Submitted by yunnifymonte t3_10n3bb6 in washingtondc

I feel like recently there has been a bit of negativity on this sub, and at times it feels like a DC Hate-Community, especially regarding crime, that isn’t to say DC is perfect, but I feel like we need a little bit more of positivity!

So, what do you like, or LOVE about Washington, DC? Is it the different Neighborhoods? The Nightlife? Transportation? The Museums? Oh! And, let’s not forget Metro’s gorgeous Underground Stations? Anything!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

just_another_classic t1_j66nm9c wrote

The free museums are amazing. Being able to just pop into a museum on the weekend whenever you're trying to think of something to do and not pay money for it? Amazing.

DC also has a lot of green space, which is very pleasant.

invisiblemorgan t1_j68apbh wrote

I grew up here and legitimately didn’t know other museums weren’t free until I rolled up to one in NYC and they asked for a credit card. It blew my mind.

waitwhatttt t1_j68mndk wrote

This is one of my favorite things too, but this new trend of needing timed passes for certain museums or the zoo puts a big damper on the magic of a last minute stroll into a museum. I appreciate they’re free but I don’t want to have to plan in advance.

just_another_classic t1_j68n7in wrote

I agree with this -- especially the zoo. Most of the Smithsonians I've been able to walk right in, but the zoo is especially a tough one -- especially since I have a toddler.

Bamaesquire t1_j67yoxx wrote

Hard agree! As an extension of this, the zoo being free is amazing.

super_derp69420 t1_j66qwon wrote

As much as yall shit on the metro. I really love not having to have a car to get around. I got rid of mine when I moved here.

I'm from somewhere that has little to no reliable public transportation

billionairespicerice t1_j68o7mj wrote

I’m currently in NYC and I also appreciate how clean the metro is relative to other cities

Fine-Helicopter-6559 t1_j690iu1 wrote

We shit on it, but in reality, it's one of the best metros in North America. RM transit made a amazing video on it! I'll link it

https://youtu.be/b6X312phkUw

yunnifymonte OP t1_j69632e wrote

I absolutely loved that video, as RMTransit has said before Metro has the bones to become a world class system, but if Metro wants to get to that status, we’ll definitely need to fix some things, but we are getting there, SLOWLY.

dsli t1_j693wc3 wrote

Says everything you need to know about North America compared to the rest of the world when it comes to public transit

super_derp69420 t1_j69xfol wrote

I came across that video a couple weeks ago and found it fascinating

me_speak_computer t1_j67agia wrote

Yes I agree! I drove an hour to work for 5 years and now I rely on biking and metro. The majority of the bike portion of my commute is via bike lanes and my metro portion is great! Everyone shits on the Silver Line but I love it, at least way more than driving.

missesT1 t1_j6auhxc wrote

This! And with the lines still growing, it’s really nice. Getting to Dulles from our place in Capitol Hill is awesome.

taxwithoutrep t1_j66rl0w wrote

Rock Creek Park. Not to mention all the other wonderful green space. It’s a walkable city with decent transit, diverse population and some really amazing people. There’s no other city I’d rather live in.

ProperWayToEataFig t1_j691zfk wrote

I heard coyotes last time I walked in Rock Creek Park. Wonderful but the deer will invade your backyard garden so take precautions.

Totalanimefan t1_j68f40s wrote

+1 for Rock Creek Park. Without taking a car I can “leave” the city and be transported into nature. It’s really beautiful. I went for the first time in the fall and I think I would like to make that a yearly fall experience.

YosemiteMyHeart t1_j69c6r6 wrote

I’m so excited to go back and share with 11! It was one of my favorite places when I was a kid.

DistrictGrow t1_j66o7me wrote

I love the low building heights. You can see the sky while still having walkable neighborhoods. Lower density creates nice neighborly feeling where you know everyone on your block. Comparatively to other cities, lots of trees and greenery too.

Texas_Rockets t1_j682624 wrote

The high rents that result are pretty sweet too. Love supporting medium sized businesses.

