Submitted by AHoneyNamedRenee t3_113cnsb in RhodeIsland

I heard the proposal was canned. Then I heard today it's "A go".. this has been going on for years. What's the deal?

Does anyone know for sure!?

Is it coming to Cranston or not?

I don't understand why it's such a hard decision to make. The land is there. Traffic is a shit show with or without it because of stupid Top Golf 😒 The people that live here are supposedly against it.. it's not a gated community! They can throw a paper airplane and reach an inmate at maximum security, but cOsTCo!? Not in our neighborhood 🙄

Make a decision or shut up about it lol

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SnooDrawings7662 t1_j8phv5n wrote

No idea. It's be nice to have a Costco closer than Dedham or Avon.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8ppxf8 wrote

If they OK it I'd be 5 minutes away... endless chicken pot pies and ALL the goodies.

koidrieyez t1_j8pj9jy wrote

There has got to be a better location than there. It's only a Costco not an airport. How much room do they need?

flyingthrghhconcrete t1_j8rgt37 wrote

When Costco came to East Lyme CT the traffic impact was enormous. Costco has relatively short business hours, so there's always a rush in and out. The small roads were not prepared for the influx. Cops are there constantly directing traffic if there's a backup. Granted it doesn't take much to back up 95. They recently acquired more space to add additional lanes...kinda like the 95 access ramps to TF Green.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8ppmch wrote

Is the location the actual issue? That's what I'm trying to find out... what is the hold up?

waninggib t1_j8puql6 wrote

Yes, people in Cranston are overwhelmingly against it. When I lived there 2 years ago the neighborhoods nearby had meetings about it and everything to make sure it goes somewhere else. And for good reason too- traffic is already abysmal there and would make the quality of life for the people who live directly next to there worse.

fishythepete t1_j8q0axx wrote

Nothing more Cranston than saying “hey build something here, but not some place too many people would want to go”. They’re saving the spot for the Twin Oaks of retail I guess.

ETA someone mentioned BJs is 10 mins away so sounds like they’ve got it covered.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8q18lq wrote

Bro.. Twin Oaks is such an overrated shit hole. 😂

But wtf else could they put there!? We have Garden City, Chapel View, all of Reservoir Ave... I want COSTCO God dammit! Lol

waninggib t1_j8q50xx wrote

I mean, there’s literally a BJ’s like 10 minutes away though. Cranston doesn’t need a Costco.

−6

fishythepete t1_j8q67zf wrote

Yeah BJs is the Twin Oaks of warehouse stores.

waninggib t1_j8q77jh wrote

I’m not debating which is better, I’m pointing out there’s no actual need for another warehouse store within a 10 minute radius.

fishythepete t1_j8q89g5 wrote

Hmm… who do I think has put more thought and research into this..? The company making a multimillion dollar investment or a random on Reddit?

I have a BJs and a Costco membership, even though I hit Costco like 3-4x / year. If Costco was there, I imagine cranston would again have only one warehouse store after a couple years, and everyone there would be better off for it.

waninggib t1_j8q94zx wrote

There is literally an article posted here about this very thing, so I’m not sure why you feel like this is something we need to debate.

−3

fishythepete t1_j8rh0ej wrote

The article that says a bunch of residents are against it…?

Costco isn’t in the business of building stores where there isn’t demand for them. Your perception of the area’s need for another warehouse store is based on your feelings. Costco’s perception that the area needs one is based on facts. I know which one I’d put money on.

−1

waninggib t1_j8rharr wrote

They’re not building it there, so it looks like you lost that bet.

−1

fishythepete t1_j8rhi8d wrote

Shocking that reading comprehension isn’t your strong point, but the comment was whether or not the demand existed (the area would benefit from a Costco) not whether or not a bunch of NIMBYs could block development.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8rq665 wrote

But, they are building it. 😂

Caprionato and Costo are done deal, but the state wants Caprionato to foot the bill for adding ramps to rt 37. I'm sure once that plan is in place, they'll announce it.

