Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

bruxalle t1_iwqm4wk wrote

Thanks! Word to the wise, the only explorers with no roof rack are police undercover.

irbnate t1_iwquu4m wrote

F-150 is also being used in Henrico pd for marked and unmarked vehicle

bkemp1984Part2 t1_iwqzwxx wrote

Is there any reason a pickup is advantageous to law enforcement? You can't put suspects in the back (EDIT: as in the bed of the truck) and I'm gonna guess they aren't just tossing a couple rifles back there. Someone tell me they aren't just trying to look cool and (in most cases) manly....

G0RVAMS t1_iwr0qkb wrote

Reread what they wrote. "No roof rack = Cop" is not the same thing as "Roof rack = not cop"

Idek if what they're saying is true, but you're not applying an accurate contrapositive.

idlecrush t1_iwr2qjf wrote

Yes, brand new. I looked at it online last night. I had to do a double take because it looked so weird without it. Normally they are listed on the window sticker and this window sticker didn't have them listed. I am trying to find it again - I looked at a lot last night.

ThrowRA99 t1_iwr5484 wrote

So the advantage is saving money in the budget? I don’t hate that. Figure you get more value out of using it long term than just auctioning it off. And you don’t need a cruiser to write tickets

LostDefectivePearl t1_iwr5dyj wrote

Cow catchers on the front of cop cars are specifically dangerous and increase risk of death of struck pedestrians. Cops have them because they don’t care about killing civilians, they care about looking cool. So I would extend that and say yeah the trucks are probably just to look cool.

DeannaZone t1_iwr7fgb wrote

Lady cop on Pouncey Tract in black SUV, she grabs anyone who turns illegally on it.
Edit: For clarity - There is a female officer who drives in an unmarked Black SUV, mostly on Pouncey Tract, that if you turn without right of way, they will pull you over. The turn at the Burger King and Wal-Mart.

bkemp1984Part2 t1_iwrf0wu wrote

Sure, sure, I meant why the need for the bed in a police vehicle. I was also thinking there'd be reasons they wouldn't want to use a truck cab to haul folks unless they had to, but not sure.

DamILuvFrogs t1_iwrf88m wrote

There’s also unmarked Durango’s, a challenger, and a Camaro.

kldoyle t1_iwrg4we wrote

Saw the same kinda F150 with lights under off Paterson Ave/Pump Rd (Henrico heading towards Goochland)

bruxalle t1_iwrgedo wrote

I guess they are already “guarded” in the same way that the whole city is “guarded” by the police. I’d prefer a jersey barrier since they actually due their job.

DeannaZone t1_iwripe9 wrote

Sorry I will edit original comment. There is a female officer who drives in an unmarked Black SUV, mostly on Pouncey Tract, that if you turn without right of way, they will pull you over. The turn at the Burger King and Wal-Mart.

AHippieDude t1_iwrp56q wrote

Worked in the auto field. Lots of fleet vehicles are sold to municipalities that are made to police spec, but with the cool stuff disabled basically. A few mechanical tweaks and they can be cop vehicles if they had to be

AHippieDude t1_iwrpfas wrote

These were spotted along nine mile a few weeks ago

PuffyMcScrote t1_iwrwy0n wrote

Saw it parked in the median on Ridgefield just up from Gaskins.

Abagofcheese t1_iwrxxvw wrote

I'm in FFX Co and I've seen our cops in Toyotas and plain white cargo vans

wagonboss t1_iwryuxk wrote

Some of these F150s are from the Fire Marshall’s Office too. There’s Navy, Gold, White, and Black in their fleet. They run red & blue. HPD actually has very few unmarked rides, but they do exist!

KiloLee t1_iws2v09 wrote

I work at a diesel repair shop. Like 3 years ago, we had a car hauler come in loaded down with Hyundai sonatas that were fully outfitted as undercover cop cars. I believe they were headed to Georgia, but expect them anywhere.

Live_Cantaloupe6704 t1_iws3pcn wrote

Yea i seen the f150 doing radar on the side of the highway a week ago.

atra_vim t1_iwskdm9 wrote

RPD also has a black F-150 they like to pull up to peoples houses with, just FYI

Beefsupremeh t1_iwsm89z wrote

Undercover cops are just road pirates.

1975hh3 t1_iwt8cpv wrote

The state police has had those for years. Once, several years ago, I was getting lunch and saw a huge group of state cops in the restaurant but there were no cop cars outside. When they left I saw them all get into F-150s. Like 6 of them. Definitely eye opening. Since then, I always look out for pickup trucks on the highways.

cman486 t1_iwt8rdy wrote

i’ll never forget the time i saw a Chevrolet Venture WB edition, no less, with lights on on the side of 95.

ryanrmp804 OP t1_iwt8z7o wrote

Nothing is worse than Fairfax. Them fuckers would take drug dealers cars and make em under covers. G wagons, vettes, SS Camaros, mustangs, integras…. It was fuckin insane

idlecrush t1_iwu52ke wrote

Ha, not a cop. I just don't need them. I have an Edge right now that doesn't have the roof rack. The Explorer's just look so weird without them so now I'm on the fence.

jbarrish t1_iwuv823 wrote

I love Reddit.... people complain about the idiot drivers then make it hard for cops to bust them. Let them fine the hell out of these tools cutting in and out of traffic at 20 over the speed limit. As long as that's not you, you have nothing to worry about. If it is, enjoy your well-deserved fine.

LostDefectivePearl t1_iwv7xbu wrote

I know what they’re actually for. They’re supposed to provide structural support so that cops can crash into people when they’re performing dangerous and ill advised police chases. Someone ran away, rabid dogs run after

−1