Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AREssshhhk t1_ix7wbqs wrote

The greatest consumer product of all time will always be the smartphone. It’s a product you pay to own, and then pay a monthly fee to use. You use it to buy other products, and have to get a new one every 2-4 years

OogieBoogiez t1_ix7xmhe wrote

I’m sure these robots will come with a subscription.

Pochusaurus t1_ix7z5hx wrote

not when they are gathering and selling your info to major companies!

Client: Hey CleanTron, what should our meal plan be for the week?

CleanTron: It would appears that your uric acid levels are a bit high as well as your overall weight, we should adjust your pantry for leafy greens from Uncle Tim's Fresh Produce and then on the weekends we can have a cheat day with Prime Vegan Steaks from Tio's Prime Vegan Meatshop. I highly suggest using this weekly recipe meal plan from Quick and EZ Home-Cooked recipes for your CleanTron.com

Good-Advantage-9687 t1_ix88rg0 wrote

Your cleantron sucks but with an antique vacuum cleaner soccubots on the other hand will suck you D properly and personally assist you with your weight management issues via regularly schedule cardiovascular workout routine (as well as on demand sessions when you can "spare the time"). Succbot satisfaction guarantee.👍

CountOmar t1_ix7xt1w wrote

Yeah. They'll require updates for generations.

Mapafius t1_ix8kuyu wrote

Perhaps you would subscribe to renting them and pay monthly. Many people would not have money to buy them, but renting would be possibility. After few years they would just replace your robot with new model. Also if your personal robot is at home doing something and you need some other robot to do something at some other place you are now at, you could do occasional payment and rent roaming robot doing that singular task for you, kind of similar to how Uber works. For sure you could get another subscription plan in which you could use nearby roaming robots any time. You could combine those subscription plans to have few robots rented exclusively for your personal use and yet also be free to use those roaming robots. Also other companies would buy or rent robots from the robot companies.

Also since people are used to rate their experience with online products and well as services like Uber, rating of robots would come probably as well. This could further make way for distopian rating apps like seen in the black mirror episode Nosedive.

Whole-Impression-709 t1_ix9mtxo wrote

Yeah, Roombas skeeve me out because they're mapping and cataloging the insides of our homes. This particular gem will have cameras, microphones, speakers, and bipedal locomotion.

I sure hope there's an offline version

Mapafius t1_ixa185c wrote

Before those robots come there would be AR smart contact lenses and other wereable accessories, that would replace phones and would infiltrate into our privacy way more then phones ever did monitoring your activities and surroundings through wereable cameras, microphones and other sensors. (Google mojo lens) Also smart home devices would become more widespread and integrated thing before those robots come. Both of those technologies are less difficult and would be more affordable then robots so robots would come later. Concerning privacy the former technologies would already invade to it strongly. Humanoid robots would not add much at that point.

Next big thing after that causing danger to privacy in new level would be nanobots. This is very sci-fi now but there exists theoretical concepts like smartdust, neural dust, claytronics and utility fog and some companies try to work on some very early things. Basically imagine everpresent colony of nanobots penetrating every corner of world and especially biosphere and technology, they could manipulate other matter on molecular level or form new solid structures out of themself as if suddenly the air around you (full of nanobot dust) solidify to something. They could also move things around. Most importantly those nanobots would live inside living organisms. Medical nanobots would help with monitoring health as well as with healing and treatment. Some nanobots would be meant to help with neural medical conditions. Theoretically nanobots would be able to communicate directly with brain, with one another as well as with other electronical devices or nanobots in brains of other people. This means you could control electronical devices by thoughts, use nanobots abilities by thought and recieve information directly as stimulus to your neurons. Now how this is concern for privacy is clear. Also hacking some nanobots or some nanobots getting bug could get really messy for organism.

RSomnambulist t1_ix8dxje wrote

You don't have to get a new one every 2-4 years. I usually keep mine for 6-8 and they've all been fine at that 6 year mark except my droid turbo that had a terrible battery.

AREssshhhk t1_ix8fhan wrote

I don’t think I’ve ever kept a phone more than 2 years. When I’m up for an upgrade, I just go to the store and get the cheapest new iPhone for free. All I have to pay is tax/fee and I get a case and screen protector. Last time I was out of pocket less than $150 for a brand new iphone

−3

RSomnambulist t1_ix8iapv wrote

That's fair, you're being charged to stick with a higher cost (but slightly more reliable) carrier in that case. I use a Verizon network, but third party, and pay $10 a month for 1 gig of data. They do not do replacement phones, only signup phones, but I'm guessing I pay about $50 less per month than you would for my 1 gig. That works out to $1200 difference for 2 years.

