Submitted by MadLove1348 t3_111md12 in RhodeIsland

Ever since they changed names and assumingly changed ownership, the quality of bands they get in has drastically declined. Maybe just the quality of bands I like (jam bands)? Does anyone have some inside knowledge here or attest to a similar feeling with other kinds of genres?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Username333666999 t1_j8fjo2c wrote

100% agree. They went downhill big time.

_CaesarAugustus_ t1_j8g2kh9 wrote

The overall quality of everything has either gotten worse, or stagnated. Which is tantamount to getting worse in an industry that always had newer and better equipment.

wyldweasil t1_j8fm6gc wrote

I would assume it's more ownership. Same with Fete. If these venues sit outside the livenation system, they're going to get skipped. You also have to take into account the amount of venues in Boston have increased dramatically. To my understanding AEG and other promoters like Bowery Presents don't have agreements in Providence.

And we're also kind of a smaller market. Like a C/D level market.

wyldweasil t1_j8fn8wr wrote

I should probably also note some bands may have radius clauses and no competes if they play Boston which is why they'd skip PVD on a tour or 2.

PM_ME_ASS_SALAD t1_j8hsr28 wrote

This is the culprit. I used to be in the industry and had this confirmed by a local venue owner. A rule obviously not meant for the density of the Northeast.

It’s why you’ll see New Haven get a show often instead of Providence.

bluehat9 t1_j8fnvaj wrote

Bowery appears to be involved with Fete. It's listed under "Our Venues" on the Bowery website

wyldweasil t1_j8frxer wrote

Wonder why they don't book more stuff there, unless it's just getting heads in the door. For example, I saw Cave In there last July, they put them in the lounge, but they played royale and the Sinclair in Boston in 21 and December 22 and sold both out.

Maybe we're just not a strong market

bluehat9 t1_j8g98ej wrote

Unfortunately I think that’s exactly the case. Not enough people going out and willing to pay the entry fees

meefoonay t1_j8i03la wrote

But Cave In were pretty sick in the lounge. I think with that show it might have been the first of the tour for the new LP and kind of a testing ground for the material so it wasn't promoted the same? I could be way off base.

wyldweasil t1_j8i3w28 wrote

I'm not ruling that out, but if they sold out the lounge they could've moved it into the main room, which if we're being honest it was pretty cramped in the lounge that night

and by the way, 'Heavy Pendulum' is amazing.

meefoonay t1_j8i455m wrote

The lounge was definitely cramped. Heavy Pendulum is fantastic!

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j8iiir8 wrote

Providence definitely isn't as strong a market. Boston and the towns immediately bordering it have more people than the entire of Rhode Island and most of that is accessible via public transportation or a fairly cheap taxi/uber ride.

There's also like 30 colleges and universities in the immediate area too.

ToughPlatypus t1_j8g1yuj wrote

I still check Fete regularly. Huge drop in quality, they used to have such a wide variety. Don’t think I have seen a name I recognize in like 2 years.

Maleficent_Weird8613 t1_j8fvcmu wrote

The market has changed. Radio artists like we used to have in the 90s don't exist.

owsleythehunter t1_j8fzck8 wrote

The Met has some solid shows coming up with Neighbor, Perpetual Groove, Melvin Seals & JGB, and a bunch of random Dead cover bands. But yes, I agree. Lupos/Strand used to pull some good bands. Last jam show I saw there was Umphrey’s back in 2014.

MadLove1348 OP t1_j8g0335 wrote

Man, pgroove is coming to the met? Cool! I saw Rodrigo y Gabriela and UM there maybe 4 years ago but basically radio silent ever since.

owsleythehunter t1_j8g0gar wrote

They are! April 29th. Looks like Cabinet and the Kitchen Dwellers are coming as well, albeit separate shows. So, maybe the Met will be able to fill our void. Just need Phish to come back to the Civic Center, that was a treat.

MadLove1348 OP t1_j8g15za wrote

Would love for India point park to get a good jam band this summer!

owsleythehunter t1_j8g28fd wrote

Saw Twiddle at Bold Point in Summer 2019. Decent venue, the sound was quite muddy though. Definitely has potential to be a nice place.

[deleted] t1_j8fk8sv wrote

[deleted]

MadLove1348 OP t1_j8fxkmb wrote

Nothings wrong with badfish, but they are the kind of band I prefer seeing at the ocean mist in the summer.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j8g18au wrote

The Sublime mostly.

Appraisethelord1 t1_j8hgku3 wrote

I disagree with you, but that is a good reason lol.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j8iglyl wrote

I can't stand the source material but it is kinda funny how a band that lasted less than a decade only had like 3 albums had a tribute band that's lasted 3X as long as the original band and can play to thousands of people around the country.

zachuille_oneal t1_j8hsh6y wrote

Saw Social Distortion in Fall of 2018. That was probably the last good act they got that made it feel like old Lupos. F that place now.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j8igr94 wrote

that building never felt like lupos, especially during the decade when it used that name.

TakeTheCanolli t1_j8flc8l wrote

While I like jam bands, they draw an older demographic that doesn’t drink like younger crowds ( read: hip hop) … and that’s where clubs make money. Pretty simple.

owsleythehunter t1_j8fz08x wrote

which jam band crowd doesn’t drink a lot?

Rage. Rest. Repeat.

lovecraft_401 t1_j8gakjv wrote

I think the ownership group has money problems. They also own the Rosendale (closed since last summer?” and Studio Lounge (looks like it closed in November). They still have Fish Co though.

Dances_With_Cheese t1_j8i5bav wrote

The Strand hasn’t been the same since the 90s when it was a dedicated music venue. This was back when Lupos was in the old Woolworth building and there were a few other venues like babyhead etc.

