Submitted by Philoctetes23 t3_11bpjsf in washingtondc

We had super warm and super cold cold weeks alternating on a strange pattern and it’s been kind of strange and ominous lol. I know we’re known for our strange seasonal weather but snow two days after we had 80 degree weather? Climate Change is getting tired of our bs.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

[deleted] t1_j9zur30 wrote

You’re worried now, wait til you see what’s coming🫣

DC-DE t1_j9z39b6 wrote

At least you have water. Fresh, clean potable water is not a long term guarantee for people living in the West/Southwest.

mistersmiley318 t1_j9zfdf7 wrote

The water rights situation in the Southwest is all kinds of fucked up. Got there first? Than you can use all the water you want! The agriculture sector out there is unsustainable and needs to be cut back asap. Lake Mead drying up is bad, but the Great Salt Lake becoming rhe Aral Sea 2.0 is horrifying to think about. As much as it sucks that the Mormon Church basically runs Utah, I would think they care enough about Salt Lake City to exert some of their power to save the lake before it turns into a toxic basin.

DCGinkgo t1_ja1lviu wrote

Yep, UT has started to move, but may have waited too long?

4look4rd t1_ja334gn wrote

The water crisis in the west is self inflicted. We really don’t need almond farms in California. In fact we could get rid of agriculture in the west and still be perfectly fine. In California agriculture accounts for 80% of water use.

neuroinsurgent666 t1_ja2zwmj wrote

Meanwhile nestle and other major corpos are buying water rights or land with water rights all along the Colorado river.

MrMoustachio55 t1_ja0hn5v wrote

My brain read Southwest waterfront and I freaked out for a second.

Messy-Recipe t1_ja1kq1z wrote

Read some stuff lately that implies Salt Lake City may be on its way to becoming Salt Bed City

ATroopOfDans t1_j9zavaq wrote

Yeah, from what I understand, climate change can increase the sinuosity of the jet stream, which separates cold polar air from warmer low-latitude air. Higher sinuosity=more ripples, which leads to larger temperature swings.

South_Ambassador_490 t1_ja1j93e wrote

But that distinction is arbitrary since climate change can be defined as a change in climate- which is constant. What you mean to say is that a man-made effect on the earth's climate is f*cking up the general "pattern" of the jet stream, no?

−11

Evening_Chemist_2367 t1_ja00yf1 wrote

The jetstream is being disrupted. Unusual warm air in one place will displace cold air in another place, like squeezing a balloon, squeeze one part and it will bulge out on the other side. Via convection, warm air wants to push its way north in our hemisphere, and that's what causes it. But some people will tell you climate change isn't real because there is cold involved, not understanding that it's cold air displaced from northern latitudes. Those people who deny climate change can't understand something as simple as a water balloon.

studio28 t1_j9zob18 wrote

What a time to be alive

varmau t1_ja1gmtj wrote

There was an extremely cold polar vortex this year. When the polar vortex is stable, it stays at the north pole and sucks warm air from the oceans toward the north pole. Hence the warm weather.

When the vortex destabilizes, the extremely cold air leaves the north pole and floods into lower latitudes.

Currently we are experiencing a lull in global warming with temperatures essentially plateauing over the last several years (at the highs). There’s a good chance that 2023 continues that plateauing trend, so the strange winter doesn’t necessarily mean 2023 will set a record for global warmth.

Messy-Recipe t1_ja1kkz6 wrote

My worry is, doesn't the cold air leaving the pole mean more melting? I'm glad we've had some frigid weather as a result but I fear it may be hastening the final end of cooler days

varmau t1_ja1qh0c wrote

There’s no melting going on in the arctic during winter, regardless of whether the polar vortex spills to lower latitudes. When that happens, it’s entirely possible that Minnesota is colder than the arctic but it’s still plenty cold in the arctic. The melting happens in summer.

DCJoe1970 t1_ja0vbpk wrote

That's why we need install solar panels in hour houses to generate as much electricity as we can!

AADV123 t1_ja1fn3h wrote

Directions unclear, installed solar panel inside house and it isn’t producing much electricity 😂

OnlyHunan t1_ja633xf wrote

I'm not spending that kind of cash on an hour house. Give me something more permanent.

PandaMomentum t1_ja1i0m9 wrote

Just remember, it's not the warmest summer/winter/spring/fall in history, it's the coolest one of the rest of our lives.

endlessly_apollo t1_ja24lni wrote

Lol. Like a global pandemic wasn’t out to get us all— nature is something else

OnlyHunan t1_ja64kah wrote

Snowless winters were not uncommon in NC. And that was less than 250 miles south of DC.

−1

xscott71x t1_ja3644s wrote

Actual weather is “scaring the shit out of you”? You have no control over it. Go outside and enjoy the nice days. Stop living in fear.

−2

Not_Cleaver t1_ja04s6f wrote

It’s no worse than what happens in 2010 or 2016. I recall decent weather before massive snowstorms. In 2010, I believe, that there four straight snow days from OPM. And there really should have been a fifth.

