Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Nukemouse t1_jaxr5vu wrote

So, its a device that if vandalized costs you more than anything else that could happen in that parking lot

maskedpaki t1_jay5wyk wrote

A human if vandalised would cost even more.

Vandalising something with cameras sensors that can send an immediate distress signal is a very bad idea.

TinyBurbz t1_jay8it4 wrote

>Vandalising something with cameras sensors that can send an immediate distress signal is a very bad idea.

It's made of plastic.

maskedpaki t1_jay96s4 wrote

And ? What's your point ?

Plastic objects cant have sensors and cameras ?

TinyBurbz t1_jay9lpj wrote

So it's a an unfixed plastic object filed with sensitive electronics that is easily disabled by a can of spray paint?

maskedpaki t1_jayb2dz wrote

Yh and when it's disabled it sends an alert for a human to come in person. The idea isn't 0 humans in the loop. It's put these in the majority of a site area and have a smaller number of humans at a control center.

I'm guessing youve never worked in security. Most security guards don't do anything other than alert more senior members. I've worked security and can tell you a year can go by doing nothing more than sending a message to a security manager when something goes wrong.

berdiekin t1_jb0nh02 wrote

>Yh and when it's disabled it sends an alert for a human to come in person.

oh no, at that point I only have like 30 minutes to an hour to make a daring escape!

Joking aside I do see the value especially when combined with a static camera system.

TinyBurbz t1_jayh3p5 wrote

>Yh and when it's disabled it sends an alert for a human to come in person.

So it serves as an item to create a distraction?

>The idea isn't 0 humans in the loop. It's put these in the majority of a site area and have a smaller number of humans at a control center.

How does this offer an advantage over security cameras that are significantly harder to disable?

>I'm guessing youve never worked in security. Most security guards don't do anything other than alert more senior members.

Every fucking time. EVERY FUCKING TIME.

"I guess you just DONT KNOW" its a fucking meme at this point.

>I've worked security and can tell you a year can go by doing nothing more than sending a message to a security manager when something goes wrong.

I can see why you use past tense.

−9

maskedpaki t1_jaykbys wrote

>So it serves as an item to create a distraction?

No. It notifies the security manager when there is an issue. Security guards arent batman. The job is to observe and report. Years will go by just observing and reporting. Any time something dangerous happens the police are called to resolve the issue. They have the relevant legal authority.

​

>How does this offer an advantage over security cameras that are significantly harder to disable?

because it can move in 3d space. Seeing things through static cameras that you cant manipulate in 3d space is like really hard. But once again you wouldnt know about that if youve never been in the industry. Call that a meme or whatever you want. Ignorance is ignorance.

​

>Every fucking time. EVERY FUCKING TIME.

Yup. Every fucking time. EVERY FUCKING TIME you show complete ignorance about what people in an industry Ive worked in actually do all day I will call you out on not knowing what you are talking about. Dont get me wrong there are people whove never worked in security who know what the job entails. You just happen not to be one of those people.

​

>I can see why you use past tense.

I left willingly because the hours never seem to match well to my graduate school program. I have never been fired from a security role and have been asked to return many times since leaving the industry.

OCCCSHARK t1_jazaih2 wrote

You say "you don't know what's its like to work in security" as if you were working for the NSA.

Security jobs are some of the simplest and most easily understood professions to ever exist.

So why don't you fill us in on the big secret? What do we not understand about security officers and how they make sure places are secure?

−3

maskedpaki t1_jazanj6 wrote

That's the whole point I've been making !

It's a simple job and a machine like in the article could do 90% of what I spent my time doing.

TinyBurbz t1_jaziwdu wrote

> It's a simple job and a machine like in the article could do 90% of what I spent my time doing.

Thats why these machines were mostly abandoned by adopters almost entirely in 2018 right?

−2

TinyBurbz t1_jazj55x wrote

>You say "you don't know what's its like to work in security" as if you were working for the NSA.

Watch out. In another thread maskedpaki told us ALL about his WEEK of training!

TinyBurbz t1_jaylemz wrote

>Any time something dangerous happens the police are called to resolve the issue. They have the relevant legal authority.

So again.... what is the advantage over security cameras then?

>because it can move in 3d space. Seeing things through static cameras that you cant manipulate in 3d space is like really hard.

Those cameras look incredibly low to the ground to be of a tactical advantage. I highly doubt you know what you are talking about at this point. Also not sure how 3D space is relevant at all here. Explain.

>But once again you wouldnt know about that if youve never been in the industry.