DistrictGrow t1_j683o19 wrote

NYC has higher rents. And taller buildings.

Texas_Rockets t1_j687o70 wrote

Their population is also 12x higher. In either case, that doesn’t mean restricting the supply of rental units doesn’t increase rent. Lower supply + constant demand = higher price

carbolicsmoke t1_j688kbc wrote

Honestly I don’t think the height restrictions are the primary cause of high rents. AFAIK most housing in this city is in the form of a 2-story townhouse.

Texas_Rockets t1_j688y4q wrote

2 story housing in a densely populated city is still really low. It sounds like you’re describing the suburbs, not a city.

Why do you think rents are high then? Simply by the law of supply and demand, keeping supply low is going to raise the price.

carbolicsmoke t1_j68feal wrote

Not denying there are supply constraints, only saying that building height is not the primary limitation IMHO.

Texas_Rockets t1_j68flx0 wrote

Who’s to say what the entire range of causes is. But my point was that prohibiting people from expanding housing supply vertically when horizontal space is at a premium can only place upward pressure on prices

pizzajona t1_j6a9dl7 wrote

Lots of residential neighborhoods are zoned to only 40 ft tall. That’s why they’re townhomes or small apartments.

Corporate_CPA t1_j68cqey wrote

Our population would increase if we had taller buildings too. High rents are caused by a lot of things. The argument that building height is the only cause is not fair. I understand why it is used when advocating for a policy position that this thesis supports.

I will also point out that you live in Logan Circle. One of the highest per sq ft rents in the city. And what makes Logan so beautiful and desirable? Lack of tall buildings, beautiful old homes, etc. If you added tall buildings there it would not be as desirable and everything that makes you want to live there, could be lost. I love walking around Logan Circle. Just like I love walking around Georgetown. But I live in a more affordable area of the city. There are plenty of beautiful neighborhoods with much more affordable rents. More affordable than the suburbs.

Texas_Rockets t1_j68g1gv wrote

I’m not saying it’s the only cause. But as a basic fact of supply and demand when expanding housing supply vertically is prohibited and horizontal space is at a premium that’s inevitably going to place upward pressure on prices.

I’m not arguing that higher buildings make a place more pretty. Just that allowing them let’s supply keep up with demand.

This is a complex issue but it’s well known and established that it’s largely an issue of supply

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/11/us-housing-gap-cost-affordability-big-cities/672184/

International_Gru t1_j66tj8j wrote

So full transparency: I live in Maryland, just on the border of DC & MD, but my life (work and play) are all in DC and I’m in the process moving into DC. Some of the top things I love about this city include:

• How every neighborhood has a similar, but different vibe. Idk how to explain it but I mainly hang out at the wharf (near where I work), Capitol Hill, Dupont Circle and Shaw neighborhoods and I love them for different reasons.

• There are so many different cuisines to try!

• The desire to support local businesses is strong.

• Communities are also really strong (i.e. the art community)

• The ability to participate in important, arguably historic protests or other types of moments is available to me at a leisure. For example, I’m able to pop over to the Supreme Court for a protest after work. This is something I really try not to take for granted.

• Cultural events! I am so, so grateful to be able to enjoy events by embassies, the Kennedy Center, the Museums, etc. — and any other smaller events that bring communities together.

• The recreation in this city is fantastic. Between what you can do on the Potomac to exploring Rock Creek Park or the arboretum to just hanging out on the National Mall on a nice summer day is perfection.

• The sports scene is great. I am a huge Capitals fan and the sports community is so welcoming. It’s not hard to bond over favorite teams.

That’s just my two cents 😊

foxy-coxy t1_j66ugn2 wrote

That i can walk, bike, take the metro or the bus to almost everywhere i need to go.

cave_cave t1_j68oqwp wrote

This is also my favorite thing about dc. I’ve been car-less for 10 years now.

thekingoftherodeo t1_j67beg4 wrote

Four things stand out as things I genuinely love about this area:

(1) DC has an incredible high end dining scene for its size. I'm relatively certain it has the most Michelin stars per capita in the US (if we generously associate the likes of the French Laundry with SF). The starred restaurants are also very varied in their speciality and price point, you can probably get out of Rooster & Owl with a tasting menu & a bottle of wine for ~$130pp all in while you could do Minibar and easily blow $500+ per person.

