Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

DJ_Firth t1_iudoioo wrote

Hah, that's a funny one.

I'd just live with it, they're travel headphones anyway right? Bound to get a bit of wear and tear over time.

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iudoxi6 wrote

IKR, but stuff like this bother me so much. I'm such a perfectionist that every little scratch bothers me. Guess this might be smth to force me to work this annoying quality of mine out 😭

DJ_Firth t1_iudxcxo wrote

True, I bought a fancy watch and 2 days later scratched it. Was a painful week but after another week I noticed another fine scratch and then I realised I'm just enjoying it and using it as it should be and now it's no longer 'perfect' I don't need to worry about other minor marks, just enjoy it - it's mine, I don't have to return it - once I got over that it was bliss.

Also I dropped my XM2 headphones couple years back in my second week of ownership, 2 minor scuffs to the outer of the headphone which are noticeable, again - after that I felt bliss that I could now use them without worrying aha.

You got this, enjoy the brilliant ANC and relax in public transport with the knowledge your ears will be more comfortable than 90-100% of fellow passengers ;)

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iudxs5a wrote

This is so me hahah. I remember getting the s21 ultra and feeling so bad about those minor scratches, the micro ones - now, after like an year of ownership and I don't gjve a single flip. I have 3 deeper scratches and it's kinda whatever. I think i really need to work on simply enjoying stuff and not worry as much. Warranty is there for a reason. If someone does break, the brand should have my back (if it falls under warranty that is)

Thanks 😊❤️

foxyoutoo t1_iuegp7x wrote

Curious about the watch you got that got scratched. Almost all expensive watches have sapphire crystal glass so it’s incredibly tough to scratch it. Or was it the bracelet? Depending on the colour and metal it’s possible to buff or polish the scratch out if it’s not a deep scratch

DJ_Firth t1_iufmgtm wrote

Wasn't the crystal or bezel, just the steel 👍

foxyoutoo t1_iufmsls wrote

If it’s silver coloured steel I’d suggest looking into getting it buffed out. If it’s not too deep it can be a viable option. Or embrace the character it brings it :)

thatgirlinAZ t1_iuemnun wrote

I was about to recommend a sapphire crystal for his next watch. I've had mine for over a decade and it's still scratch-free.

foxyoutoo t1_iuenkcr wrote

Almost all watches above low end should have sapphire crystal faces. It’s become a lot more common place and it’s much better for the Watch community. I used to sell watches and I found it’s more about teaching people that sapphire is even an option and why it’s worth it to save another $100-200 in the long run. My faces are fine after all this time, even when my bracelets are not

Pikez98 t1_iue4l61 wrote

If you are such a perfectionist why did you make the mistake to buy them in white? No matter what you do, you can't keep them clean.

Pinecone t1_iuep18z wrote

Or take it out of the box.

Nothing you use can stay perfect forever. You have to learn to get over it

JaceUpMySleeve t1_iuew62p wrote

Almost for certain some strong rubbing alcohol will clear this up. Or silly putty.

rocima t1_iui4f0y wrote

Came here to say this. But careful, the pleather will absorb stuff (oils from plasticine or putty, or alcohol itself) & the white coloring may be subject to marking or staining for the same reason.

Probably the safest is let it wear off.

As a curious art conservator however I'd first find what dissolves/removes the ink using Tic tac packets as my guinea pigs, and only then see if the same stuff works on the headphones (do safety tests first on an invisible part of the band)

Standard operating procedure: leave testing on the object itself to the last phase if possible.

peanut_butter_lover4 t1_iue4nw2 wrote

They come with a case, no?

I have the XM4s and anytime they're not on my head, they're in their case. No stains or scratches as a result.

tbcb2 t1_iueugm7 wrote

Put some IPA on cotton and rub it off.

ackstorm23 t1_iueyn3e wrote

then why did you leave then like that in the first place?

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iuf7ds3 wrote

I was really sleepy, was listening to asmr and I was ready to snooze so I took them off, put them aside and immediately went to sleep mode. Sadly, I didn't see the box, nor would I ever think that's a possible outcome 😔

thirdtimesthecharm66 t1_iuf2vw4 wrote

actions speak louder than words mate

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iuf752v wrote

True that. I'm still struggling with 'new products' anxiety. Everytime I get something new I worry as if it's alive. I really am trying to work on that 😊

thirdtimesthecharm66 t1_iuffv8q wrote

yeah i'd like nice stuff but i grew up poor, moved a lot and have 3 sisters

and i'm absent minded (which ain't great)

so even though i like things in top condition i don't really care. that said, i rarely buy anything actually worthy of keeping nice either so. c'est la vie

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iufrliq wrote

Uh, I feel ya completely. I'm very lucky to be able to afford such items, that'd why I worry so much, cause I know the absence of them :( Stay strong buddy ❤️

canadiandude321 t1_iufcv9e wrote

As long as it still functions as intended it doesn’t really make a difference.

