Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

VTGrown t1_j9uhs3v wrote

Someone should have loaned that Tesla driver an electric can so they could get a few gallons at the nearest electric station and bring it back to their car. Maybe some tire chains too.

−15

RZRPRINCESS t1_j9ukscy wrote

I want to know how they got that thing out of there?! I heard they are impossible to move when dead.

Sea-Election-9168 t1_j9unusa wrote

Why oh why not throw a $100 gas generator in the trunk for an emergency???

Twombls t1_j9unxyi wrote

Ct plates. Checks out

K9Marz919 t1_j9uor6q wrote

I know which facebook group this came from

Hanginon t1_j9upuvx wrote

How about real snow tires? Driving skills and good decision making?

Can you carry them too and add them on when needed?

I see plenty of low ground clearance + summer tires vehicles stuck on Vermont back roads every year. Wait until mud season and you've got a 50/50 chance of seeing one high centered in the middle of any -mud- dirt road.

OkayKoke t1_j9us49k wrote

Yeah but there is no gas station on this road. The closest ones are on 7a or 100.

I’ve driven this road countless times. The issue here probably isn’t a dead battery. It’s that this western section is an unmaintained road in the winter. The driver probably got stuck and/or gave up when they realized the road wouldn’t be plowed if they kept going.

KawasakiBinja t1_j9utmrp wrote

Oh hey I grew up on that road...my old house is still there.

TheQueenCars t1_j9uu6do wrote

Had to do a 3 hour drive down to southern VT over the summer to get a tractor. Beautiful weather but there was an accident on the interstate that had traffic at a stand still for miles. From that point up until we made it to our destination it was just constant dead Teslas on the side of the road.

VT isn't really the state for electric vehicles unless you can stay in the cities such as Essex/Burlington imo.

−9

Hanginon t1_j9uuvrm wrote

Remember those kids in school who paid no attention in basic science class? IE. Newtons' laws, etc.

"ThIs Is StUpId. I'm nEvEr GoInG tO UsE ThIs!"

They were right, they still don't. ¯\_( ͡❛ ͜ʖ ͡❛)_/¯

Sea-Election-9168 t1_j9uvn6a wrote

Why the downvotes? I want to buy an electric, and am trying to figure out how to address the situations that people are proposing as problematic. Why not just keep a small generator in the car? They are cheap and can run for hours on half a gallon of gas.

thatsnotmybike t1_j9uw3h8 wrote

Bullshit, quit flinging fud. EVs don't just die when they aren't moving, like an ICE would run out of gas. _Maybe_ if they had the AC cranked and were already running on electron fumes. The motors don't 'idle', they stop drawing power if the vehicle is at a standstill. They are better at this than a gas car.

Fudthebiker t1_j9uwl92 wrote

Image + top comments the essence of this sub! 💉💉💉

−1

Otto-Korrect t1_j9uzc0w wrote

If your question is serious, i can put you at ease. I've had mine since 2018 and have never run out of power. You have 'range anxiety' for the first week or two, then you just get to know what you can and can not do with it. Just like knowing you'll find gas stations on the way in a gas car.

The only thing I can't do it hop in the car for a 500 mile road trip without at least looking at the map to see where the on route charging stations are.

Kvltadelic t1_j9uzfqs wrote

I don’t know why anyone would do that. Kellystan gets progressively worse as you push farther and farther up, plenty of opportunity to see it isn’t going to end well.

Sea-Election-9168 t1_j9v03q2 wrote

My question was serious. I get your point, but I’m a “belt and suspenders” kind of guy. Do you see a real problem with keeping a small generator in the car? They make them with spill-proof/leak-proof tanks, and the weight is less than many other items I keep in my car already.

Otto-Korrect t1_j9v0t2f wrote

Technically, it would work. But...

to charge at a decent speed, you'd need a 50 amp 240 output, so not any tiny genrator. That will charge at about 30MPH.

If your generator only puts out 15-20 amps of 120v, you are looking at a charge rate of only 6mph. If you are stranded, yes better than nothing. Charge for a few hours and you may have what it takes to get to a charging station. But I wouldn't want to count on it often.

It sounds like something like the Bolt may fit your needs better. It has a gas engine that kicks in to charge the battery and/or run the car when the battery gets low. The batter is smaller, so only lasts for 25 miles or so I think, so for some people that is all they need for 'around town' driving.

whiskey_overboard t1_j9v4i1y wrote

Situation in pic should only happen in the rarest of cases.

