Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

KuhLealKhaos t1_j72fqg6 wrote

Didn't they already make us all pay more to use more devices before this anyways?! Am I losing my mind???

yikesonbikes1230 t1_j72i8vb wrote

You are absolutely correct. I pay for 4 screens to be used and I literally cancelled the minute this dropped because that is insane to pay for it over and over and to have this kind of hassle. Also edit to add the article says they are not rolling it out YET. They definitely intend to so I won’t be re-subscribing.

matthewamerica t1_j72rah8 wrote

I did the same thing. I had the four screen thing for me, my mom and my kiddo to all use it. This came out and I cancelled the fuck out of it. They were like "Use four screens! Wait .. not like that." We can't be the only two. Plus, there are a LOT of websites based in countries with very lax copyright enforcement that stream everything on Netflix, Disney plus, Hulu, etc. I was paying them as a courtesy, and I believe they deserve something in return for their content obviously, but push your luck and your about to fuck around and find out.

yikesonbikes1230 t1_j72uk1j wrote

Exactly! We can’t be the only ones and I even put it as the reason for leaving. Someone said here to get a firestick and jailbreak it and it is all free. I have no clue how to do that or if it is worth it but who knows!

FourthLineLifer t1_j73b8si wrote

I pay $50 for 2 years of VPN service. I bought a Firestick, downloaded the VPN onto it and a couple of those “not quite legal” streaming apps and haven’t had a single problem! Only sacrifice is sometimes needing to wait a day to watch a new release. Saving money on all those subscriptions and having every show right at my fingertips is amazing. The VPN is also handy for allowing me to watch sports (NHL) and get around blackout restrictions. I’d strongly consider sailing the seas if you aren’t already 🏴‍☠️

I’m no wizard at setting it all up, but there are a few websites/videos that will walk you through the process fairy easily!

st-shenanigans t1_j74mybq wrote

Id probably pay $30 a month for a subscription like that where everything is in one spot.

But I'll be damned if I'm paying $15 a month for ten different services

Scrumpy-Steve t1_j74xrwh wrote

Yeah, it's not a good idea to piss off your customer base when your primary competition charges $0.00

Luceija t1_j761t33 wrote

How can I learn this magic? :0

Descator t1_j7cycxh wrote

r/piracy mainly

The_eldritch_bitch t1_j73wisa wrote

It’s easy! My husband is tech illiterate and did it. We even get live sports on it

pluck-the-bunny t1_j771fi5 wrote

You don’t even need to jailbreak the fire stick. It allows 3rd party apps.

I use it it’s awesome

Shurigin t1_j75782u wrote

I paid for 2 screens one for my family and one for my in-laws in the philippines and they blocked that shit as long ago so I cancelled netflix and gave my inlaws VPN instructions and my Hulu

[deleted] t1_j73it2z wrote

[deleted]

Appropriate_Scar_262 t1_j748ifg wrote

Comcast charges per month for each TV you connect, each TV requires an adapter

StableNongenius t1_j76b4uf wrote

Or you have to have a smart TV and run their streaming app, which goes against your internet data cap. 🙃

Mundane-Ad-3142 t1_j74rn24 wrote

Yes, how dare a company set rules to better increase profits! The horror!

−34

ralexander1997 t1_j76wnsx wrote

Yea this is a bad take. I’m very pro free markets, but people here aren’t saying Netflix should be regulated out of doing this, they’re just saying they disapprove and will be taking their business elsewhere. You know, like a free market.

BewilderedOstrich t1_j73mlt6 wrote

This is amusing because they already have a massive issue that's worth dropping them over. They have no grasp on how to tell what is and isn't actually popular, and as such there's nearly no reason in starting their original series because you already know, especially if it's something genuinely good, it's not getting renewed.

Now these incompetent people think they can squeeze me for more money? Haha nah I was already dropping my sub.

TheKnightSpliff t1_j74ldey wrote

I was hoping someone would highlight the other looming issue with Netflix.

It's like they're gunning to become the Netscape Navigator of streaming services. An OG, but obsolete.

They pioneered streaming TV & Movies. I get the need to develop their own studio to produce original content due to licensing withdrawals from major studios wanting to capitalize on their content via their own streaming services. Some of them are now figuring out it's not as lucrative as they projected, i.e. Disney+ & HBO Max - licensing was more cost-effective.

