Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

kenlasalle t1_j914lg0 wrote

Which is why we'll end this behavior right a- No! Of course, not! We just gotta mine!

CrackerWars t1_j91komx wrote

There is no underwater mining taking place.

−26

UndocumentedSailor t1_j92mtrw wrote

You're being downvoted but of course are correct. Just gotta read the short article.

"...where the ISA has granted 17 seabed mining exploration licences."

They will mine there, but not yet.

CrackerWars t1_j96eb1e wrote

Exploration license is different from permission to mine

well_uh_yeah t1_j910htm wrote

I'd be more surprised if it didn't disrupt them. Ever try to enjoy an evening at a restaurant with some friends while someone's kid is watching youtube at full volume on an iPad at the table next to yours?

GreenScrapBot t1_j91df3y wrote

Weirdly mild example...

More like trying to enjoy an evening at a restaurant while there's a building demolished across the street.

geophilo t1_j91yo1y wrote

We just have to fuck up every single thing on Earth.

[deleted] t1_j923fpi wrote

we gotta get that money!!!

Ganefr3 t1_j92q1fa wrote

Avatar is not realistic because in reality humans are much more greedy and unconcerned about destroying nature.

Flombosis t1_j91gnbp wrote

Not a fun time to be alive - we are just raping mother earth. It's really, really not a fun time.

It's sad how just one species of animal can make tons and tons of others just disappear after just a simple decade.

[deleted] t1_j91wwm5 wrote

[deleted]

JugularWhale t1_j92va1b wrote

I don't want to live through a special moment every week...

L-etranger t1_j931i04 wrote

“Wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo. “So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

autotldr t1_j90xcwz wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 80%. (I'm a bot)

> Noise produced by mining the seabed could interfere with whales' ability to communicate with one another, a study shows.

> Noise produced by mining the seabed could interfere with whales' ability to communicate with one another, according to a study released on Tuesday, just as plans to start deep-sea mining for battery metals gather pace.

> Mining is likely to produce noise across a range of frequencies that could travel hundreds of kilometres, the study said, interfering with marine mammals' ability to navigate using echolocation and disrupting the messages they send via whale song.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: mine^#1 seabed^#2 study^#3 whale^#4 Noise^#5

SirGlenn t1_j91ir74 wrote

Sound underwater, travels an amazing distance, harming and disorienting sea creatures of all kinds.

endadaroad t1_j9201ar wrote

Who is the International Seabed Authority and where did they get the right to grant mining and exploration rights in our oceans? Are they some bogus industry group or are they an actual government entity?

thegoatmenace t1_j921zlq wrote

It’s a treaty organization that was created under the UN convention on the law of the sea. It’s job is to regulate the use of the sea bed in accordance with the goals of the treaty: freedom of the seas and protection of the marine environment.

Haterbait_band t1_j92hsia wrote

In the same way, who decided whales get to hog certain frequencies of sound waves? Do they have their own FCC? Can I not play violin because birds might be confused by some of the sounds I make?

−4

PR4Y t1_j9ag6eh wrote

Relevant username. I'll do my part to help combat the downvotes. I thought it was funny 🤷‍♂️

zehydra t1_j91axu5 wrote

Alright, once more, from the top!

areolegrande t1_j91spir wrote

I'll just say that for the suffering people caused animals in general due to stupid shit like this which is like torture for sea life because they're so attuned, and sensitive to noises to where it's like taking away their hearing because guarantee this damages their hearing and if damaged enough they can't function properly so they either depend on the pod or die. I'm not sure why humans have to inflict cruelty when unnecessary particularly mammals humans shouldn't be entitled to much in terms of an afterlife

We got a lot to answer for :/

Healthy_Awareness_29 t1_j94ipco wrote

There has been a company sonar blasting off the coast of NJ/NY to map the ocean floor for an upcoming wind farm project - 9 dead whales since they started a few months ago. All blamed on “ship strikes” Link

Minnewildsota t1_j92mcjq wrote

I heard on good authority it was wind farms disturbing the whales.

dummary1234 t1_j94iqaf wrote

We disturb their daily beyoncé karaoke

__The__Anomaly__ t1_j91t2z0 wrote

Nah man. It just adds a sick basline to the whale songs!

Malf1532 t1_j93wmi7 wrote

City construction noise fucks with my daily routine so I wear a headset or earbuds constantly. We live on the same planet whales so get with the program.

icrushallevil t1_j949p0u wrote

Didn't Star Trek show us what happens when we disturb the whales?

Batcraft10 t1_j94jw7a wrote

Hopefully we can figure out space mining soon. I know it’s still pretty far off, but hopefully I can see it in my lifetime and it replaces some of the shit we’re doing here…

Until we find out we’ve been destroying some space animals habitat, but that’ll be like 10,000 years from now.

SeanConneryShlapsh t1_j914q5y wrote

The ocean covers what 71% of our world? I’m sure they’ll find somewhere else to go.

−24

TheJudgementIsDeath t1_j91r412 wrote

Hopefully, you do. The bottom of the ocean is nice this time of year.

SeanConneryShlapsh t1_j93k7xp wrote

Let’s calm down with the over dramatics. They literally just put out an article the other day how whales are resorting to fighting to mate instead of singing songs. Which has resulted in a booming whale population. Two negatives equal a positive. The emotional responses are ridiculous.