Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

NightsWatch23 OP t1_j4xm211 wrote

I used the recipe from youtube. Here it is.

1. For the Tangzhong, mix 40g bread flour with 200g water in a saute pan. Turn on medium heat and keep stirring until mixture thickens to a paste.

2. Refrigerate for 6 hours. Bring out to room temperature 1 hour before use.

3. Add bread flour, sugar, salt, dry yeast, powdered milk to a mixing bowl and mix gently with dough hook attachment.

4. At low speed, mix in milk and egg and Tangzhong so that no flour is visible.

5. Add in room temperature unsalted butter and mix at low speed.

6. Slowly turn up the speed to high and mix until all dough sticks together.

7. Take the dough and fold it around and underneath itself shaping a smooth ball. Place dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rest for 40 minutes to an hour.

8. Test the dough by poking your finger down into the middle. If the dough does not spring back, it is ready.

9. Divide the dough into 6 equal parts (by weight). Take one piece of dough and fold it over itself. Turn it 90 degrees, slap it on table and fold it over itself again. Using both hands, mold the dough into a ball. Repeat with rest of dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for 15 minutes.

10. Roll each ball of dough out flat. Fold flatten dough using thirds. Turn 90 degrees, and roll dough into a roll, pinching it together at the seam. Place 3 molded dough into a baking pan and let it rest for 30 minutes, letting it rise.

11. Brush with egg wash and bake in the oven, preheated to 355°F for 25-30 minutes.

Ingredients:

Tangzhong: 40g bread flour and 200g water

580g bread flour, 60g sugar, 12g salt, 10g dry yeast, 10g dry milk, 260g milk, 50g egg, Tangzhong, 50g room temperature of unsalted butter

> egg wash (1 egg yolk + milk)

PleasantBedlam007 t1_j4xp1u1 wrote

Impressive! Those look great, wish I could bake bread that looks even half as good as that. Nice!

NightsWatch23 OP t1_j4xpgwt wrote

Thank you! It took me a lot of trial and error to be able to bake like this. I'm sure you can bake something as good as this someday! 😊. Just continue practicing and remember the errors or adjustments that you made while baking 😊. Use it to improve your skill😁

TheWatchfoolRedditor t1_j4xvyiy wrote

For someone who has never tried milk bread but is very tempted, could you try and explain the taste best you can? 🤣

hot_sauce_and_fish t1_j4xytvy wrote

I am willing to go to hell and back up to heaven to make sure that everyone is cool with my Mom. There is no question about my Mom.

The process involved my Mother, my brother, my Father, and my Self. No joke.

And I do not want you to take it all on by yourself and think that it is easy. It is not easy.

NightsWatch23 OP t1_j4xzpaq wrote

Your mom is so lucky to have the whole fam help her with the bread making! You and your fam are phenomenal! I'm the only one who do all the bread/baking stuff at home and most of the time my back and hands are aching. My fam supports me with endorsing my products to their friends and they help me wash the dishes which really help a lot

hot_sauce_and_fish t1_j4y1q1t wrote

I want to be real.

Nobody helps. Those that show up do all the work. And then I stopped showing up. It was me and my little brother and he needed a law degree and I needed a Masters in Computer Science and the other 6 children didn't care.

I know how much care went into that bread. I appreciate it.

Richrome_Steel t1_j4yr78y wrote

This is beautifully delicious looking bread. Well done!

RCT2man t1_j4yrwqc wrote

This is the best thing I’ve seen on Reddit all day.

NightsWatch23 OP t1_j4ysoh6 wrote

Hi, I did have some trouble with the baking time. I did 330F for 40mins (oven with fan). And I used ceramic loaf pan (conducts heat slower than glass and metal loaf pans). My fitst and second time of making this, my end product has a raw dough thats why I have to adjust the baking time and temp.

Ok_Wolverine_4832 t1_j4yucfk wrote

Did you add powdered milk ? I don’t have any powdered milk so I don’t know if I can just skip this part or do I have to replace powdered milk with something else. I’m scared if I don’t add powdered milk it will change the texture of the dough.

