Submitted by Golden_Bee_Moth t3_z1w8ky in Pennsylvania

Have to go to Sheetz because they are the ones who have Zapps voodoo chips, don't lean head against school bus window unless you want a concussion from potholes, went to Lancaster waitress confused when I said sunny side up eggs, can't go to Philadelphia prison museum cause siblings are scared, during a lesson I helped with at preschool where students made their own country and a flag for it one five year old drew gritty

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

RubberV t1_ixd40s0 wrote

Pro Tip: There is no heat inside at Eastern State Penitentiary so if you go for a tour in the winter bundle up.

Golden_Bee_Moth OP t1_ixd480f wrote

Will make sure to do that heh I bet some people say that it's cold cause of ghosts when really it's just an old building...I bet if my dad went there in winter he'd would continue to wear a t shirt

Itslehooksboyo t1_ixdhhzu wrote

My dad at most would wear a thin sweater, meanwhile I'm over here in a thick cardigan and leather jacket lmao

Golden_Bee_Moth OP t1_ixdhnm9 wrote

Yeah my dad in a joking manner has said that none of his kids are truly Pennsylvanians as we all hate the cold

Itslehooksboyo t1_ixdhsyf wrote

My dad was born in Michigan lmao, we joke that it's his Michigan blood at work keeping him warm

Golden_Bee_Moth OP t1_ixdhzl5 wrote

My mom is from Iowa during tornado warnings she'll just go outside tell us the clouds aren't green and then go back to whatever she was doing

Itslehooksboyo t1_ixdi5cm wrote

She really said "I'm built different" huh

Golden_Bee_Moth OP t1_ixdibtq wrote

No idea but the rest of my mom's side of the family does stuff like that to make sense though Iowa has a lot of tornadoes

C4bl3Fl4m3 t1_ixdisdl wrote

Even her own state says that's a myth. https://iowaweather.com/what-does-a-green-sky-mean/

Golden_Bee_Moth OP t1_ixdiwov wrote

My mom stands by it always says green tinted clouds means tornadoes

hufarted-me t1_ixe21wq wrote

As a feller from Kansas originally, I can at least confirm that the green cloud thing is widely believed.

Every tornado I have ever seen was preceded by green sky and hail, so I kinda understand where folks are coming from.

C4bl3Fl4m3 t1_ixdp68z wrote

Science has proven her wrong. You can find more websites on it if you like.

Being wrong at this means she could be DEAD wrong.

ScienceWasLove t1_ixgtybt wrote

You should read the article you quoted. Sure green skies don’t always lead to a tornado per the article, but the article doesn’t 100% dismiss the phenomena either:

“However, thunderstorms that are large enough to produce a green sky, often are severe enough where they end up producing large hail and even tornadoes.”

C4bl3Fl4m3 t1_ixhfw43 wrote

This is true, but the idea that you HAVE to have a green sky to have a tornado is more what's in question here. The absence of a green sky does NOT mean the absence of a tornado, and to bet on that means you could end dead.

SucksToYourAssmar3 t1_ixec62z wrote

On the other hand - I’ve found Pittsburgh folks GREATLY exaggerate how cold and snowy Pittsburgh is. It’s not North Dakota. It’s not even Buffalo.

YongbyonZebra t1_ixehsw8 wrote

It used to be a lot more snowy, young 'un (though it's never been Buffalo).

SucksToYourAssmar3 t1_ixeov6y wrote

I’m 38. It’s never been THAT snowy lol

−1

hostile_rep t1_ixdjkvv wrote

For what? 40° is BBQ weather in PA.

Hugsie924 t1_ixfe4dm wrote

I (grew up in philly)told my husband "it's warmer today, you don't need a jacket" he(originally from the west coast) says "how much warmer?"

Me:40 degrees Him:.........

rivershimmer t1_ixeyeyt wrote

Ain't nobody got nothing to say about a 40-degree day.

key2mydisaster t1_ixeb823 wrote

ESP is a cool place to visit. They are where the name penitentiary came from, and despite them supposedly trying to reform prisoners it was hell there..

The prisoners had zero communication with each other as they weren't allowed to talk and they were kept in concrete cells with closed double doors. The only window in their cell was a tiny skylight called 'the eye of god'

One of the times my husband and I went there back in the early 2000s and they had an art installation called "ghost cats" and there were life sized white cat statues placed around the prison because there used to be a cat or two back when it was a prison that lived there to catch mice.

