Submitted by BurkeyTurger t3_z4sheb in rva

How has today treated y'all? Find any good deals? Or feel free to ignore the prompts and talk amongst yourselves.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Pentakles t1_ixskygm wrote

Today has been kind of a wash. Boss didn't believe pretty much the entire experienced staff telling her that we're never busy the day after the holiday, so we're staffed to the gills looking at two tables.

Only three more hours of service and then I can go have a ham sandwich. (:

juwanna-blomie t1_ixsmcvy wrote

Jeez, I’d rather a slammed holiday shift over a slow one any day. I always hated these type of service industry work days.

Pentakles t1_ixsmn6b wrote

I wish I would have brought UNO or a crossword book.

On days where it's not at least steady all I think about is what I could be doing not in this building.

juwanna-blomie t1_ixsji3v wrote

So far the deals have been SUCKING. At least in terms of pc stuff. But also generally in other areas as well. Thought I did get 2x128gb high-speed SD cards for $5 a piece from Best Buy.

BurkeyTurger OP t1_ixskmk4 wrote

Good find on the SD cards. Agree about the rest of PC stuff. I was hoping EVGA would discount more of their B-stock 30 series stuff since the 3070Tis they have are just above my insta buy price.

WD had their Reds on a decent discount but idk if I want to deal with a Plex server yet. So far running a long HDMI cable from my PC to TV is working out well enough and I still have a few TB free internally.

juwanna-blomie t1_ixskvp8 wrote

I’d love a NAS for storage but not something I should spend on now. But I actually just have my Plex server connected via IP through the Plex app on my smart tv/smart device. Not sure if that’s an option for you but all I do is download media, place in appropriate folder, sync the server, login to server on device I’m viewing, start watching. 😎

BurkeyTurger OP t1_ixsm3va wrote

It probably would work fine but would just be redundant for now. 95% of my downloaded media I watch on the TV that is close to my PC so being plugged in and controlled with a steam controller works out fine.

The other 5% I end up watching on the bedroom TV I just run through Handbrake and stick on a USB since Roku is weird about certain codecs.

BurkeyTurger OP t1_ixsi9yn wrote

After a very stressful Turkey day I was happy to have today to decompress and decided to push work to Sunday since it's gonna rain anyway.

My only forays into shopping were cat litter and liquor but deals are deals.

momthom427 t1_ixso2k2 wrote

I didn’t do any traditional shopping, but I finally took a few things back to the Amazon Hub that have been sitting in my trunk for weeks. While I was out, I went by goodwill to browse. I found a pair of Frye boots in my size that are fabulous. I have the same pair in black and love them. Now I have brown. I can’t wait to wear them. Merry Christmas to me!

Vajama77 t1_ixspxrz wrote

Nothing better than finding something at Goodwill that you just love. I have so many pieces that I've gotten a Goodwill that I've had for 10 plus almost 20 years for some of them.

Littleprisonprism t1_ixuhwpk wrote

Frye boots are cool but I haven’t been able to figure out how to get them on my feet. Even pairs that are multiple size bigger than what I typically wear

momthom427 t1_ixuxlzh wrote

I get it and sometimes have the same issue. I bought a boot stretcher on amazon that does the trick. My main problem is the height of the top of my foot- but you can stretch that to fit. I love them. Super comfortable once you get them right and they last forever with good care.

zorak_robert t1_ixsojtb wrote

Took my mom and son to Seaquest in lynchburg. Fun road trip, but I've been thinking about trying to get out of the house and do grown up stuff.

I've been a single dad for about three years now. I have done a lot of work to get the kiddo and I stable, but I find that I have no real social network of any kind. Rebuilding after divorce sucks, especially when you're the responsible one. Any other single parents want to get together and talk trash about our exes? I got a doozie!

momthom427 t1_ixu32mb wrote

Speaking from experience, it is very hard work after a divorce. I’ve been divorced for about six years now, and still have things pop up now and then with my sons. My advice would be to try very hard not to speak ill of your ex in front of your son, and do the shit talking with friends privately instead. Some days I bite my tongue harder than others, some days I fail, but the effort is worth it for your son’s sake. Wishing you so much good luck as you navigate this new normal with your son. He’s lucky to have a responsible parent looking out for him!

buttonsnbones t1_ixsxkp3 wrote

My 8 year old niece and I are currently having a sleepover night. We got pizza, watched one of the older batman movies, made popcorn, and are now settling down to sleep. We’re getting up early tomorrow to go feed horses and then we’ll be on our way to our family’s thanksgiving!

