Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

essaitchthrowaway t1_j4z8f9e wrote

Pepperidge Farm was in CT?? TIL

Boring_Garbage3476 t1_j539mt6 wrote

It started in the kitchen of Pepper Ridge Farm by a mother who's child had health problems due to lack of nutrition. She learned how to bake whole wheat bread for him. The pediatrician was impressed with the bread and her son's improvements, so he started prescribing it for his patients. She grew it into a successful business.

coastal_girl14 OP t1_j5928eg wrote

Yes, although it is in fact Pepperidge Farm. Pepperidge is a type of tree.

IndigoGrunt t1_j4zarvi wrote

Damn I know some people who have worked in the factory for many years, hope they can find work soon or can retire.

psu1989 t1_j4zlw87 wrote

The factory is staying.

"Historic Pepperidge Farm HQ to exit CT for NJ with 170 jobs; bakery plant to stay"

bankofgreed t1_j50awir wrote

Pepperidge farms is part of the Campbell soup company which is HQ’d in Camden NJ. Makes sense they would want to consolidate offices.

ePuMa t1_j5q0ags wrote

Not exactly. The Campbell's Snacks division (which includes Pepperidge) is almost a completely different business entity from the meals and bev side.

IndicationOver t1_j500gcv wrote

usually people move business into a lower tax area, odd.

No-Coast-Punk t1_j508ipx wrote

Jersey isn't much better about the tax situation.

Pepperidge farm is part of a big conglomerate, and this move is probably just to consolidate admin resources now that all of the office jobs are getting automated away.

LizzieBordensPetRock t1_j5377jz wrote

One of their big competitors, international great brands, has a bunch of sites in NJ too. That may not be coincidence.

Whaddaulookinat t1_j519lj7 wrote

Hasn't been true since the 90s. Human capital is crucial and isn't cheap.

ertebolle t1_j50dwld wrote

It's a pretty good location, across the street from Whole Foods and just over the border from Westport - I suspect that they'll either expand the apartment complex next door or replace it with medical offices or some such.

coastal_girl14 OP t1_j52mp91 wrote

Yea, like everything else in Ffld County. Lol. Medical office bldg after medical office bldg, and apartments....

CTrandomdude t1_j50b0um wrote

How pissed off are those employees. Going from one high cost/tax state to an even worse state. You could have literally picked any other state and you move me to Jersey!!

ePuMa t1_j5pzp2b wrote

As an employee impacted, I can tell you that everyone is very pissed off, hah! Almost no one is taking the relocation to NJ.

QueenOfQuok t1_j50yz73 wrote

We will remember Pepperidge Farms.

jk660r t1_j512oo1 wrote

Pepperidge Farm headquarters was in Norwalk. Around 2002 they built a new plant in Bloomfield, CT. My company has been a contractor on-site ever since opening. They make breads, croutons and stuffing in Bloomfield.

jk660r t1_j512v65 wrote

Recently absorbed by Campbell Snacks

coastal_girl14 OP t1_j52mg3b wrote

Yes, but they still have a presence in Norwalk. They're off the Post Rd near Whole Foods.

shannerd727 t1_j50h4cs wrote

Is it worth a visit/tour?

coastal_girl14 OP t1_j52na1b wrote

They have had open "tour" dates as part of the Garden Conservancy. But they're not always on the schedule of open gardens. You can check through the Conservancy's website. They usually start tours May/June and then again in Autumn. If you can get in it's a really beautiful site. Privately owned.

Last-Instruction739 t1_j4zwbme wrote

You’ve heard of a sandwich artist…here is a toast artist?

coastal_girl14 OP t1_j52or5z wrote

There are artists that use feces, so is toast really so far-fetched?😆

jk660r t1_j54romj wrote

From what I was recently told the Norwalk facility will be permanently closing in the near future.

HartfordResident t1_j55o3v9 wrote

That's too bad but at least the Hartford area facility is growing.

AndiLivia t1_j525m28 wrote

Their bread has been dry as shit lately anyway. Later nerds

BryanCalens2ndFamily t1_j51qpdy wrote

Not surprised, business was booming during the Trump years, what’s different now?

−2

ePuMa t1_j5q03k4 wrote

This is an quite the uninformed comment. Campbells, and especially Campbell's Snacks division is continuing to exceed expectations. They just hit a 5 year stock high.