Submitted by brainkandy87 t3_10vs994 in springfieldMO

Surprisingly I couldn’t find a thread about this in this sub. Definitely done having kids. My wife and I use Mercy but fortunately my insurance will cover me anywhere in town. Any recommendations/experiences with docs that perform vasectomies?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Great-Bratton t1_j7jfkkg wrote

I got mine at Planned Parenthood. Awesome experience, cost around $1000 all told, but if that’s too steep I’m sure they have options. Highly recommend them for this!

SpiltMelon t1_j7k6am1 wrote

I had mine done at a Meecy doc clinic on s National went fantastic. I don’t even think it cost over a couple hundred. That was 5 years ago though

Economagicman t1_j7ke5xf wrote

As I am in the same boat and want to protect my little fellers, I hope for my reviews and recommendations hahahaha

NoKillPaperPlanes t1_j7kkzag wrote

I did cox and it only cost me $50 with my insurance. The procedure itself fucking SUCKED but it was worth it and over in like 10 minutes. Don't be afraid to ask for plenty of numbing sauce and have someone to drive you and take care of you. Definitely don't try to work for the next few days as you'll be sore as fuck.

Caspers_Chili_Farts t1_j7klxiy wrote

I'm 2 weeks post getting my wings clipped. I use Mercy too unfortunately and they will not perform the procedure at their facilities because of their special religious discrimination privileges or whatever. Anyway, I went to my Urologist (Dr. Guilliams) and was told he would perform the procedure, but it had to be at a third party surgical center which was fine by me. The procedure was done at Rex Witherspoon and cost $1100, but hopefully I can recover some of that by submitting it to my insurance, still waiting to hear back on that. The first 3 or so days, I barely moved from the couch and I was pretty sore. By the end of the first week most of the swelling had gone down and I could move much better. Now at 2 weeks post-op the boys feel pretty much back to normal, but the sutures are giving me some discomfort as they dissolve and start loosening up. Let me know if you have any questions.

cmdrjek t1_j7ktaao wrote

Jordan Valley did mine a few years back. With insurance cost $25 out of pocket. Was done in a pediatrician office, seemed fitting.

nacixenom t1_j7kx84c wrote

Had mine done at Cox Urology. I think it cost $250 or so with insurance plus a couple bucks for the prescriptions I was given.

It wasn't enjoyable, but I've had worse times at the dentist. Definitely rest up like they say and take it easy, you'll probably be a little sore.

Caspers_Chili_Farts t1_j7lqzlj wrote

You'll be ok. I was super nervous before my procedure, but the drugs they give you help a ton. Pro tip: Wear compression shorts to keep things from moving around after the procedure, then put another pair of boxer briefs on and use those to hold your peas in place. Good luck buddy!

notnotpegbundy t1_j7n5buk wrote

Hubby had it done. Went through cox. I babied him for a couple of days but he said he’d recommend it to anyone

cmiller727 t1_j7nt1jt wrote

We use Mercy but are in the same boat the our insurance covers Cox too (hee hee). Hubby had his done through Cox Urology almost 2 years ago. I think from first phone call to actual procedure it took about 3-4 weeks. He was sore the first few days but was fine after that. His biggest surprise was the bruising. It was very...colorful...for a few days. We paid out of pocket for the entire procedure - I want to say $860 - and our insurance reimbursed us $800. So we were only technically out the $60 office copay.

Punnchy t1_j7nxden wrote

Last time this was a thread a lot of folks said they went through cox (as did I), and we all got a Dr. Henderson (who's a bit of a smart ass) but it was quick and relatively painless, was back to work the next day. Cost 200-300 with insurance.

blitzalchemy t1_j7rd9l4 wrote

Had mine done last year, pro tip no matter who you go to, if you feel ANYTHING aside from the needle administering the local anesthetic during the procedure, let the doctor know. Dont try to tough it out, communicate.

Otherwise, Cox Urology in the Ferrell-Duncan Building, any of the doctors really. Youll get pain killers and some meds to relax you prior to the procedure. You'll need a driver if you take the relaxer. Cost depends on your insurance but there are financial advisors that run the cost for you. It has to be paid in advance.

Stat63 t1_j7t9lrx wrote

Mine is scheduled for this Friday at Ferrell-Duncan Urology with Dr. Bailey. I’m excited to get it done, yet a little nervous at the same time. My wife and I have no kids and want to make sure it stays that way.

kenderman1 t1_j7vbckk wrote

Just understand that for about 5-7 weeks, you're still able to make a baby. Wear a condom (or your preferred contraceptive). They will have you come (pun) back in and give them a cup of your goods. Once they see no swimmers, you're good to go. Best decision ever. Also, frozen peas are legit. Keep em cool for a few days and stay off your feet.

Loselguapo t1_j7xo0x5 wrote

Got mine done last week at planned parenthood insurance covered it. Took about an hour and the discomfort is mostly gone a week later.

noavocadoonlytomato t1_j80js31 wrote

My husband got his done at the Ferrell-Duncan Clinic at cox. He only went in one time before just as a consultant, no push back about his decision.

reluctant_buttlicker t1_j88hiwr wrote

After 3 boys it's the best thing I've ever done. Be a Sunkist orange...all of the juice, none of the seeds