Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Suspicious-Elk-3631 t1_j1v1foj wrote

This sounds like something only rich people from first world countries would say.

Krednaught t1_j1v1o2q wrote

People dieing from curable ailments but can't afford them feeling real dumb right now. /s

Initial_E t1_j1wqpbk wrote

Hey you’re a chemistry professor right? Why not use that knowledge to earn a few bucks and pay off your bills? See how changing your mindset helps?

Becomes the one who knocks

Krednaught t1_j20zvnl wrote

Ah yes I'll start up my RV and go get Jesse in my undies right away!

Pathorix t1_j1vy3bs wrote

Came here to say

Seems like what a rich person without financial worries would say lol

ShredGuru t1_j1wt56l wrote

That kid with brain cancer is sure about to show medical science the power of positive thinking!

Maddinoz t1_j1x702k wrote

Right, if you're not first world, a better quote I got from a fortune cookie is:

"Do what you can with what you have, where you are".

[deleted] t1_j1vddav wrote

Something something broken clock something twice a day

Chance_Literature193 t1_j1xe4pi wrote

I don’t like this post either, but you are definitely reading to much into. This is reads like the dude the rephrased a more poignant passage in a super generic and terribly worded way.

Let’s restrict “problems” to be things we can take action on. An Uber reasonable restriction to make while trying to problem solve. Then, this incredibly poorly worded generic truism holds in 1st and 3rd world nations.

DrunksInSpace t1_j1wxabf wrote

Sounds like NXIVM to me.

sometimes we abuse the word abuse, by calling something abuse that we have the power to define.

thatbrownkid19 t1_j1yfke7 wrote

Came here to say- sounds like something only the problem would say

LetterZee t1_j1vmehh wrote

Yeah. You're probably right. But people from those countries can also struggle. It's not helpful to measure our grief against another's.

−1

captain_nibble_bits t1_j1vr6l7 wrote

Not really. This is basically Stoicism. One of the leading Stoics was literally a slave. He didn't even own his own body. So, no this isn't something only for rich people.

−8

HI_IM_PLUTO t1_j1vvfo0 wrote

Then why didn't he change his mindset to get out of slavery? Sounds like he didn't have a good enough mindset according to your logic.

mfmllnn t1_j1w1wrp wrote

Because the mindset here is not this BS coaches want you to believe. The mindset that Stoicism presents is that you should not give things the control over you. If something bad happens, figure out if is something you can do to solve/repair/fix/improve. If there is a solution, calm down and don't let it ruin your day/life. There is nothing you can? Well, don't let it ruin your day/life too. It may be hard to believe, but how we react is more important than what happened. Understanding it requires maturity.

If you have the chance, try reading about Epictetus and his lessons. He lived about 2000 years ago in a complete different society, but his teachings still relevant, mostly because people behave the same despite the time and advancements we have.

HI_IM_PLUTO t1_j1w4cnq wrote

>The mindset that Stoicism presents is that you should not give things the control over you. If something bad happens, figure out if is something you can do to solve/repair/fix/improve. If there is a solution, calm down and don't let it ruin your day/life. There is nothing you can? Well, don't let it ruin your day/life too.

I agree with this but the original post and comment I replied do not seem to share this same concept. Or if they do they do not give a proper representation of the idea.

I have struggled a lot with my mental health and I really want stoicism to work but it seems I am incapable of participating or incompatible because of my experience. Or I could just not be practicing it correctly. I'm honestly not sure. Stoicism just feels invalidating and delusional when I do practice it

>If you have the chance, try reading about Epictetus and his lessons.

Thank you, I have wanted to read stoic literature before but I have trouble actually retaining information and attention when I read (most books in general) so I haven't actually read any stoic philosophy. Maybe I'll give it another shot :)

captain_nibble_bits t1_j1w6300 wrote

Hey mate. I certainly didn't want to talk down to or dismiss your struggles.