I don't need to be to know this is a shit idea, which is why I doubt your credentials.

>Call that a meme or whatever you want. Ignorance is ignorance.

It's a meme.

>Yup. Every fucking time. EVERY FUCKING TIME you show complete ignorance about what people in an industry Ive worked in actually do all day I will call you out on not knowing what you are talking about.

The jokes write themselves.

>Dont get me wrong there are people whove never worked in security who know what the job entails. You just happen not to be one of those people.

Bro, you are really tying to convince me that a: slow moving, undefended, low to the ground, plastic, multi-thousand dollar attractive nuance is an advantage over security cameras... because... 3D Space?

How does 3D space offer an advantage over cameras and motion sensors that have a vantage point?

Explain that to be "expert."

>I left willingly because the hours never seem to match well to my graduate school program.

Doubt

>I have never been fired from a security role and have been asked to return many times since leaving the industry.

Thank god.

−6

maskedpaki t1_jayr8cq wrote

>Those cameras look incredibly low to the ground to be of a tactical advantage. I highly doubt you know what you are talking about at this point. Also not sure how 3D space is relevant at all here. Explain.

Cameras are hung on high ceilings. They are often hard to see from and have blindspots.

​

>I don't need to be to know this is a shit idea, which is why I doubt your credentials.

lol my credentials ? You mean the 1 week long training I did to be a security guard? You have some weird idealised version of what a security guard is.

​

>Those cameras look incredibly low to the ground to be of a tactical advantage

humans are mostly standing on the ground in most crime scenes. Low is not a tactical disadvantage. Not when it can move around.

​

>The jokes write themselves.

And yet you were made by your parents.

​

>Bro, you are really tying to convince me that a: slow moving, undefended, low to the ground, plastic, multi-thousand dollar attractive nuance is an advantage over security cameras... because... 3D Space?

Yup.

​

​

>How does 3D space offer an advantage over cameras and motion sensors that have a vantage point?

Explain that to be "expert."

Because moving on the ground is like .. exactly what the job of a security guard is. We like walk around and observe whats going on in exactly the same way this bot does.

​

>I left willingly because the hours never seem to match well to my graduate school program.

What are you doubting here ? the reason I left being a security guard ? What would one gain from lying about that. Its not like its some high tier profession that only the select few can do. I was making 13.50 an hour.

​

>Thank god.

For someone who knows literally 0 about what the job entails you sure like to pass judgement about what makes a good security officer.

[deleted] t1_jayzl8n wrote

I think you may be arguing with a child or a teenager. Either way, the maturity is clearly one-sided here.

[deleted] t1_jaz7c73 wrote

[removed]

−1

[deleted] t1_jaz7gun wrote

Yep, this is definitely not an adult. Don't waste your energy.

TinyBurbz t1_jazkhoi wrote

>Yep, this is definitely not an adult.

I'd go out on a limb and guess Im old enough to be your parent.

NefariousNaz t1_jaznx4h wrote

The fact that you're using video game memes make me doubt that.

TinyBurbz t1_jazqc2k wrote

You know whats crazy, you are arguing on behalf if this nerd and you missed the part where these bots basically stopped being used in 2018 because of how easy to vandalize they are.

Also... video game memes?

NefariousNaz t1_jb20umm wrote

No I realize that I already read the comment. It doesn't take away from the fact that your posts are immature and filled with meme that originated in video games.

It sounds like you have no real world experience.

TinyBurbz t1_jb26u8w wrote

>No I realize that I already read the comment. It doesn't take away from the fact that your posts are immature and filled with meme that originated in video games.

"Meme that originated in videogames" says the cryprobro.

How are those bags feeling these days?

​

>It sounds like you have no real world experience.

Neither do you.

NefariousNaz t1_jb2zcor wrote

I've made hundreds of thousands of dollars. My bags are feeling fine. If you'll look at the market if you invested before 2021 you're ahead. Of course you haven't done any sort of research so you don't know that.

I'm not the one making posts using video game memes. And your post really is "no, u"? Can't come up with anything better?

TinyBurbz t1_jaz915m wrote

> Cameras are hung on high ceilings. They are often hard to see from and have blindspots.

We are talking about the robot.

>Vandalising something with cameras sensors that can send an immediate distress signal is a very bad idea.

This one, the one you said has cameras.

> lol my credentials ? You mean the 1 week long training I did to be a security guard? You have some weird idealised version of what a security guard is.

I rest my case.

> humans are mostly standing on the ground in most crime scenes.

So now you remember the cameras are on the robot, convenient.