The plus side back then was they had a ton of regional and newer/smaller national acts. I saw Alanna Miles there lol. The downside back then was that it was a total dump.

Then they closed and reopened later in partnership with Lupos. They cleaned it up a little but I think that arrangement sucked. The band shows were too early and then the weird club shows were eating into the music. I saw better than Ezra during that time and the lighting people for the Strand club night actually started setting up lights and stuff while BTE were playing. I thought a fight was going to break out onstage. It was bad.

And now as other posters commented they aren’t a choice spot. Boston has MGM music hall and others that fill that niche. And without live nation dollars it’s hard to compete.

flyingthrghhconcrete t1_j8i2yfr wrote

I feel like a lot of bands went big once Covid restrictions came down and this year is a bit slower.

Thank You Scientist is coming to the Fete next month. That'll be a good show!

401jamin t1_j8jqw00 wrote

I’ve been going to the met for jam bands. I love it there. Strand has someone I like every like 3-4 months lol. I don’t get it wish there was something every week for me there.

Good-Expression-4433 t1_j8fn10o wrote

Advertisement for shows are kind of non-existent.

Different target demographic that spends less on alcohol and alcohol sales are basically how clubs and venues are staying alive.

Live music is less lucrative for the artists than it used to be. Many artists in many genres are doing some pop up shows but less "quality" acts are actively doing gigs.

Lower tier market, especially with Boston nearby.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j8g1ul5 wrote

Plus, COVID threw such a wrench in touring for such a long time. Even with the worst largely past us, tours are still much more expensive and volatile to pull off. Nobody wants to be having to cancel shows once they’re going or worse, be like KISS and leave a guitar tech to die in a hotel room

cartagena_11 t1_j8hivau wrote

What they need over there is a damn AC. It’s fucking hot inside

FieryVegetables t1_j8htshv wrote

Funny, I went to a show on a not so cold night in December and everyone, including the band (who kept their outerwear on), was complaining of being freezing. Maybe it’s just not insulated.

Clubpenguinfeen t1_j8nvv4i wrote

Been mostly Spanish artists cause the owner knows he’ll make the most money off the alcohol with those crowds vs rap/rock crowds. Just is what it is.

They’ll get the most mid rap artist who blew up a little on tiktok to supplement in the yearly lineup. Fyi, no more than 200-300 people go to those shows. It’s a dud.

I Won’t disclose much else.

PJfanRI t1_j8fpo3l wrote

Jerry Cantrell is going to be there on the 14th. Is he somehow not good enough for you? Lol.

PJfanRI t1_j8ftq1n wrote

Loving the downvote for pointing out that Jerry Cantrell, singer, lead guitarist and principal songwriter for Alice In Chains hardly constitutes a drop in quality.

MadLove1348 OP t1_j8fuohb wrote

Not an Alice In Chains fan myself, but my husband is. But years ago they would get like 6-8 bands a year I would want to see. Now it’s 0-1. Just a bummer because we spend so much traveling to venues outside of RI we can only afford 1-2 shows a year when we used to be able to do one annual outside of RI trip and multiple local shows.

PJfanRI t1_j8g7u80 wrote

I thought your concern was the quality? You might not a be a fan of AiC, but Cantrell is a major get.

lovecraft_401 t1_j8gf4vn wrote

It’s not a major get. It might be a good show that you’ll enjoy, but Jerry Cantrell and Alice In Chains hasn’t been relevant for 25 years.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j8ig2cd wrote

Alice In Chains sold out a 20,000 capacity amphitheater like 4 months ago as a headliner and still pull 7 million listeners on Spotify. Radio stations are still going to play those songs a couple times a day, people still want to go see them.

They might be 25 years removed from a hit but they’re still a pretty big name on the strength of the hits in that 5-6 year run.

That being said, Cantrell isn't really a huge get. It's a nice show for a certain demographic that still will go out to see him. I don't know if he's going to sell out a midweek show here but the show probably sells 75% or more. Then he'll go sell out the place half that size north of Boston later in the week.

PJfanRI t1_j8gfssi wrote

They haven't been? I thought they were still doing national tours at large venues. I guess I didn't see them at the Comcast Center in Mansfield? Any idea who I did see?

There were a lot of people there to see an irrelevant band.

This might shock you, but there is still a lot of demand to see 90s rock.

Next you're going to try to tell me Pearl Jam is irrelevant lol.

−5

mkmck t1_j8hw3vn wrote

>They haven't been? I thought they were still doing national tours at large venues.

So is Loverboy. What's your point?

PJfanRI t1_j8hwto6 wrote

That people still find them relevant.

What's your point exactly?

lovecraft_401 t1_j8ggda2 wrote

It hasn’t been the Comcast Center since 2013.

PJfanRI t1_j8ggmn9 wrote

It hasn't been Greatwoods since 99, nor the tweeter center for 15 years. And yet people still call it both.

So what's your point?

mkmck t1_j8hvkkq wrote

I saw him at The Middle East not long after Staley died. He absolutely sucked...my friend and I left at intermission...and we were AIC fans.

PJfanRI t1_j8hwnu4 wrote

Cool story. I saw him at the heartbreak hotel in 2002 and he was excellent.

J4QQ t1_j8i4km1 wrote

I'm still mad they canceled Twiddle.

needathneed t1_j8jddeg wrote

I'm pretty sure Twiddle cancelled Twiddle. Friend who was going to the show said a band member had a health problem.

Wonderful_Bother9172 t1_j8kgd4j wrote

The show got moved to October, it's not cancelled. But I can tell you that it is close to selling out so if you plan to go in October grab a ticket soon.

J4QQ t1_j8kjfu5 wrote

Appreciate the tip.