Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

hvgotcodes t1_jbo1pb3 wrote

How’d you cook it? Looks pretty good, if not slightly uneven, but I can’t do any better.

Ribeye is the only steak I like closer to medium. 137 is perfect so the fat becomes more palatable.

oct_prime t1_jbonk3z wrote

Indirect then high heat sear will usually give you a more even color. A lower,longer reverse sear will render the fat better.

hvgotcodes t1_jbotelc wrote

I have an SRF ribeye fillet that I was going to try a reverse sear on. Usually I do my fillets to 90 and then sear 90 seconds a side, and it ends up in the 130s after a rest. So I might reverse sear to 100 before the sear for the ribeye fillet.

bl1eveucanfly t1_jbqknfd wrote

The hell is a ribeye fillet?

hvgotcodes t1_jbqkt6c wrote

I think it’s how they market the eye. The part in the middle, under the fat and cap.

Car-face t1_jbqter5 wrote

longissimus dorsi + spinalis dorsi.

Called a Scotch Fillet where I am

cookinwithclint OP t1_jbpgfci wrote

I find reverse sear eats more like a roast then a steak

oct_prime t1_jbqha9m wrote

Keep the reverse sear under 50 minutes. My sweet spot is 45 minutes as long as the temp is below 115. Then seat. But yea anything over an hour gives that roast like taste/texture.

Ace_WHAT t1_jbq1yjq wrote

honest question, is this like.. science, research, or experience on your part?

DJheddo t1_jbq4rdj wrote

Just testing a steak out on a cast iron is a fun experience. You learn how hot to make the pan, the right oils that work with certain herbs/seasonings. You just wing it until you find that sweet spot where you can make a steak for anyone whether they want it seared and bloody, or medium with just a bit of rare. Then getting into medium rare and well done is another game of it's own.

I'd say practice different techniques on cheap steaks and work your way up to more prime cuts. Everyone has their own way of cooking their meat, but it's hard to find that moment you just know, "Oh that much heat, oh that much oil, maybe not that long next time, etc." Cooking shouldn't be made to take serious when it's truly an artist adventure of making something for someone else.

Ace_WHAT t1_jcwzd48 wrote

nice, thanks for the reply! im getting better

hvgotcodes t1_jbq3cja wrote

Mostly what folks on the sousvide Reddit preach.

whyamiwastingmytime1 t1_jbq70tr wrote

If you can, buy a Bluetooth meat thermometer and try cooking a steak directly from frozen.

Sear the outside directly from frozen, then cook the steak at a low temp in the oven and you can get a very even and perfectly cooked steak every time

ShenEzr t1_jboo9rm wrote

I don't know who you are but i'm proud of you. i would pay for that. Well done!

ttystikk t1_jbo3gb1 wrote

Sous vide? Looks fabulous!

cookinwithclint OP t1_jbo3nye wrote

High heat sear then indirect, thank you

WereAllThrowaways t1_jbqqcv0 wrote

Excuse my ignorance but does indirect just mean something like an oven or grill that heats the air around the food instead of the surface the food is on?

fool_on_a_hill t1_jbq9asz wrote

eww don't sous vide a ribeye. Sous vide shines with lean/tough cuts. In terms of "restaurant" cuts, I'd only sous vide a NY strip, and even then, only if it's a cheap grocery store cut. Fatty or tender cuts (ribeye, filet) are just gonna be nasty. A filet gets way too slimey since its already super tender, and a ribeye has too much fat that doesn't render. And it's way harder to get a good sear with sous vide.

−8

Blarfk t1_jbqpjqp wrote

Huh? Sous vide ribeye can be absolutely amazing.

fool_on_a_hill t1_jbqtbzw wrote

I guess if you have a blowtorch and you're into super tender meat..

−2

Blarfk t1_jbqvem9 wrote

You don't need a blowtorch - you could just use a super hot pan. As he said, it may not get AS good a crust, but it will still be delicious. And you'll be facing that searing issue no matter what cut you use - the torch just allows you to develop crust faster than any other method so that the inside doesn't cook any more, which you'll want to do with any cut you sous vide.

You could totally also do it with a filet by the way.

fool_on_a_hill t1_jbrt0rt wrote

I understand that you can sous vide a ribeye or filet. I just can't see why you'd want to. It takes longer and the sear isn't as good. So what's the point? I've never had a filet that wasn't tender enough, and ribeye has so much fat that doesn't render with sous vide + quick sear. Sous vide is a hype train and most people that do it long enough eventually dial it back to just using it as a tool that's available when necessary.

Blarfk t1_jbszlxj wrote

Because it’s easy to overcook them if you use the traditional method and doing them sous vide allows you to dial in the exact doneness that you want without worrying about it.

fool_on_a_hill t1_jc0vwl5 wrote

>it’s easy to overcook them if you use the traditional method

I guess if you don't have a thermometer?

Blarfk t1_jc1xrmn wrote

Themometers aren't fullproof, especially with filets.

Tejon_Melero t1_jbpopl7 wrote

I like stumbling across OP posts because there are always people telling him to reverse sear and sous vide and he clearly thinks they are inferior strategies for the specific dishes.

