Submitted by JimBones31 t3_yikk1n in Maine

Hey folks, would it be possible for any of us (me maybe) to go to a town meeting and ban political mailers townwide or is this some kind state protected free speech or something? I'm so tired of getting trash in the mail.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Longjumping_West_907 t1_iujcvkr wrote

Sorry to say it's all protected free speech. The only way I know to cut down on the mail you receive is to contact both political parties and ask to be taken off the mailing list. Tell them you know who you are voting for and they aren't going to change your mind. They will most likely ask who and it won't hurt to be honest. They don't want to waste money on decided voters. This won't help with unaffiliated groups that are working independently of the major parties. The other strategy is to vote absentee as early as possible. That won't affect mail but might cut down on robocalls. Although those seem to be less of an issue this year.

JimBones31 OP t1_iujiqbx wrote

I did something similar with credit card offers in the mail. It worked. Called them all individually

Fresh_Leadwater t1_iujaehm wrote

At the very least, get more imaginative regarding its usefulness. Print your ad on a thin kindling shingle. A microfiber cloth. A giant rolling paper. . . Otherwise, instant garbage.

uncommondiet t1_iuj3qsp wrote

Who do you think you are? Some kind of politician?

Seems like politicians love giving themselves their own set of rules (political robo calls, mailers, stock trading, etc).

I am completely behind you on this. Any chance this might affect our paper mills or local printing companies? That’s the only benefit I can see for us.

JimBones31 OP t1_iuj46mw wrote

Considering most politicians would pretty quickly choose any other paper source if they could keep a dime instead of supporting local industry, probably not.

raynedanser t1_iuji2jd wrote

Mine go into the recycling every single time.

Squidworth89 t1_iujm9fg wrote

Towns have no say over mail. That’s federal.

Bywater t1_iuj916t wrote

You going to be fighting the capitalist that print and distribute that shit and free speech laws. The not so secret part of our politics is how much money media in general makes off them, it's a racket in itself at this point that probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

demalo t1_iujiw0m wrote

So don’t attack the act of doing but the act of producing said items. Legislate rules that the materials must be made in Maine. The material must be burnable, recyclable, and reusable. Mailers must be mailed from within the state to primary residences.

If anything goes these damned things would be printed on styrofoam boards. Legislation that is sounds good or is a net benefit for the state is more likely to pass and become law.

Bywater t1_iujju2f wrote

I agree, they nothing but extra fire starter to me anyway, but if you made that play you would run afoul of the commerce clause. Your best bet would be charge them a fee to put out the signs you don't want, like a dime per shitty styrofoam sigh or something.

riefpirate t1_iujbasl wrote

I really dislike the fact that you are correct in everyway.

Smokin77 t1_iujgfer wrote

Crazy talk man. It would be too much common sense to drop the ads and mailers and use the millions to build affordable housing, just crazy talk.

TheDiceMan2 t1_iujtdjc wrote

i have a friend who’s a letter carrier and just the other night he was lamenting the fact that so many folks just leave the political stuff in the mailbox. so it makes it hard for him to deliver their mail on subsequent days. just something to think about when you get them,… apparently the boys in blue would prefer you throw them out

Phosphonothioic t1_iuj7wpq wrote

With all the talk about pollution in the state, all the signs and unsolicited mailers would be an easy place to start.

figment1979 t1_iuk0j0g wrote

One candidate for either state senate or state rep (I don't recall which, I just automatically throw them out upon arrival) actually sends my house THREE flyers every couple of days - one addressed to me, one addressed to the previous owners of our house (who last lived here May 2021) and the previous owners before THEM (not positive exactly when they last lived here, but I believe it's been at least three or four years ago). What a freaking waste.

Edit, wrong year.

JimBones31 OP t1_iuk4kw6 wrote

Crazy, you'd think the mailing lists would at least be somewhat accurate

Ironbird207 t1_iuk553l wrote

I feel you could pass a littering ban that bans plastic political signs, wouldn't go against free speech as they would still be allowed signs but would have to resort to using compostable/burnable signs instead. The side effect is those signs would cost more so their would be less of them. Plus you can burn them for heat in the winter.

fredezz t1_iuk789k wrote

Unfortunately the USPS has no choice but to deliver them...I tried with no success

78FANGIRL t1_iuj7con wrote

I would love to ban political signs as well. The farm stand in Orrington is an embarrassment to the state. My best friend comes home every year to that ridiculousness and wonders why the town allows it. It's not illegal.

FatRedDragons t1_iuj94g3 wrote

I don't understand the reference I guess. There's a farm stand you don't like?

78FANGIRL t1_iujad8i wrote

Route 15 in Orrington. They put up the most ridiculous political signs, along with tacky and ignorant political decorations as well. The actual farm stand isn't used and has not been open in decades (I have never seen it used as one, it sits empty). The signs and decorations are beside it.

FatRedDragons t1_iujamkn wrote

Ohhhhhh. Eh. Doesn't bother me I guess. I thought it was something totally different lol. Thanks.

JimBones31 OP t1_iujieov wrote

There's a house in Randolph near Gardiner that does that shit.

demalo t1_iujj5qr wrote

If the sign is within the right of way for municipal roads are they in fact public property? Does that mean I own those signs? Can I do what I want with them? Who is responsible for that sign on public property?

chickenispork t1_iujo38w wrote

It is very illegal to remove political signs on public property.

riefpirate t1_iujbkqv wrote

Get rid of the comercials all together if all they do is attack !! I want to know what you will do or where you stand stop the hateful rhetoric !!

DidDunMegasploded t1_iujeo6w wrote

I want them banned too, but it feels like a very complicated process.

In the meantime though, you could reuse or recycle them.

MegatonDeathclaws t1_iujl67w wrote

Yeah that and lawn signs, it’s a fuckin eye sore no matter who you support.

chickenispork t1_iujnr30 wrote

What and end the free pit fire kindling delivered right to my house? “Get outa here.” Lol

Lerch737 t1_iujtoba wrote

I legit have a milk crate below the mail slot for all these fucking flyers. Such a goddam waste

OriginalGordol t1_iujtpkq wrote

If you have a fire place or fire pit, they make good free fire starters.

Rettirk t1_iuji6zz wrote

I wish they would send them in black and white nonglossy print so I can use them as the firestarter they deserve to be

ImTotallyNotMessi t1_iuk8eea wrote

If only, my parents get them and it gets my Dad all fired up, kind-of annoying imo.

DamienSalvation t1_iujg6kl wrote

Free speech haters are funny. Maybe make the people sending them out pay for the cost of recycling but otherwise what's the actual problem?

−3

JimBones31 OP t1_iujiybe wrote

I think waste is a problem

DamienSalvation t1_iujkati wrote

That doesn't seem to be your main issue with it

JimBones31 OP t1_iujl8u7 wrote

It's a waste of every resource they use. I toss them in the recycling as soon as I get them. Someone is wasting money that they could be using for actual causes on filling my transfer station and recycling bin with paper.

mainlydank t1_iuk9teo wrote

mailing people junk is not free speech.

−1

therealwolfe1982 t1_iuk82ww wrote

I’m voting R from the top to the bottom this year….I tried it on the dark side in 2020, I get it with the Trumpster, he’s a dick and deserves to rot, but I can’t take the left seriously whatsoever. Don’t @ me

−7