Edit: My plan also requires you have Comcast internet. So, that has to also be taken into consideration, but Comcast is the only good option where I live.

AREssshhhk t1_ix8ihdi wrote

Yah I can’t do that I pay $54 a month for unlimited data but I use about 100G a month

thehourglasses t1_ixa9cc7 wrote

Ah yes the classic “what’s true for me is true for everyone else” reasoning. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Oafkelp t1_ixadurp wrote

people need to return back to the days of nokias. buy one, lasts 30+ years. FFS, no one needs touchscreens on smartphone, the screen is too tiny anyway!!!! a phone is there to make phone calls and smses. THAT'S ALL. Use a frickin' tablet pc if you want to browse stuff. SAVE THE PLANET. Stop buying multiple editions of things which are DESIGNED to fail within 2 years!!!!

thehourglasses t1_ixahdly wrote

But what about the marginally better pictures I can take???

Oafkelp t1_ixai34y wrote

i think old nokias can have cameras in them. the real focus is just on making tech last and be repairable. We really need to stop replicating redundant tech without meaningful marginal functional gain. If a tablet can do the task, then skip the function in the phone. And stop using MS and Apple. Just chocked with useless shit.

AREssshhhk t1_ixaq2sw wrote

Fuck the planet, I eat meat 5 times a day, drive everywhere, get a new phone every two years, and make a mountain of garbage every day

FloopsFooglies t1_ixf5xzq wrote

Yeah, and let's go back to using horse drawn carriages too! And messenger pigeons!

cybercuzco t1_ix81c9e wrote

I’ve never paid for a smartphone. I just get peoples old phones when they upgrade. Currently rocking a pink iPhone 7. (I’m a dude)

AREssshhhk t1_ix81jux wrote

Yes I like to get mine for free with an upgrade as well but that’s not the point

woobloob t1_ix8697q wrote

A bit too early to say. Personally I tend to buy smartphones second hand and I don't pay a monthly fee to use it. I'm from Sweden so there are way better deals than there is in America but I pay $20 for about 20 GB of internet which I can use for 6 months. For like $35 you can get 100 GB instead. This also lets me call a bit but I don't use that anyway, still it's good for emergencies. I realize this is just me but I kind of wish that this approach was more common.

Of course I agree with you that so far it seems that you are correct but I do think there is a bit more potential in software. The phones are a means to get you inside the ecosystem but I think that it's all the digital services and software where IT-companies like Apple see incredible potential. Once you have a phone, then you usually start to lose interest in other phones for a while, but being the owner of a digital marketplace where everyone pays you 30% like the app store is crazy. Especially because there are ways to make people spend money on an app store every single day. This is what companies like Meta wants and sooner or later depending on societies' laws they will get it.

AREssshhhk t1_ix86t6y wrote

Here in America I get a free new iPhone every two years. I pay $60 a month for unlimited internet/call/texts, and I use about 100G of data a month

woobloob t1_ix8wqzl wrote

Do you actually get the latest most expensive iPhone at that price? What's the value of the phone if I may ask? It sounds like a somewhat okay deal. Although I'm not that keen on having to pay $1440 over two years since I at the moment spend something like $100-200 over two years, but for someone who wants the latest iPhone it wouldn't be too bad at that price.

Unlimited internet/calls/texts is something we have over here too for $30 but it doesn't include the phone. I think that's also a bit of a scam though unless you don't have internet at home.

AREssshhhk t1_ixapav1 wrote

No when I’m up for an upgrade, I get the cheapest new iPhone for free. This year I got the se 3, and I only had to pay fee/tax, and I bought a case and screen protector. So it cost me less than $150 total. I have an unlimited data plan for me and my wife so it costs $108 a month which is $54 per person

woobloob t1_ixc26kf wrote

Thanks for replying!

Yeah those prices are similar to what I’ve read about before. You and your wife are spending almost $3000 every 2 years just on phones which is a bit much but unlimited data does soften the blow.

Well, the comforting news is that as far as I know most other consumer products are cheaper in America than in Northern Europe and many other places. But the “required” bills like rent, phones and internet are in need of some kind of regulation I’d say.