Patiod t1_ixgjqjm wrote

Ghost cats? My husband worked there when it was first offering tours and we locked up some nights. That place used to be full of 3 spooky things: bats, rats and REAL cats

key2mydisaster t1_ixj8dc3 wrote

Yeah, it was a really cool art installation!

I think the spookiest thing is parking around there. Lol

Sounds like the cats aren't doing their jobs with those rats. Laziness.

redikulous t1_ixehma8 wrote

>my dad went there in winter he'd would

Just fyi - he'd = "he would" so you don't need to add the "would" after...

belgiumwaffles t1_ixdrx7s wrote

Kinda makes you wonder how horrible it was to be a prisoner there. I did a summer tour and it was ungodly hot. Can't imagine how cold the winter is.

Watchyousuffer t1_ixdz9rm wrote

well, it had heat. they just don't run it anymore

gamaknightgaming t1_ixfgyim wrote

Fun fact, one of the first buildings in the country (and possibly the world? Idk how old the technology is) to have radiator heating

Patiod t1_ixgjelm wrote

I worked one night many years ago at a precursor to the Terror Behind the Walls. It was so bone chillingly cold in those cells. So cold. God bless the people at London who sent over soup.

Escobarhippo t1_ixdbtlx wrote

It’s DIPPY eggs, silly.

Lululover412 t1_ixdi5ab wrote

I didn’t know this was a Pittsburgh thing until I mentioned it to friends from NY and TX and they looked at me like I was growing a third eye on my forehead haha

Alfonze423 t1_ixeblld wrote

It's a NEPA thing, too.

zorionek0 t1_ixf9ptq wrote

Yeah I was confused for a second. “Have I just imagined that’s what I call them?”

I find all PA’s local shibboleths endlessly fascinating, n’at.

momlin t1_ixed590 wrote

"Dippy eggs? WTF?????????" (Said in my native NY accent) lol.

ILikeMyGrassBlue t1_ixfypki wrote

It’s not. It’s PA Dutchie thing as well. It’s common all over the state.

Golden_Bee_Moth OP t1_ixdc1dy wrote

Seriously lived in pa my whole life only ever heard them called that when I visit Lancaster

Dredly t1_ixddin6 wrote

I didn't know what Sunny-side eggs were until I was in my 20s... it was always Dippy eggs

​

I'm from Monroe County

Golden_Bee_Moth OP t1_ixddvcc wrote

Huh feels kinda weird I mainly grew up in a rural area between dillsburg and Mechanicsburg

harrimsa t1_ixdiu3q wrote

We must be neighbors. I went to Northern and now my kids go to Northern. I live a mile from the Yellow Breeches.

Didn’t you go to any local diners growing up? At Wolf’s Diner and Bakers they call them Dippy Eggs.

Golden_Bee_Moth OP t1_ixdj14w wrote

Didn't really have local dinner if we drove a few miles we could go to the pickel nickel

shewy92 t1_ixdua42 wrote

How long has Baker's been open? It's right across the street basically

just_an_ordinary_guy t1_ixeazsk wrote

At least since I graduated high school. I used to work at the summer camp and we went to Baker's a bunch of times. So it's been 17 years.

girlgonegreen t1_ixf3u2k wrote

I also went to Northern and many of my friends have kids currently at Northern.

C4bl3Fl4m3 t1_ixdiyms wrote

You grew up in my neck of the woods! Cumberland County represent! I grew up between Boiling Springs and Mount Holly Springs.

shewy92 t1_ixdu5a7 wrote

I'm surprised you've never heard of dippy eggs then. I'm basically your neighbor (a little south of the Dillsburg Sheetz) but grew up in Chambersburg and that's what we called it

beautifulsouth00 t1_ixdm0uk wrote

Can confirm. Am from Pittsburgh. My aunt asked for "dippy" eggs at Eat n Park just last month.

WookieeSteakIsChewie t1_ixdhil8 wrote

Anywhere west of Harrisburg calls them dippy eggs.

Brightcab t1_ixdtyr5 wrote

I'm basically in valley forge and I've always said dippy eggs. I have had people who didn't know what tf I was talking about before, though.

p4nd3mic_27 t1_ixe2z34 wrote

I'm from Pittsburgh, never heard of a dippy egg until moving to the Wilkes Barre/Scranton area

rivershimmer t1_ixeyr11 wrote

Huh. Grew up in Pittsburgh calling them dippy eggs, at home and in restaurants.