The math doesn’t work out for a generator in most practical cases: 2200W Honda EU2200 has a 15a/120V connection. That’ll net ~1kW (4.5 mi) per hour. Much less if it’s cold as you also need to bleed power to keep the battery warm enough to charge.

Portable generator has zero practical use case for 99.99% of people’s daily usage. In an emergency or far-off grid situation? Maybe? But probably worth buying another few buckets of 5.56 for the prepper cave, lol.

If you’re driving enough that you need to recharge frequently, you’ll likely already have your own charger or know where a few extras or backups are if needed.

If you use the navigation, the car will yell at you about range or redirect you to charge if you won’t make it. If you’re anxious, charge early.

After 8mos and a cross-country road trip, I have no range anxiety. Anxiety about wall charging in sub-zero temps? Sure.

I agree: plates check out.

cpujockey t1_j9v675n wrote

nah the rules changed. if you can stomach a few winters - you've earned your spot.

I don't call the refugee community flat landers - they are welcome with open arms. They are good folk and always have my support.

irish-riviera t1_j9v69s5 wrote

tesla and conn plates. Get the F outta heeeyaaah

kn4v3VT t1_j9vbj2g wrote

Also most generators do not put out anything close to utility grade power quality- this can wreak havoc on the cars internal AC to DC inverters. If you read the manual of any EV (which I highly recommend since it’s essentially a whole new technology that cannot be compared to internal combustion) they’ll tell you never to do that. I cringe (as someone with some electrical engineering chops) when I see folks on youtube do that shit to their $60k brand new EVs - which is why I’ll never buy a used one

Shep_Book t1_j9vbkso wrote

Honestly, you’d need a pretty big generator. In cold weather, you need at least a 2-3kw of power to warm the battery in cold conditions. Then, you’d be left with whatever extra headroom you have from the generator to charge. So, a pretty big 4-5kw generator might get you 1-2kw of charge per hour.

A Model Y has a 72kwh battery, so you’d probably get about 2-3% an hour. (3-6 miles of charge per hour)

When doing road trips, superchargers are typically every 50-100 miles, sometimes a bit more. Route planning in the car does a pretty good job.

I’ve only ever had one leg of a trip feel sketchy. It was when I picked up a friend from an Air Force base out in the middle of nowhere Texas. 1.5 hours out and back to the nearest supercharger. Took about 85-90% of my charge.

cpujockey t1_j9vc8yv wrote

there's other states they can flock to. I am certain the climate here in vt is not what they are used to anyways.. plus floridians have enough property bought up here in VT to start a revolution. good riddance.

kn4v3VT t1_j9vdqd7 wrote

It’s really not worth it because these cars hold huge amounts of electricity and even the best gas generators are hugely inefficient at converting the stored chemical-energy in gasoline to kilowatts- most of the energy is converted to heat and wasted. If this car is legitimately out of charge it was 💯driver stupidity and should be treated the same as someone who purposely drives around with their gas light on and then acts surprised when they’re stranded. This situation is super easy to avoid in a Tesla - if this was a Nissan leaf I say similar thing but have a bit more empathy for the car owner (they’d still be considered stupid in my mind but for other reasons). So this is either staged or some rich stupid asshole trying to get attention.

Teslas attract a ton of negative attention because they legitimately pose a threat to Gas cars and make a ton of financial sense from a total cost of ownership perspective. They’re super nice cars and have a great charging network that makes them super practical if you can afford one. You dont sacrifice anything really with a Tesla. These days especially Elon Lightning’s that attention away for being a dipshit, but lots of people still buy them and do stupid shit all the time because they can get attention if they do something stupid in a Tesla. All the gas-bros and petromasculine folks love to feed that attention. this thread is a prime example.

kn4v3VT t1_j9vfwb5 wrote

there are Tons of them in the works. and the more demand the market sees for them the more they'll respond, although it might be a while before the pricing starts to fall. that being said, even the Rivian R1T it out and its pricing is similar to premium pickup (74,800) - my buddy has a mid sized GMC that cost more than that.

For any non-tesla vehicle, because our government is in the pocket of Oil, they're not worth it because you cant reliably road trip with them. If we had a common charging standard that was federally enforced, i'd say we're on track - but charging is a hot mess around the country for everything that not tesla

OkayKoke t1_j9vgu3q wrote

Not on this road. The closest ones are on 7a and 100, right near the gas stations.