Are you still here talking nonsense?

sailri t1_j8rlkyj wrote

There is actual want though. I have membership to both. Proximity has little to do with it.

fishythepete t1_j8rpksy wrote

Yup. Only ones with something to lose are Amazon (Whole Foods) and BJs.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8pz9r0 wrote

Okay, but Top Golf is okay? A place that serves alcohol? Why is that okay, but Costco isn't?

waninggib t1_j8pzgn6 wrote

Because Costco will very clearly attract much larger crowds all day long than Top Golf?

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8pzq1y wrote

People grocery shopping are worse than drunk men hitting balls with a club into a net?

Cmon now 😒 🙄

−6

waninggib t1_j8q4ryq wrote

I think you missed the increased traffic and decreased quality of life part.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8q6cx4 wrote

I think you missed the drunk white men getting behind the wheel after a few too many Miller Lites part? 🤔 TF? 😂

−8

waninggib t1_j8q728k wrote

Those already exist in Garden City though.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8q82v7 wrote

Yeah, because the singular loser driving home from Applebee's on too many Dollaritas on a Tuesday night is more of a public threat?

Will the Cranston police be posted up in the Chelo's parking lot or the Whole Foods parking lot? You know damn well the answer to that.

We get it. You live off Garden City Drive and don't want too many SNAP recipients passing through.

waninggib t1_j8q9ds1 wrote

I never lived nearby, and I currently live in Providence. I legit just answered your question and you’re apparently pissed because you love Costco and want it built. The people in Cranston didn’t.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8q9h62 wrote

So mind your damn business then and focus on your rat problem.

waninggib t1_j8q9q8o wrote

What the fuck are you even going on about?

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8q9ufs wrote

It doesn't affect you, so wtf are YOU going on about?

waninggib t1_j8qa60k wrote

I literally responded to a question you posted on a public forum asking if the location itself is the issue, and explained that it was and that’s why Cranston rejected it. I didn’t realize you weren’t actually looking for responses and just wanted to shitpost. My bad.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8qafq3 wrote

And for someone that doesn't even live here, you have one hell of an opinion 🙄 you're not even a relevant person regarding this.

Focus on your rat problem in PVD and the trap houses. 😂

−2

waninggib t1_j8qan6z wrote

Right.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8qay6q wrote

Up voted this. One word is all it took for you to finally make some sense. Bye. Stick to what you know. Putting a silk hat on a pig and calling it gentrification. ✌🏻👋🏻

−2

NoRepresentative5593 t1_j8r5ru4 wrote

Not sure what you mean about the cops but I work in GC and Cranston police are usually parked by Legal Sea Foods and patrol the center at night and during the day.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8rn5pa wrote

What I mean is will there be cops patrolling the Top Golf? Or are they going to let all the drunks drive out of there?

Top Golf was a stupid idea. I don't see anything good coming from that establishment being there.

NoRepresentative5593 t1_j8rpfda wrote

Not sure why you’re anti-golf but Cranston PD is always here and I can’t imagine they would ignore drunks coming out of Top Golf.

sailri t1_j8rlq8a wrote

But drunk women at Garden City isn’t a reason?

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8rp4qc wrote

To be honest, I've never seen anyone intoxicated at Garden City 😂 I'm sure it happens often, but I feel like Top Golf will produce way more DUIs than any other business in the area.

PJfanRI t1_j8s8py2 wrote

Why would TopGolf provide more DUIs than restaurants and bars? What are you basing that statement on?

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8t2y3c wrote

1. The fact that it's pretty much like a Dave and Busters. Lots of party's and events will be held there, and what do a lot of people do when they celebrate?

Why does this even need to be explained?

1. The demographic.

My boss and his friends get shitfaced every Tuesday at the country club. Guys like to play golf, bullshit, and drink.