Steak looks great, the coloration issue on doneness could be simply shading on the pic.

I'd want to see the deckle for rendering check, but it looks great without the need.

cookinwithclint OP t1_jbpph4x wrote

Thank you

Regarding Sous Vide, I got an ANOVA for Christmas 2015 and literally cooked every meal for about 8 months with it. I was brainwashed I thought it was the best way to cook. My brother asked me to try a few of my traditional methods again and I haven't touched it since.

I have played around with reverse sear quite a bit but I find the slow render makes the steak eat more like a roast then a steak.

I definitely don't want to seem like I am dismissing them, it's just that I prefer my method for steak.

medfreak t1_jbq9bzg wrote

I don't see how Sous Vide tastes like Roast unless you are keeping your meat for very long hours under high temps. Either way to each their own.

cookinwithclint OP t1_jbqnjmn wrote

Reverse sear tastes like roast, SV makes the meat soft muddles the flavors and lacks overall texture. I have tried everything from 30 minutes to 8 hours, I have faux, aged, warm aged, did the 103 followed by 120, you name it, I have done it. Literally hundreds of steaks

medfreak t1_jbqre2i wrote

I have tried every steak preparation method both by myself and at some of the so called "best restaurants". To me nothing tastes better than a properly seared steak after 60-90 minutes sous vide. Again to each their own.

JulieTheGenius t1_jbrv6y0 wrote

What is your sous vide method?

I’ve just gotten one and cooked 1 steak. It was ok but definitely have room for improvement. My post sous vide sear was too brief and I needed to up my seasoning but for first run, it was very passable.

I’m planning to sous vide a London broil tomorrow. 🤞🏼👩🏻‍🍳

getsangryatsnails t1_jbor563 wrote

In the words of the great George Takei, "Ohhhh myyyyy"

Skullruss t1_jbok35x wrote

THIS is what they mean when they say wall-to-wall medium rare.

PipeDownNerd t1_jbrqzwa wrote

Personally I prefer fattier cuts to be closer to medium rather than rare to let the fat render more. Leaner cuts like filet mignon, and tenderloin sure the rarer the better, but not for my fatty boys.

OldMork t1_jbnygxg wrote

Looks great!

jj1970 t1_jbp10d2 wrote

Looks perfect!!!

JadeSelket t1_jbpef1w wrote

My favourite cut. Perfect mix of tenderness and flavour, and I love that the fat melts in your mouth.

No_Cricket808 t1_jbpgrsh wrote

Oh that looks fabulous!

But I have to note, I'm having a long work week and originally my eyes saw "HUMAN prime ribeye" and I did a doubletake..

CamelliaNicole t1_jbpoixv wrote

That is cooked to perfection! Good job! I have yet to master cooking the perfect steak at home.

Dhmob t1_jbq10s0 wrote

Perfectly cooked

vt_factor t1_jbq1u7g wrote

This is a helluva cross section. Wish the other pics were of this high quality on this sub

medfreak t1_jbq94bz wrote

Looks great. Almost a sous vide result.

WhiskySiN t1_jbqcwbn wrote

Homemade? What breed and how old was it? Steer/heifer?

Ledeberg t1_jbqs65x wrote

it's still raw ...

Spcynugg45 t1_jbr8v7k wrote

Excellent char on the outside, good looking temperature. Curious as to how it looks so uneven on the top one compared to the bottom which I assume are halves of the same piece of meat.

Do you think there might be some uneven spots from your heat source or pan?

Either way, looks delicious!

cookinwithclint OP t1_jbrgqmc wrote

My 2 year old yanked on my elbow when I was slicing, what you see is a knife stop line

Spcynugg45 t1_jbul2vc wrote

Ah ok that makes sense! Just so it's clear I wasn't trying to be negative was just very curious about what I was seeing

Fiyanggu t1_jbri1oo wrote

Why does Costco separate the cap and the eye in their prime ribeyes? Very annoying.

M2LA t1_jbrtcb0 wrote

god that looks amazing, good for you - thx for sharing

MontaneHoop79 t1_jbs2d4v wrote

Why does this look so mouth-watering?

frodobaggins91 t1_jbshxpq wrote

Eye wouldn't misteak that for a moo cow yum.

AutoModerator t1_jbnxhub wrote

Tune into our next Live Talk for the one and only, the amazing Queen of Pie, Jessica Leigh Clark-Bojin AKA ThePieous!

ThePieous is a pie maker extraordinaire, famous for her Pie-art and Piescrapers, you may well have seen her pies here on r/Food, on her Instagram, website, her book or from her work as a Food Network & TODAY Show judge. Join us in the celebration of all things Pie for Pi Day!

The talk starts 3pm PT on Monday 13th March.

You can follow the scheduled talk HERE, hit the follow and bell icon to get a notification once the post goes live.

We also welcome back our brilliant talk hosts, Pod Appétit: Gourmet Takes.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

−1

[deleted] t1_jboep87 wrote

[removed]

−16

cyberdeath666 t1_jbolr5z wrote

Oh shut up you pedantic jerk

−10

[deleted] t1_jbomcdo wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_jbnz1yi wrote

[removed]

−29