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iufsc9k wrote

THIS. I'm working on being okay with little stuff that don't even impact the performance of the device. This is one of them. Thanks.

canadiandude321 t1_iugoulg wrote

Good luck! One thing I always try to remind myself is not to stress over things that are out of my control. I find that helps.

kris2340 t1_iufjmm3 wrote

Probably comes off with isopropyl alcohol but so might the colour

Ok-Psychology-1420 t1_iuexll2 wrote

You hate tictacs? How is this not your fault?

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iuf7nq0 wrote

Now I do hahaha, also not to mention the bad aftertaste, so yeah, now I really do :)

deshan79 t1_iuffhlr wrote

it's just the pads at least...they will be replaced eventually

Momisato_OHOTNIK t1_iuepxmv wrote

Have this problem too but with my laptop. Can't seem to get rid of this but after all it will get some wear anyway, and if it does it's job just as good as when I got it that's really all that matters

xk4l1br3 t1_iufq9rn wrote

I used to be that way and then I had kids... now things like that mark just glance off my ego.

Logical-Luke t1_iuhdmfw wrote

I had the same issue with my nc700 and some ballpen ink… i tried to fix it with tape and some alkohol… both were stupid ideas and ruined the cushion to the point were some of the surface dissolved itself, while the ink faded just from wearing it within a few weeks. Just relax, dont do anything stupid to them and if it doesnt fade you still can replace the cushions:)

g3org3_all3n t1_iufd576 wrote

Why buy white if you're a perfectionist? Lol

−1

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iufs6zc wrote

Black ones are notorious for showing a LOT of fingerprints and grease. Also, I am always going with black so this time I wanted something different. Otherwise. You're a 100 percent right 😭

g3org3_all3n t1_iuh8c59 wrote

Ahh okay fair enough. Yeah I have the black pair for the xm4s and they're a bit of a fingerprint magnet

AV1611-FOSS t1_iuesa5j wrote

That is not a flaw, it's "patina".

The fun will really begin when it transfers to your face!

szakee t1_iudmi9g wrote

cloth and rubbing alcohol.
probably even dish soap.

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iudn3i8 wrote

Yuh, just tried that. Won't budge. Guess I might be stuck with this 😔

tyhofmann t1_iufb7z4 wrote

Did u try 91% alcohol? Electrical contact cleaner too but be careful

jcdish t1_iue7s7x wrote

Magic eraser? It'll take off a bit of material but if you're careful it shouldn't be much.

UncleSam_TAF t1_iugc907 wrote

Acetone, aka nail polish remover does a good job of removing marker/inks. Put some on a q-tip and rub gently.

SpiderFnJerusalem t1_iugsvbo wrote

Acetone can destroy some rubbers and plastics. I would be careful with that.

SteveThePirate_69 t1_iue2tja wrote

Duct tape for if it moves and shouldn't, WD-40 for if it doesn't move and should, and rubbing alcohol to clean up grease and duct tape residue.

−8

ArdowNota t1_iuem5hv wrote

Dude your next step is gonna be sanding it...

SmashedSugar t1_iudxpui wrote

If it bothers you that much replace the ear cushions.

CetirusParibus t1_iugo1po wrote

I'm not sure why I had to scroll this far to see this comment. This doesn't seem like it's worth replacing the pads for, but this is the route to go if OP can't stand the tattoo good headphones went and got

Klayer99 t1_iudw368 wrote

Atleast now you have a solid expiration date!

Doccks71 t1_iuf1sn0 wrote

Yeah, and then you get moar headphones!

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iudlz52 wrote

As the title suggests, I went to bed, left my headphones next to me (apperantly one of the cups was sitting on a box of TicTac. Nows the next day and that's what i see permanently printed on them. Any idea if I could somehow remove this without damaging the cups :(

Kinda looks cool tho, ngl. Makes them stand out in a way, but still, I'd remove it if possible.

Thanks in advance :)

km_Keys t1_iudrgs3 wrote

It's your own signature touch!

km_Keys t1_iuf765o wrote

Just cause it's random too, wasn't purposely placed there

AIaris t1_iue70de wrote

if you really want to you could get replacement ear cup pads

JaceUpMySleeve t1_iuewbyq wrote

Double down and try to do the same thing all over the ear pads.