PJfanRI t1_j8t70tp wrote

1. Have you ever been to a TopGolf or Golf Simulator like at Patriot Place or TD Garden in Boston?

The fact that it's like a Dave and Busters implies people will drink less, not more. People drink less when they're participating in an activity than they do when they're standing there just drinking. Its common sense.

Why does this even need to be explained?

1. The crux of your argument seems to be that TopGolf will attract men and men just want to drink. If your boss and his friends get shitfaced at the country club, obviously all men do, right?

Are you familiar with the term misandry? Come on, be better. Sexism in all forms sucks.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8t9m0c wrote

Oh please 🙄

The majority of the patrons will be men. White, middle-aged, middle-class men. That's the exact demographic they're marketing targets.

It's not sexist if it's true.

Are you familiar with the word eristic? You be better. Twisting words and picking arguments with strangers on the internet sucks and is a huge character flaw.

PJfanRI t1_j8tbp8t wrote

Yes, the majority of the patrons will be men. And I'm not arguing that point.

I'm arguing your inference that the demographic listed above is a problem. And that the nature of TopGolf will lead to more drinking than your typical restaurant or bar.

I challenge sexism and bigotry in all forms. I'm not twisting anything you've said. You have said introducing TopGolf into the area will increase DUIs because their demographic is middle aged white men.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8td4gh wrote

>You have said introducing TopGolf into the area will increase DUIs because their demographic is middle aged white men.

Precisely.

Now research DUI statistics.

PJfanRI t1_j8tde3e wrote

I'm aware of them. But you still haven't established why TopGolf leads to more drinking than a traditional bar besides a bullshit anecdote about your boss.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8tezss wrote

I am not explaining again. Go read the answer I already posted. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean I didn't establish it. I said what I said.

PJfanRI t1_j8th2ct wrote

Rhetoric isn't a strong suit for you.

You compared it to Dave and Busters, because I'm the mind of yourself and nobody else D&Bs is a haven for drunk driving. And let's not forget your boss, who represents the entire golfing community and gets drunk on Tuesdays. That hardly constitutes the justification you think it does lol.

It doesn't matter what you or I like since Top Golf is going in. While you're lamenting the loss of Costco I will be taking my customers to TopGolf, where they will be drinking less than they would at a sporting event or bar.

mightynifty_2 t1_j8rjt89 wrote

I live around the corner from there. When were these meetings held and how did people even hear about them? Because seriously, the traffic there isn't that bad. It's only annoying if (god forbid) your 5 minute commute becomes a 6 minute commute. Not to mention the Top Golf and Costco would have their own lots and wouldn't draw much more traffic than Garden City already does. Anyone complaining about this making their quality of life worse is an idiot.

mightynifty_2 t1_j8rmshf wrote

Not only is this article about the plan near Mulligan's and not the one near Sockanosset, but it literally confirms everything I said.... A bunch of idiots think it'll cause traffic, which it really wouldn't (especially if it had gone near Mulligan's) and the prison argument is so unfathomably stupid that I struggle to comprehend how someone managed to spit out those words without laughing. If putting a Costco next to your prison would compromise security, the problem isn't with the fucking store.

But I guess this was to show the meeting held were city council meetings? Which makes sense. I though from your original comment that it was like, neighborhoods getting together in smaller groups.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8q6nrg wrote

I know! But this is 2 years ago, and there's still chatter about it .

AmputatorBot t1_j8rcnhz wrote

It looks like you shared an AMP link. These should load faster, but AMP is controversial because of concerns over privacy and the Open Web. Fully cached AMP pages (like the one you shared), are especially problematic.

Maybe check out the canonical page instead: https://turnto10.com/news/local/costco-warehouse-club-cranston-rhode-island-sockanosset-cross-road-route-37-traffic-development-department-of-transportation-topgolf

^(I'm a bot | )^(Why & About)^( | )^(Summon: u/AmputatorBot)

boulevardofdef t1_j8pv3xv wrote

Wasn't the proposal that got canned a different location than the one that got approved? The failed one was Mulligan's Island, the new one is the old Citizens Bank offices, I think.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8pzg01 wrote

That's where Top Golf is going, I thought... but who knows 🤔 So much conflicting information about this

37Elite t1_j8rkjyl wrote

Top Golf is going next to the Chapel View plaza, nestled between Shaw's and the fire station. Basically in between 37 and Sockanosset

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8ro6mx wrote

Ohhhhhhh .. see, I thought Top Golf was going where Citizens was, and Costco was going between Shaws and CFD.