We don’t know if this Tesla was stopped because of battery issues. It looks like it’s stopped because it’s a sedan without snow tires driving on an unplowed road. It got stuck because it’s owner was an idiot and driving it in conditions unsuitable for its tires and ground clearance.

PBJIsGood1 t1_j9vn5nf wrote

Vermont has a decent amount of charging stations for its size and pop.

Elpundit t1_j9vswk3 wrote

I moved here from California when I was 25, the ultimate flatlander according to the local union boys. My 60 yr old work partner was convinced I89 ruined everything. I wore the moniker with pride, rode my CA plate motorcycle into Dec. 35 years later I’m assimilated but still a flatlander.

Puretest t1_j9vu5hr wrote

I’m on Stratton Fire and we have a generator, but please don’t call us.

proscriptus t1_j9vw9cg wrote

Fun Fact about Kelley Stand: it's a class two town road (Sunderland) all the way to Stratton, and while it's not maintained in the winter, it is always open. The Forest Service regularly tries to hand out tickets there, but you can tell them to go fuck themselves if they do.

tentativetheory t1_j9vyu9s wrote

The Bolt is a great car, but it’s fully electric with no range extender. The older Volt had the generator. Those are great too but they’ve been discontinued for some years now. There’s quite a few plug in hybrids on the market currently that offer similar functionality.

Allemaengel t1_j9w8i3e wrote

Oh geez.

This happens here in northern PA too, especially on some unplowed state forest roads around the PA Grand Canyon when New Jersey or New York drivers try to make it work despite seeing only snow machines going in, lol.

nachodog t1_j9wbgi2 wrote

Put the car in neutral, turn it around and it'll recharge on the way down. Maybe generate enough to hook up a regular outlet downhill most Telsas have an adapter. I've never had this issue but I'm not from CT either, but going downhill will generate power.

NonDeterministiK t1_j9wey5g wrote

Where on Kelly Stand? Going up to parking area near Grout Pond from Stratton town is plowed as some folks go xc skiing around the pond. I'm guessing this gent tried to go further?

casewood123 t1_j9wisi5 wrote

He’s from Connecticut. GPS probably led him there.

trutknoxs t1_j9wk4cy wrote

Maybe I’m a little out to lunch here but is OP from Connecticut or are we laughing at the person from Connecticut??

WoodyMD t1_j9xldcu wrote

Summer tire club is always accepting new members

nolyfe27 t1_j9y9bcu wrote

Anybody else absolutely hate these commercials on Spotify, Pandora etc about incentives to get an electric car in VT? Guy on the commercials is talking all 1880s cracker jack teleprompter operator. Fuck those commercials. Yea

rainmandapanda t1_j9yh9xf wrote

I learned the hard way not to trust GPS in Vermont. Your town roads are no effing joke. One minute you're driving along, the next minute you're scaling a dirt road up a mountain. Thanks, Google Maps. 🙄

casewood123 t1_j9yxd2k wrote

I can confirm. My work takes me to some out of the places, and I’ve been on roads that turn to shit in a matter of seconds. And of course no where to turn around. Then you have to back out of there. That’s when you get in yourself in trouble.

TheQueenCars t1_j9yxf92 wrote

Realistically in VT as it is it cannot work. We don't have enough stations and it leaves people stranded with a dead car. I never said gas is better just its not realistic with the lack of charging stations and long drives here. This is why theres so many dead EVs all over, didnt realize this was such a triggering statement

Curious_Buffalo_1206 t1_ja38fa0 wrote

Because it’s a really bad and impractical idea, honestly. Most gas generators don’t produce “clean” enough electricity to charge a car, unless it’s an expensive inverter. Forgive the oversimplification, I forget the proper electrical engineering terminology, but a regular gas generator will fry sensitive electronics. EV chargers will refuse to pull current from such a power source.

Gas generators run for hours on half a gallon of gas because you’re usually running a fridge, a furnace blower, and some lights off it. Average load of 100W or so? The Model X has a 100kWh battery.

There’s no free lunch here. A Tesla is only going to get 20 mpg or so when you account for the inherent inefficiencies to this process. You’re also carrying a lot of weight and volume for something that isn’t going to happen unless you’re an idiot. I don’t carry around a jerry can of gas in the winter. I just don’t go below half a tank. Same principle applies here.

The reverse process, where you use your car battery in a power outage as energy storage, is much more sensible.

If you insist on this, they have PHEVs that basically have a built in gas generator. And they’re usually cheaper, as they can get away with using a much smaller battery. Most driving is done for shorter trips, after all.

TLDR: the math doesn’t check out.