>Low is not a tactical disadvantage. Not when it can move around.

Yeah, you learned a lot about observation in that whopping week of training didn't you.

> And yet you were made by your parents

Not sure that works as well as you think it does.

> "Bro, you are really tying to convince me that a: slow moving, undefended, low to the ground, plastic, multi-thousand dollar attractive nuance is an advantage over security cameras... because... 3D Space?"

> Yup.

Meanwhile, in reality these things get attacked with barbecue sauce and tarps before being deemed pointless and expensive. (Happened in 2017)

> Because moving on the ground is like .. exactly what the job of a security guard is.

It's more than walking beats. But you'd know that if you had more than a week.

>We like walk around and observe whats going on in exactly the same way this bot does.

Yeah, but you can defend yourself from a tarp. You dont become suddenly useless cause someone sprayed sauce on you.

> What are you doubting here ?

That you are in any kind of "graduate program"

>What would one gain from lying about that.

Trying to seem more well educated in order to win this argument that you have lost horribly.

>Its not like its some high tier profession that only the select few can do. I was making 13.50 an hour.

Wow, you worked as a minimum wage guard at some cushy office after a whopping week of training.

That qualifies you so much to speak on security systems, huh?

> For someone who knows literally 0 about what the job entails you sure like to pass judgement about what makes a good security officer.

You had ONE WEEK of training.

−1

maskedpaki t1_jaz9xqo wrote

>We are talking about the robot

I was comparing the robot to static cameras. Read the conversation again you dipshit.

>It's more than walking beats. But you'd know that if you had more than a week.

I worked for several years. The week is for learning theory about the legal responsibilities. You can't even distinguish work from training you absolute moron.

>Wow, you worked as a minimum wage guard at some cushy office after a whopping week of training.

I've worked in several places spanning from retail to construction sites and yes cushy offices.

>You had ONE WEEK of training

Read the comment dipshit. I mention that you have 0 experience with what the JOB entails. I didn't work at the JOB for a week.

TinyBurbz t1_jazi044 wrote

>I was comparing the robot to static cameras. Read the conversation again you dipshit.

So you *intentionally* spoke about the wrong thing in context. Neat.

>I worked for several years. The week is for learning theory about the legal responsibilities.

For whatever chair surfing you did, sure.

What about guards who have to learn Defensive-Evassive driving and carry guns... not quite the same training is it?

You dont know shit compared to them.

Your experience as security doesn't qualify you to speak on these bots.

>You can't even distinguish work from training you absolute moron.

Man you just gotta win this huh.

>I've worked in several places spanning from retail to construction sites and yes cushy offices.

Wow.

>Read the comment dipshit. I mention that you have 0 experience with what the JOB entails. I didn't work at the JOB for a week.

Listen here Paul Blart, the purpose of this coversation was to discuss the viability of the K5 robot; that you are defending.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/07/18/us/security-robot-drown-trnd/index.html

https://abc7news.com/police-say-drunk-man-knocked-down-security-robot-in-mountain-view-k-5-knightscope-robots-named-k5/1915713/

Oh and when its actually needed to call security it tells you to fuck off and plays a song:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/robocop-park-fight-how-expectations-about-robots-are-clashing-reality-n1059671

Edit:

crickets chirping

Nukemouse t1_jay9apq wrote

Why would a human be more likely to be vandalized in a parking lot than anywhere else?

maskedpaki t1_jaykp26 wrote

They wouldnt be. The point is talking about edge cases like vandalism doesn't say much about the economics of automated security.

Sure some people will break bots.

Just like some people will steal packages from your front door. The macro question is whether the industry can absorb the new vandalism cases. I suspect it could.

Nukemouse t1_jaymgxn wrote

Vandalism of the robot would be more expensive than the common vandalism cases in the area it is protecting. If it creates a more popular target for vandalism that costs more to replace than the car or graffiti its supposedly preventing its terrible. This isn't an edge case, its a far more likely target.

maskedpaki t1_jayomtp wrote

its also a far more serious crime like how grand theft auto doesnt carry the same sentence as stealing a candy bar.

Why vandalise something that has sensors and can send a distress signal 50 milliseconds into you breaking it. You arent going to improve your chances by immediately putting a site on red alert after its surveillance systems have been messed with.

maskedpaki t1_jaypeaz wrote

In my own experience when a door or camera was tampered with it sent a level 1 alert to the control center of the site I was working on. Why would anyone choose a strategy that leads to several men from the control room immediately showing up where you are committing your crime in a minute or 2. This is not a good strategy or a common one.