Mental health is a very difficult subject and Stoicism sure isn't some magical solution, but I found it to be really helpful to iron out the rough patches in life and I can agree with you that these modern oneliner quotes just don't work. It's like reading just do happy thoughts and be done with it. It ain't that easy.

Though I do agree with the general meaning of this quote just reading it won't help. Behind Stoicism is a lot of reading and daily mental practice before you can advance towards this outcome and even then 99.9% will never reach this goal. Though we do get better at it. And for me that's enough.

But this said, with some mental issues you need medication and/or therapy.

Greetings and wish you the best.

mfmllnn t1_j1whm6t wrote

Hey Pluto! Didn't mean to lecture you at all, sorry If it sounded like that. English is not my mother language. I've reading and practicing Stoicism for 3 years now and I started it while fighting depression. It helped me understand others and myself, to keep calm even when my days were dark and full of negative thoughts.

I know how our mental health is essential and there is no shame to talk about it. If you ever need someone to vent or share something, feel free to PM me. Sometimes the people around us have no empathy or the sensibility to understand our pain.

If you don't mind, I would like to suggest these two books

Enchiridion of Epictetus And MEDITATIONS: BY MARCUS AURELIUS

Epictetus was a slave while Marcus was a Roman Emperor. Both had the same philosophy about the things in life, even with all the differences and circumstances.

HI_IM_PLUTO t1_j1xd9ig wrote

Thank you. I appreciate your support. I definitely have a lot of work to do with my mental health.

I will be sure to check out the books you recommended. Is there a book I should read first?

mfmllnn t1_j220ka3 wrote

Hey! Marcus wrote for himself, Meditations are a collection of phrases and notes he wrote on his diary.
It can be a good start as it may help you perceive and understand yourself.

Epictetus taught on the streets and his lessons are more about life in society, good and bad things, how we could behave to avoid bad thoughts and pain caused by our reactions.

I'd recommend starting with Marcus Aurelius. Anyway take care of yourself, too will find peace too.

SuperRette t1_j1x279i wrote

Sounds like he just developed a coping mechanism that ensured he'd never try and free himself, but be "content" in his bondage. This is dangerous to propagate, and favorable to oppressors the world over.

Burnscars t1_j1vjjn7 wrote

This is a truism put very badly. Reality is more like, 'a shitty mindset will force multiply any problem, no matter how trivial, into an impassable wall.' It's disingenuous to assert that problems are all in one's head, but utterly factual to acknowledge that solutions must all be born there, and thus need the space to come to life.

SpaceLemming t1_j1vb3mt wrote

This is not true of real problems…

LetterZee t1_j1wkt4w wrote

This is a big piece of mental health problems (maybe no 90%) but mindset matters. That's not to say that dismissing someone and saying cheer up is helpful, but you have to want to change. It doesn't just happen.

SpaceLemming t1_j1wnd5e wrote

I once got into a car accident by sliding through a red light at like 20mph because I was too poor to afford new tires, the collision bent my front axle totaling my car. The insurance tried to scam me and increased my already paid off premium for 6 months and dropped me when I was unaware of their actions. This resulted in not having a car for months and forced to walk to work and school or bum rides where I could. This was a massive problem to my normal routine and absolutely nothing about my mindset was the problem.

A lot of problems are simply not having the resources to handle the issue in front of you or not having the required knowledge. Saying it’s a mindset is victim blaming garbage.

LetterZee t1_j1wtu7p wrote

I don't disagree with you that that is a big problem and one that wouldn't be fixed by mindset. All I'm saying is that there are a lot of problems thag do have a mindset component. Not diminishing what you've gone through, bur you have to meet people where they are.

For example, I'm doing alright in life but I've been miserable for decades because I could not get my intrusive thoughts under control. A big part of that for me required mental work. That'd all I'm saying.

SpaceLemming t1_j1wv26r wrote

I also suffer from depression. It’s not a choice or a state of mind, it’s just how my brain functions.