Anxious-Place-9460 t1_iudnpwa wrote

Magic Eraser by Mr.Clean will take almost any Ink off anything. Might be your only option.

Extension_Ok t1_iudxzat wrote

It's abrasive and might remove the ink and the leather at the same time.

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iudobja wrote

Oof, I'll have to check if we have it in my country, otherwise I'll just have to accept it being there, 😔

krugo t1_iudoyzw wrote

Look up "melamine sponge" - the non brand name of this item

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iudpiq9 wrote

Will do so, thanks for the advice ❤️

AaronJoosep t1_iudszlz wrote

This is too funny Im sorry

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iudt923 wrote

It's impressive how unlucky I am 😥 But yeah, it is kinda funny 😭

AzCu29 t1_iudy3ei wrote

IPA is the solvent of choice for that kind of ink.

mhyquel t1_iugesm2 wrote

West coast or New England? I think I have a regular pale ale, but it's heavily hopped.

Will that work?

Pankaj135 t1_iudzuj0 wrote

Just wear them, they'll rub off in weeks' time....

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iudzyxc wrote

Yeah I tho of that too. Most of the time when I buy something that uses this type of ink, the ink just starts to rub away, so I'd hope this happens here as well.

Lukaroast t1_iuey6nl wrote

Yeah I think the oils on your face is going to do a better job of breaking it down over the short term

EmperorsarusRex t1_iudu3ew wrote

Acetone lol

rwb2406 t1_iudzj5i wrote

Nail polish remover (diluted acetone) might work, just unsure if it would damage the material

nevertoolate1983 t1_iuehewv wrote

Will almost certainly damage the material.

Just leave it. I think natural oils / regular wear will take care of this over time.

Momisato_OHOTNIK t1_iueqosh wrote

Yeah it will vanish with time, I wouldn't be using any agressive liquids on this

uncle_jojo t1_iudxioe wrote

Magic Eraser will tear that material. I was going to suggest “Goo Gone” orange oil. Use a Q-tip and try a little on the material on the back side before trying to remove the ink.

DwellerInIce t1_iue8o2r wrote

It's not that bad honestly. Worst thing that can happen is leaving blue marks on your ear if sweat with them. Barely an inconvenience. Plus you get to have a signature pair.

Symmitrius t1_iuffrh5 wrote

Nglthey look kinda cool

I_am_the_eszedy t1_iugjpoc wrote

I had a similar thing happen to my xm5s but it was a ballpoint pen mark. Rubbing it didn't help so I just left it be, and one week later it disappeared!

echo1-echo1 t1_iudrgxv wrote

try a little lighter fluid like the kind for filling zippo lighters (not butane), or try a little paint thinner

irago_ t1_iuds2z9 wrote

But be VERY careful if you do that, it could ruin the cups

minnesotajersey t1_iudw42e wrote

Lighter fluid is actually very gentle. Retail trick for cleaning up display items, esp electronics (ex Radio sHack employee).

echo1-echo1 t1_iue3627 wrote

Lighter fluid, aka Naptha, is commonly used by guitar players to clean their fretboards

irago_ t1_iue63vc wrote

Sure, but depending on the type of plastic in the earcups, those solvents could disintegrate it, while wood is fine

echo1-echo1 t1_iuec25n wrote

Ya you’re right to point that out. if it’s plastic based faux leather, a solvent on too long could damage it

hextanerf t1_iue1hil wrote

You can probably buy oem replacement pads from encompass.com. whether it's worth the money is up to you

Neoaugusto t1_iue2p1a wrote

This might come off with use... by sticking to your skin

tinyman392 t1_iue4j5h wrote

It may end up rubbing off with use. Sweat and friction can do stuff like that over repeated exposure. Though your pads as a whole will see wear anyways.

If you really don’t like it you can always get new pads, but I wouldn’t go that route unless you’re trying to tweak the sound or comfort with a new set of pads anyways.

GSC1000 t1_iue4lxs wrote

You can get those off with acetone.

I wouldn’t out of fear of destroying the fake leather

Independent_Yam_625 t1_iue4zbh wrote

You’ve got the world’s first headphones with an expiration date! Just be careful not to get that thing printed on the side of your head now as you wear them. 😂😂😂

SavageSam1234 t1_iue51wa wrote

Try using a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and alcohol, or with GooGone, or with acetone.

