Submitted by AhhAGoose t3_zyd135 in washingtondc

I already filed the appeal, and they denied it. I parked my car in the same spot I always do about 5 months ago, while I was parked there they moved the no parking sign and put it right next to my car. I got a ticket within 3 hours of parking there. I filed the appeal and it was denied, so they think I’m paying $50.

I’m done with this. I’m not paying the fine, I’m not renewing my registration because that apparently doesn’t matter anymore. I’m done paying DC for nothing

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ChipChester t1_j25bsqd wrote

Track down the workorder for the sign installation via FOIA?

Look for security cam footage? (Quickly in case it rolls over.)

Tough thing to prove.

AhhAGoose OP t1_j25c4c2 wrote

There is no process to appeal further

LawThese9520 t1_j270oq1 wrote

You can appeal in person in court— which you should do. The online appeal system isn’t the final option. You can also file a motion to vacate the citation…

Def_Probably_Not t1_j257s9l wrote

I feel your pain. I was ticketed on 2 separate days for parking on private property. Here's the kicker, I was legally renting that space and provided parking enforcement with a letter from the owner stating that I was allowed to park there (no one seems to know who called parking enforcement). They dismissed one, and said I was liable for the other. This is a $100 ticket.

Jeww_Chainz t1_j256zoz wrote

DC department of transportation/motor vehicles really doesn’t give a shit about its residents and trying to serve them. All they care about is taking any opportunity to get money from people no matter if what they are doing is fair. They also have no one reasonable working in these departments to communicate any issues or gaps in their policies. Sorry for your troubles. I feel your pain.

[deleted] t1_j25i63h wrote

[deleted]

Mustangfast85 t1_j26nob0 wrote

This and all the ticket cameras are a substantial reason why I exclusively use the Metro when going into DC

andeely t1_j27hrai wrote

Same happened to me! Was parking in front of my house and saw workers putting up a sign next to my car while I was on a work meeting. 30 minutes later I came out to check, a new disabled parking sign was up and my car was ticketed. I contested the ticket and was able to get it dismissed. Was a super frustrating and stressful experience too so O feel you, sorry about the hassle!

[deleted] t1_j267jbt wrote

[deleted]

AhhAGoose OP t1_j267rto wrote

I’m in the process of starting a church, either that or become a politician

Reit007 t1_j27kp5m wrote

I will vote for you if you end this shit show! I have thought about it a lot too. Reach out if you really consider it. Happy to support anyone who wants to change the status quo in DC’s political landscape.

NPRjunkieDC t1_j26iojo wrote

This might be why a friend put our dog's name in for local DC elections. Acknowledged it was a dog!

AhhAGoose OP t1_j26j2yx wrote

The dog couldn’t be worse than the jokers we have now

Messy-Recipe t1_j274y7p wrote

I may have voted Avril Lavigne for an uncontested council seat

Joelpat t1_j262mk7 wrote

To live here is to be extorted and stolen from by your own government. Accept it, pay the $50 and keep your sanity.

Rscaroll t1_j28thyu wrote

If the ticket was for emergency no parking (paper signs) they do have to print them up 24 hours in advance. I'd suggest looking up the permit for the no parking and the approved TCP plans on the DDOT TOPS site and reach out to the approver on the tcp and inform that person that this contractor is not placing signs properly and also submit a request for reconsideration and 2nd request to contest the ticket. Letting it go to collections and not informing DDOT that the signs aren't posted properly is not going to make the situation get any better. It takes some time but it helps.

se_puede t1_j28zs3w wrote

*72 hours in residential zone. 24 hrs for metered/commercial. To tow, you must have called enforcement to officially observe the signs in advance, though am not sure if that even matters anymore.

Rscaroll t1_j2cccfl wrote

If they are still working in your area they probably continue to do the same thing by moving signs around and then calling to tow. They know what they are doing.... If you need help looking up this stuff in TOPS there is a ddot approver and they probably would like to know they are approving permits and they need to issue a reminder of the rules perhaps.

OP - curious if DPW had photos uploaded to TicPixor if the NOI was issued with no photos taken.

WiltedNine t1_j26q1q0 wrote

Not sure if you tried - but maybe see if there’s a recent Google Maps Street View of the spot showing the sign wasn’t there at some point in the recent past.

stormcloudbros t1_j266o6t wrote

How long was your car there?

AhhAGoose OP t1_j26738d wrote

About 9 hours total, in what was a legal spot, I have a resident permit for the right zone and everything

stormcloudbros t1_j267br1 wrote

Assume it was a temp no parking sign? Not possible you just missed it?

AhhAGoose OP t1_j267hd4 wrote

There were no signs up, they just moved the sign. A couple days later they put up signs for when they repainted the lanes but there was nothing there at the time

veloharris t1_j26ak92 wrote

Contact your council member.

IIIRenegadeIII t1_j29fqq7 wrote

It’s an absolute racket designed to extort and nothing more. There’s no interest in safety, fairness, anything like that. Fucking bloodsuckers is what they are.

Honestly? There’s cars roaming around here with thousands of dollars in tickets and their shit isn’t getting impounded, so wtf are they gonna do to you? Issue you another ticket? Laughable. I wouldn’t pay either.

Aiiisch t1_j29i77q wrote

After way too many bogus parking tickets, or parking meters that just refuse to work, I have begun to take multiple pictures from every angle of my parking spots and even video of me trying to pay meters every time I park.

Our most recent was a “handicap spot” ticket for parking and paying next to a meter that was completely covered with expired temporary no parking signs. There was no way to even tell it was a handicapped meter!

Brickleberried t1_j27la28 wrote

This city's parking enforcement is abysmal. I had a rant about it here earlier this year.

Ok_Concentrate_75 t1_j28mb3a wrote

They gave me a 300 ticket for parking in snow invisible bus lane....there is and hasn't been one where I park for a year....

AutoModerator t1_j253sn5 wrote

Your submission appears to be asking about parking.

Your first resources are available here and here.

Unless you are in a residential area of the city, there is no such thing as reliably free and easy long-term parking. Please read parking signs carefully, even locals get confused sometimes.

Useful apps for parking include ParkMobile for street parking and SpotHero for garage spaces.

Visiting a friend in the city? Ask them for a free visitor parking pass from any MPD station.

Did you receive a ticket? Are you guilty? If so, pay it. Pictures and incorrect information doesn't matter.

Parking resources for:

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

−13