Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

n2oc10h12c8h10n402 t1_j9h40n9 wrote

My first thought would be don't stay with a cheater. That's obviously your decision to make based on your life arrangements.

One thing you need for sure is to get tested. Being cheated on always brings the risk of STDs.

There's no competition, you can't compete being the person you got cheated on with a man or woman. It's not something you didn't do or something that was lacking on your relationship. It's the commitment you partner doesn't have and it's the lack of care he has for you. Someone who loves you, won't hurt you.

None of these is your fault.

Certain_Syllabubb OP t1_j9h5dp8 wrote

I feel like if I hadn't brought this man in our life then all this wouldn't have happened. It may not be the logical thing but my brain is in chaos

Similar_Corner8081 t1_j9hvqzm wrote

Op don’t make the same mistake I did. He cheated on me before we got married. I forgave him and said it was my fault. I know now that it has nothing to do with me but I forgave him anyway. We got married and he cheated on me after we got married.

We are getting a divorce because I’m so unhappy. Life is so short and you shouldn’t feel lonely when you’re partner is sitting next to you. He has become a stranger and I ask myself sis I ever really know him,

erling7856 t1_j9j5fxr wrote

You’d be surprised how many “straight” or married guys are on Grindr and other gay dating sites. Sorry this happened to you, you’re not alone and it’s not your fault.

triteratops1 t1_j9l6x4v wrote

My ex was one. It was fun because I had very well meaning gay men "coming to me as a friend" because he couldn't even bother to NOT try to hook up with people we both know. Multiple times.

BelligerentShort t1_j9nhtpj wrote

Definitely not her fault. A bisexual or closeted cheater is still a cheater.

GsTSaien t1_j9hhqwu wrote

Maybe that is true, he may have ended up cheating when you were married with kids instesd. He is a cheater, you found out now, that is good. Everything else is pretty bad...

It isn't about competing with men, he is likely bisexual. He may still love you; he just also loves this man and doesn't know how to handle that.

That, however, is his problem, not yours. You have been wronged and deserve better. Your trust has been breached and communication has not been respected, what he did is not ok.

Confront him however you need. You can be angry, you can be hurt, you can be confused, any of that is valid; just get closure and make your choice accordingly afterwards.

Emergency_Raise_7803 t1_j9hg3nt wrote

Don’t blame yourself for choices your BF made, he’s an adult and he is responsible for his actions. Do whatever you need to do to keep yourself safe.

a-_rose t1_j9i2et8 wrote

Nothing you did or can do will stop a cheater from cheating. That’s a decision that’s 100% on him. You did NOT FU. This is NOT your fault. Get all your affairs in order before speaking to him.

gosh-josh t1_j9htho1 wrote

You did a good thing, bringing back someone you believed to be a good platonic friend. He’s the one who chose to cheat, deceive you, and possibly lied about the nature of their previous relationship in the army

Failp0 t1_j9hfm79 wrote

I mean... would you rather be in a marriage to a man where the entire foundation was a lie? You're in your 30s. That's some 20s talk, when our brains are still growin lol. Better now than 10 years and 2 kids later, you walk in on him and the neighbor. He did you a favor.

n2oc10h12c8h10n402 t1_j9h65dj wrote

None of these was something you could have avoided. It would have happened anyway. Not because of you, but because cheaters are cheaters.

Go get tested!!!!

kennysmithy t1_j9hzebg wrote

There's a saying "once a cheater always a cheater". In this case, I believe Sam, whether with Leo or someone else, was bound to be pulled away because obviously Sam has issues. Cheaters have issues. Those issues aren't an excuse to be a shit person. His lack of empathy, his cowardice to not break up before developing another relationship, that's not on you. Dump his ass and start your healing asap girl. Get with your friends and family if they're near you, whoever your support system is, now is the time to lean on them

Drkurland t1_j9hoqpk wrote

Definitely don't blame yourself, if he's cheating behind your back it would have happened or could have already happened. You can't do anything about it. But you should have the conversation, learn from this and hopefully grow as a person.

klowder42 t1_j9hdh3b wrote

you are blaming yourself when you should not.

