Submitted by stinkylover77 t3_xv5o29 in providence

i’ve (23f) always wanted to go out to a waterfire date but i don’t have a partner rn. i kinda just want to go out with a tinder guy and see what happens but i’m worried it would be like…too much? too romantic for a first date maybe?

tyia

edit: thank you everyone for your advice!!! it def seems like a fun date idea with options to keep it light. i think i just perceive it to be super romantic because I went there a lot as a kid and would fixate on that aspect (ppl making out, couples on the gondola, etc)

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

redditguru1900 t1_ir0dyy0 wrote

Here’s the move: ease into it. Get food first together around north Main Street, maybe like a Parkside or Harry’s burger depending on your style. Then depending on how that goes, on waterfire nights there is usually music and a beer tent/little pop up shops right around Memorial park and sort of where the old Fat Belly’s used to be. Get a beer, check out the music, n then if that all goes well with the date then move further into waterfire like around the basin.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_ir0mfam wrote

Drinks/Coffee first date >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dinner first date.

Either one is fine if it's going well, but if there's red flags or you just get the bad vibe, you'll be so glad you don't have to wait around for an entrée.

PotatosAreDelicious t1_ir1p4vx wrote

Yeah it makes everyone feel better and more relaxed if the first date has an easy exit and low commitment.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_ir1qkgw wrote

Totally. I wouldn't rule out doing that dinner if there'd been a longer "talking" phase or it's something where you're less worried about it being rough.

But all it takes is one rando who says some super weird shit right after you've ordered food to make you say "Never again" to the dinner first date with a rando.

FunLife64 t1_ir0s66i wrote

Too romantic to shuffle through hordes of people and children while listening to earthy music? I don’t know about that.

JSchecter11 t1_ir0rlkh wrote

I would totally do it. Grab a drink at the beer tent, walk around and chat. Low cost, low commitment, over whenever you want to go home. TBH, I think it's a good option.

NessMcNesserson t1_ir19dyv wrote

Bonus points for waterfire: if he's an ass it's easy to loose someone in that crowd lol

sevenVIIghosts t1_ir0wzcj wrote

I think Waterfire is only as romantic as you want it to be. As many have said the crowd is kind of a mix between couples, families, and random groups. Plus you have all the performance artists. To me Waterfire has always been an art installation that you can take away from it what you want. So if you keep the mood between you as fun, casual, and just enjoying the activities then it should be fine.

N8710 t1_ir0qrn1 wrote

If he think waterfire for the first date is too much, it sounds he’s not the one for you!! Need to find someone who matches your energy.

But I see your point. If you want a similar vibe that’s less romantic, Maybe try the jack-o-lanterns at Roger William zoo.

Business-Impress4792 t1_ir0prhv wrote

Maybe try to get one casual date in before the waterfire one! That way you know you like each other initially

BrandonC41 t1_ir1al95 wrote

It was my first date with my wife. Married 9 years now.

nikkicat83 t1_ir2x3s8 wrote

yeah, sure. why not? a nice walk, pretty.

darekta t1_ir2jqic wrote

Not the first, won't be the last. Go for it

continue_Banca_3223 t1_ir2dhha wrote

I think I have been to WaterFire once and never went back. Too cold for me! i would not consider going to WaterFire particularly romantic for me

Previous_Floor t1_ir25t6l wrote

Tinder is mostly a hookup site. The dude will probably be expecting more than making out at waterfire.

−6