gown, mask, or whatever else was needed to make this happen. No matter what I said they fought with more talk of “policy.” The nurse from Tuesday seemed to delight in my misery and pleas to let me Father in. At one point very condescendingly handing me a paper saying, “I printed the policy for you to read.” I refused the paper and responded, “I don’t care what your policy says because your policy is wrong!” The coordinator then said it would be discussed with the “higher ups” and that I had made things difficult by reaching out to the Patient Experience Department. He then looked directly at me and said, “You have to prepare yourself for things to not going your way.” I again sternly reiterated that anything less than the two of them being together was unacceptable.

The consultation ended with no definitive answer to if my Father was going to be allowed next to his wife of 46 years as she passed away. This is not something I would not stand for. As if preparing for the death of my Mom in the coming moments wasn’t enough. I also had to mentally prepare myself to do whatever would be necessary so that my Dad would be with my Mom. I did not care if security or police would have been involved. My Mom and Dad were having their final moments together.

Eventually I received a phone call from the coordinator. He informed me it was agreed to let my Father see my Mother. However, the lengths we had to go to make this happen were outrageous.

He instructed me to wait outside the hospital, near a parking garage with my Dad. He then met us outside to hand us face masks and face shields. Instructing us that myself, and my Father, with clear mobility issues, would have to walk through the parking garage to enter the hospital. He then lead us to a stairwell. Where my 66-year-old handicapped Father was forced to walk up six flights of stairs! Something he is really not capable of but was doing anyway because it was the only way for him to be with the love of his life in their final moments together. Essentially being “snuck” into the hospital.

After days of nauseating uncertainty my Dad finally had all that he had been asking for. To be by his wife's side as she left this Earth. My Dad held her hand, and I the other.

It wasn’t long after removing her breathing tube that my Mom had passed.

After having said our goodbyes, my devastated, grieving, handicapped Father was then again forced to walk back down the same flights of stairs to exit the hospital. My Dad’s only words being, “I couldn’t even give her one last kiss because of the PPE.” The phrase “insult to injury” does not even begin to express how disheartening and traumatic the entire situation was to us thanks to the treatment we received.

While I should have been able to begin the grieving process of the most tragic event that my family has ever gone through. To be a support system for my Father who was losing his wife of 46 years, his one true love. I was instead, forced to go on the defensive and made to strategize a way for my parents to be together, for my Dad to be able to hold my Mom’s hand as she took her last breaths. If I followed the hospital's policy, I would not have been able to be with my own family during this time. Had I not made the choices I made my Mom would have passed away alone. Which was her greatest fear. And I wasn’t going to let that happen.

I have over ten years of experience working within the medical field in various roles as a pharmacy technician. Four of those were with UPMC at the Hillman Cancer Center. I’m also licensed in the state of California where I live. To say that I am familiar with hospital policies and regulations is an understatement. As a patient, a medical professional, and as a son I am truly appalled and disgusted by the way we were treated as these series of events unfolded over the course of these days. The blatantly rude and disrespectful behavior from the staff of the hospital was absolutely uncalled for. With their only defense of their actions being “it’s hospital policy.” This so called “policy” needs to change. Place yourselves in my family’s position and ask the question “Would a hospital policy stop me from saying goodbye to my mother, father, child, or any loved one as they come to the end of their life?” There are ways to handle these situations in which hostile hospital administrators should NEVER be causing more stress, anxiety, anger, and other difficulties to families who are in the process of losing a loved one.

May none of you ever be treated with such a disregard of compassion as my father and I were.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ktxhopem3276 t1_iyae7xh wrote

The officials at the hospitals that make these policies are put in the awful position to decide if your need to say goodbye was more important than potentially spreading the virus to vulnerable immune compromised people also in the hospital for treatment. Your post sounds overly judgmental of the staff enforcing the rules that they have no control over. You come across as entitled and the type of person that doesn’t think the rules apply to everyone and you are special because you were a pharmacy tech. I hope this attitude is only due to your grief of losing a loved one. The policies around Covid and family visitors in the hospital can be debated but the attitude of your letter just isn’t helping your case.

SnooOwls6015 t1_iyc7egm wrote

I work as a bedside nurse in a different hospital and I agree that the policy is ridiculous. They let people visit covid patients assuming they don proper PPE.

