Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

MojoLava t1_ivyr0mt wrote

That's kinda neat. In the small ass studio I used to rent my sister came to visit around the holidays and was very disappointed in my lack of decoration

Bought a $5 string of lights and used thumb tacks poked into the wall to create a "2D" Christmas tree looking design zig zagging the lights back and forth. Was surprisingly festive

monkeyhind t1_ivyv3ln wrote

Yes, I live in a room where space is limited, a half tree to hang on the wall (or the back of the door) sounds pretty good!

orangutanoz t1_ivzkusn wrote

I have a big ass house and this still seems like a good idea. We’ve always had our tree either near a wall or in a corner where there’s always dead space in back. Only problem is my wife and kids like the real trees.

StuffinYrMuffinR t1_ivzol4l wrote

Just go in hafsies with your neighbor and cut a real tree in half /s

Winjin t1_iw057hy wrote

I wonder if you can actually do something like that. Just need to epoxy the cut or something. Or at least remove the back branches altogether. Make wreaths out of them or something.

TheBaddestPatsy t1_iw051x4 wrote

Last year I went with a friend to get a real tree from federal land that allows cutting for a $5 permit. We got it from a windy part of the forest edge, and about half the trees were bare on one side. That’s where I’m going to go get my tree this year. Of course an easier option is just to buy one and prune the branches off of one side

Elelith t1_iw24c5b wrote

Atleast where I live they often times sell "Lopsided" trees cheap. We used to get those for christmas because we couldn't afford a pretty ones :3

EwokShart t1_iw4l4sg wrote

I had to deal with that until I said “I am not cleaning up nor taking care of the tree this year”. Next Year? Boom, artificial tree with changing color lights that the kids love.

orangutanoz t1_iw4skvf wrote

I just do the cutting and putting it up and take away. I let the kids decorate and stuff.

dominus_aranearum t1_iw0n17i wrote

I just had my kids paint a Christmas tree on the wall a couple years ago. It's still there and will work again this Christmas.

AccidentalDM t1_iw2aror wrote

I bought a ‘living christmas tree’ - aka an italian stone pine seedling about 1ft tall for our first christmas in this house, in ‘19.

I planted it in our front yard and now it’s almost 5’ tall. I wonder if I can convince my partner to let that be our only christmas tree. I can get a mantle piece or something to get the smell in the house, instead of arguing with trying to find a place for an actual tree in the house.

triceraquake t1_iw0x2dc wrote

I tried to do this, but used some command strip hooks… which was a bad idea. Some of them pulled paint off my apartment wall. Would’ve been better if I just used tacks.

Engineer_Zero t1_iw4f3hg wrote

Some people need to lower their decoration requirements haha. All that crap needs to be stored thru the year

MarkusRight t1_ivynyr1 wrote

/r/funnyandsad people are living in smaller homes than ever before because they cant afford to buy large ones so they are forced to downsize to smaller space saving Christmas tree.

SanctuaryMoon t1_ivyusuh wrote

I just put up my Charlie Brown tree like a normal peasant.

Few-Swordfish-780 t1_ivz1san wrote

Or doing it for environmental reasons. Smaller the better. One of the many reasons I sold my three bed/3 bath suburban hell hole and moved into a condo in the city.

CIMARUTA t1_ivz62vx wrote

That's exactly what I thought lol. Selling you less for the same price and pretending it's a good thing.

kelldricked t1_ivz3zx2 wrote

Not really sad. You dont need a whole ass house for one person.

Wanna know whats sad? The fucking insane diffrence between having clean drink water run out of your pipes and needing to go to a well or a shop to get water.

Be happy you didnt grew up in flint.

jefgoldblumpkin t1_iw00x9y wrote

The suffering Olympics don’t really benefit making real progress towards class consciousness globally they just cause us to have petty arguments with each other.

While access to reasonable housing is not as bad in relative terms as not having safe drinking water both bode ill for the future of humanity as a whole and both need addressed and not swept under the rug. We can be upset/outraged at more than one thing at a time and hold different levels of outrage for each and this is not a conflict of values or hypocrisy it’s just the complex nature of human suffering and reality

Mds_02 t1_iw1433u wrote

You know what’s really sad? Dying of thirst in the desert. People in Flint need to be happy they have water at all.

See how you sound?

kelldricked t1_iw1ltmk wrote

My point is that we dont need a big house. Hell living smaller wil fix tons of problems, especially for the US.

jefgoldblumpkin t1_iw3pv7w wrote

Building more affordable reasonably sized housing would solve many problems but no one should be forced to live in a space that doesn’t meet their basic needs. The right sized housing will look different for families, individuals with physical disabilities, single people with pets etc.

This is a zoning issue though and not an issue of lifestyle creep or spoiled first world countries necessarily.

Older houses tend to be smaller whereas now everyone wants to make huge homes and luxury apartment complexes to maximize profits and property values.