TinyBurbz t1_jaz9sgg wrote

> In my own experience

The week of it?

−2

maskedpaki t1_jazaa1f wrote

No the several years of actually being on the job and seeing how the industry works in retail construction and office spaces. But I'm sure this pales in comparison to what a keyboard warrior who has never worked a day as a guard would know.

TinyBurbz t1_jazinnm wrote

> a keyboard warrior who has never worked a day as a guard would know.

Yeah, you were working hard sitting on your ass.

TinyBurbz t1_jaz9qo4 wrote

Ignore this /u/maskedpaki guy he has literally no idea what hes talking about:

>You mean the 1 week long training I did to be a security guard? You have some weird idealised version of what a security guard is.

maskedpaki t1_jazahdt wrote

Yes and you who has never worked a security job knows way more about how the job works than someone who worked it in a variety of roles and companies over years.

You are a tool.

TinyBurbz t1_jaziq3r wrote

> Yes and you who has never worked a security job knows way more about how the job works than someone who worked it in a variety of roles and companies over years.

You know "knowing how the job works" has 0 to do with "knowing an expensive robot is a target for vandals"

theabominablewonder t1_jazvrwl wrote

At the moment it is, cost of robotics is expected to fall dramatically so maybe it fulfils an edge case in the future. Maybe..

TinyBurbz t1_jaxqgcf wrote

Security theater.

Cant' see the advantage of this over security cameras.

Kinexity t1_jayeonp wrote

There is no adventage. At best it's another idea where the creator did not think about drawbacks. At worst it's investor money grift.

ironborn123 t1_jb4962z wrote

Maybe this can scare off animals, but certainly not human intruders.

TinyBurbz t1_jb4uzgc wrote

They are 100% an attractive nuisance which is why they stopped marketing them for the most part, years ago.

ftc1234 t1_jay6act wrote

Why not just have a few drones circle the parking lot and power themselves frequently at a base station? Even better, what’s wrong with CCTV cameras? Drones and CCTV cameras complement pretty well.

LilOcean t1_jaynr7u wrote

Drones are pretty noisy, but yeah CCTV is probably better anyway.

techy098 t1_jb2340j wrote

These are just deterrents. Security cameras are enough to diagnose a security issue but this one will be right in the face deterrent which will discourage any punk from thinking about any act.

But I prefer a drone since that cannot be harmed by any punk and it looks more threatening to an intruder.

Lawjarp2 t1_jaza30e wrote

Glorified security camera. Grifters calling themselves creators and making money selling a 300 pound slow moving rock with cameras. All this money could be better spent elsewhere.

jeffkeeg t1_jay0y7o wrote

>tip it over

Now we can do all the crimes.

Stakbrok t1_jayd2bj wrote

Is that music added on top of the video or does it actually make that annoying sound irl? If the latter, this will surely keep everyone away from there. Including people who live in the vicinity trying to sleep lmao.

[deleted] t1_jays8sp wrote

Qualcomm messed around with these in their parking garages in the San Diego campus. They got rid of them.

grimke7552 t1_jaysra9 wrote

there was one in a gas station in San Francisco it's not there anymore

NJ-B t1_jayyi8j wrote

They should hire more black robots.

ickN t1_jazc5tn wrote

We have similar robots in some of the grocery stores and malls here in Thailand. They have displays where you can search for things and you can ask the mall ones questions that they’ll reply to.

wordyplayer t1_jazkuj7 wrote

did you try the stealth box trick on them?

LUNA_underUrsaMajor t1_jaz8as5 wrote

They already have drones that will automatically fly around a property doing surveillance.

GoryRamsy t1_jazd1nd wrote

Give me a wifi de-auther and a long stick.

Tiamatium t1_jazipx7 wrote

How the fuck is it not stolen yet?

Circuitsnake t1_jazm63t wrote

Someone clearly played Watch Dogs 2 too much

Ok-Cheek2397 t1_jb04ejb wrote

We just need to put a gun on it and tell it to shoot when ever it see unusual activity

57duck t1_jb0g33f wrote

Every business news website viewed without adblock: INVEST IN KNIGHTSCOPE!!!1!

HikariRikue t1_jb14vgq wrote

Bruh I swear I hacked those things and had them kill ppl in watchdogs 2

neemo2511 t1_jb1xxqk wrote

Either watchdogs 2 or ghost recon breakpoint vibes.. don't know which scenario would be better

InitialCreature t1_jb1n8jc wrote

walk up holding a black tarp and then throw it over top, tip that bitch like a cow