The most recent article is from August, and they were pretty confident COSTCO was coming.

Easy_Light_1598 t1_j8s6odx wrote

Is the structure that’s partially built behind citizens the Costco then? Thought it looked more like the top golf but its still so bare bones idk

Even-Vegetable-1700 t1_j8q72q4 wrote

That’s what I remember reading or hearing on on TV. Sorry I don’t remember which.

Even-Vegetable-1700 t1_j8sg8jr wrote

Yesterday, Gene Valicenti made the COSTCO announcement on his morning radio program on WPRO, citing “solid sources”. After announcing that COSTCO was coming to the Chapel View area, targeted to “behind Shaws and next to Topgolf”, Valicenti interviewed the Director of the RI Department of Transportation, Peter Alviti, who talked about the development with familiarity, announcing the continuing adjustments to the Route 37 off ramp from Route 95 which will include an exit ramp serving Topgolf and a cloverleaf development north of that – presumably to handle COSTCO traffic. Alviti says COSTCO will be to the rear and to the side of Topgolf – “there’s plenty of room for it”.

lestermagnum t1_j8pt2fm wrote

I heard they canceled it when the state voted against letting grocery and convenience stores sell beer and wine.

mightynifty_2 t1_j8rk4wg wrote

They really should allow that again. If people have to go to the liquor store itself they're more likely to stock up and have more alcohol around, but allowing grocery stores to sell it would mean they're more likely to just grab what they need.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8q08an wrote

Is this why Phred's drug store closed? There were 3 drug stores that sold lq that I know of. Phred's, Cameron's, and a drug store on the corner of Broad and Norwood in Edgewood.

Costco doesn't need to sell lq. Our Aldi's don't.. everyone else's does. I don't get it.

DrGeraldBaskums t1_j8r43vz wrote

No Phreds was grandfathered in and could sell liquor whenever. CVS bought them out.

I believe Costco is the largest individual chain/seller of booze in America. It’s kind of their thing.

kayakyakr t1_j8rhe87 wrote

They also open separate but attached liquor stores anywhere the laws don't allow them to sell liquor in the warehouse. You doing even have to be a member to shop at the liquor stores.

JPLemme t1_j8rszq8 wrote

That's not quite right. CVS bought their pharmacy, but not the liquor license. A company called Lancran purchased the remainder thinking the license would transfer. Wines and More sued saying that license was terminated when Phred's was sold, and won the lawsuit on 1-AUG-2019.

(I'm paraphrasing--it was something about Class A and E licenses being split, yada yada. Feel free to read the decision here: https://dbr.ri.gov/sites/g/files/xkgbur696/files/documents/decisions/CL_Decision-WinesAndMore.pdf)

It does explain why for several years the building and sign were still standing but with the words "Food" and "Drugs" pried off (but "Liquor" still there).

noungning t1_j8q75ro wrote

I posted about the land for topgolf and the latest update in that thread.

Mayor said he signed the papers, if anything big will be announced by property owners, Carpionato.

BrandonC41 t1_j8rycxw wrote

Please the people yearn for Kirkland booze

realbadaccountant t1_j8s0c25 wrote

Yes but we ain’t getting that without changing our archaic puritanical booze laws

mightynifty_2 t1_j8rlc45 wrote

As I understand it, they originally wanted to put it where Mulligan's Island is, but that got canned because a bunch of idiots were worried about the traffic, so they decided to move it near Garden City next to the Top Golf being built. Some people tried to raise a stink again, but I believe that project is approved and just a matter of time now.