If this had happened in the summer of 2020 when things were less understood, I could have given some leeway for people "just doing their job" but in 2022 we've learned enough to protect people while still allowing for compassion.

ktxhopem3276 t1_iycm3qe wrote

They allow visitors if they pass a Covid screening. He failed that screening due to prolonged contact with Covid positive person.

SnooOwls6015 t1_iycqowl wrote

They barely screen patients, I'm not sure why they'd screen visitors.

ktxhopem3276 t1_iyd4kym wrote

That sounds risky. I think the screening is just a few questions like have you had a fever or had contact with anyone sick. It seems prudent for a level 1 trauma hospital with 500 beds to be extra careful. Even my dentist is still taking forehead temperatures before doing an exam.

SnooOwls6015 t1_iyezs0f wrote

It for sure is risky. But most patients don't even get tested unless they have respiratory symptoms or if they're being discharged to a facility that requires testing. Administration cares about the bottom line, not patient/employee safety.

I can't even count the number of times I've cared for a patient for days to weeks only to have them test positive when the time came to send them to rehab.

Smaller practices (like a dentist) tend to be more vigilant in testing because the people they're exposing are mainly the staff and it hurts the bottom line if they get sick. In hospitals it hurts the bottom line to know people have covid because then you have to isolate them. If you don't know you can put them in a room with someone else.

I work on a unit that does chemo and we regularly have covid positive patients on our unit, no matter how much we scream about it being unsafe.

Egraypgh t1_iyb8r5v wrote

These policies are to protect the hospitals from lawsuits. They were more worried in the end about this family suing for emotional damage and making a stink that’s why they snuck this guy in. These policies don’t have much to do with healthcare more to do with the legal system as far as I’m aware we still have not decided in this country whether you can sue for catching Covid. A true quarantine would’ve tested people before they ever let them in the door to begin with. Not oh have you been exposed to someone after you’ve been there for days then we must single you out. PS this is a hospital on the northside that treats homeless people there is still a huge amount of Hep C spreading around the homeless community I would be more worried about catching that then c19 at this hospital.

−7

ktxhopem3276 t1_iybclcx wrote

Hep c isn’t an airborn virus like Covid and not likely to spread in a hospital. The legal risk for the hospital is a result of the health risk. If there was no health risk there really isn’t much room for a negligence lawsuit. The hospital would be at legal risk if they did something negligent like allowing someone at high risk of having Covid riding elevators and walking by other patients rooms full of vulnerable patients many old or immunocompromised. I don’t think there is much chance of a lawsuit for emotion damage either because the hospital was taking reasonable precautions. It is more likely they caved to just get op to stop consuming their time with complaining

AthensAtNight t1_iyap46e wrote

You and this response are disgusting. I hope you’re not in healthcare.

−22

ktxhopem3276 t1_iyaqhmt wrote

People in healthcare have to follow the rules that are made by experts who weigh the risks and benefits of each policy to maximize the number of lives saved. It does seem disgusting but it is the real world. I’m disgusted that the op lied about being exposed to Covid to get into the hospital

ThatKaylesGuy t1_iyb4l2y wrote

I hope you monitor very small kids or work with puppies, and that's it.

pedantic_comments t1_iyag9yd wrote

Pharmacy tech writes poorly written screed about how their preferences are more important than hospital quarantine procedures.

You aren’t special. Gam-Gam and Peepaw got special treatment because you were an asshole and you are still complaining that you didn’t get it right away and had to walk.

ktxhopem3276 t1_iyb39l3 wrote

They called the complaint hotline and I suspect got an exception to take the stairs instead of share an elevator with other vulnerable hospital patients and are still taking their grief out on the staff months later. I hope it’s just grief and not that this person is so entitled in everyday life

412Junglist t1_iydcrgm wrote

Don’t forget the part where they lied about their Covid status.