LetterZee t1_j1wv7bw wrote

Well I wish you the best. Sorry things are so tough.

greentr33s t1_j1wxsco wrote

You can still try and be mindful about the feelings even when you can't control them, you can identify where they come from and if they are irrational with practice. Nothing is going to be a one stop solution and that's basically the premise of the quote even if said with terrible wording. I have ADHD and depression so I get where you are coming from but it doesn't detract from the lesson or what learning mindfulness can aid with. When you got into your crash I am sure your world was flipped and any of those feelings you had intensified, but it's important to note why and where those feelings are coming from if you want to move to a point of equilibrium. The feelings may never disappear but the levels at which you give them control over yourself can be managed so you can enjoy life faults and all. I implore you to look into mindfulness as someone who suffers from a couple different mental illnesses I can't recommend it enough as a means to become comfortable with your self. I hope this helps, and remember you got this shit. You been through a lot and still kicking so I'm fucking proud of you!

onewilybobkat t1_j1xd32v wrote

LMAO yeah bro chemical imbalances are just a state of mind. ARE YOU FUCKING DAFT!?

LetterZee t1_j1xj3pr wrote

No, but you might be dense. Where did I say that? If you don't think there is a sunjective.component to mental health I don't know what to tell you

onewilybobkat t1_j1xk42r wrote

"This is a big piece of mental health problems" no it's a symptom of your mental health. Your mindset doesn't mean shit when you don't even have a sense of personality and your brain literally controls your mindset

−1

joan_wilder t1_j1y8q3w wrote

Real problems, or real reactions? Because the problems are our reactions, not the problems. Or are the reactions to the reactions the reactions? I miss the good ol’ days when words had meanings.

nestcto t1_j1vjwwv wrote

So the knife in my chest isn't the problem. The problem is my reaction to it, which is to bleed out and die.

...huh, the analogy still kinda works there.

Majestic_Affect3742 t1_j1val4p wrote

My problem is still capitalism, and only after changing my mindset was I able to actually understand the problem.

Nemo4evr t1_j1wepd4 wrote

So in other words is ALL YOUR FAULT for not succeeding in life, your poor grades. . . . YOU, not the underfunded school system, getting robbed . . . YOU not the understaffed police system, house burned down. . . YOU, your miserable life . . . YOU, not your abusive parent getting drunk or high and beating you to an inch of your life, getting raped. . . YOU, is the dress you are wearing, maybe if you did not show so much skin or leave the house . . . but wait there was the relative that lives in your house. . . etc etc etc

Infinite_Context8084 t1_j1vru62 wrote

As a mid 20s adult with clinical depression and anxiety, my mindset is one of the most significant things that impact my life. And letting my healthy, boundaried-mindset slip to a people-pleasing, "everything must get done" led to a mental collapse that almost killed me. I'm taking FMLA leave mostly so I can reestablish that healthy mindset. I understand this is a really privileged view and position, because a lot of people can't take that step back, but my point is more the way you think about something, affects how it affects you, to a point.

Somestunned t1_j1wug0q wrote

So if our reaction is the problem, but also the problem isn't the problem, doesn't that make our reaction NOT the problem?

Dfndr612 t1_j1x11e8 wrote

This is what scammy influencers say when trying to sell you their overpriced motivational talks that contain no substantive real information.

SuperRette t1_j1x20bh wrote

"The problem isn't the problem."

What the fuck is this bullshit?

BestWukongUganda t1_j1yit0s wrote

It's worded badly, but I assume he means that we suffer more in imagination than in reality, which is entirely true.

Freedom35plan t1_j1v2bdz wrote

Once I realized that my greatest enemy was myself, and that only I can beat me, my outlook was immediately different.

Edit: Kevin Gates says it well - My only problem in life was overcoming myself, and once I defeated myself, the only thing left was peace.