JayRyan76 t1_iuea6ao wrote

If it makes you feel any better you are probably the first person to do that ever

Rainjam t1_iuecce3 wrote

Haha, sorry but that's hilarious! As for what might help, try to get ahold of some Isopropyl alcohol, 99%. Generally very useful for cleaning electronics and whatnot, might also be able to remove the lettering.

MonkeyTime420 t1_iueci5c wrote

Get another pair and leave them touching overnight and it'll transfer :)

secretBuffetHero t1_iuednc4 wrote

Get a little rubbing alcohol and put it in a towel. Rub on the printing and see if it dissolves the print. Hopefully it doesn't damage your headphones. Seems like it could be removed

Kn14 t1_iuegpx7 wrote

I kinda like it! Now you’ll always know that those ones are yours if you ever need to prove it!

twatsmaketwitts t1_iuegyqb wrote

Isopropyl Alcohol won't be enough to remove this. Unfortunately, the leather is porous and so it'll have worked it's way slightly into the leather.

The ink used for this type of print uses M.E.K solvent (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), which is much more hardcore. Easiest thing to hand that's similar is petrol, but this could easily soak into the ear cup or take the finish off as well.

One solution would just be to paint over the ink with a Paintmarker that has a good colour match.

jojowasher t1_iuehn7o wrote

at least it is on the inside! try windex on a Q-tip, I have used it to remove ink from other things.

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iueok1v wrote

I would just like to thank every single one of you that gave a suggestion on what I should do. My final decision would be to just leave it. It looks kinda cool, plus being unique is not a bad thing :)

Thanks once more. Much love ❤️

chris22783 t1_iugnb4v wrote

Look up how to get dye transfer off of light colored leather - typically any leather cleaner will do.

SukoKing t1_iuerc0w wrote

That’s actually cool though, if you hate it that much just replace the ear pads but it looks cool to me

JoMaster68 t1_iuetn0n wrote

looks cool if you ask me. Also makes them more individual.

Stiggles98 t1_iuevley wrote

Try olive oil;

Alternatively, write over it with a dry erase pen, and wipe that off.

wutqq t1_iuewxiq wrote

Most random post award lol

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iuf7s74 wrote

It happened so randomly hahah, was just about to watch something and I was this print on them. Idk why my immediate thought was to make a post 😭

BionicSammich t1_iuey37m wrote

They are totally useless now, just give them to me and I'll dispose of them for you.

Just aside if it was me, I'd get a pair of new earpads from Sony (assuming you can) and I'd just live with it until you want to sell them and fit the new earpads then.

Undrcovrlsm t1_iuf8p1h wrote

you could switch the ear pads so the print is facing the back of the opposite headphone, less/not visible at all that way.

axl3ros3 t1_iufapn2 wrote

90% rubbing alcohol Or magic eraser Or both

(Careful w eraser...they are melamine foam...have teeny tiny abrasives...rub till comes off no longer)

Maybe nail polish remover instead of alcohol or goo gone

spidernel t1_iufgwg4 wrote

Apply a few drops of bleach on it for 5-10 minutes, then wipe it off.

Strickens t1_iufhfgo wrote

Acetone. Or mineral turpentine. Just use a very tiny amount on a qtip and have a wet rag handy to wipe it off straight after.

TallJaguar754 t1_iufhmj7 wrote

Put more prints on it msk it into patterns

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iufrgo5 wrote

THIS. I was thinking of getting a permanent marker and just doing smth cool, make a whole skin out of it hahaha

dimesian t1_iufjl5g wrote

It looks quite good, tell people its a short run designer edition.

DCBlackout t1_iuflzv4 wrote

It gives it a sense of wear/use. Like a scar, it sort of tells a story

Sharkyzane231 t1_iufmiph wrote

idk if it works the same with permanent markers, but try writing over it with a whiteboard marker and then rub it off.

moisespedro t1_iufmixp wrote

If you hate TicTac why do you have a box of TicTacs right next to you? that's kinda funny

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iufr2rx wrote

NOW I DO, I didn't do so before this happened. Plus, I never realized how bad of an aftertaste they left. Again, NOW I do.

Lugiawolf t1_iufpeom wrote

I had something similar on my XM5s! Happened a few weeks ago but when I went to check a second ago, it's gone...

Maybe yours will wear off too?