Plenty_Attitude9933 t1_iyb8ok0 wrote

My uncle had a stroke in 2021 and we could only go to the room one at a time to see him. It wasn’t even that intense of an ICU and it was still limited. I would imagine a surgical ICU would be full of people with weakened immune systems who could be easily sickened. I tested negative for 4 days in August while experiencing mild symptoms before I finally tested positive. I’m sorry, but him negative doesn’t really mean much at that point when it’s a known exposure. I’m sorry for your loss and the added stress of additional illness in your family. But, the hospital made the right call. And he did get to say goodbye. A lot of other families didn’t get that chance in 2020 or 2021.

beanshaken t1_iyavft5 wrote

I’m so sorry this happened to you, and I’m sorry you aren’t finding much compassion here. It blows my mind they wouldn’t let your father see his wife if he was testing negative.. like doctors and nurses have to work still even if they are exposed right? This is just a tragic situation. I would recommend the docuseries ‘Surviving Death’ on Netflix for you and especially your Dad, it gave me a different perspective on death, and even if your father wasn’t physically near his wife in her last days I believe her spirit was and is near. I hope you and your family find peace.

xnick58 t1_iy9w3xn wrote

I hope you dont find yourself in a similar situation in the future but if you do most facilities allow patients and families to essentially call a "code" on a situation they are unhappy with. Its usually "condition help" or "condition stop" and you can start this process by calling the operator. Im sorry this happened to you. Most policies are in place soley to protect the hospitals from legal action and in most cases this supercedes emotionally charged situations like yours which is a shame.

EveryoneisOP3 t1_iyak01s wrote

Condition help is for shit like your doctor being drunk, not disliking a hospital policy.

Like they can call a condition help, but the person on the other end is just gonna go "Wow I'm so sorry for you in this time but this is our policy."

B0bb3r7 t1_iyav4lq wrote

I'm surprised that 2020 COVID policies are still in effect and antagonizing families. I naively thought that these stories ended with 2021. I would have expected that healthcare providers would have found a way to be more compassionate three years into the virus.

I'm also surprised by the hostility in some of these comments. Losing a parent or a spouse is incredibly difficult. Patients and their families are experiencing some of their worst moments and are vulnerable. OP's feelings and reactions are normal. He's grieving. There's no need to kick him while he's down.

Healthcare organizations know that they're in the business of illness and grief. Professionalism and compassion is crucial and expected. Hiding behind "it's policy" is not compassionate. Printing the policy and demanding that the family read it is inflammatory and unprofessional.

Finally, it's upsetting that healthcare institutions continue to disrespect their providers. How can a healthcare provider be compassionate if their institution does not support them?

ktxhopem3276 t1_iyb0afb wrote

The issue is the dad had direct and prolonged exposure to someone who tested Covid positive. Otherwise he would have been allowed to visit. We know this because the op actually lied and was allowed in. Maybe that is why op isn’t getting any compassion. It’s a hospital full of extremely sensitive people and they are going to prioritize saving those people’s lives. Op could have killed an immunocompromised patient with their lies and sense of entitlement. Im in favor of compassion for someone grieving but the staff has to follow the rules or they get fired.

B0bb3r7 t1_iybhc8v wrote

Incorrect, the issue is that the hospital policy fails to acknowledge normal human behavior and was ineptly enforced.

Hospitals are profoundly disempowering. To be denied access to a loved one is dehumanizing. Of course the loved ones were going to advocate for themselves and do whatever they could to share her last moments. It is wholly unsurprising that someone would lie just to see their mother before she passes.

People cannot be expected to suppress the human experience. Hospitals already know this. They should be prepared to accommodate this compassionately rather than pay it lip service with an unresponsive Patient Experience department. It is not entitlement. To pontificate otherwise is dystopian.

−1

ktxhopem3276 t1_iybj7z6 wrote

The hospital prioritize life saving over compassion. Sometimes they can’t do both. Sometimes the staff is overworked and doing their best not to make a mistake that kills someone and can’t find any emotional strength to deal with someone who wants to break rules that might get someone killed. I’m not saying it doesn’t suck but to post a diatribe on Reddit months later is either entitlement or grieving in need of professional therapy.

umbluemusic t1_iybp6s7 wrote

I’m not the OP, but it took me months to process how poorly my dads last day at UPMC Shadyside went. I appreciate how hard the job is and how grueling the work is, but they didn’t have a room to put us to deliver the news that my dad had coded during the procedure they were doing. When they called us up I was anticipating bad news (his decline was sharp and fast - the night before we had been watching NBA playoffs in his ICU room and talking). They ended up sticking us in a staff conference room, and then while we sat and waited when the doctor went to come in all the doors were locked so we had to get up and let him in. And he just looks at us and says “Mark’s heart stopped and we are doing what we can but it is likely the end” and we were just stunned. No boxes of kleenex to even blow our noses or wipe our faces. So honestly I understand the need to share this story. Maybe it helps someone else at least realize what can happen when they go to any hospital with a sick loved one - so it isn’t so jarring and shocking. I couldn’t talk about that last day calmly until 3-4 months later. That was when I contacted UPMC to share all of my concerns (there were many others, such as how he went all night in the ICU and no one noticed he was unresponsive and hypoxic. You’d think checks would have happened regularly enough that someone would have realized it.