I know lots of people that would love a tiny home but even those are cost prohibitive in the current economy. Housing is becoming a crisis and skyrocketing homelessness is the likely result unless we work together to address the true underlying causes.

kelldricked t1_iw499mn wrote

I completly agree with you. Nobody should have to live in a place that doesnt fit their basic needs. So what basic needs does a single person have? Does a single person need a house with multiple bedrooms? No they dont. Having a second one is already plenty.

A bathroom, kitchen, livingroom and bedroom is plenty. And how big every room should be? Well enough to support a few guest but you dont need the room for 6+ people pernemant.

The larger your house, the more energy you require. The more polution you create. Its not fair that we all live in big ass houses and that people in underdeveloped nations cant due the same shit due to climate restrictions.

jefgoldblumpkin t1_iw4b9a2 wrote

Are one or two random internet strangers on Reddit qualified or capable of determining the individual and collective housing and happiness needs of a complex and changing society? No, no they are not.

Is it pretentious and condescending to ask rhetorical questions in an open forum and then provide the answer yourself eliminating even the semblance of an actual discussion or debate? Yes, it is both pretentious and annoying.

Have a nice day and enjoy your career in housing and development as well as your dedicated philanthropy efforts towards underdeveloped nations. Clearly you are an expert and totally unselfish, if only we could all be more like you, random noble enraged internet person ;)

DeTrotseTuinkabouter t1_ivzjwut wrote

>/r/funnyandsad people are living in smaller homes than ever before

Eh, sort of sad. In the Netherlands square metres per person has increased over the past decades. But that's because we are living with less and less people per household.

Of course, homes themselves might still have gotten smaller.

Uyee t1_ivzl1k9 wrote

Ever before? How far back are you looking?

Oomoo_Amazing t1_ivzk61t wrote

I live in a pretty normal 2 bed terraced house, it’s not so much that I don’t have enough space it’s that I don’t keep a large area clear for 11 months just to put a tree up for one.

tafjangle t1_ivyvukg wrote

I’ve a fake tree that I build each year. Last year I only made the top half to take up less space. This year I’ll just build the front of the top half. Now I have way too many baubles.

Q_Fandango t1_ivzy7pd wrote

Baubles in a tall glass vase or a big platter/bowl. You can pick up a fancy silver bowl for nothing at Goodwill… ours doubles as the Halloween candy dish

amobilephoneaccount t1_ivyub4v wrote

People with fake trees have been doing half and quarters (to fit corners) for decades. This is just a dumb article sensationalizing normal things.

Automatic_Soil9814 t1_ivyvv9i wrote

I hadn’t heard of it so I thought it was cool.

kspot t1_ivz2c6b wrote

r/hailcorporate

Why was this story a Reddit notification????

thescamperinghamster t1_ivyyt87 wrote

Yup, I make mine oval at the bottom to fit the gap it needs to fit in, then can round out once it's past the sofa arm.

avoidtheworm t1_iw2dmeb wrote

In the newspaper industry, this kind of articles is called "ad".

CountChoculasGhost t1_ivyy9v1 wrote

I live in a reasonably sized house, but there is only like one corner that makes any sense to put a tree with how our living room is set up. The issue is, that corner is pretty small. I would love a 3/4 corner tree. That would fit perfectly!

thescamperinghamster t1_ivyz1tf wrote

Just don't put some of the branches in on a normal fake tree, so it's 3/4 at the bottom, and once you're half way up, it won't matter that it's a full round again.

Smooth-Owl-5354 t1_ivz2sfu wrote

Can you elaborate on what you mean by “don’t put some of the branches in”? Because the fake trees I’ve seen are split into 2 or 3 sections along the trunk. Each section, however, is a full circle. The branches fold into the trunk like an umbrella, and I can’t just fold some of them down— they all are up or they’re all down. Are there artificial trees structured differently than that?

thescamperinghamster t1_ivz3o3x wrote

Mine, and others I've had, has a central lower half pole with bits/holes for putting the branch clumps in, so there's 4 layers of branches each with their 8 branch clumps which you fluff up, so each layer has spokes of branches so to speak. But you can put as many or as few in as you want, and they don't have to be on their specified layer. I make the bottom of mine oval to fit the gap by just switching this round a bit. The top half is just one big bit that I fluff up.

But it's just a cheap 6 foot (they lie it's nearer 5 foot) Sainsbury's tree.

Hope that's made some kind of sense.