−4

Philoctetes23 OP t1_ja05cxm wrote

I don’t remember 2010 or 2016 being this bad. I mean it was bad but this year’s swings are hitting different.

[deleted] t1_j9z4jal wrote

Yeah, totally climate change. Super scary.

−5

South_Ambassador_490 t1_ja1j551 wrote

This is just natural fluctuations with the climate- been going on for the past entire history of the earth. What is happening right now is an unstable jet stream which (in America's current case) causes extreme fluctuations in temperatures depending on what side of the jet stream you end up on (right now, generally an abnormally cold West Coast and abnormally warm East Coast). People who are trying to fear monger you are just trying to get you to fall to their narrative.

−7

NPRjunkieDC t1_j9za4jr wrote

How many on.here compost? Or don't eat red meat ?

I'm getting downvoted. So most on here complain but take no action?

−22

swampoodler t1_j9zc128 wrote

Mate, the individual behavior of the general populace is a small factor compared to what the corporations spew out and how much of an impact the luxuries of the top 10% income earners have on this poor Earth.

The problem is at the top, not the bottom.

NPRjunkieDC t1_j9zca80 wrote

That's an easy excuse, as in not my problem . I'm probably in the top 10%, but do what I can .

The problem is not the top earners . It's what you do with your money and in your daily life

−20

swampoodler t1_j9zdpj6 wrote

Thanks for clarifying your personality.

And no, you’re wrong. The data exist. The top earners literally produce the same amount of CO2 emissions as the rest of us combined.

https://www.statista.com/chart/26904/estimated-global-co2-emission-share-by-income-groups/

”The world's richest ten percent are responsible for an estimated 47 percent share of global CO2 emissions.”

This level of discrepancy tracks within the US as well.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/rich-americans-have-higher-carbon-footprints-than-other-wealthy-people/

”In North America, the top 10 percent of people by income produce nearly 73 tons of carbon dioxide per person annually. At the other end of the income spectrum, however, the bottom 50 percent of North Americans emit 10 tons per person annually.”

A special link just because I want to believe you actually are a subscriber to NPR:

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/09/1135446721/billionaires-carbon-dioxide-emissions

”Very rich people emit huge and unsustainable amounts of carbon and have an outsized influence over our economy."

cogscidude t1_j9ziu2b wrote

Most people in this subreddit are in the world's richest top ten percent. We are the one's responsible

swampoodler t1_j9zjic0 wrote

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-wealthy-middle-class-poor-make-income-per-year-2021-12?amp

”Someone in the top 10% of the global income distribution makes $122,100 per year.”

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/DC,US/PST045221

”Per capita income in past 12 months (in 2021 dollars), 2017-2021, Washington DC: $63,793”

The more you know.

[deleted] t1_j9ztxiw wrote

[deleted]

swampoodler t1_j9zxye9 wrote

Thanks for the input!

Larger point will still stand though: those with higher incomes contribute more to emissions. Both the global top 10% and the top 10% within the country when compared to the rest.

AhhAGoose t1_ja0c5ol wrote

Is it really only $122k a year that makes someone top 10%?! So like, a GS13 is basically in the top 10%

sl8rfan2 t1_j9zf5kg wrote

What an insufferable attitude.

Edit: sweet edit. You completely missed the point.

studio28 t1_j9zn5qp wrote

Its like a bystander effect diffusion of responsibility blind spot. I think that's the worst part of all this. People just say fuck it and fuck you"... the top ten percent. It's not my responsibility? What help am I gonna do?"

Hiding behind a study showing 100 companies were responsible for 70% of greenhouse gas. It's like so what? Avoid those industries and mitigate the results! 🤦‍♂️

swampoodler t1_ja0097d wrote

I’m sorry, but climate change isn’t going to be stopped until we tax the decadence out of the rich.

“Taylor Swift topped the list at more than 170 flights since January, totalling up to 15.9 days in the air, and 8,293.54 metric tons of CO2 emissions—that’s equivalent to all the emissions from the energy used by over 1,000 homes in the U.S. for a year.”

”The average person produces about 7 metric ton of CO2 annually. Meanwhile, celebrities have emitted an average of more than 3,300 metric tons from their private jets alone so far this year.”

https://time.com/6208632/celebrities-climate-impact-private-jets-yachts/

studio28 t1_ja011ia wrote

Just sayin that's no reason not to do what we can. Am I mistaken in saying we're sort of in a race against this thing and whatever more time we can give ourselves the better? Turning off your xbox automatically apparently saves two trees worth of CO2. I don't see how we make a different choice but to reduce.

swampoodler t1_ja035tc wrote

>Turning off your xbox…

Flapping your wings while the plane crashes.

I agree that it’s good to use less as an individual, but I’m saying it literally won’t matter so long as the rich keep doing what they’re doing.

NPRjunkieDC t1_j9znodt wrote

Individual responsibility is powerful. You can convince others, etc . That's also politics . The power of the vote .

But if you feel helpless, then everything can go to he'll.

But on here fuck the 10% and everything is the boomers fault .