Yewbaby t1_ixspk1l wrote

I’m about to be the best aunt ever cause I got my nephew an Xbox from target today. I got a $50 target gift card just for making the purchase, which was pretty nice. :)

PhoenixAshies t1_ixskrhx wrote

Decided to decorate for Christmas since I'll be out of town tomorrow. Got up all the extraneous stuff and discovered....our tree accidentally got thrown out during spring cleaning 🤦🏼‍♀️ A quick trip to Walmart solved that problem and the apartment is fully Christmas-a-fied.

I was surprised that Walmart was fairly empty when I went. It doesn't feel like people are as gung-ho on Black Friday as they have been (and is that necessarily a bad thing?)

AlreadyShrugging t1_ixsmcvr wrote

Spent the day out and about and the city felt dead. Hardly anyone out.

Gamegis t1_ixsn1ht wrote

Be glad you weren’t in short pump lol

dr_nerdface t1_ixsn2ft wrote

how early can one order lunch food (specifically spaghetti) at Joe's Inn? like, if I'm there at 8am could spaghetti be ordered?

BrendanQ t1_ixsqqw6 wrote

I drove back to my apartment and then got into my whiskey stash. Who wants to get a drink out at a bar tonight?

Zero_990 t1_ixt5u5n wrote

I am Fucked up 🫡😤🇺🇸

nc95rva t1_ixsl2f4 wrote

Out of town at the in-laws, ate great leftovers and had some downtime to read my book for the first time in weeks. Best Black Friday in years lol

Asterion7 t1_ixslkph wrote

No shopping. Just hanging with fam.. leftovers and world cup earlier. Went for a walk. Playing chess for first time since last year when my brother visited. He is destroying me lol.

Arcangelathanos t1_ixsm9u3 wrote

My sole BF purchase was a $25 gift card from Starbucks so I could get a free $5 promo gift card.

Spent the day cleaning and organizing the utility room using the two new shelves I bought. Finally moved the fancy cat litter box into the small bathroom. I'm hoping New Cat won't destroy it with bad aim. Tomorrow we'll expand the organizing effort to the living room so I can put up the tree.

ChuckBS t1_ixsuz8y wrote

Low key day at the MIL’s place. Watched some stuff on Brit Box, napped, now we’re watching Wednesday on Netflix. That show is surprisingly more entertaining than I thought it would be.

scaryghostnlm t1_ixtaee4 wrote

Any recommendations for swim lessons? Adult here and never learned. Would be willing to pay someone for private lessons too.

[deleted] t1_ixtim9x wrote

Weird time of year to go for swim lessons but I’m sure the ymca does them

Jon_hamm_wallet t1_ixsjuh2 wrote

Chill day today purging the house in preparation for the Christmas influx of stuff. Now I'm at work and it's chill-ish so far knocks on wood

xCatChan t1_ixsqggj wrote

Had late turkey day since more fam was in town today. Drinks with friends at GWAR bar later!! Always a great time :)

DCooper323 t1_ixt5h3b wrote

Anywhere in RVA sell axolotls? Daughter wants one for Christmas. I hate ordering animals.

donniedarkhair t1_ixuf5vv wrote

There's a shop in Mechanicsville that has them but they are really high maintenance animals that need very particular cold water conditions. They also shouldn't be touched unless absolutely necessary which might not make them the best for a kid (their skin is made of cartilage, very sensitive, and permeable).

They're really cute but I'm tired of seeing my friends buy them and then watch them slowly die. They're amazing creatures and I highly encourage getting them as long as you're willing to fully commit to their care. Sorry if this comment is negative.

cassanovadaga t1_ixtaq3i wrote

Might have better luck checking DC and making a day trip

DCooper323 t1_ixtbwe4 wrote

I thought about heading to Raleigh if RVA didn't have any.