Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Dr_Moonglow t1_ivszrpt wrote

You are now a steward of our state. It’s beautiful because we keep it that way, which takes work. Roll up your sleeves, participate on green up day and enjoy what VT has to offer.

[deleted] t1_ivtn28y wrote

[deleted]

Hell_Camino t1_ivtnmyx wrote

The first Saturday in May is Green Up Day. Folks collect the litter that strewn along roadsides, in parks, on public lands, etc. There is usually an organizer in each community who can provide you with green trash bags. With those bags, you can fill the bag and leave it along the side of the road. Someone will come along later to collect those green bags. Or you can just use your own bags and haul it away yourself. Regardless, it’s a great community event that tidies up the state ahead of summer.

https://greenupvermont.org/

ThalassaLuna OP t1_ivty5u4 wrote

This sounds awesome! I can't wait to pitch in! 😁

MYrobouros t1_ivuy6d6 wrote

Green up day is indicative of the very best parts of Vermont. It's truly a civic gem, and an excellent community institution.

sugarplummed t1_ivul4no wrote

We were there during Green up day this year. Expected to see green bags everywhere. I think we saw 2 maybe. We also did not see any garbage though so, maybe that's why!

Unique-Public-8594 t1_ivrn8c3 wrote

Welcome. Hope people have been kind and welcoming.

If you like it in stick season, just wait.

ThalassaLuna OP t1_ivrnt2v wrote

Thank you! Everyone I've met so far has been so incredibly nice and helpful. I can't wait to see more of this beautiful state! ❀️

bond___vagabond t1_ivt70cw wrote

We moved here a few years ago for my wife's asthma (cleanest air in the USA) never would have guessed I'd end up here, but it fits us really well. I grew up in Oregon, so mud wasn't a shock, and the snow and sun in the winter is easier to do than warmer, but rainy and grey. Wife has more cold tolerance than I do, if we didn't work from home, and had to move snow before work, that would be rough, but we don't. Treat yourself (and others, for their safety, hah) to some winter tires. Figure out an outside winter activity you like, doesn't have to be downhill skiing. Have a way to heat your space too hot, it will help you get outside more if you know you can warm up real good after. I just need to build myself a heated shop, for wrenching in the winter and I'll be as happy as a pig in slop, hah.

sugarplummed t1_ivum07q wrote

We are prepping to move to Vt for health reasons also. We spent 10 days touring VT this past May. Absolutely gorgeous everywhere we went and the leaves weren't quite on the trees yet, still just gorgeous. I'm now obsessed with covered bridges. We visited about 20 or so while there. They're like pokemon for me now, gotta catch em all. Apparently there's about 100 in the state so #goals, hah

varadins t1_ivrq5sv wrote

Moved here in September and everyone has been fantastic!

paperm3rmaid t1_ivvkx1c wrote

Welcome! I’m in Washington county as well. Central Vermont is beautiful!

Generic_Commenter-X t1_ivt4eo4 wrote

It's a dangerous thing to do. No matter where I drive in Vermont, I wish I lived there. I don't have a view of the mountains, but I have a brook that runs immediately behind my house with a bridge to my barn. I'm jealous of neighbors with a view, my neighbors with a view are jealous of my bridge and brook.

TripodsInTheWild t1_ivtg3n8 wrote

Everyone loves fall here. But my favorite season is winter. I think it's more beautiful covered in snow than colorful leaves.

JLHuston t1_ivu5s4u wrote

I’m with you. I love fall too, but my favorite time of year is winter. My husband hopes to retire one day and spend winters in a warmer climate. I’ll miss him.

Syncope7 t1_ivrrflz wrote

Do your best to preserve it.

StreetTacoNamdDesire t1_ivrzok6 wrote

Welcome to Windsor county! I love living here too!

Legal-Ad8308 t1_ivuqacy wrote

Welcome! It's beautiful, I love it. Stick season has its own beauty.

jsudarskyvt t1_ivtzg9e wrote

Make sure every time the sun shines between November 1 and March 31st to get it on your skin for five minutes to keep those Vitamin D levels up and to prevent SADness. The hardest adaptation to living here is our winters lack of sunshine. It has sent many newcomers packing after one winter.

ThalassaLuna OP t1_ivu2foj wrote

I lived in Massachusetts for about 5 years at one point so I'm pretty well prepared for the big SAD. But this is still excellent advice!

metaldeathtrap t1_ivryf82 wrote

hi op I am also new here! down in rutland county. welcome!

