Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Scary-Respect8817 t1_iwvj2um wrote

That sucks. will keep an eye open for it.

were the keys in it?

mandy_peeps OP t1_iww5bex wrote

I’m not sure. I didn’t ask because details like that aren’t important to me. What’s important is helping my friend find his truck!

Rare_Message_7204 t1_iwvjuil wrote

Why does that matter? I feel like we're grasping at straws trying to find reasons to justify the issues around here lately.

−22

bonanzapineapple t1_iwvl2rq wrote

Because sooner or later people need to realize that leaving your keys in the vehicle is a bad idea. Doesn't mean the theft is justified, but... Come on, don't make it too easy for the theifs

friedmpa t1_iwvn7ve wrote

You mean unlocked+keys in center console is not the safest thing ever? Dang it

doctorchivago t1_iwvyx9w wrote

This was the wildest thing I've seen since moving to Vermont, I know sooo many people here who leave their front doors open, or their cars unlocked with the fucking keys in the center console. Like, I don't care how safe this state is on paper, no way I'm leaving my shit unlocked sorry.

miss_antlers t1_iwyavrh wrote

I don’t know why you got downvoted, you’re right. I’ve lived here all my life and I still lock up my shit. It does not justify thieving at all, I’ve had my shit stolen by roommates letting untrustworthy friends of theirs hang out at my apartment before and no matter the circumstances, it’s never okay. But…yeah, I’m still gonna be on the cautious side and always lock up.

Smacpats111111 t1_ix0y5yl wrote

You think that’s bad? People do it in my area in New Jersey. Yeah, their cars disappear pretty quickly.

Scary-Respect8817 t1_iwvok1n wrote

Stealing a truck with keys in it is a lot easier than when not.

I am not justifying anything about the thief. I am not victim shaming either, mistakes happen and they should not result in a stolen truck.

The reason I ask is because people may want to know if they need to be concerned about their vehicles being stolen even if keys are not in it.

Rare_Message_7204 t1_iwvtjme wrote

Im baffled by the downvotes... This sub has become insane...How dare someone in Vermont be comfortable enough to leave their belongings unlocked, or leave keys around... We have lowered our standards just by asking questions like that. Sad really.

−27

Quiet_Satisfaction64 t1_iww2asx wrote

The world does not conform to your opinion on how things should be. I’ve lived in VT my whole life, I’m still baffled people leave their cars and doors to their house unlocked. Even on 12 acres of private land I always locked up my stuff. Privacy for you is privacy for thieves as well when you’re not around.

Rare_Message_7204 t1_iww63rf wrote

With that attitude nothing will improve around here.

−17

Quiet_Satisfaction64 t1_iww6zee wrote

Ah yes, my attitude is the issue. Certainly not people who prop themselves on wishful thinking. Enjoy your delusion, friend.

Rare_Message_7204 t1_iwwgwyt wrote

The delusion is asking if the owner left their keys in the vehicle like that matters. No talk about why people are jacking cars in the "safest state in the country"... I think your confusing my delusion with your inability to take your blinders off and see a different view.

−5

DaddyBobMN t1_iwwqfkr wrote

The safest state in a not very safe country isn't saying that much. Relative to much of the modern world even Vermont is a pretty risky place to live.

Rare_Message_7204 t1_iwwrsr7 wrote

Your joking right? Outside of a few areas like Burlington, Rutland,Brattleboro, VT is overall an extremely safe place. My issue is that we seem to be far more fixated on the problem and not why the problems are far worse than ever before. If that gets me downvotes, I think we're all screwed.

Quiet_Satisfaction64 t1_iwx1clb wrote

I guess that depends on what you’ve experienced right? Yes, it can be safe in VT but that doesnt mean this stuff hasn’t been happening since, well, ever. 15 years ago, living in a decently populated, “safe” area and we had a string of car “break-ins” (only unlocked cars had stuff stolen) and someone was shooting our pet cats. Bad shit happens every where. Its everyones responsibility to take steps to prevent it if possible.

Yes, we are all aware that our country is suffering, that is part of the rise in crime. We are seeing gentrification happen right in front of our eyes with this surge of new people after covid hit. Then you add on our country’s consistent back pedaling on proactive/beneficial legislation.

I think you’re being down voted because youre being offended by people asking questions about the situation. Get off your moral high horse.

Edit: Spelling correction

Rare_Message_7204 t1_iwx86hv wrote

You can share your opinions on why you think these issues are happening (I appreciate it) but don't make assumptions about me. I'm not riding a moral high horse nor am I offended, that's your assumption.

The number of posts about stolen property is becoming alarming to me. The laughable theme in the comments seems to be curiosity about the circumstances of how something was stolen. My point is that it doesn't really matter. We'd be better served to have meaningful discussions about common sense solutions to fix the root causes of why things are being stolen.

DaddyBobMN t1_iwx2tbs wrote

No joke. Think outside the American. The level of crime we consider low here would be considered high in places like Western Europe. Compared to places like Japan or Korea our little Vermont is a veritable wild wild west.

Rare_Message_7204 t1_iwx7doo wrote

I see what your trying to say but calling VT a literal wild west is just comical. A few of our cities have major issues. If we could just focus on why instead of how the OP left his car we could make some progress. Instead just downvote common sense.

DaddyBobMN t1_iwxqo3t wrote

How so? The level and types of crimes that are common here are unheard of in places like that. They see even our low-for-America levels of crime as lawlessness.

mr_raymond_chen t1_iwx0tnf wrote

It definitely matters and people have the right to ask if the keys were in the car. If the keys were there it’s likely a crime of opportunity. If there were no keys present then it’s an actual car thief that wanted that vehicle specifically.

Rare_Message_7204 t1_iwx70t1 wrote

Its a damn car thief either way. Jesus Christ! We're categorizing car theft now.

mr_raymond_chen t1_iwx8kh5 wrote

Yes there is a huge difference between a crime of opportunity and a targeted theft. Why are you getting so mad at people asking questions?

Rare_Message_7204 t1_iwx9mk3 wrote

I'm not mad, it's just insanity. I'd love to see more effort put into why crime has increased so drastically in recent years rather than categorizing what type of car thief it was.

−4