Smooth-Owl-5354 t1_ivz3zby wrote

That’s interesting, thank you for sharing! Your description makes total sense. I may have to look into that style because it sounds so much more versatile.

juulhandluke t1_iw059q6 wrote

You should go with a 1/4 tree…a 3/4 tree will just take up the same amount of room as a regular one

TotallyHumanPerson t1_iw02rtd wrote

Place it against a mirror and get a virtual full tree and double-sized living space!

diacewrb OP t1_ivyl2zm wrote

>Argos’s fake tree has built-in fairy lights, hangs on a hook and sits flush on the wall – ideal for a tight space

I suppose these are good for folk living in a hamster cage sized apartment.

jjj49er t1_iw6ogvh wrote

You can just say "New Yorkers".

jeffreywilfong t1_ivzu4o6 wrote

I wouldn't mind a 1/4 tree that fits nicely into a corner.

clearcontroller t1_ivzk5le wrote

This is disappointing. They're only a hit because it's impossible to find anywhere big enough to put a traditional sized tree

insufficient_funds t1_iw1582r wrote

My aunt used to do this with her artificial tree 30 years ago… she’d just not put on the branches for the back side

Wildtopaz2 t1_ivzhj1a wrote

I used to do this with my artificial tree when we didn’t have a ton a space. I only puts enough of the branches on to cover the front when pushed in the corner. Then i hung a green sheet on the wall to keep all the white from showing through. Worked great and couldn’t tell it wasn’t full. Saved a TON of space!

bonobro69 t1_iw0ori6 wrote

r/aboringdystopia

Paper-street-garage t1_iw0qv5w wrote

I like this, but at the same time, it’s sort of speaks to the fact that young people can’t afford a home. Thus living in small space. 😬

Digital_loop t1_iw19py4 wrote

I have a fake tree and I pit it in the corner each year. Half the branches just stay pointed up instead of extending them. Been doing it for years!

SteelAlchemistScylla t1_iw1lvtu wrote

This is just dystopian tbh. People don’t even have room to fit a Christmas tree.

UncommercializedKat t1_iw5sudz wrote

>“This works brilliantly. I was so impressed I bought two.”

Should we tell her?

John5247 t1_ivzldb4 wrote

It's selling well because the British live in some of the smallest houses in Europe. Developers cram as many houses onto a plot of land as possible.

Regarding the toddlers and cats problem you should try hanging the tree upside down off the ceiling.

jgeebaby t1_ivzn7f7 wrote

This is not a new thing at all

ManWith_MovieCamera t1_ivzqrjm wrote

Anyone else call that a chanakua bush growing up?

It was nice to have, but we were always out of down day of Christmas on vacation, but totally a nice memory.

Just tell me I’m not the only one

sendokun t1_ivzxy5l wrote

Actually this is better than normal tree because we all put trees by the corner back to the wall. It’s just dead space and a total waste anyway.

joe32288 t1_ivzz765 wrote

Ya I would definitely use that.

redEPICSTAXISdit t1_iw036p3 wrote

🤣🤣🤣 we've had ours almost 10 years. Nothing new!!!

CyberNinja23 t1_iw066ui wrote

No couch moving for me this year

Head-like-a-carp t1_iw0hc2i wrote

I thought this was a trend of couples who split.

Kebab-Destroyer t1_iw20acx wrote

My wife and I have been doing this for years. We use a regular artificial tree and just leave some of the branches folded up and tuck it into the corner. We "reinforced" the base with a cardboard box and some weights - which is essential because otherwise it'd fall over with the weight of the ornaments.

Saved you £45, you're welcome.

Vaultcontainspanda t1_iw2ed3c wrote

My husband and I were given one of these years ago when we moved to Florida. We have named it “Tree Fiddy” and pin a dollar to it every year. I even made it a Loch Ness monster tree skirt.

11fingerfreak t1_ivziemv wrote

> Depending on your point of view it is either genius or a depressing idea…

I’m in the latter camp. This is depressing.

333H_E t1_ivyyype wrote

Why is this a thing now? Artificial trees used to always come in 2 parts. You had to assemble the top to the bottom. Which was easier to decorate everything but the lights on the top portion.

−1

DeTrotseTuinkabouter t1_ivzk280 wrote

Because it takes up less space...

333H_E t1_ivzkvrc wrote

I get that but it's not like it's a new "wow" breakthrough or anything. That's my point, that goes back to 60's/70's at least.

DeTrotseTuinkabouter t1_iw0gmvp wrote

Then say so. You only questioned why this was a thing and something about top to bottom.

333H_E t1_iw0i4tg wrote

Actually I did.

DeTrotseTuinkabouter t1_iw0nn66 wrote

You didn't mate.

>Why is this a thing now?

You seemingly not understanding why this is a thing.

> Artificial trees used to always come in 2 parts. You had to assemble the top to the bottom.

You commenting on top and bottom parts, different from a left and right part / only half a tree which can be put flat against a wall.

>Which was easier to decorate everything but the lights on the top portion.

More about the top.

Mr_Festus t1_iw0svp1 wrote

You're not understanding the half correctly. It's not half, as in top and bottom. It's half as in front and no back. Like it sits flat against the wall and is a semicircle shape as opposed to the normal circle. I don't believe that goes back anywhere near the 60s or 70s. It's legitimately a new product.

333H_E t1_iw0w0ww wrote

Ah. That is a different iteration, which explains why it's a thing now.That makes sense.

routerg0d t1_iw0qqyl wrote

Inflation hitting Santa hard.

#thankschina

−2