Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

alpha_numeric44 t1_iwnl7rq wrote

I use a 2:1 THC:CBD indica vape before bed.

Makes my body stop hurting and puts my to sleep.

Crazocrates t1_iwo5145 wrote

You only think that it does. And so it does. Weird how the human body works

−81

alpha_numeric44 t1_iwo5rfq wrote

Look, dude.. I've done every drug you can think of.

Don't insult me with your accusations of placebo.

Maybe you get fake intoxicated.....

I'm a laborer and have pain daily...

Whatever nerd..... go away.

minion_is_here t1_iwojulo wrote

Do you know how powerful the placebo effect is?

Our minds are literally stronger than many drugs.

−35

Ammear t1_iwp7fav wrote

And many drugs are literally stronger than our minds.

Narcotic painkillers, for one. DMT. Meth.

Do you know how powerful drugs can be?

Crazocrates t1_iwo7791 wrote

They have already shown that CBD is not doing anything for your pain and it is entirely the THC. But think what you need to think.

−48

frizz1111 t1_iwo7uhj wrote

So what does CBD do if anything?

G20fortified t1_iwoxiyc wrote

It helps some people but it’s mainly a bs marketing ploy to make investors rich and appease the anti feel good authoritarian ruling class traitors. The entourage effect of cannabis is the most effective & satisfying combination. Cannabis has always been meant to be used in conjunction with all it’s cannabinoids contained. Isolating them for single use is dumb. Eventually Americans will realize this. Regardless. The route legalization has gone has created a dialog for humans looking for safe & effective relief from countless ailments. Something humans have know for thousands of years. Not new at all.

Strazdas1 t1_iwpa3zj wrote

It works as a downer, keeps you calm and sleepy?

aleph32 t1_iwnobfc wrote

This was a negative result for what they set out to show.

As for dosing: > Each cannabis dose consisted of 10 mg of THC (two standard THC units [16]) and either 0 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg, or 30 mg of CBD. Participants were given preparations with CBD:THC ratios of 0:1, 1:1, 2:1, and 3:1, in a random order across visits.... Cannabis preparations were administered using a Volcano® Medic Vaporiser

charmorris4236 t1_iwnqnf1 wrote

Sheesh were these people extremely heavy smokers because I puked the first time I tried a volcano and I smoked pretty often

tofu_schmo t1_iwo34bf wrote

They have tiny caps you can fill and place in the bowl to make the hits much less intense. I can't imagine taking medicinal amounts of weed through a volcano with a full size bowl!

charmorris4236 t1_iwo4qkc wrote

Ahh okay that makes more sense. To me volcano = stupid high, even with a tolerance!

BrothelWaffles t1_iwo3kdc wrote

10mg is a seriously light dose for smoking / vaping. It's like, 1/20th of a gram of 20% THC bud, which is on the lower end of potency these days. For reference I'm not a super heavy smoker but I do have a bit of a tolerance, and I use a Dynavap with about 1/8th of a gram per session, 4 - 6 times per day. Depending on the strain that's anywhere from 25 to 40 mg per session.

realJanetSnakehole t1_iwouenp wrote

Isn't 10mg what's usually in gummy edibles? When I first started taking edibles recreationally I had to split them into 8ths, and even then it was almost too strong of a high for me.

Geo_Doug t1_iwpqj2s wrote

My understanding is that potency from edibles doesn’t track super well to inhaled products. That said, response is subjective for each.

Regardless, I personally agree with the original comment - these doses may be too low to illicit strong enough responses to either THC or CBD.

thalassicus t1_iwtndvs wrote

You’re correct and the poster above stating 10mg is no big deal is incorrect. The actual percentages of bioavailability varies with a bunch of factors, but is highest via inhalation (31%-50%) followed by sublingual. Ingesting is pretty inefficient (10%-19%).

mazu74 t1_iwnpvxq wrote

I don’t think anyone consumes THC and CBD thinking they’ll be less impaired or less high, quite the opposite really. If you’re not doing it for medical reasons, you take THC and CBD for a better high than THC alone. Kinda a weird study considering it’s obvious to anyone who consumes cannabis, but yet again, studies on cannabis were heavily restricted so maybe this is significant for some other reason than informing the public?

