Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

portersthumb t1_j0tx1f6 wrote

Looking at late Tuesday to be restored in orange county

Good_Kitty_Clarence t1_j0ty6z3 wrote

Dang. I’m on the border of Orange and only lost power for about 4 hours. Sorry for you, that sucks.

IndefinableMustache OP t1_j0tx961 wrote

Damn sorry to hear that. I haven’t heard when we’ll get power back here in Windsor county.

mrwalrus88 t1_j0ucj86 wrote

Perhaps ignorant question, but how do your pipes not freeze of your power is out?

ARealVermontar t1_j0ujzcy wrote

Since they're not complaining about being cold I'm guessing they have a woodstove or something

dillydally85 t1_j0uxgy2 wrote

If you are on a city water source you can leave your sinks trickling and you wont freeze up. If you are on a well and don't have an alternative heat source they can freeze but the temperature would have to be a little lower than they have been.

portersthumb t1_j0uy0rb wrote

There is no guarantee that they won't when the power is out, but fortunately it wasn't that cold & I have a portable generator to keep heat in that area.

landodk t1_j0urt2q wrote

“I want to live in the country”

“Why is it so hard to get services in a remote area?”

Obviously it’s nice when it’s nice… but it isn’t always

IndefinableMustache OP t1_j0vm6zh wrote

You seem to be reading more into it than needed. I love where I live, I'm just tired of melting snow so I can flush my poop

JerryKook t1_j0wfgn2 wrote

How many 5 gallon buckets of snow are required for a flush? I ask because we were with out power for a short period. Before the power came back on, I was wondering how many buckets would be needed.

v3rmin_supreme t1_j0wgpy3 wrote

In my experience, a half full 5 gal bucket poured slowly until the toilet flushes should do the trick. Might get a couple flushes with half a bucket if you’re lucky.

FantasticGuidance236 t1_j0vkvbv wrote

I am absolutely flabbergasted by the number of people that do not have generators but live in the woods. Plan ahead people!

IndefinableMustache OP t1_j0vlwka wrote

I did have one, but it's battery died. Shit happens, have an open mind.

anothervtcouple t1_j0wf6rx wrote

Go buy a new battery? It doesn’t have a pull start?

sad0panda t1_j0xfqls wrote

Yeah, "dead battery" has never been a reason my generator won't start. Heck, I never even connected mine, the pull start is easy on mine and I've never needed the electric starter.

FantasticGuidance236 t1_j0wmpuy wrote

That wasn’t necessarily directed at you. I work for a power company and we get a lot of calls for extended outages where people have lived here for years and never get a generator. But those are the same people that call back 15 times a day demanding their power get restored immediately. In a state like VT, we really are at Nature’s mercy and people need to know that and be prepared.

somedudevt t1_j0ypo7a wrote

Ahhh the Jackery “Generator.” Battery packs are NOT GENERATORS. They may advertise them as off grid power supplies, or falsely as battery generators, BUT generators create electricity and battery packs do not. A generator with gas or diesel will continue to create electricity as long as there is gas or diesel in it. The jackery or whatever other brand has a finite amount of stored power, usually enough to power a few lights for a few hours, but a 100ah battery pack only has enough juice to run a dryer or toaster or refrigerator for 1hr. Once the power is gone it needs electricity to be replenished

How_I_wish_ t1_j0y4zzq wrote

Not everyone can afford a generator. But it only takes a gallon to refill the back of modern toilets after a flush, and 100%…plan ahead :)

somedudevt t1_j0ypzl3 wrote

Generators are mad cheap. If you can afford to Reddit you can afford a genny. 4500w generators start at like $350. You can get a harbor freight China brand small one for like $80 that would be enough to run a heater blower and a household water pump. 4500 is more what would be needed to run refrigerator and lights and water and heater blower

JRosie279 t1_j0ubodf wrote

Projected Tuesday or Wednesday for Sharon

Vermonter623 t1_j0uqci0 wrote

It’s better than a tornady destroying your trailer for the eighth time. I hope you get power back soon

Dodie85 t1_j0uv9hd wrote

That's rough. I'm in Caledonia County and we had our power out for a full hour on Saturday morning. I was surprised how quickly it came back.

Thestraenix t1_j0xshqh wrote

Yikes, that sucks! Is there anything we who have power could do to help your situation? I don't know what that would be but am happy to help if I can and I'm sure others would be also

A-Rainbow-Birb t1_j0w5lxq wrote

Power just came on an hour ago. Thankfully we have a woodstove so we could keep warm, but there's nothing to do when the power's out. Nothing. The snow is too high to really walk around. Glad the power came back though.

Aren't we supposed to have another snow storm around Christmas?

Edit: Having the power out is actually kind of fun. You get time away from media and electronics and all that. But I have 3 budgies (AKA little parrots/parakeets), and 2 40gal tanks, so having the power out means a lot of accommodations for the pets, which can be annoying and difficult. And seeing the little guys shiver because the woodstove isn't warming enough really sucks. Eating out every night is pretty nice, though. Same with having variety in food. Pretty nice. The dark and quiet is also pretty nice.

realmadrid111 t1_j0uofft wrote

I'm so sick and tired of flatlanders moving in and using all of our electricity

Edit: Hmm, should have used the /s tag, looks like

−27