No-Mechanic-3048 t1_j9iodi6 wrote

One step at a time! Get tested. Figure out your finances. Create a plan then leave.

n2oc10h12c8h10n402 t1_j9h5wup wrote

OP, it definitely happened before with someone else.

Haven1820 t1_j9heaf7 wrote

I get trying to make OP feel better about leaving him, but this just isn't true. It may have happened before or it may not, but it's impossible for us to say. We know next to nothing about him.

All that matters here is that he is the type of person who would cheat on his partner, and it's better to learn that now than later.

Birdbraned t1_j9hwrm0 wrote

Like.... maybe whatever he fought with his friend group over?

n2oc10h12c8h10n402 t1_j9hywul wrote

I'm curious about how he ended up cutting ties with an entire group of friends.

baby_fart t1_j9ilz5z wrote

He was fucking everyone in the group of friends. Guy just couldn't put his dick away.

_druids t1_j9ilc16 wrote

It’s not your fault. You weren’t working with all the information, you were just doing a very kind thing for your SO. I imagine this outcome didn’t cross your mind when you thought about what would happen.

You’re right about these things being hard to talk about. You need to pull it off like a bandaid, or it’s going to fester inside of you until you burst from the emotional stress.

“Sam, I know about you and Leo. This is how it makes me feel..”

How you found out really isn’t relevant, you can tell him, and if you feel the need to defend “I was so shocked I needed time to process it before I could talk to you”

All I meant to say was it isn’t your fault, apologies for getting tangential.

4_Legged_Duck t1_j9hsxoy wrote

You may feel the weight of responsibility but your bf decided to do this. HE made a choice, and he was always capable of making this choice and certainly may make it some time. You do not deserve to kick yourself over this. It's not your fault.

pocketline t1_j9iqn7o wrote

Dating is about the other person revealing if they are going to be committed to you or not.

This isn’t about anything you did/didn’t do. This was about his choice to not be committed to you.

Better you see that now, Vs later.

sexytimeforwife t1_j9ircah wrote

No. You didn't cause this to happen. If your relationship was secure, you wouldn't be afraid to introduce your partner to the hottest person in the world. The fact that you will be worried going forward, is a sign that your relationship is toxic.

I wish someone had told me that 15 years ago, when I decided to stay with the cheater. Even if they never actually cheat again, the root issues that caused that person to cheat in the first place, have caused me endless grief.

I understand now that cheating on a partner is a sign of having toxic beliefs about your self-worth, self-respect and/or shame. These can be undone I would say for 100% of people, however it can take years of effort and suffering in the interim, unless you happen to be able to fast-track with a good psychologist.

Ackilles t1_j9ihslx wrote

All that changed was that he did it now rather than later

glassholeshitfuck t1_j9i7z0q wrote

Unfortunately he was unfaithful and that's real big, but it sounds like he has some things to figure out. May as well bring it up once you've had a moment, he's either gay or bi (unless he already told you) and he was unfaithful. he's probably not being honest about it with himself and now he's hurt you and damaged or destroyed yalls relationship as a result.

Catsmak1963 t1_j9ih51v wrote

He still cheated, I think you should tell him you know asap and take it from there.

Soupsocks97 t1_j9iqp23 wrote

Often times when terrible things happen we want to blame ourselves because we want to think that we have control over the situation in some way. If it was our fault, then that means we can make sure it doesn’t happen again.

In reality though, many things are out of our control.

It won’t make things hurt less, but I hope hearing this can help you make some sense of these feelings. I’m so sorry. We are here for you though, to listen and to talk if you need it.

alexuprise t1_j9ihike wrote

It's not you or that guy, it's the cheater's mindset that makes such things happening. Be kind to yourself!

AnEpicTaleOfNope t1_j9iyrr2 wrote

This situation didn't change anything about your character or his, it just illuminated what was already there. That he is a cheater, and that you are a really caring generous person. Cheaters cheat, so even if you hadn't discovered it this time he'd be cheating anyway. Not your fuck up. Everything you did was with a warm and generous heart, and I'm so sorry your partner is such a giant jerk and disappointment, you deserve much better.