Redlar t1_ixdenti wrote

>only ever heard them called that when I visit Lancaster

My mother always called them that but she grew up just across the border from Lancaster Co, down in MD

I grew up in the same area, that's all I've ever called them because I can never remember the proper term

While we're at it, what's your opinion on Scrapple? Growing up across the border from Lancaster, I've always had scrapple and love it.

Golden_Bee_Moth OP t1_ixdevlj wrote

Oh scrapple is great first time I had it was cause a restaurant messed up our delivery order I think it was pepper mill me and my sister are the only ones in our family that enjoy it

Trill_McNeal t1_ixe2slc wrote

Never heard that either. I grew up in south jersey and then central jersey, lived in the Lehigh Valley and now Chester county and work in Lancaster. I’m gonna have to ask at work about this.

rivershimmer t1_ixeyn52 wrote

Grew up outside of Pittsburgh, and they were always called dippy eggs.

Ancient_Boner_Forest t1_ixddlsz wrote

I’ve heard dippy eggs used to refer to just a fried egg over medium/soft though?

GawkieBird t1_ixe1qtf wrote

All right, I typed a whole thing in your defense and then wikipediaed before posting, and apparently a good portion of SEPA calls sunny side up "dippy" and over easy is something different.

I grew up in western suburbs of Philly and my family called over easy/medium "dippy" while sunny side eggs were something fancy that we didn't do at all.

I feel like a stranger.

But now both you and I know. I'm not sure why you were downvoted when someone could have just updated you but whatever, reddit.

ILikeMyGrassBlue t1_ixfyxgp wrote

I have never heard anyone in SEPA say dippy for sunny side up. I’m an hour outside of Philly, and dippy has always meant over easy/medium in my area too. Where are all the people in SEPA who say dippy for sunny side? Maybe wiki is wrong lmao.

nalgene_wilder t1_ixeadv8 wrote

Over easy is flipped so that the egg white becomes a little case around the yolk. Sunny side up leaves the yolk exposed

GawkieBird t1_ixeh2vi wrote

Yes. I now realize i had that explanation in the post i wrote but erased, but didn't rewrite it for the text i ended up posting. Thanks for the further clarification.

aust_b t1_ixdldui wrote

I caught myself while ordering eggs for breakfast in the Caribbean last week. Almost asked for dippy and then realized the poor server in turks and Caicos wouldn’t know wtf I was talking about

Hanpee221b t1_ixeueq0 wrote

For the second time in my life I now realize I would not have had a word in my vocabulary for anything other than a dip egg. The other time was when I was to Trader Joe’s and asked for a buggy and the worker had no idea what I wanted and I had no translation for it haha.

Round-Elderberry-872 t1_ixd8zvb wrote

I can't tell you how many times I was hit in the side of the head by the bus window just from being squished near it while sitting 3 to a seat. The potholes are no joke!

Itslehooksboyo t1_ixdho9w wrote

I learned that lesson myself after being on the high school marching band bus and trying to nap, only to get the living daylights smacked outta me

Canopenerdude t1_ixei7gl wrote

We used to sit in the back and try to bounce off the seat at the same time to fly up into the air.

I hit my head on the ceiling once.

JustAnotherSteucci t1_ixdnvr4 wrote

Arguing if its waaater or wooder and correcting myself to ATM and not MAC machine

Golden_Bee_Moth OP t1_ixdo1z3 wrote

The Mac machine is new to me

JustAnotherSteucci t1_ixdq29m wrote

MACs were all around philly until they were replaced by bank ATMs. Growing up my parents would only refer to that thing as a MAC machine. I didn't realize how local of a thing it was until I moved to NEPA and only like 3 people knew what I was talking about

heili t1_ixe7ctx wrote

They had MAC machines in the western part of the state in the 80s as well. MAC ... Money Access Center.

windwaker910 t1_ixduuvy wrote

This just unlocked a memory I forgot I had lol. Didn’t sink in until I said “Mac machine” aloud

Allemaengel t1_ixepo31 wrote

I live in NEPA but grew up in the Lehigh Valley back in the day and would've been the 4th you knew, lol.

Canopenerdude t1_ixei309 wrote

My Great Grandma called them Mac Machines! She was from Coatesville, maybe that's why.

oodja t1_ixdslyj wrote

Hahaha my mom will still say she needs to "tap MAC" when she is getting cash from an ATM.

teflondonna t1_ixe1wr1 wrote

Tap the MAC!

thehoagieboy t1_ixe9xbj wrote

I still remember the Bill Bergy commercial saying that. "Tap MAC, for a little cash!" Then he hit the screen and it said "Ow"

CltAltAcctDel t1_ixe593g wrote

MAC = Money Access Center. They were really the only way to get money in the 80s - early 90s. If I remember correctly the MAc card didn’t have your bank’s name on it. It was just blue card that said MAC.

heili t1_ixe7gac wrote

MAC was in white and there was a rainbow on the left side of the M.