Really though, it's just a bunch of people terrified of their 5 minute commute becoming a 6 minute commute. Not only would these stores likely have their own roads like many on Bald Hill, but they would be great for tax revenue in the city. It's just selfishness, short-sightedness, and a strong reluctance to change. If people really wanted to do away with the traffic at the bottom of the hill they'd petition for a roundabout like those on Apponaug, but nooooo those are too scary. -__-

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8romus wrote

Well, I am also afraid of those stupid roundabouts 😂 I hate them, but I'm not unwilling to learn how to navigate them properly 😂😂

People drive terrible at that intersection. Good idea to put one there.

mightynifty_2 t1_j8rpmkn wrote

All things with practice, but being scared and willing to learn is the right attitude! The only really scary thing is when someone is dumb enough to stop in the middle of the circle to let a car in. Outside if that, they're great for eliminating annoying traffic lights (especially if they doubled them up and put one on the highway ramp too).

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8rrd0r wrote

It's interesting how something so simple like a roundabout solves a lot of traffic issues. Thinking about it now, I'm surprised we don't have more of them.

Do you think they could put one there? I'm thinking about the fire station and the trucks.

mightynifty_2 t1_j8ru0l1 wrote

Oh for sure. I mean, right now the traffic stops the trucks anyway so it's not like they'd make things worse. Idk, thinking about the one on Cranston Street that leads to Atwood, I can't imagine how much worse it would be if that were a stoplight instead lol.

Olneyvillain4190 t1_j8rmvjs wrote

I had always heard they were trying to go into the old Ann and hope In Warwick but stop and shop owns that land ? Nothing for sure just things I’ve heard

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8roapp wrote

I remember hearing that. That would be a crap location, in my opinion.

yoyo5396 t1_j8u1t2g wrote

! They can throw a paper airplane and reach an inmate at maximum security, but cOsTCo!? Not in our neighborhood 🙄

-fucking hilarious and true

kayakyakr t1_j8rit32 wrote

Costco should just go for saturation. Put in a big warehouse down by the Walmart and home Depot in Coventry, throw a small warehouse in the empty storefront next to Alvarez high school, squeeze one in somewhere in North Providence or maybe even convince the casino to give over one of its parking lots for a new build, and finally shove one in south Attleboro because why the hell not.

4 stores, all at once, and the entire state is covered.

AHoneyNamedRenee OP t1_j8roquh wrote

There's a BJs near Walmart in Coventry.

kayakyakr t1_j8saa69 wrote

In Austin, there's a Costco a block away from a Sam's Club.

Hell, have you ever noticed that in a lot of places, there's a CVS and a Walgreens right across the street from each other?

Or all the places you can find an Advanced Auto Parts and an Autozone right next door?

Hells, here's a place where all 4 of those businesses are in the same map zoom: https://www.google.com/maps/@30.413726,-97.6913476,19.08z?hl=en

​

Just because there's already a wholesale club down there, doesn't mean a different one will avoid going in.

lobstahmann t1_j8y49v7 wrote

If only they’d allow Costco to sell booze.

PJfanRI t1_j8qjudg wrote

I'd love a Costco, but given the choice would take TopGolf all day long. TopGolf will be a legitimate draw.

−2

kayakyakr t1_j8rhv7l wrote

Dunno if you've ever lived near a Costco or top golf, but I have.

Top golf stays mostly empty and hosts up to 200 people each night, about the same as a busy chili's.

Costco's parking lot is full from open to close, having 400+ people shopping at any one time. I believe fire code for the one near me was 625, and they often had to do one in one out for overcrowding reasons.

PJfanRI t1_j8rmin9 wrote

I lived in Seattle for a few years, so yes I've lived near a Costco. Hell, they were a customer of mine. I'm fully aware of how busy they get.

The thing about TopGolf is that there are NO TopGolfs currently in the region. The closest one is in Long Island. A TopGolf in RI will draw businesses looking to entertain clientele from Boston and Connecticut as well as our own backyard.