KingNyx t1_j9j3eux wrote

Even if you didn't, it would've been someone else

lokregarlogull t1_j9j6pxl wrote

You never know how the dice turn out. Good chance you might found out a similar thing years later after a marriage, or with children in the mix, at that point things become a lot more complicated.

timeemac t1_j9lhgo0 wrote

I know your feeling may impact your ability to see things rationally for a while, but I'd like to present a counter-point for you to consider when you're ready. You think it's your fault for providing him the opportunity to cheat. Have you considered that maybe he was always a cheater and that has nothing to do with you? There are plenty of people in committed relationships that have plenty of opportunity to cheat, but do not because they do not want to. The opportunity to cheat isn't the only variable in this equation.

DaftHacker t1_j9lo0sm wrote

Op you did nothing wrong at all, you should actually be cherished for doing such things for him. Just leave him, sex with an old friend is obviously more important that your feelings and self worth.

oldar4 t1_j9iin0q wrote

If he didn't do it now its very possible he would've another time or already has. Dont blame yourself.

throwawaySnoo57443 t1_j9iwa13 wrote

It’s not your fault at all. And chances are you bf has cheated before.

You deserve better than him. Find someone who’ll treat you right.

But whatever you do don’t marry this guy. Never, ever marry someone who cheats on you.

markwell9 t1_j9jc68z wrote

You may have brought the man to him. But he had the character of a cheater before that. You just found out now. Cut your losses and move on to someone who will be loyal to you.

jm7489 t1_j9jmv2v wrote

Yeah there's a lot going in here in terms of his closet bisexuality and motivations.

Doesn't change that he cheated and that being unfaithful should always end a relationship

TheOneAndOnlyKirke t1_j9js5dx wrote

This instance would not have happened but would have ultimately occurred in the future.

Kraggen t1_j9krl3j wrote

Translating your story a bit it reads as “I gave my boyfriend an opportunity to cheat on me and he took it”. That’s his failure morally and a peek into the hidden bit of himself he keeps from you, like we all have. It’s an ugly thing, but you can’t unknow it about him and you can’t trust him since you know. Do the right thing for yourself OP.

tilalk t1_j9iszia wrote

If it wasn't this man it would have been another

[deleted] t1_j9ho7y9 wrote

If your boyfriend enjoys having sex with men there iis a 0% chance this wouldn't have happened whether now or later on down the road when it would have been 1000x harder to leave. Bi-sexual and gay men don't just suddenly stop wanting to have sex with men because they get married to a woman and try to pretend they aren't what they are. It usually gets worse.

It has nothing to do with you or your self-worth. I'm guessing your soon to be ex-bf being ex-military caused him to keep his sexual identity hidden and he just got used to it. But only a horrible person would do that while stringing along someone they are supposed to love.

−30

Friendlyfire2996 t1_j9hzwtb wrote

I. Don’t. Cheat. I’m a Bisexual man married to the same woman for almost fifty years. The whole cheating thing is a vicious, ignorant, phobic stereotype. Bisexual people are no more likely to cheat than anyone else.

[deleted] t1_j9i71fg wrote

How does that change that this person was literally cheating on her lol what the fuck are you talking about? And when did I say that bisexual men are more likely to cheat than straight men?

Figure your shit out dude. This person obviously has issues and it seems like you do too if you're getting this defensive about it.

−30

JadeLogan123 t1_j9iwcil wrote

You very heavily implied that bisexual men are more likely to cheat then straight men.

Nailbomb85 t1_j9hp5kl wrote

'Want' to have sex is a useless baseline to even mention. It's his actions that matter.

[deleted] t1_j9hpckk wrote

Actions aren't going to change a biological inclination towards wanting to have sex with men lol what?

So your solution is for him to just stay closeted and not have sex with men even if he is gay or bi-sexual? As long as he doesn't commit to action everything is fine?

Such a weird take. He's obviously not mentally or emotionally adjusted to his reality.

−18

Nailbomb85 t1_j9hqbl9 wrote

Wow, you're really lacking in the critical thinking department, eh?

​

He can 'want' to have sex with men all he wants, but he's in a relationship. Actually doing it though? That's cheating. That's not ok, period.

ArtemisWYK t1_j9ih5bu wrote

That's like saying straight men will always cheat with women. Or straight women will always cheat with men. Your comments are not only disgusting, but so harmful to bisexual people (and very false.)

Do better.