Allemaengel t1_ixeptax wrote

I was just going to comment that I remembered a rainbow on them.

Quantumk8 t1_ixeepig wrote

I keep catching myself say wooder. I need a holiday. 🙃

BartlettMagic t1_ixetynr wrote

dude the MAC machine, i do it too. there's a place on Rt. 18 in West Middlesex that has an old MAC machine kiosk sitting out back, clearly visible from the road. it's great to see, still holding a lot of the colors.

Ghstfce t1_ixe1qng wrote

I have an idea. American flag, but orange, white, and black. 50 gritty faces. You're welcome.

Golden_Bee_Moth OP t1_ixe23x0 wrote

I'm scared to make the five year olds I teach aware of this they will most likely make it but it will somehow be horrifying, have the Grinch getting hit by a car, and have a mess of red and blue that they argue about if it's spiderman or Optimus prime

Davmilasav t1_ixekab4 wrote

Please use punctuation. Please! It's so hard to read this.

MyFartsSparkle t1_ixeblyg wrote

I think the PA state flag should just be a rectangle of orange fur with googly eyes. It would be so cool!

No_Marionberry4370 t1_ixdw69e wrote

Wawa has voodoo chips!

Golden_Bee_Moth OP t1_ixdw8s7 wrote

I don't have access to Wawa

p4nd3mic_27 t1_ixe3ae1 wrote

Also at Rutters. Up here in NEPA they have them at Walmart

dhane88 t1_ixe2d70 wrote

Giant iggle has voodoo chips, though they've been sold out several times

aloysiusdumonde t1_ixelc1r wrote

It's cold now, so Wawa's self-service hot chocolate machine is going to be broken until March.

Conveniently, the touchscreen, far more expensive barista hot chocolate option is still available.

KatrinaIceheart t1_ixf4mi7 wrote

If you’re after dippy or sunny side up eggs and don’t know how to order them in a restaurant that won’t understand, I recommend ordering over medium. It’s been working for me. They cook both sides but leave the middle runny. I always find if I try to order anything else they only cook on the one side and the top of the yolk still has raw white on it, and if I ask for fried the yolk cooks a bit too much.

kittieliver t1_iy1s8w3 wrote

THIS!!! I honestly only recently figured out that there were levels to over-ness because of a crossword puzzle and I made sure to order my eggs over medium at a diner and they were truly perfect.

LePetitRenardRoux t1_ixeg26r wrote

I had no idea sunny side up was a PA thing? I had one the other day and my partner didn’t understand, he was like, you had a “fried egg” lol

Golden_Bee_Moth OP t1_ixegb56 wrote

Oh no apparently calling them dippy eggs is the pa thing I didn't really learn that until I first visited Lancaster

sunshinecat6669 t1_ixf69g6 wrote

Rutters has the voodoo chips if you’ve got any of them around you

JackieDaytona27 t1_ixg1vz6 wrote

Are your siblings too cold because they're wearing a hoody, gym shorts and saddles? If so, that is understandable.

oodja t1_ixgd705 wrote

Another PA thing: pretzels so dark that they're basically salted charcoal.

BamitzSam101 t1_ixgi9qv wrote

Dippy Eggs! I’m from South Central and Dippy Eggs are their own food group lmao. Also one i get alot, not sure if it’s like that in other areas, using the word Ignorant as both the usual definition but also to describe a rude person. This one always gets my out of state friends.

ProudBoysLikeMen t1_ixh38zw wrote

You know you can edit your headline right? It doesn't have to be impossible to read

Or0b0ur0s t1_ixjrwgx wrote

I have no idea why someone in Lancaster wouldn't understand "sunny side up" eggs. I could be there in less than an hour, and I've never heard anything else my whole life around here.

You don't want to go to the prison museum, anyway. The The Mütter Museum of Medical Oddities is MUCH better. Some special exhibits aside perhaps, even better than the Art Museum.

Kichard t1_ixwowa9 wrote

I used to drive from Dubois to wherever the closest Wawa was off of route 80 just to get Zapps Voodoo chips 😫

sheetz(s) now offers ‘voodoo dust’ as an add on to their fries. It is excellent.