But Netflix failed with their original content by creating a graveyard of unfinished stories as their content library.

When they implode no studio will be interested in their volume of half assed productions.

Now they decide it's prudent to antagonize their already disgruntled consumers? Again, an OG, but obsolete.

Emu1981 t1_j75jnba wrote

>It's like they're gunning to become the Netscape Navigator of streaming services.

Netscape Navigator is still around in spirit in the 4th most popular browser on desktop/laptop though (3rd if you ignore Safari) - Firefox was originally split off the Mozilla codebase back in 2002.

I think a more apt comparison would be Atari - a once great tech company leading the way to a bright future who's headlines now include operating a cryptocurrency worth a 3600th of a USD each and launching a failed retro console.

ndngroomer t1_j75cjdd wrote

That's what I hate the most about Netflix. I just don't understand their rationale.

BewilderedOstrich t1_j76nis1 wrote

"We invested in the product and now it's time to cash in consumer loyalty for money."

It's not a new idea. Netflix also isn't the first company to vastly over estimate just how much consumer loyalty they actually have. As the kids say, FAFO.

RNG_HatesMe t1_j76uzwy wrote

See "the enshittification of Tik-Tok":

https://www.wired.com/story/tiktok-platforms-cory-doctorow/

Step 1 - be helpful to users - purpose: gain market share

Step 2 - be helpful to content creators/ advertisers / affiliate businesses - purpose: gain revenue

Step 3 - be helpful to yourself - purpose: gain profit

(Step 4 - become irrelevant because your users AND content creators now hate you)

Lots42 t1_j7p7qai wrote

Tubi TV and Pluto TV, two free, legal streaming services with commercials have movies Netflix simply doesn't have.

ndngroomer t1_j75ca3c wrote

I called their customer service department yesterday and asked them what about families like mine who have a child away in college who watch Netflix when they're in school? They just logged my complaint and said they would forward it on to the supervisors.

michaltee t1_j73797e wrote

I think this will bite them in the ass and they will undo the rules.

yikesonbikes1230 t1_j74da2v wrote

Have you read the article they put out last week? They literally said they know there will be blowback but they ultimately think this will work in their favor and are not going to back down.

ndngroomer t1_j75codg wrote

Looks like it's time to start buying shorts in Netflix stocks.

yikesonbikes1230 t1_j769a35 wrote

I was thinking the same thing but I literally have no clue how to do that lol

-1KingKRool- t1_j76r6bf wrote

Step 1: download trading app (Robinhood, Fidelity, Webull, TD Ameritrade, etc)

Step 2: create account.

Step 3: put some money in it.

Step 4: get approved for option trading.

Step 5: buy puts if you think it’s going down fast, calls if you think it’s going up fast.

Step 6: profit.

Now seriously though, don’t. Give it a lot of thought, don’t use money you can’t lose, and visit r/wallstreetbets to get an idea of how wrong options trades can go.

bdone2012 t1_j77fwsm wrote

I'm not sure you were serious but from my little understanding, shorting stocks can be a bad idea. Normally when you buy a stock the theoretical worst case scenario is that it winds up worth nothing.

When you short a stock it's the opposite, meaning that theoretically it could go up indefinitely. I'm not sure exactly how the numbers work out but let's say you short Netflix and it somehow went up 10x you'd now owe a lot more money than the amount that you originally shorted them for.

So by accident you could potentially go into debt when you thought you were shorting for an amount that you could reasonably lose.

stewmander t1_j74dos5 wrote

They did this on purpose. Leak the stricter rules, so that when they release the less strict rules, everyone says, well, it could have been worse!

alien_from_Europa t1_j75us6m wrote

Worked for Coke. Release the terrible New Coke and lose drinkers. Replace it with Coke Classic and get more drinkers than ever before.

It's crazy how "appreciate what you got or we'll be horrible" is a successful marketing tactic.

stewmander t1_j75y5fq wrote

Yup, It was used as cover to so coke could switch from real sugar to corn syrup without people noticing.

CrazyOlHoboJoe t1_j73zb2u wrote

Yes

It's been 3 years since the accident

You need to move on to regain your sanity. Your family is worried about you. You don't respond to calls and your car smells like feet. Your children were taken away and you didn't seem to notice. Wake up Daniel. Wake up!

darkspd96 t1_j78h5fh wrote

It's just transitory inflation, don't worry about it