[deleted] t1_j9j2rai wrote

[deleted]

−8

ArtemisWYK t1_j9jkcfa wrote

Well when you dirty edit your posts it looks different. Delete this you coward

rhymes_with_snoop t1_j9imof5 wrote

If he only wanted to have sex with women, he still wouldn't be okay to have sex with women other than the woman he was with. Being bisexual just doubles (minus one) the people he's not allowed to have sex with and still be monogamous. It's not being closeted to be bi-sexual and monogamous. What are you even thinking?

Birdbraned t1_j9hx1he wrote

Being bi or gay is not a pass to cheat if you're in a monogamous relationship, no matter how far in or out of the closet they are

[deleted] t1_j9i7gv2 wrote

Okay? Great point I guess? How does that change that this bisexual man was having sex with men behind his partners back?

When did I say being bi or gay gave you a pass to cheat? All of you clowns getting so upset over the slightest things, it must get so tiring living your life.

−18

Northstar1989 t1_j9igiso wrote

>My first thought would be don't stay with a cheater.

Indeed.

>One thing you need for sure is to get tested. Being cheated on always brings the risk of STDs.

This is always good advice- but, having seen many posts exactly like this before, but not involving another man, I will say this: it's telling that far more people jump to STI's in this case.

Yes, gay sex is definitely more risky than straight sex if unprotected.

But homosexual and bisexual men AREN'T inherently any more promiscuous than their straight counterparts, despite a lot of biased claims to the contrary (I will also acknowledge: those fully in "gay culture" in the 70's were more promiscuous, but HIV but an end to that...)

The fact that everyone immediately jumps to STI's with a bisexual cheater, while they wouldn't with a straight cheater, does say something about internalized bias: even if STI testing is always a good idea regardless.

−23

n2oc10h12c8h10n402 t1_j9ihqp5 wrote

>!This is always good advice- but, having seen many posts exactly like this before, but not involving another man, I will say this: it's telling that far more people jump to STI's in this case.

My NUMBER ONE ADVICE is to go get tested when cheating is the issue.

>!But homosexual and bisexual men AREN'T inherently any more promiscuous than their straight counterparts.

when did i mention those things on my comment??? Please point it out.

>!The fact that everyone immediately jumps to STI's with a bisexual cheater, while they wouldn't with a straight cheater, does say something about internalized bias: even if STI testing is always a good idea regardless.

Also when did i mention those things on my comment??? Please point it out.

Cheating is cheating and it doesn't matter who one got cheated on with, a man or a woman. Whoever got cheated on SHOULD GET TESTED.

Northstar1989 t1_j9iiuw4 wrote

>My NUMBER ONE ADVICE is go get tested when cheating is the issue.

It's always good advice.

>when did i mention those things on my comment??? Please point it out.

You didn't explicitly mention it.

I'm speaking to some of the subconscious assumptions people hold, that causes them to immediately jump to getting tested in this situation.

>Whoever got cheated on SHOULD GET TESTED.

I agree. Fully.

But the fact a much, much higher percentage of comments mention this with a bisexual cheater hints at internalized biases that Bisexuals are "dirty" and "unclean."

I should know- I hold some of these biases myself, due to religious teachings as a child (and an abusive, homophobic father), and am Bisexual. Obviously, this contradiction is a problem for my self-image: but I'm aware of the problem.

Most people hold biases like this, but aren't consciously aware of them.

−15

n2oc10h12c8h10n402 t1_j9ijgjr wrote

>!Most people hold biases like this, but aren't consciously aware of them.

I'm not one of these people. And just because I suggested getting tested you shouldn't assume I am one.

Northstar1989 t1_j9iknjd wrote

>I'm not one of these people.

Since these biases are usually subconscious (the same way people often hold subconscious biases against black people- including black Police Officers), how do you know that?

−20

rhymes_with_snoop t1_j9in0b8 wrote

I have never seen a post about someone cheating where one of the top comments didn't involve getting tested for STIs (oof, double negative, mean to say it is always one of the top comments). Because it's always good advice.

Northstar1989 t1_j9inora wrote

>have never seen a post about someone cheating where one of the top comments didn't involve getting tested for STIs

True.

But look at all the lower-level comments.

The proportion is different here.