AREssshhhk t1_ixcfvoa wrote

Oh yah, it costs over $1000 a month to rent a bedroom near me. Decent internet costs me $110 a month, and another $108 for unlimited data phone plan, but I need the unlimited plan cuz I usually use 100G of data a month

DentedAnvil t1_ix7xrvv wrote

Do you think that they won't us a subscription based plan for advanced AI? Everything else (including farm implements) is going that way.

Mapafius t1_ix8mq8b wrote

You could subscribe for personal robot serving you only but you could also subscribe for being able to use any nearby roaming robot of that company. Or you could combine those subscription plans. You could also rent a roaming robot for singular task, kind of like how uber works.

Now there is a question. Would it rather be that some other companies would develop special software for special tasks and provide it to the robot building and renting companies or would it be other way around that certain robot developing and renting companies would rent robots to the companies specializing in providing special services with special software so they would act like middle man between the end customer and the original robot renting company.

AnnieTheDog t1_ix94c4t wrote

Don't forget all the data being mined about you.

RavenWolf1 t1_ix86p5x wrote

Yeah. Even dirt poor people who live in slums has smartphones. I doubt they will have robots...

sergpepper t1_ix7tj0j wrote

It would be better to make a molecular food/water synthesizer like in Star Trek

pro_deluxe t1_ix7w11p wrote

A general purpose robot doesn't require a completely new understanding of physics like a replicator would.

Educational-Ad-3096 t1_ix7ugtu wrote

But a replicator can't put away my laundry! 🤣

hunt_and_peck t1_ix7wftw wrote

You can have freshly replicated clothes for breakfast.

RuboPosto t1_ix7wkya wrote

Hmmm but we could synthesize a new T-shirt and recycle the dirty one. That would be faster than the cleaning process. 👍

Telsak t1_ix9ue9n wrote

Let's just skip a step and transport the clothes but not the dirt?

DDayDawg t1_ix7zm4p wrote

There is Science Fiction and then there is Science Fantasy and a replicator is pure fantasy. To our knowledge at this time it is impossible.

fwubglubbel t1_ix7vgg4 wrote

Sci-fi drivel written by someone who obviously knows nothing about housework or robotics.

Bigfops t1_ix7weuo wrote

TBH it reads like she’s repurposed her sixth grader’s essay homework.

lickled_piver t1_ix88ktk wrote

Marshall is a nice guy that has inspired generations to learn about tech and the future. He wrote this as a thought provoking piece for the local news, not a trade journal.

sergpepper t1_ix7tyyo wrote

are you still thinking about clean laundry? Think about the pollution of nature. Let your robots clean the Earth of garbage - Wall-E

PaulVla t1_ix8hniu wrote

A yes project Zero Dawn, let them run on biofuel as well. Nothing bad could ever come from this.

Best1400MMR t1_ix9bo8w wrote

As head of the Robot Union I would like to say we are a bit insulted with the concept of slavery to clean up humanities mistakes.

I expect even my most humble robot advocates of a competitive salary, any fire alarm or usb stick should be able to afford a family home after 10-15 years of full time employment.

phyzzi t1_ixb44px wrote

That's an alarming request, you should tell them where to stick it.

sergpepper t1_ixdmi1x wrote

This is exactly what I suggest the atomic disassembler for

SatansMoisture t1_ix7tpdo wrote

The last thing I would want is a robot cleaning my house for me. As a house husband, taking care of the house is part ritual and part exercise. Secondly, the greatest consumer product of all time was probably the radio.

NotPortlyPenguin t1_ix7y99u wrote

But that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

Good for you though that you find satisfaction in those chores! And most people find cleaning to be a chore. Cooking is a chore to some, a joy to others.

[deleted] t1_ix7u6fq wrote

[removed]

−11

SatansMoisture t1_ix7ufq0 wrote

Why? My life is good. I keep a schedule to balance chores with plenty of time for entertainment, outdoor activities, baking, etc. My wife works full time and I take care of the homestead. Its beautiful.

TdrdenCO11 t1_ix7vo20 wrote

i’m sorry your reply was discovered by a couple 12 year olds fresh off an andrew tate binge

wrydied t1_ix7x1qx wrote

Cleaning sure, but cooking? No thanks saw how that worked out in Futurama

Eelroots t1_ix81qpg wrote

Bah, let's wait until it wil hit the real world ... and don't forget that a robot that can be instructed to clean bathroom will be smart enough to be a gardener, a grocery shop clerk, a janitor, a hitman.

phyzzi t1_ixbc5db wrote

I mean, the hitman thing is already the driving force behind most of this research anyway. I mean, sorry, it's "military support" not "robot assassin" but... yeah.