And saying someone needs professional therapy as though it’s a bad thing is crappy as well. I needed therapy after losing my dad and many people use therapy to help them manage. It doesn’t mean they can’t ever talk about hard things or share them.

ktxhopem3276 t1_iybqjwz wrote

Getting professional therapy is good thing! People should complain if they think a medical mistake was made or if they think there are things that can be changed and made better in the future. But I also think op is acting entitled and above the rules and overly harsh on the staff that we’re just trying to keep the other people in the hospital safe.

pedantic_comments t1_iydebd9 wrote

You are free to die at home if you can’t understand or follow quarantine in a hospital, fam.

CurrencyNo7999 t1_iycsgi0 wrote

I'll preface this by saying I was mostly happy with AGH treatment, but they need a serious haul of their hospice team. Their hospice team comes in, during my dad's would be last days, casually spouting off about his death, right in front of him. He bursts into tears and tells me the nurses are scaring him. My dad was not a man to cry. I had seen that once in my lifetime before. I'm not sure in what world they thought that behavior was ok. Only one of them once asked if I would like to go into the hallway/lounge area, which was an obvious YES. They have an entire, empty, lounge full of couches and tables that work excellent for these discussions. I'm not sure like I said that I can ever understand their hospice team actions. However, the actual nurses are wonderful so I am happy my dad could have been there.

ktxhopem3276 t1_iyd5oe8 wrote

To work in a place like a hospice you are surrounded by death daily. You become immune to it and normalize it and even joke about it as a coping mechanism. I hope it was an accident and they apologized at least

umbluemusic t1_iybo9ab wrote

I’m sorry to hear this. I had a similarly awful experience at UPMC when my father died in 2017 from leukemia treatment. The only thing I’ve been thankful with in regards to when we lost him is that we didn’t have to go through it in a pandemic. It is traumatic enough especially when you have a poor experience at the hospital entrusted with your loved one.

I’m glad you’ve shared and that you and your father did ultimately get to be with her. I still avoid driving by Hillman and UPMC Shadyside because I feel my anxiety rise remembering his last day there.

ktxhopem3276 t1_iyd5g6f wrote

Sounds like people have had bad experiences at both Allegheny and UPMC so maybe it’s just that hospitals and death just suck in general

−1

sr214 t1_iyamwpl wrote

I'm so angry. This is is some straight up bullshit. I'm sorry this happened.

−1

mallory125 t1_iyb19pi wrote

What a nightmare. Thank you for sharing your experience -I will be sure not to ever go to AGH emergency. I had terrible experiences there with a loved one as well pre covid. You should share this story locally in Pittsburgh. Nextdoor or Facebook would be good places to start.

−4

myironcity t1_iyamz2r wrote

It’s not a hospital it’s a gulag! Worse than prison! AGH sucks! The policy is bs and they know it but don’t care as long as they can suck up as much fed money as they can rake in. People have had other communicable disease’s, that could kill people, NEVER have they not permitted visitors, they have protocol’s just like any other hospital, and PPE has always been done. They are liars and deserve to become the desolate government run hospital that these demons want. The good thing is there are no shortages of other hospitals.

−13

randoyinzer t1_iy9tix5 wrote

I'm sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you didn't go to the nearby "Leo, a Public House" afterwards to unwind, where the man-child bartender who thinks he's hip hounds the living fuck out of everyone for a vax card.

I'm vaxed and double-boosted and wear a mask on the bus every day, but I still have found that Covid has turned some people into unthinking fascists. It's annoying when encountered in a bar like Leo, but tragic when these people run amok in hospitals and cause emotional damage like you describe.

The 21st century really sucks so far.....

−50