Even outside of the star circuit, you've got places like Marcel's which are superb.

(2) There are 3 relatively easily accessible airports with almost every major city covered with a direct flight. The competition also keeps a lid on prices, you'll find a flight you can afford even if you have to trek out to BWI (my least favorite of the 3 needless to say!), we aren't hub captive like folks in Charlotte would be to AA for example.

For bonus points: you absolutely cannot beat a river visual approach into DCA sitting on the DC side on the plane, or indeed taking off to the north. A free sightseeing flight on every departure. Side note that for avgeeks here, Gravelly Point & Udvar-Hazy are fantastic to have accessible.

(3) The weather. Sure it gets hot in July/August, but we have relatively mild weather, mostly no significant disruptive events to worry about (one off derechos aside!) and a tangible 4 seasons, even if we're struggling for some powder this year.

(4) The ability to travel 3ish hours from here and get a completely different experience. NYC. Delaware/MD beaches. Shenandoah. VA vineyards. Snowshoe. Most places are lucky to have one of those things accessible.

youlooklikeamonster t1_j66z4xi wrote

The number of theaters and theater companies, the number of music venues, the museums, the monuments, the trees, the book stores, and the roller rinks. We've got SIX rollerrinks nearby including the only roller rink that is part of a national park.

I dont want to see that play. Really, well there are several others playing the same night. It is an embarrassment of cultural riches.

Plus you are in driving range of beaches and mountains.

And three airports.

And it is still CC.

Lemonade_Mermaid t1_j67ejgc wrote

Could you tell me what those roller rinks are? That's awesome and I only spotted a few on Google when I was scoping out the area, though I did see lots of ice skating rinks. I've started rollerblading where I'm from (Denver) and I'm hoping to continue when I move to the area here in March :)

youlooklikeamonster t1_j68lozv wrote

I think not all of these allow inline skates. Ive seen them only at the last two. https://temple-hills-skate-palace.business.site/

https://lanhamskatecenter.com/

https://laurelskatingcenter.com/

https://skatenfunzone.com/

https://www.nps.gov/anac/planyourvisit/roller-skating.htm

https://www.sk8zone.com/

I see inline skaters the most on the mount vernon trail but that is because of where i live. https://www.nps.gov/gwmp/planyourvisit/mtvernontrail.htm

There are probably other popular places right in dc.

hobbes_waterson13 t1_j66pw7q wrote

It’s like a less overwhelming and much cleaner NYC. Tons to do and lots of diversity, plus one of the best food scenes in the country.

J-J-J-J-J-J-J-J t1_j67241p wrote

This sub generally sucks, clearly not a reflection of this great city.

This city is fucking awesome. GOOD people are everywhere! This sub is lock step with network news pessimism. The reality is that far more great things happen more often than not!

Mustangfast85 t1_j66srto wrote

I like the ease of getting around with the Metro, the museums, the bars and restaurants around.

s-multicellular t1_j66ttrb wrote

Diversity of people, and the foods, festivals, cultural events that come with that.

embracingmyhobbies t1_j66p91g wrote

I can bike to anywhere in the city in under an hour. There are more restaurants I want to try than I can so always new food on the horizon.

[deleted] t1_j66oy1j wrote

[deleted]

CashewGuy t1_j68154v wrote

I didn't want to get lit up in that thread, but I go to this park all the time to read and I love watching the dogs play. I can't have a dog in my apartment so I live vicariously through those dogs. I wish I could pet them!