FalsettoFlyin t1_iufpzkr wrote

Guess your going to have to get the bathys now lol

Kzero_ t1_iufuwy4 wrote

you have a new serial number

5uperman8atman t1_iufxwru wrote

That's annoying! My Sony XM3 has a black smudge on the outer ear cup. They are the light colored ones, like these. I just have to live with it. I can't clean it off. It seems to almost be soaked into the plastic

pbandham t1_iufyjgf wrote

Rubbing alcohol on a q tip

psycop t1_iug6q58 wrote

Alcohol swab.

CJHSparta t1_iug7lc1 wrote

Good thing it's on the ear cushion, you would tend to replace them every year or two when it starts flaking anyway

Basboy t1_iug8lr3 wrote

Lay another XM5 over it and transfer it over to that one.

Terakahn t1_iugewvs wrote

I'm sure you can clean it off.

mhyquel t1_iugexkk wrote

Surprisingly, sunscreen might do the trick.

FivexXxSeven t1_iugif4g wrote

Isopropyl alcohol should wipe it off without damaging anything.

Most coding inks are not alcohol resistant.

soboi12345 t1_iugjrik wrote

Try a bit of white vinegae + lime juice + dishwashing liquid and dilute it with water.

Then slowly dap a cotton cloth on the mixture and rub it

After that immediately take the sry end of the cloth and rub over the area, them dab the cloth in water a bit and clean it finally and dry it again with dry cotton cloth.

While doing this stretch the area of the pad a bit, will help.

Lemme know if this helps.

inorebez t1_iugq5t2 wrote

Iso alcohol will likely take it off.

BBQQA t1_iugqi7m wrote

Side note, I LOVE my XM5s! I bought them just because I do a lot of work from home, and have a little boy... so I needed something with good noise cancellation and good mics for noise cancellation too. These have been a god sent. No one can here it when my son is absolutely losing his shit in the same room, and I can hear the perfectly too lol

Them sounding great is just the icing on the cake.

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iuhk0kw wrote

YES RIGHT. I'm so tired of people shitting on them. They are awesome. Also so comfortable.

TheWolvis t1_iugv314 wrote

I’d get like 50 more tic tac boxes and just make both the pads completely covered in them, could be a cool aesthetic.

chsch98 t1_iuh3mu5 wrote

I used to be bothered by things like this or scratches on my phone. But this means you use your products as you should, and now yours is unique!

srkrb t1_iuhddgw wrote

Is it possible to rub it off with alcohol/sanitizer?

Ariuslol92 t1_iuhmhjk wrote

I think yohr XM5s are about to expire. U should throw them away

Stage_demon86 t1_iuhpoot wrote

Get some rubbing alcohol and a q tip…should clear things up

ChrisLikesGamez t1_iuhsj27 wrote

Here's a fun way of thinking about it, you have a one of a kind tic tac stamped XM5 pair!

That's awesome and also disappointing, I feel ya, I'm a perfectionist as well, but even this would make me laugh.

You could try 99% isopropyl alcohol and scrub it out.

FancyFan4049 t1_iuhuk08 wrote

Your headphones got a tattoo, cool

TrueF0xtr0t t1_iui0dca wrote

Try a napkin/cotton ball with a little bit of ethyl alcohol, it dissolves most inks but its not strong enough to affect the earpads. I would recommend taking the earpad off and dabbing a little of alcohol in an inside part, just un case it does affect it, you wont ruin a visible part.

Ashamed_Power t1_iui4ixq wrote

Now put a white paper on it over night and it will be white again, don't use anything translucent because you might disappear the headphones. Trust me on that.

CalypsoRaz t1_iuj9ehc wrote

Mr Clean Magic Erasers, my friend.

Pale-Professor t1_iufq4x9 wrote

ah well, time to buy something decent?

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iufqy2r wrote

Sorry?

Pale-Professor t1_iufr7ik wrote

hmm? you have the equivalent of $5 apple earpods with top tier noise cancelling

−1

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iufre4p wrote

Ah, you are one of these people that don't like others enjoying something. Gotcha.

Pale-Professor t1_iufrkm0 wrote

no not at all, i just don’t know why anyone would buy these when they’re objectively crap, they’re barely better than a pair of Beats

−2

DwelfGG_ OP t1_iufs0m5 wrote

Tested them side by side with a pair of 800 euro audiophile headphones and I Hated the audiophile ones, whilst after adjusting these with the Sony app and Wavelet (an EQ app I love to use on my phone), these are my favorite headphones, period. You need to understand that for the majority of people those sound amazing, I am one of them. Tried to enjoy audiophile stuff, I hated it, because it was too serious. I want to have fun with sound. That's my opinion, but I never went out of my way to call the said audiophile headphones "trash" - cause they ain't. We all just have different tastes.