Beau-is-champ t1_j1vo4ki wrote

Yep. My mantra has always been, you hurt me and I hurt me back worse.😔

Accomplished-Ad-8387 t1_j1wgtix wrote

Some people have way bigger problems than other people and it's extremely annoying when privledged people say shit like this, but it's still kind of true to be honest.

KnitBrewTimeTravel t1_j1wt04v wrote

You know, that's all very well and good.

But if I was paid a mere $60K a year that I got from my full-time job as well as the assurance that if I ever got sick it wouldn't cost me and my entire family our entire net worth, I would be a lot more well-adjusted than I am now while "reacting" to the realities required to survive.

After my most recent Christmas bonus (and gotta say- lucky me!), I now have enough money to see the Eye doctor for the first time in three years. You know - eyes? Those things I use every day to see things? Why are they considered a luxury item?

Zero_Life_Left t1_j1wz61x wrote

And 73.4% of statistics are made up.

Roderykz t1_j1x2l04 wrote

Mind of inspiring but also, somewhat downplaying some problems.

Climate change is not the problem, is your mindset. Creppling debt is not the problem, is your mindset.

smell-the-roses t1_j1xba44 wrote

Having wealthy parents, good connections and good health also help.

cupareo98 t1_j1w84v5 wrote

Tell that to my ex

zebrahdh t1_j1wkk8v wrote

Throw money at the problem. If your money isnt good enough, throw your dad’s.

RanCestor t1_j1wl5py wrote

There is no problem if we decide so.

storyfilms t1_j1wm3qq wrote

Try and tell my daughter that!

shinymusic t1_j1wo517 wrote

Taken a step further there is no such thing as problems.

facts_are_things t1_j1wzroa wrote

if our reaction to the problem is the problem, then there IS no problem.

Maybe YOU are the problem?

keller104 t1_j1xkj66 wrote

Dude really just ripped off THE Captain Jack Sparrow…you’re not slick

RICHARDTICKLR t1_j1xl49l wrote

Ya know... Back when the internet was free, I used to download videos of very violent spats of the worst kind of human behavior. I even had a Facebook page dedicated to the idea of freedom, in all it's forms.... More or less.... I used to download savage content and show it to my peers and coworkers, I'd usually laugh at their disgusted reaction when they would view it, cringe and ask me, "what's wrong with you?" and I would tell them, "The savagery isn't funny to me, It's horrifying. But seeing your reaction to it after hearing you tell me how "woke" you are is.

Ansh_lexus t1_j1xm93k wrote

Good thought - Appreciable

Pathoskeptic t1_j1y7dn6 wrote

Life is full of complete bullshit, I can't fit this piece anywhere, better forget it. What?

h-ed t1_j1y8iiw wrote

Nice quote. Probably something Stoic? But who is this guy, I'm sure this is not his quote.

mfza t1_j1ycea1 wrote

Stoicism

MusicForPleasure t1_j1yhbsc wrote

It’s not the sadness that hurts you. It’s the brains reaction against it 🎶

happy_he_happy_me t1_j1ysu5k wrote

He just rephrased what Captain Jack Sparrow says.

Ananas828 t1_j1ywqme wrote

Being deeply depressed, this subreddit is so hit or miss. Assuming this one was just badly worded😳

danamo219 t1_j1yzst9 wrote

This is some gaslighting bs

Sure_Translator_1787 t1_j1ws439 wrote

The irony of everyone in the comments whining about the message of the post while also being the intended audience.

Flakkweasel t1_j1x5qv4 wrote

You mean the people pointing out the painfully flawed logic of the OP and the place of privilege it comes from?

Sure_Translator_1787 t1_j1xl1k0 wrote

I mean everyone with a terrible grasp on reading comprehension and inability to interpret things for what they are.

MonthApprehensive480 t1_j1ygfv8 wrote

“My mom just died.” “Get a better mindset about that.”