BrightThru2014 t1_j66y3ep wrote

Walkability and incredible restaurants/bars casually everywhere. Love DC.

idkyikeepmakingnew1s t1_j66p787 wrote

Everything. I grew up in a rural community and this is a beautiful city to me.

mostlikelyatwork t1_j67baxs wrote

There is a TED talk about how walkable this city is. It took some traveling for that to sink in. Other places are entirely designed for cars.

FSOTFitzgerald t1_j68g4yq wrote

Yep, even the downtown cores of large cities south and west of us. Phoenix, Atlanta, Nashville. “Drive everywhere” cities are truly the worst of both worlds.

ElsieDCow t1_j674pnt wrote

The cherry blossoms are just lovely!

doc_akh t1_j67e5cd wrote

I seriously love jogging here. So many monuments, memorials, and historical buildings. It’s such a treat. And everything is close by too. There are people in this country who have yet to visit DC as a tourist. It’s amazes me that I can jog to the Washington monument, Lincoln memorial and the capital building all during my lunch break.

ohdangherewego t1_j68b5m4 wrote

Most days my bike commute goes right by either monuments, museums, the white house, the capitol. Still gets me everytime! So crazy.

mr_fun_cooker t1_j68m1ec wrote

If I’m being totally honest it’s you. The people here are endlessly interesting and always have something new to show me. It’s the first place I felt like I belong. So thank you.

priyarainelle t1_j68o6e7 wrote

I like that it's exactly the middle in terms of urban and suburban lifestyle. As a southern person who lived in suburban or rural areas most of my life, I find NYC to be a bit too chaotic and impersonal to be appealing. I always wanted to live in a big, but not too big city, and D.C. is the happy middle ground.

There are four seasons but none are too extreme. It's super walkable with robust public transportation networks. You don't need a car, but a car can be helpful. Plus we have three airports and Amtrak to connect you to other cities on the East coast, which makes it a great launchpad for getting elsewhere in the country or around the world.

Much of the shopping, food, culture, sports, arts, activity, and nightlife that can be found in large cities can be found here to some extent. D.C. is expensive but, due to it's regional nature, there is more "value" to be found here in terms of trade offs that must be made for the sake of lifestyle vs cost of living.

Personality wise, D.C. is slightly less superficial than places like NYC, LA, and Miami. While people here are still status driven, and elitism and wealth culture still remains very much a part of D.C. social life, people do seem to genuinely value and appreciate intellect and career accomplishment a bit more than beauty and materialism. As a result, I find people here to be more interesting.

SSSS_car_go t1_j68ae7h wrote

I love all the ways I can volunteer doing something that makes our city better, like pulling invasive plants with Rock Creek Conservancy, or picking up litter with District Cleanups.

I also like being able to be car free—I moved back here after 10 years in Southern California, where a car is necessary for everything (and most trips involve a freeway), and busses are infrequent, slow, and dirty. I gave away my car, which makes my frugal life here (just barely) affordable.

tibblez_ t1_j68d3qo wrote

DC is so navigable and beautiful. There are not many other cities left in America where you can truly walk or take cheap public transit and it be convenient and enjoyable. I love not needing to rely on a car to get around, and the city features so much beautiful architecture and tons of green space (at least in NW and NE). Another thing we all take for granted is that, compared to places like Boston and NY, we have a ton of new real estate that pushes down prices and generally makes it more affordable to live in a walkable area.

Professional_Yam5208 t1_j67cobe wrote

Hirshorn Sculpture Garden, botanical gardens, Arboretum, art galleries like the Freer, Sackler, and Portrait Museum, not to mention 19 Smithsonian Museums + the Zoo all free and amazing.

caphilldcne t1_j67e6kw wrote

I like the friends I’ve made here. I have amazing neighbors. People hang out, bbq, relax and do good things. I like working with people that have a cause in life, are committed to helping others. Good food. Walkability. Lots of dogs to pet (yes I ask first). Honestly I cannot imagine living anywhere else. Well, I might try New Orleans one day but DC is amazing.

