Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

4runnr t1_j06i9li wrote

No shit.

This is a dumb report. Most homeowners have fixed costs (mortgage) whereas renters have to pay a competitive market rate.

SuperSpartacus t1_j07vs5g wrote

Literally lol. What a waste of time and energy to explain common sense

NativeMasshole t1_j06e8ec wrote

No shit. Can anybody who works in the city even afford to rent there on their own? Starting prices put starting rental wages around $25/hour. What industry does Worcester even have that can support those prices?

sunshinepills t1_j06y3r1 wrote

Biotech

operator_1337 t1_j08txw3 wrote

Yeah but if you look at average pay, the floor employees are making around 20hr.

post_singularity t1_j0aeka9 wrote

Maybe if you have no schooling or experience, it’s been a competitive job market and w/ just a year or two of experience you can get 30/hr

operator_1337 t1_j0bgqgx wrote

No you can't. That seems like a pipe dream. I'd love to see some proof of this.

Just go on any job site and look up biotech manufacturing jobs they're all 16-20hr. With most of the jobs implying you need prior experience.

The people adding a screw in during the assembly process on the line are not making 30hr.

Maybe if you go for a specialized position or team lead.

All the jobs I saw that made north of 55k a year required you to have a bachelor degree in one of the following depending on position, Microbiology, Biomedical engineering, Biology, etc.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I'm just saying this would be the exception rather than the rule.

post_singularity t1_j0cqpf7 wrote

Yes you need prior experience or a degree, if you have nothing you get 25/hr. Nobody is turning screws on a line in biotech whatever you’re looking at it isn’t biotech. I’m speaking from experience working biotech in Worcester. Pay ranged from 25-45hr for techs depending on education and experience. Nobody was making 16.

operator_1337 t1_j0cwtx2 wrote

That was just a basic example of a simple task job lol

Indeed doesn't even show one open position for biotech anything in Worcester, nor does ZipRecuriter. I checked a few biotech companies located in Worcester website and they had very few positions open.

We are talking about easily accessible and currently hiring entry level positions or near entry level that pay enough to live in Worcester, that are in abundance that all pay average $25.

BumblebeeHumble7 t1_j0bnsd7 wrote

Check out GE or Cytiva

operator_1337 t1_j0bruix wrote

There is a GE in Worcester?

legalpretzel t1_j095bb3 wrote

Most of the people I know in the area who are comfortable work in:

IT

Government - state or federal pays better than city

Nursing

Teaching

Trades

Other professional positions (attorney, doctor, small business owners)

Edited to add spaces

operator_1337 t1_j0bth0a wrote

When you say "area", you mean inside the city of Worcester correct?

I only have one friend who is living comfortably in Worcester, but he is a stay at home video game developer.

I also have a few friends that own homes and are financially comfortable, but just want out of the city for x y and z reasons.

Shvasted t1_j08c16e wrote

And in other news, Worcester just wants to be as good as Pawtucket says City leaders. “Not better, just as good.” said the late City Manager, What’s His Name.

ssumana t1_j09fh6c wrote

But what about the poor landlords?

sevencityseven t1_j0l31wm wrote

Have you seen the house prices, interest rates, cost of material, labor rates for trade services? All of this has a direct impact on “market prices”. Landlords barely break even or have a small amount of positive cash flow when you add up all the bills. Supply and demand is the issue - not enough housing and too many people. The problem isn’t the landlords it’s the market and market conditions that drive price. Common sense.

ssumana t1_j0n39tq wrote

I was being sarcastic relax market andy