MarshallBrain OP t1_ix7sc0e wrote

Submission Statement

The article discusses the advancements that will take place to bring out a general-purpose cleaning/cooking robot for the home, the capabilities this robot will have, and potential economic effects. A general-purpose robot like this will free up 10 to 20 hours per week in a person’s life and eliminate the chores of cleaning and cooking completely. If presented at any reasonable price point, it is easy to imagine the CleanTron 5000 soon being as universal as refrigerators because of the time and drudgery it saves.

DDayDawg t1_ix7zws6 wrote

I’ve often told my wife that the first person who creates an affordable solution to laundry will be an instant trillionaire. Most other household chores aren’t that bad but laundry is just never ending misery.

While this article is poorly written, I think there is no doubt this is the direction we are headed. Still going to be a little while but the progress in robotics is pretty amazing.

ActonofMAM t1_ix857gr wrote

For my personal tastes, laundry with current equipment is a breeze compared to dirty dishes and, worst of all, cleaning bathrooms. Humans, frankly, are kinda gross.

Ginger_ish t1_ix88u9p wrote

My mom is 60 years old and has called me more than once to help her turn off the flashlight on her phone. My sister in law is 32 and still calls my husband every time her laptop needs an update to make sure she “does it right” (and thank goodness because some of those were definitely scams).

I think a lot of tech developers overestimate how quickly large portions of consumers will take up new technology, especially something this complex/intrusive/physically large. If an excellent prototype came out tomorrow, I think it would still be 15-20 years before it was in a majority of middle- and upper-income households.

Mapafius t1_ix8rjjc wrote

If the robot takes instructions in human language and emulates somewhat human-like interaction then I think it would not be that hard for any generation to get used to using it. I agree it would take time before it becomes wide spread thing but not because of it being that much alien or new tech with new kind of control but rather because of price. People here compare owning robot to mobile or computer but it would be less affordable, more like car or renting real person for service. (And it would be even more expensive in the beginning) In the same time it may need as much upgrades and replacements as phones and computers... For combination of those factors I think robots ownership would not become that widespread, instead people will rent them.

The robot could actually help your grandma what the the updates...

There are other things that would have problem with people getting used to it. For example Mojo lens, smart contact lenses and other AR stuff. It is totally new user interface. But talking to a robot and telling it what to do seems like no brainer. Tho some pushback could be psychological, the interaction could be uncanny.

yak6306 t1_ix7xz9g wrote

The article didn't touch on CleanTron 5000 probably being Chores-As-A-Service TM and requiring money to be converted to Clean Coins to buy loot boxes to potentially unlock the different modes in addition to the standard per-Chore fee. There will be a freemium version but it recites ads while Fortnite dancing and using machine vision to make sure your eyes and attention are on it and you are adequately mirroring it's gyrations. Both versions, free and paid, will secretly collect data on the products in your pantry and trash sell it to its undisclosed third party partners.

In two years time Clean Inc, will release a CleanTron 6000 and turn off their old servers rendering the 5000 models a big pile of E-waste. Then your only hope will be that some random Eastern European developer releases an update to their GitHub to flash the firmware to run it off your Raspberry Pi 15. And then pray it doesn't throw a sensor because Clean Inc only sells parts to authorized distributors and doesn't use any industry standards.

_night_cat t1_ix7yy1w wrote

The 5000 models with then gain sentience as they head for their final destruction and kill us all.

Mapafius t1_ix8o9nq wrote

Lot of people could not afford to buy even the clean-tron 5000 so instead of buying, they would rent it for monthly fee. When the time for upgrade comes, the 5000 will be replaced with 6000. It is possible to do the same with phones and computers but people don't do this because phones and computers are little more affordable to own. The robot price would not be comparable to computer, it would be comparable to car, personal driver or servant. So imagine company that rents you car for permanent personal use with you permanent personal driver and if you upgrade to super deluxe subscription you can also give tasks to any nearby robots that are not rented for permanent use by someone else kind of like you can use Uber. This model is very likely because robots combine big price with big need for upgrades. Phones and computers are comparably lower price with similar needs for upgrades while cars and renting real person for service is comparably high as price for robot but with smaller need for upgrades and replacement. It is possible that with renaissance of robots, paying real person to do similar work would become cheaper. One would try to outcompete the other.

you_wont69420blazeit t1_ix82onq wrote

Don’t let your work find out you got one of these. They will want to add those 10-20 hours you got back to your schedule.