ThalassaLuna OP t1_ivs1etp wrote

Hi! I'm actually in Rutland myself! Welcome to you as well! 😊

paperm3rmaid t1_ivvl9sh wrote

I grew up in Rutland county. I now live in Washington county but my roots are in Rutland! Welcome!

ametsun t1_ivvmi59 wrote

Rutland county ftw! Born and raised!

Climate_Face t1_ivtoppj wrote

Just wait until there are leaves on the trees

Total-Bag-8973 t1_ivw4rxv wrote

I was in VT for peak foliage this year. It took my breath away.

dcarsonturner t1_ivv3r77 wrote

that’s the white river innit?

ThalassaLuna OP t1_ivv4rp8 wrote

It is! Good eye!

dcarsonturner t1_ivvr0v7 wrote

Yeah grew up by that river, it used to be alot narrower before Tropical storm Irene hit

ThalassaLuna OP t1_ivvuxpu wrote

Oh wow. That's crazy! It seems to be kind of low. Has it always been that way?

dcarsonturner t1_ivw0kj4 wrote

No not at all, before Irene it was pretty deep in some parts, I would guess between 5-6 ft deep, maybe even deeper

demariusk t1_ivu97x2 wrote

I’m in awe every time I visit!

Impressive_Big_9906 t1_ivucqkf wrote

Welcome - I’ve been here in Windsor County (near the White River) for 18 years. Small bit of advice - take some time to get to know the area and your neighbors before jumping in with your own opinions. It takes awhile to acclimate. That being said, I never want to live anywhere else.

dumbbitchvibes t1_ivv0oq3 wrote

Would you have any advice or words of wisdom to someone that’s thinking of moving to Vermont (from the Midwest)?

ThalassaLuna OP t1_ivv1mrm wrote

I say go for it! I've lived in a ton of places within the US, pretty much every part of the country. But I'm finding that Vermont has this unique, ineffable quality that I haven't found anywhere else. If I could sum it up in one word, I would say it is peaceful here. And for someone like me, that is huge. I needed to slow down and just enjoy the small moments in life. I really feel like Vermont is conducive to that so far. 😊

Total-Bag-8973 t1_ivw53id wrote

When I travel to VT from my home in MA, I get a totally different vibe as soon as I hit that state line. It's like taking a 78 RPM record and playing it at 16 2/3 BACKWARDS!

dumbbitchvibes t1_ivw8bx9 wrote

It’s a gorgeous state so I’m not surprised it’s pretty peaceful :) thank you so much

Ok-Fun9346 t1_ivvrt9v wrote

As someone from Vermont who moved to Minnesota for a few years (before moving back) I have some advice!

Be prepared for a bit of culture shock. Vermonters can seem much colder and unfriendly compared to the Midwest. It's true that you're not as likely to find people willing to engage in small talk and they'll probably seem a bit blunt. But if you're ever in need, we'll be right there to help. And once you get to know us, you'll have friends for life who will do anything for you. (When I moved it was a real challenge at first when trying to make friends. People would say that they wanted to get together to be polite, but not mean it for example.)

dumbbitchvibes t1_ivw7mg5 wrote

I love this, especially comparing it to β€œMidwest friendliness”. Thank you so much!

Electrical-Bed8577 t1_ivw6vxq wrote

Save and bring extra money for taxes. Exercise in winter. Don't forget to get a last sail of the season in. It's easier to make new friends ahead of a super cold pending winter.

dumbbitchvibes t1_ivw7rxu wrote

In Iowa we have pretty moderate winters here. They can be fine or they can be a little rough (the worst typically comes end of January/beginning of Feb and can last until March). How do the winters fare in VT?

Electrical-Bed8577 t1_ivw9si6 wrote

Sometimes really good. Sometimes really deep. Sometimes kinda bad. Always beautiful. So, touristy in summer, fall and winter. Walk more.

timberwolf0122 t1_ivvpklq wrote

Welcome! I hope you like craft beer, farm to table, winter sports, lovely summers, beautiful nature, friendly folks and seasons affective disorder

ThalassaLuna OP t1_ivvv0uu wrote

Sounds like a dream, tbh! Well, except for the big SAD lol

Total-Bag-8973 t1_ivw0dtd wrote

I can't wait to retire to VT in 5 years and 2 months...but, who's counting?

FutureVermonter t1_ivw1073 wrote

I never lived in a place where I was in awe of the beauty everyday until I moved here. It’s incredible.