[deleted] t1_iwnzlxe wrote

[deleted]

ShayShayLeFunk t1_iwqkn6u wrote

> You may not have heard of it, but the conventional wisdom is that CBD diminishes the intoxicating effect of THC.

From what I have been seeing CBD lowers anxiety caused by THC

shmorby t1_iwrrfej wrote

And unfortunately it's impossible to find any strains in recreational dispensaries with a significant CBD content because "conventional wisdom" said it reduces the high. I just wanna get high without anxiety but everytime I ask a place for a strain with higher CBD they're puzzled and direct me to cbd only products.

ShayShayLeFunk t1_iwsh6c7 wrote

I am thinking a cbd gummy am hour before might do the trick.

shmorby t1_iwsq5a9 wrote

Usually my go to but its a bit silly when I was younger and strains were more reasonable instead of the pursuit of ludicrous levels of thc and nothing else.

nastyasiwannabe t1_iwr63w3 wrote

never heard that. I always felt it just slowed everything down a bit

Barnowl79 t1_iwoasyt wrote

Are you in Colorado? That was the only place I ever found CBD strains labeled as "medicinal". In the rest of the country we consider cbd an intensity-lowering cannabinoid. We might be wrong but it's definitely the majority opinion.

mazu74 t1_iwpn83v wrote

Michigan, though I’ve never heard of this before. Always just that it produces a better high (and I do smoke CBD with my primarily THC flower so…).

same_ol_same_ol t1_iwoc75u wrote

I have never heard the suggestion that CBD lowers intensity... I'm really surprised to hear it was studied. Can't speak for all of Canada of course

Barnowl79 t1_iwod858 wrote

Read literally any of the pseudo scientific articles in cannabis magazines about the entourage effect in relation to THC, CBD, and anxiety.

mazu74 t1_iwpng48 wrote

That sounds like they’re saying it produces a better high with the entourage effect, not it produces a less intense effect. CBD is certainly known for helping to relieve anxiety, but again, I’ve still never once heard it reduces the intensity of the high itself…

PMzyox t1_iwnmyhw wrote

Study of 45 people? So it was like a dude who took a survey at a frat party?

Pr0gr3s t1_iwnxqdq wrote

45 is actually a decent N for a RCT with a within subjects design. The design increases statistical power significantly over a between subjects design, which is likely what you are picturing.

clashmt t1_iwo7rrs wrote

This is such a baseless comment. I really wish the moderators would moderate comments like this. 46 people is actually a better than expected n for a first pass RCT like this.

PMzyox t1_iwo8hr9 wrote

Ok all science based study mathematics aside, if it was really ok to study something on just 46 people and then conclude how all of humanity would react to it, the fda would have been able to clear the Covid vaccines in an afternoon. I understand where you are coming from but the ask from this sample group is unrealistic for the claims

−16

clashmt t1_iwo9j9j wrote

>if it was really ok to study something on just 46 people and then conclude how all of humanity would react to it, the fda would have been able to clear the Covid vaccines in an afternoon.

There is essentially no single study which can make conclusions of that magnitude. That's what meta analyses and systematic reviews are for.

Please show me where the authors overstep their conclusions in ways which are unfounded based on the sample size in the RCT.

​

Also,

>Ok all science based study mathematics aside

Gotta love the presumption that the person you're talking to doesn't have a background in statistics.

dustymoon1 t1_iwno42k wrote

Also, they didn't say if they were mixed pure compounds or not. If not what other compounds are there? It has been shown, with oils with other cannabinoids and terpenes act different. This is a diengenuous study at best.

210C is also too high of a temperature. 210F is enough to vaporize THC/CBD. Vape temp depends on terpenes present, not cannabinoids - THCA to THC occurs at 210F and THC is volatile at that point. They were getting breakdown of THC at that temperature.

