Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

captainogbleedmore t1_j5u2c91 wrote

Ahh BF. Would love to see this person cross the bridge and get pulled over in Walpole for violating Jessica's law!

GrilledSpamSteaks t1_j5udm0z wrote

The act itself is not illegal, but anything that flys off your vehicle and damages stuff is your responsibility, be it snow, fairings, screws. etc… 23 V.S.A. § 1128

captainogbleedmore t1_j5uzkeg wrote

Across the river in NH, where this person was more than likely heading, it's illegal. It's called Jessica's law.

GrilledSpamSteaks t1_j5v488k wrote

If dude crosses over any of the 4 VT borders he’s toast for reckless endangerment at a minimum. VT is, as far as I know, the only one that waits for damage before stepping in.

sad0panda t1_j666zgp wrote

Not quite. MA technically doesn't have a law to cover snow removal either, they cite you for an unsecured load instead which is also technically possible in VT.

Fantastic_Painter_15 t1_j5u52ea wrote

It’s illegal in vermont too

Status_Mechanic t1_j5u94lb wrote

It's not. Seriously. Unless it's on the windshield or possibly the front side windows, VT cops can't do anything until it falls off potentially hurting somebody.

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/vermont/2022/01/15/vermont-laws-how-you-can-get-ticket-not-clearing-your-car/6525548001/

ghostlyone t1_j5w3plh wrote

Vermont is the real live free or die state, not nh.

edwardsamson t1_j5x76eg wrote

We got legal weed, no law to remove the snow from the top of your vehicle, and we can pass on double yellow. And I think we might even have more lax gun laws right? NH has...no helmets on motorcycles and no seatbelts required? Whose more free really?

woolsocksandsandals t1_j5ybd9w wrote

NH doesn’t have income or sales tax and there’s less regulation on polluters.

ghostlyone t1_j5ycfsr wrote

No sales tax but plenty of registration fees. I sure don't feel free every year my car registration comes due. And the property taxes....i always laugh...live free or die, and no legal weed, meanwhile every state bordering us has legal weed. Makes sense, right?

woolsocksandsandals t1_j5yee8p wrote

You ain’t lying. My property taxes and vehicle registrations are oppressively expensive but as a family we save 3-4% of our income living in NH vs. living in Vermont (edit: just by not paying state income tax). I’d love to move back to my home state but I live about 1,000 feet from the Connecticut River and I can see Vermont from my front yard so I’ll take it.

adamlcarp t1_j5yklok wrote

NH was always a shall issue state but just went to constitutional carry, unlike our legislature they haven't passed magazine capacity limits because some dipshit highschool students made threats... so NH is more lax at this point

immoralatheist t1_j5v109i wrote

Does VT not even have a statute requiring anything on the vehicle be secured? MA doesn’t have a snow-specific law either, but they will cite for an unsecured load if you don’t clear the snow off, since the snow and ice comes off and hits other cars.

Status_Mechanic t1_j5v22ur wrote

With the current laws it's treated like window tint... Have all you want as long as long as the windshield and front side windows are clear.

ArkeryStarkery t1_j5x5oeo wrote

Yes, and yes, state police have been known to issue tickets for unsecured loads of snow under 23 V.S.A. § 1454.

woburnite t1_j5yphsx wrote

Unsecured load on roof. You think if the cops saw you driving around with a loose piece of plywood on the roof, they'd be like, "meh, hasn't fallen off yet."

devkim33 t1_j5u8klo wrote

It actually isn’t illegal to not have your vehicles roof clear of snow in Vermont. https://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/section/23/013/01125 “requires that the front windshield, vent windows, or side windows located immediately to the left and right of the operator not be obstructed.”

DicmoVolant t1_j5ubaeu wrote

Vermont tends to just not have some obvious laws that other places do.

captainogbleedmore t1_j5v07y6 wrote

Especially traffic laws like police entrapment. In a lot of states, patrol cars should be visible by up to 100ft, with running lights on, and not at the bottom of a hill.

DicmoVolant t1_j5v4l2t wrote

Shit, in NY I've seen the state troopers fake a roadside breakdown with a shitty old truck, hood up, and the spotter inside. At the next freeway entrance, they a bunch of patrol cars waiting to pull people over. I've also seen them do this with the spotter parked on an overpass, or tucked way back into the trees (with green cars).

Vermont could never afford such shenanigans.

Willman3755 t1_j5vtgug wrote

NY cops suck man.

I've never even been pulled over in Vermont, but in Plattsburgh I've gotten two tickets, one for going 58 in a 45 (I legitimately missed the 45 mph sign at least partly because I've never seen those on proper highways here) and the other for having an out of date VT inspection sticker on my Vt-registered car (that I'm fairly certain NY cops can't enforce...)

VasilyKomotskie t1_j6k61b5 wrote

If you got pulled over in the 45 I think you got pulled over in, you played right into the trap. They literally wait for those green plates 🤣

Willman3755 t1_j6kudk9 wrote

100% lmao.

I now have a radar detector since I do a ton of out of state highway driving (34k miles on my car that I bought new in February).

VasilyKomotskie t1_j6kuygb wrote

As a NYer who lived my entire childhood in the VT speed trap, it’s not worth it to even go slightly over. They are waiting specifically for you haha

TroubleInMyMind t1_j5w3qfc wrote

Oh so not hiding on a private drive parallel to a stop sign that was a yield sign for 30 years?

I have never in four decades seen a police officer that wasn't a State Police do anything what so ever to make the Vermont public safer. 99% of the time they're just sucking money out.

snuffy_tentpeg t1_j5uim9q wrote

Time to update statutes then. They aren't carved in granite.

devkim33 t1_j5uqxg1 wrote

Haha you said granite because Vermont is well known for its granite quarry’s. +1 for you!

weareami t1_j5u9vzd wrote

Has vermont ever had this on the table to vote to make it illegal?

Hanginon t1_j5urmol wrote

There was a snow clearing bill proposed a few years ago but it was such a clueless mess that it was basically beaten to death and buried in an undisclosed location. ¯\_( ͡❛ ͜ʖ ͡❛)_/¯

woburnite t1_j5ypcgq wrote

I believe it is covered under "unsecured load on roof." Tie that snow down properly.