EightBitEstep t1_j4z1m89 wrote

Not OP, but my fear of ruining food outweighs my desire to learn. The possibility of making something inedible isn’t worth the chance of making something mediocre. Luckily I am privileged to have a wonderful wife who enjoys making delicious food.

chickpeapuff t1_j4z7164 wrote

omg i thought i was looking at 12 little loaves at first

Meandering_Jicama t1_j4zavn7 wrote

Bread that looks amazing and OP actually provides the recipe? Day made. Thanks, OP.

jjang243 t1_j4zfs63 wrote

This look beautiful and yummy 🤤

mfomatratzen t1_j4zm0ew wrote

I ate this type of bread my whole childhood and adolescence, always from the local bakery. Probably I was in my mid 20s when I moved out of my country and I realized, 1. this is not “common” bread in other parts of the world, and 2. it’s made with milk.

brandokid25 t1_j4zrxe1 wrote

Milk bread rolls are so amazing. When I first made them I could never go back to grocery store rolls again.

Out of all the bread doughs I’ve made and had trouble with, I found that milk bread rolls were the easiest for me. If only I could stretch out a pizza dough as well as I form the rolls 😅

cannotfoolowls t1_j4zubjw wrote

I wonder if Chinese/Japanese milk bread came from the English/French/Belgian/Dutch milk bread or the other way around. Or not related at all.

102aksea102 t1_j4zxmao wrote

Way to go, OP! They look amazingly delicious!!

shelovesmystery t1_j4zz2st wrote

Good job! They look so perfect and delicious. I've never made bread, but this makes me want to try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

NightsWatch23 OP t1_j500eqo wrote

That is so true! I made several variations of bread using this dough! I made korean sausage bread, ham and cheese bread, pork floss buns, Chinese hotdog buns and moreeee. Every bite is always so soft and everytime I made these buns its always gone the next day😆

Ledeberg t1_j500gmj wrote

people still eat milkbread ? i thought victorian times were over

RatherBBakin t1_j501xe2 wrote

Looks great! I made some milk bread over the weekend and the dough was not cooperating! It wouldn't get smooth and it stayed tacky! It was frustrating!

UserOfCookies t1_j50245n wrote

I'm getting some real Kiki's Delivery Service vibes over here.

ronnietea t1_j5038af wrote

How do you milk bread? I see zero utters

cannotfoolowls t1_j507cj4 wrote

from what I can find milk bread was brought to the UK from Japan around 1862 which is 6 years before the Meiji restauration. But I don't think it was invented in Japan because bread is not really an East-Asian thing. The Japanese word for bread is literally taken from Portuguese (who also kept trading access to Japan). This type of bread seems very European to me.

cmg1rl t1_j50eymh wrote

my mouth is watering

mama_emily t1_j50gc5c wrote

Milk bread to go with your milk steak

inlinefourpower t1_j50jy77 wrote

This is similar to Hokkaido bread? Had that in China almost 7 years ago, been meaning to make some ever since.

aditya1604 t1_j50ot4t wrote

How do you get the top to brown so nicely? My bread is always pale!

NightsWatch23 OP t1_j50tpdi wrote

Yep apply on top of the dough after 2nd rise and beforw baking. On other types of bread, they dont put egg wash on top before baking but they put it in the middle of the baking, but it might affect the dough so I do t recommend it. They do it on korean sausage bread. If you want a more shiny and perfect top, apply the double egg wash method. Put 1 layer of egg wash on top, wait for few minutes for it to dry out a bit, then apply 2nd coating of egg wash

_W1T3W1N3_ t1_j5164nq wrote

Cooking time can vary wildly for the size of oven, position in oven, heat conductivity of pan, air flow in oven, preheating time of oven, and even the air pressure, air humidity, characteristics of the flour and particular density, amount or wetness of dough, especially with bread, which is why one must always learn to use the senses and become accustomed to understand where everything is in the process and how it needs to be adjusted to achieve the intended results.

NightsWatch23 OP t1_j51w4ds wrote

Dont add too much flour though! Just continue mixing for low for avour 3 to 4 mins then switch to high speed for 7-8 mins until dpugh is not sticking on the bowl. Then do the windowpane test to check the gluten development😊

RatherBBakin t1_j52f1wm wrote

It was mixing for well over ten minutes! And it's a recipe that worked for me before, idk what happened

At one point it climbed up over the hook and got some of the grease from the mixer in it. I threw that one away!