Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Devittraisedto2 t1_j5su57o wrote

You do know you were supposed to cover the bread with aluminium foil right

slider728 t1_j5svanj wrote

Huh…never thought of foil. We used to make them with an iron by putting the sandwich in a brown paper bag and then putting the iron in it. Didn’t work too bad.

Devittraisedto2 t1_j5swuh2 wrote

Tbh I think any material that's safe for food and can handle heat can be used to make ironed toast

Granted, ideally you'd want to use a toaster, but in the event where a toaster and pan is not readily available to you(e.g. in a hotel) and you're really craving some grilled cheese, then yeah a brown paper bag or aluminium foil will grant you the delectable toasty gooey cheese sandwich we all crave for.

AMDKilla t1_j5tmc0l wrote

I work in a hotel, I'll be asking you to leave if I find you using a clothes iron inappropriately. Fire is the number one risk in a hotel

PandaNoTrash t1_j5ulzhb wrote

I have stayed in many hotels and never have I seen a warning to not make grilled cheese sandwiches with the included iron and ironing board.

AMDKilla t1_j5uvc3a wrote

You also dont see warning labels in your car not to run the engine in an enclosed space due to exhaust fumes, or a label on your toaster warnign you not to take a bath with it. Most hotels aren't explicit in every detail of what is against their fire prevention rules unless asked as otherwise there would be signs on everything, that would still be ignored (people wondering why their croissant caught fire when they ignore the signs to not put them in the toaster). Most hotels do not allow guests to use candles or incense in the rooms, and all of them that have electric heaters all ban putting clothes on them due to the fire risk.

PandaNoTrash t1_j5veph2 wrote

I was just having a bit of fun with the warning label meme. I promise not to accidently burn down any hotels!

placidv99 t1_j5sugtz wrote

I feel the need to drop a /s here just in case

THE_ORANGE_TRAITOR t1_j5svnt8 wrote

No matter what you're cooking, if the outside is getting done faster than the inside, you turn the heat down, not up.

[deleted] t1_j5svye6 wrote

You put in more effort setting up the iron than you would just using the right thing, and that’s before you went the wrong way on the heat control when it was obviously too hot already.

Titariia t1_j5sxcar wrote

On one hand you have to go get the iron board and the iron, make your sandwich, iron your sandwich and put the iron borad and iron away.

On the other hand you have to make your sandwich, put the sandwich in the oven, push some buttons, wait and take your sandwich out of the oven.

I wonder what's more effort for a lazy person.

[deleted] t1_j5sxyzh wrote

Oven should be on before reaching for the bread, nice to feel different cushion on cheeks for bit on the kitchen chair, it’s just walk to one spot for a few minutes and walk back to the other spot afterwards featuring hot sandwich goodness. Toasties are the answer to every single question.

Titariia t1_j5sy4qp wrote

Wellp, now I'm off to look at new sandwich makers xD

[deleted] t1_j5sybir wrote

Hope you find an awesome one, my vote is for the flat press type.

Texas_Indian t1_j5uouxj wrote

Oven takes too long to preheat, that’s why air fryers are the way, but I would take the iron out of the 2 choices you laid out

Titariia t1_j5vppit wrote

If you're starving, yes, but I would argument that you can do other stuff like scrolling Reddit while the sandwich is in the oven. And if it's just plain old toast with something on it it won't take too long either and you could fit at least 9 toasts in the oven at once whilse you have to do them one by one with the iron... maybe two if the iron is big enough.

[deleted] t1_j5wkd9l wrote

Gas oven, electric ovens belong in landfill

PaladinCloudring t1_j5surl6 wrote

I don't want to come across as mean or rude, but I have two questions.

1:) Are your parents related?
2:) Are you an alcoholic?

Tamajyn t1_j5stqcw wrote

Do it in the toaster next time works a treat

/s

graypod t1_j5t3l47 wrote

So taking out an iron and ironing board is less of a hassle than toasting two pieces of bread in a toaster or in a pan to make a grilled cheese sandwich to you?

Myboigo t1_j5tox5g wrote

That’s what I was trying to figure out

kswiorek t1_j5t1pqr wrote

I have no idea what your american bread is made of, but I cannot imagine normal bread catching on fire, sure it will char and blacken, but it simply smokes and does not ignite.

TerribleRun9476 t1_j5t1mwi wrote

you should actually just stick to using your brain and whatever capacity of common sense it holds. also, the thing with dishes is once it's over, it's over, you're done with it. The price to pay for your laziness is ALWAYS more than the satisfaction you get from not doing what you should do.

GuyanaFlavorAid t1_j5t3c4p wrote

What in the ham-fried dumbshit playbook is this. Jesus Christ on a hoverboard you have a stove. You use one small pan, eat the sandwich while the pan cools, then take like thirty seconds to wash it, wipe it dry and put it away. It isn't like you're preparing a five course meal.

sharksnut t1_j5t5it3 wrote

That only works in cartoons

CapoOn2nd t1_j5taw3f wrote

What exactly were you expecting? You already said the bread was getting too dark on medium setting, what did you expect to happen when you turned the bloody thing to high??? Not sure what’s wrong with using the good old fashioned grill setting on an oven to grill your cheese toaster, it’s even less effort than having to set an ironing board up and holding the iton

chubacca909 t1_j5tcgpx wrote

Are you sure you were being creative? Or was your goal weaponized incompetence? I can see you saying, "I can't cook! The last time I cooked, I started a fire!"

idle_monkeyman t1_j5tmsms wrote

My roommate in the Marines did a similar stunt in our barracks back in the day. Made a similar mess. But he was trying to cook scrapple, so the mess was also super smelly.

He was also an idiot, and there is a good chance you'll out grow it.

gunfart t1_j5tut5a wrote

If you wonder why there is a label on something that says not to do something obviously stupid? This is the reason.

Ocean_Spice t1_j5uh0de wrote

At least you didn’t have to clean any dishes, technically it worked for that??

PandaNoTrash t1_j5um72p wrote

Be sure to replace your fire extinguisher quickly, I have a feeling you might need it again.

Ok-Position1698 t1_j5vkuk1 wrote

Did you see Benny and Joon and think it was so old no one would catch that, because I know you can't possibly think you were being "creative in the kitchen".

_Reyne OP t1_j5vokhx wrote

I spent a lot of time today debating whether chatGPT was really good, or people were really this stupid. You've proved the latter by completely ignoring my edit and just posting this comment. Congrats!

mashed-_-potato t1_j5vwqez wrote

You can use a waffle iron as a panini press