Fragrant_Coconuts t1_j685oof wrote

The diversity. So many other cities may have more “diversity” on paper, but in DC I feel like it’s not nearly as segregated as it was in LA (where I grew up). Almost any event or party we go to is full of people from everywhere (geographically, ethnically, socio-economically). It’s great. Living in NYC for a while I realized how homogenous my friend group was compared to what it is in DC.

ilovearthistory t1_j68cvbw wrote

walking - there’s nowhere i can’t get too on foot, which is way more than most cities can say

MyPotatoNotUrPotato t1_j68f9ux wrote

Cherry blossoms around the tidal basin are just magic. The historic homes tightly squeezed along narrow streets in Georgetown. And I love those moments when you’re just commuting and catch a glimpse of the Capitol dome or the Washington monument in the distance or rearview mirror. Structures some people wait their whole life to see are just part of the daily fabric of our lives. It’s just neat.

duodmas t1_j6a0mr4 wrote

This subreddit is disgusting and full of mask-off racism. It is not representative of what I see in the city.

The other points have already been touched on but I'll add something else. I have a hobby where I am at the top of it being just a hobby and not my job. DC has a high concentration of people just like me. I run marathons but I imagine that you can pick any hobby and DC will have other top performers.

algoai t1_j680mvi wrote

The rats creeping at night , make me dance while walking 🕺💃

algoai t1_j680wjd wrote

Lol made a joke before but real things I like: Walkability History Architecture with character Low rise buildings , I do not enjoy tall skyscrapers like other cities, I like that they cannot go above the Washington Memorial. Makes it like Paris or other cities that also have height restrictions.

FissureofChrist t1_j680y38 wrote

I love going to the Amazonia room at the free zoo at opening. They feed all the free roam animals at that time and it's so magical.

DC-COVID-TRASH t1_j68igp9 wrote

It's one of the greenest (in terms of plants/parks) cities in the US, even in the poorer neighborhoods too.

mr-sandman-bringsand t1_j6gtlre wrote

I’ve always viewed DC on a Boston/DC/NYC continuum.

NYC is very exciting but less livable - good luck finding in unit W/D or AC for a reasonable rent!

Boston is less exciting but a solid NE city with lots of career opportunities in my field (technology)

DC has a bit of Boston and NYC - not nearly as vibrant as NYV but far more so than almost anywhere in the US. Super livable (trees? Grocery stores nearby? Quiet spaces?) DC is a major city yet also it’s not so in your face you can’t meet and know your neighbors.

me_speak_computer t1_j67aqeg wrote

The bike lanes here are amazing. I got a Bikeshare membership despite owning a bike, because it’s such a convenient and safe way to get around the city. I can take a bike over to 14th street for happy hour with my friends, and then Uber home. I also bike as part of my commute.

mmarkDC t1_j67hido wrote

I like that the museums are free. :-)

Phailbox t1_j68bdfc wrote

Love being able to drive my car to a bar (great cocktail scene) and then Uber home relatively cheap.

Totalanimefan t1_j68ewer wrote

All of the beauty in DC! The museums, the good food, the architecture of buildings (not you FBI building), the vibrant and unique neighborhoods, our parks, the rivers, the metro stations, cherry blossom season, etc. I can live car-free. The job opportunities was something I never could have dreamed about coming from a small town in the south. I was drawn to this place after visiting for the first time in 2017.

Growing up I never wanted to visit here cause I would hear from snowbirds how it couldn’t compare to NY, or how it wasn’t even a city with a skyline or how it’s only here to host the government.

All of those things are just jaded opinions. DC has a ton of beauty. I’ve been here for a few years now and I’m not even done exploring.

malenopark t1_j68gs4a wrote

There are numerous great live music venues within a few miles of each other. They attract a wide variety of acts.

Ncav2 t1_j68kcvw wrote

-Largely a progressive city -Museums -Not super big and sprawled out (I never feel overwhelmed driving through DC) -Job opportunities in the metro area -Nice metro system (I grew up in a city with no metro, so I appreciate it) -Walkability -Native DC culture is cool -Love the architecture (townhouses, federal buildings, monuments) -Nightlife can be great at times -Highly educated city/metro area

stormcloudbros t1_j68tjnq wrote

It’s beautiful. Smaller town feel with big city amenities. Walkability and accessibility to so much.