[deleted] t1_iwnw89m wrote

Puffco puts out a dialed in e-bong. 232°C, 260, 288, 315, then runs ot through water to cool. 210°C is perfect for this old pothead for concentrates.

dustymoon1 t1_iwnwkg2 wrote

It is a little high in temperature. Many vape companies came from the tobacco industry and nicotine needs higher temps.

−1

jungles_fury t1_iwnqv9n wrote

Aww the Reddit squad of people who only know what sample size is and are clueless about the rest of science. Cute, maybe go back to your kitchen playset

very_spicy_churro t1_iwnt2q9 wrote

Ikr this study barely had enough people to establish the difference between baseline and THC.

−3

hauntedbutt t1_iwoitpt wrote

If effect size is large enough you don’t need that many samples. They, apparently, were able to achieve statistical significance. So, like, your assumptions are wrong ?

very_spicy_churro t1_iwolgey wrote

They were able to find a statistically significant difference between baseline and THC, but not between THC and THC+CBD. What I'm saying is that you need more than 46 people to pick up subtle differences.

−2

Goatsrams420 t1_iwnn1j8 wrote

Ya, because cbd isn't an anti agonist to EC1. THCV is however and it has the opposite effects of THC.

debasing_the_coinage t1_iwora6f wrote

>participants inhaled vaporised cannabis containing 10 mg THC and either

10 milligrams of THC is a relatively low dose, at which few adverse side effects (particularly anxiety/fear) would normally be present.

It's also noticeable in the appendix that the drop-out rate was noticeably higher in the 3:1 (highest CBD level) group. 10 participants in this group left the study, while no more than 3 left from any other group. Four of those were due to "unpleasant drug experience", two to "overintoxication".

I've taken more than 30 milligrams of CBD at a single time and it isn't that strong. Studies trialling CBD for schizophrenia or cancer have pushed the dose to hundreds of milligrams, which starts to show adverse effects but is apparently bearable. The authors don't comment on this peculiarity.

SillyScareCrow t1_iwpw5u0 wrote

As a schizophrenic cbd makes a massive difference when partaking. Something is missing.

glichez t1_iwoiteg wrote

"impairment" is simply correlated to tolerance.

AutoModerator t1_iwnd7mo wrote

Welcome to r/science! This is a heavily moderated subreddit in order to keep the discussion on science. However, we recognize that many people want to discuss how they feel the research relates to their own personal lives, so to give people a space to do that, personal anecdotes are allowed as responses to this comment. Any anecdotal comments elsewhere in the discussion will be removed and our normal comment rules apply to all other comments.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Cloudboy9001 t1_iwp5fc6 wrote

While not particularly relevant to the aim of this study, CBD is often dosed in the hundreds of mg (with doses around 1g/day being evaluated for schizophrenia).

liquid_at t1_iwpj711 wrote

CBG might work better. It's a THC antagonist.

oldastheriver t1_iwpulgj wrote

I am not understanding this. The abstract us testing the anecdotal belief that consuming cbd BEFORE thc (thus filling availabke receptors with cbd in the dominant position) reduces amnesia, panic, anxiety. Then testing the 2 substances commingled together, which of course will fail. The test dies not measure the veracity of the original anecdote.

Pollo_Jack t1_iwq9w82 wrote

Holy hell those are some big doses. 10mg is a lot.

How experienced were these subjects?

That's like trying to mitigate a shot of everclear with multiple glasses of water.

oldastheriver t1_iwpqigg wrote

the statement "no evidence of subjective effects" is specious, to say the least. Impairment, maybe...

Bulky-Pool-5180 t1_iwqxoyd wrote

CBD and THC do not "protect". They activate the DORMANT Endogenous Cannabinoid Receptor System, and the human body then has the capacity to marshall resources for the benefit of the human.

These people have little compression how this plant works...because they do not use it in practice...only theory.

settledownguy t1_iwoemnn wrote

These studies posted in this sub are a real joke lately. 45 people. Are you $@&%ing high??

−8

FlipZer0 t1_iwo41vc wrote

46 people does not a study make. That's not even a good polling number for an average American high school.

−11