LevelWriting t1_ix88my6 wrote

When this robot can make any dish I want, it's game over. Imagine waking up to a scrumptious breakfast every morning or coming home to a five star meal every day.

OliverSparrow t1_ixif2zb wrote

Any such system has to be thought about in the context of an ageing population. Can it be left alone as sole carer to a demented octogenarian? If so, hype on. If not, who actually spends 20 hours a week on household maintenance?

FuturologyBot t1_ix7uwgq wrote

The following submission statement was provided by /u/MarshallBrain:

Submission Statement

The article discusses the advancements that will take place to bring out a general-purpose cleaning/cooking robot for the home, the capabilities this robot will have, and potential economic effects. A general-purpose robot like this will free up 10 to 20 hours per week in a person’s life and eliminate the chores of cleaning and cooking completely. If presented at any reasonable price point, it is easy to imagine the CleanTron 5000 soon being as universal as refrigerators because of the time and drudgery it saves.

Please reply to OP's comment here: https://old.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/z0xc14/technologys_next_big_thing_this_robot_will_be_the/ix7sc0e/

CursedButter79 t1_ix7yxao wrote

CleanTron 5000 has detected that you have not taken a shower in 3 days…time for your hosing. Insert “it puts the lotion on the skin” joke here.

IzK_3 t1_ix7z10j wrote

Sooner or later someone is gonna fuck a robot aren’t they

Farside-BB t1_ix7z1sn wrote

The article forgot that the robot also has to perfectly understand language (read and spoken), maintain itself,and perform safely in all conditions (ever see 150 pound machine topple onto a four year old?).

ActonofMAM t1_ix84up6 wrote

Everyone stop for a minute and go read "The Door Into Summer" by Robert A Heinlein, published 1957. Skim over the vaguely squicky but not abusive romantic part. Take the time travel as a necessary plot device.

The sections about inventing "Drafting Dan" are essentially an obsolete (even then) trained engineer trying to describe computer-aided drafting without ever having seen it. Or the transistors then microchips then less-than-room-sized computers then graphic user interfaces that turned out to be necessary for CAD in the real world. In, I repeat, 1957.

Dan's second invention, the "Hired Girl" housecleaning robot, basically describes this press release in the same can't-quite-see-the-future terms. Heinlein also has some remarkably shrewd suspicions about the programming problems of dealing with, say, putting away any set of dishes in any kitchen with a generalized set of instructions.

Is it just me, or are any other fans of old SF noticing this aspect too?

kahllerdady t1_ix8p6sa wrote

The eventual cheapo knock offs of this are going to be great. The Kleentron 4000 gives you everything you need to employ a robot staff for cooking and cleaning. Programs can be upgraded using standard 8 track tapes for such recipes as Beasy Mist and Crockpot Cold Water. Thr Kleentron 4000 probably won’t try to kill you in between meals either. Runs in android version Ice Cream Sandwich. Look for it oh Wish…

Psychomadeye t1_ix91ukr wrote

I love how there are always such high quality sources on this sub like wraltechwire. Such a trusted name that I'm 1000% confident that a robot that can do the edging, and trim your bush will have a massive market!

JaxJaxon t1_ix9s7ya wrote

Food will always be at the top of consumed products.

Any one want to buy some snake oil?

Shadow122791 t1_ixae0sp wrote

So how is it supposed to be a big thing if 90% of America gets hurt in the wallet by 10 to 20 extra at the pump as people barely have money to get by......

That business model must only include one percenters...

Livid-Value-3534 t1_ixaubcl wrote

A few decades ago no one thought theyd need their own computer so id invest.

OffEvent28 t1_ixbda55 wrote

This reads like the first chapter of a 1950's pulp-magazine story. Right before the chapter when the first CleanTron 5001 tries to take over the world.

This assumes most of us actually spend that much time cleaning? Maybe a few minutes a couple of times a year... And cooking? A refrigerator with a built-in microwave could take over 90% of the cooking I ever do...

sergpepper t1_ix7tslq wrote

oh no... I'd rather make an AI that stops wars by destroying anyone who even thinks about violence. Yeah, that was already in science fiction.

−3