LanEvo7685 t1_j6903ai wrote

Might be cliche and romanticized but really is the people I meet, totally expanded my mind.

Met so many people who came to be journalists, NGO workers, involve in politics and also grassroot activists, it's inspiring to know people are coming and hustling daily with aspirations to "make the world a better place". Also humbling to meet many brilliant minds in ways different from my engineering STEM background, and to learn about the world through them.

alagrancosa t1_j69zfca wrote

Love how small the city is on a bicycle.

alagrancosa t1_j69zl4n wrote

Also how much nicer it is now compared with 20 years ago.

−1

moneybadger44 t1_j6jdlap wrote

I'm from Miami, which probably has the worst public transit of any big city in the US. I appreciate how accessible public transit is. Also the free museums are dope.

DC_Sun t1_j678qrq wrote

what everybody else said, plus the weed. woo.

Plus_Mirror_2611 t1_j687bid wrote

The neighborhoods, the cleanliness, and the greenspaces.

arugula21 t1_j68ne5l wrote

initiative 71 baby

sakizashi t1_j697l7r wrote

DC is a great place to live. Tons of stuff to do, great food scene. and compared to most "world class" cities in the US its actually relatively affordable to live in the urban areas.

While cyclists love to gripe (and legitimately about their safety) for a city its size the DC metro area has a pretty robust road cycling and triathlon scene. In that vein, its amazing to be able get up early and go for a run or bike through the monuments.

kayjun38 t1_j69tfei wrote

I’m a Houstonian and absolutely love the fourth largest city in the country, but I sure do love visiting your city! The metro is great, for the most part, people are friendly, it’s not too crowded, the architecture is beautiful, and I’ve had some pretty good meals there. Always look forward to going back every year.

bored-buxom-cat t1_j69vmf2 wrote

I truly value The diversity here in the district. There's something about being surrounded by so many brilliant intellectually driven black and brown people. There's really nothing like it.

molleraj t1_j69yhz5 wrote

OMG, too much to list. The general friendliness and warmth of the people for a city this big, the smorgasbord of parks, the diverse communities, especially in the burbs, the excellent transportation (that's slowly getting even better), the free museums, and the unbelievable number of jobs. Oh and the food, especially from hole in the wall places. And the history. And the education at secondary and postsecondary levels. And...haha.

mjsarlington t1_j6a28sp wrote

The different neighborhoods from downtown, CoHi, Brookland, H st, Wharf, etc. also got together with my now wife at the Black Cat.

ifoundacouch t1_j6a3rn1 wrote

I like the feel of a medium density city like DC. When I go out, I often run into people I know, which gives the place a friendly vibe even in an urban space.

pizzajona t1_j6a939d wrote

Lots of free amenities and lots of nature both within and nearby the city

Smile_Anyway_9988 t1_j6ag791 wrote

Thank you for this post. We could all use a good dose of positivity. I find DC history interesting. I have always taken pride in the fact that DC is diverse and most people here value education and culture. I love the free museums, free festivals, and variety of great restaurants. Metro is clean and you can walk to anywhere in DC.

blackknight1 t1_j6akl8u wrote

Free museums, embassy events, theatre scene, walkability, metro, people

redditasa t1_j6apfba wrote

The authentic people. By that, I mean the natives. I've always had great fun and convo with them. Dig the vibes from them.

borg359 t1_j6aynoy wrote

The museums are great for raising kids in the DC area.

RoeRoeRoeYourVote t1_j6ilb57 wrote

In my old city, I really struggled with finding people who gave a shit, but this could not be further from the truth for the people I've found here. There's a degree of selection bias in my opinion, I know. I'm just really happy that I know people who inspire me, challenge me, and push me to be better.

Devastator1981 t1_j6f11d7 wrote

• The trails. All of them.