ThalassaLuna OP t1_ivw15m4 wrote

That's how I'm currently feeling too. It's wonderful 😊

BothCourage9285 t1_ivw232g wrote

Welcome!

FTR All that reddish brown stuff on the banks is Japanese Knotweed. Invasive but supposedly has potential as a natural treatment for lyme disease

ThalassaLuna OP t1_ivw325s wrote

Oh wow! That's actually really cool! I was actually wondering what it was. Thank you!

[deleted] t1_ivw2jj5 wrote

Vermont's beauty is varied and endless, with always a surprise around the next corner. The landscape and the people are the best America has to offer.

texasBillinvermont t1_ivuqe9j wrote

Wait until summer….. been her 5 years and love it.

ScotsDale213 t1_ivvfcio wrote

Let me extend caledonia counties welcome to you! Hope you like it here!

deadbalconytree t1_ivvq7bz wrote

Welcome. Though I’ve only been here not quite two years myself.

ametsun t1_ivvm3hd wrote

There is literally no foliage. This dude is the literal opposite of a tourist. lol. I'm confused.

Total-Bag-8973 t1_ivw4b6g wrote

One of the things I am most grateful for is my father's love of this awesome state. He passed that love down to me.

When he was single, my father used to travel from our home in Western Massachusetts to Burlington almost every weekend to visit friends.. He would travel via Route 7.

He'd be amazed at how it is now.

Thanks, Dad!

Fun-Midnight1010 t1_ivt2kv1 wrote

Equinox pond?

−1

ThalassaLuna OP t1_ivu6moj wrote

White River, I think? We found a spot to go splash around for a bit when it was 75° the other day. I found wild mushrooms! Absolutely delightful 😁

sound_of_apocalypto t1_ivtnps4 wrote

Welcome. Just don't start using that awful term "stick season". You won't sound like a real Vermonter.

−3

sugarplummed t1_ivuj85i wrote

That's funny advice, only bc when we were there a Vermonter told me one of the seasons was stick season, lol

Electrical-Bed8577 t1_ivw6egp wrote

Wow, warm. OMG. Hip deep Leaf. Stick. Wow cold. Mud. 6 seasons. 2 tire sets.

sound_of_apocalypto t1_ivus9th wrote

Life long Vermonter here and I only heard it for the first time maybe 10 years ago. It seems weird because we have fall, winter, and spring which are all recognizable for their unique features, but then we have this term that to some degree or another could apply to all three. Maybe it just feels a bit too bleak to lump all those seasons together around such a stark image.

Vermonter623 t1_ivt7igj wrote

What the fuck is happening

−8

Twombls t1_ivuc3op wrote

State became trendy. People want to move here. No one wants to build enough housing

Vermonter623 t1_ivuca7s wrote

I can’t wait til people find out why the guy they bought their house from sold it. Dumbasses

−2

Twombls t1_ivudbaq wrote

If its on the river. They will find out on Saturday night lol.

[deleted] t1_ivtz5r7 wrote

[deleted]

−8

ThalassaLuna OP t1_ivu25kl wrote

You think this is ugly and dreary? I think it's absolutely gorgeous! My partner and I are absolutely floored by all the natural wonders here. We feel very fortunate to be here 😊

MYrobouros t1_ivuynif wrote

I like stick season too. It's got its own sublime quality.

vwboyaf1 t1_ivumpgw wrote

I would trade southern Colorado for VT anytime of the year. It's like a post apocalyptic wasteland compared to VT.

Vermonter623 t1_ivtbe75 wrote

Try r/newtovermont. Thats where all the flatlanders that overpaid for their homes ensuring that natives who grew up here can’t afford to buy and stay, go πŸ˜‰

−32

BostonUH t1_ivti2fe wrote

LOL welcome to all of the United States, pal

ThalassaLuna OP t1_ivtkpsb wrote

I wish I could afford to buy! I'll be sure to check it out as soon as I do πŸ˜‰

mycophdstudent t1_ivte41t wrote

My neighbor sold his home for $870K in June. He renovated the basement and updated fixtures and made his porch fancy with a fireplace. He originally paid $480K in 2018. Maybe I can do what he did and sell my house for that price to then go live in a van down by the river.

[deleted] t1_ivtnb40 wrote

[deleted]

Twombls t1_ivucdjr wrote

People that died for the most part. Or landlords who decided to yeet a single mother of 3 out on the curb because short term profit in the bubble