• Distinctive neighborhoods—Anacostia is not like Georgetown which is not like Wharf which is not like NoMa. It’s a GOOD thing to have different neighborhoods with their own vibe, and to have a mix of the historical stuff with new shiny modern things.

3rdAmendment1st t1_j66olf0 wrote

I love all of the off-leash dogs wearing balaclavas getting into cars with MD temporary tags in Navy Yard.

Also Dan’s cafe.

−14

TeslaPlaysX213 t1_j66rf4g wrote

I just left from a trip and had the worst time with a fucking parking deck that I was told was at capacity, and when I tried to leave the valets thought it was appropriate to park cars in the up ramp so I end up ruining a new car against a support beam when some chick blocks me in Colonial Parking on Pennsylvania ave

−16

drr71-2 t1_j66nfzv wrote

I LOVE getting car jacked and seeing the punks who did it face no punishment. And I LOVE getting a new bike every 6 months because mine keeps getting stolen. Is that the kind of positivity you're looking for?

−46

super_derp69420 t1_j6715ek wrote

Is it exhausting being this miserable?

OcelotControl78 t1_j67ktvp wrote

Isn't it exhausting continually denying that DC's high crime rate has an impact on the people who live here?

drr71-2 t1_j67ih3q wrote

What's exhausting is having to get a new bike so often because yours gets stolen so often. What's exhausting is getting your car repaired multiple times after several hit and runs. What's exhausting is getting robbed at gun point with your family while walking to dinner and having to get a new cell phone, license, and credit cards the next day.

−1

super_derp69420 t1_j67j5rt wrote

Dang. Sounds like you hate it here. Maybe you should move?

drr71-2 t1_j67m1l9 wrote

I saw your other reply before your deleted it. Thanks for reminding me about the other thing I LOVE about DC; the people on this sub who attack you and down vote you when you point out the issues this city has instead of painting a pretty Bob Ross picture where violent crime is just a "happy accident" to be accepted.

drr71-2 t1_j67jijw wrote

Maybe people should stop accepting that being robbed and subjected to crime is not a great way to live.

bigatrop t1_j6egwdm wrote

Damn dude. I’ve lived here for 20 years in various neighborhoods and never had one of those things happen to me. Maybe bring your bike inside?

drr71-2 t1_j6eo65s wrote

So it's my fault for not bringing my bike inside everywhere I go?! Why didn't I ever think of bringing it inside when I could?!?! Perhaps I should keep it inside and only Uber everywhere.... then it will never get stolen. And it often is inside where possible, but it's been stolen from "secure" garages and locked bike rooms before.

bigatrop t1_j6ew70d wrote

So your bikes are sooooo wanted that they’re stolen outside, inside locked garages, and locked bike rooms? Are they made of gold? Are you the star of a bike theft movie? This just sounds absurd and made up.

drr71-2 t1_j6fbpyv wrote

Yeah.... no one has ever heard of bikes being stolen in the city and it could NEVER happen more than once!!. I'm sure you'd question a rape victim as well and blame them for "asking for it".

bigatrop t1_j6fk0gw wrote

Eh, I just think you’re a liar.

drr71-2 t1_j6ggksc wrote

And I think you're a horrible person for victim blaming if they don't let your criteria. Now go tell some women how they're "asking for it" by wearing something revealing.

bigatrop t1_j6ghjn3 wrote

Just so we’re on the same page, you think having your bike stolen is the same as being raped? Jesus dude. Just because your story is so obviously fake doesn’t mean that anyone questioning it doesn’t believe the victim of a violent sexual crime. Step back into reality, please.

drr71-2 t1_j6giia6 wrote

You're the one victim blaming... now move along little fella. The world does not have to justify itself to meet your approval.

WuPacalypse t1_j676kvq wrote

Move to Arlington then since it seems like you solely are being targeted in the city. Oh wait, then you’d complain about consultants right?

drr71-2 t1_j67imkw wrote

Making stuff up like that.... you must work for Fox news.

−3