Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PsychologicalAgent64 t1_j7xwhju wrote

Fall River to Boston at 7am in 45 minutes is impossible.

Beantownbrews t1_j7yykdu wrote

100% this. I’m coming from a different direction, but my 1 hour commute is constantly 1.5 hours, and sometimes 2.

that_one_dude13 t1_j80bft1 wrote

I don't wish to say how I know this but it's an hour, hour 15 min drive. That's with out finding parking though, which is always a bitch AND with traffic that's still moving some what, the real focus would be that 5pm departure. She wouldn't be getting home til 7 imo

BostonDodgeGuy t1_j7xs5p3 wrote

I'm closer to Boston than she is. At 7am that 45minute drive is at least an hour and a half in bumper to bumper bullshit. And leaving at 5? She'd get home faster walking.

GoodRiaStory t1_j7xud2k wrote

This. She is in for a rude awakening if she’s only giving herself an hour (assuming when day starts) to get to Boston from “Fall River Area”. Also, you might as well pack dinner if you leaving at 5.

Username7239 t1_j7ximot wrote

Does she have a reliable spot or choice thereof to park if she drives? Might be way easier and slightly cheaper to take the rail. Parking in the city is expensive and nightmarish.

Biggie_cheees t1_j7xjxt0 wrote

So far she doesn't know so I'm assuming the answer is sadly no

Quercus-bicolor t1_j80cczl wrote

Yeah, parking is like $30/hr in some garages. I’m sure a monthly parking pass is priced for executive level pay. Parking meters are hard to find one open and they usually limit time to an hour or so. Pay lots are mostly buildings now, but would be a 15-20 min walk outside of the core of the city.

Ken-Popcorn t1_j7xm2u3 wrote

I live à whole lot closer to Boston than she does, and I can’t get there in 45 minutes, she needs to rethink that

itsgreater9000 t1_j7xkc5l wrote

firstly, she should try both, see what she prefers. i take the T into boston for work and from the edge of 95 (waltham), it's about 30-40 minutes, depending on the commuter rail being... you know, american infrastructure-y.

really, just check the commuter rail schedule, it's the "ideal" version, but shows you the length of time it should roughly take: https://www.mbta.com/schedules/commuter-rail

also make sure you choose the time when checking google maps for driving - it defaults to current conditions, but modifying it to rush hour times will show you, it's a way worse drive...

also we could really help a lot better if you would let us know the commuter rail stop and the orange line stop she needs to get off at.

Biggie_cheees t1_j7xkkuz wrote

Alrighty, thank you. Yeah I think she checked at like 11pm lol so that makes sense

Animallover4321 t1_j7z13a4 wrote

I would recommend using Waze you can plan the trip up to a week in advance and the estimates are pretty accurate. But there is absolutely no way she’s getting from Boston to Fall River in 45 minutes at 5 maybe an hour to get to Boston if she leaves by 5 am.

kobeyashidog t1_j7xp2h1 wrote

I would take the train in absolutely if I was that far away. At least try it, differences could be negligible or slower on the train, but you have all that extra time to do work/study/sleep/sit/Reddit

UltravioletClearance t1_j7xvmh6 wrote

I don't think there's any single commuter rail train that is 2.25 hours. What commuter rail station are you looking at? The stations in the "Fall River area" aren't open yet.

The closest station near there is Middleboro/Lakeville. Assuming worst case- that station to Forest Hills, is 1.5 hours.

pep_c_queen t1_j7z33nk wrote

This is what I was wondering… did they see a southcoast rail map or the stations under construction and think they’re open?

The Middleboro station to south station by car at rush hour is at least 1.5 hours whereas it’s 1 hour on the train.

blananagram t1_j7y90ur wrote

Where is she planning to park and how much is she willing to pay to park? That’s the number one reason not to drive into the city.

BigScoops96 t1_j7yul4p wrote

Commuter rail. Route 24 and then the expressway at 5 AM is painful enough, can’t imagine it at 7

Bawstahn123 t1_j7ys9ha wrote

Being able to avoid the hassle and expense of parking in the city is well-worth the train, even if the train takes longer... which is in and of itself a questionable conclusion.

DumbshitOnTheRight t1_j7zoifv wrote

45m from Fall River to BOS during rush hour?

Hahaha.

I will add, hohoho.

fit_geek t1_j7z1jtu wrote

Driving to the orange line and parking at forest hills seems the way to go for me. the commuter rail is SLOW, but once you're on the T its not as bad.

pstark410 t1_j7z51nq wrote

She needs to try both approaches on work days at the times she’s planning on commuting and compare.

Day_trading_degen t1_j7zfwgr wrote

I live 15 min from boston, I’m lucky if it takes me 45 min to get in there during traffic. Especially using 93n

eaglesnd t1_j807fl0 wrote

Braintree to Boston can't be done in 45 minutes most days

lufecaep t1_j80ouh8 wrote

Speed doesn't matter, take the train. Get in a nap, do some reading etc... Plus parking is going to costs 100s of dollars.

piggyazlea t1_j81hx4i wrote

Boston to Boston takes 45 mins to an hour at 7 am

savory_thing t1_j7z4r7k wrote

Let her drive it and find out for herself

frankybling t1_j7zcnx0 wrote

unless it’s a holiday (like Thanksgiving or Christmas level) getting from Fall River to Boston at 7am is probably a 2 hour drive minimum. Around 6am the traffic starts around the Bridgewater area on 24N it loosens up a little up by Avon then can be complete gridlock until you get to the Tip O’Neil tunnel. I would definitely recommend the train, she would probably need to go to Middleboro to catch the train or Bridgewater… I don’t think the CR is running further south yet.

noodle-face t1_j7zecd8 wrote

Neither is as fast as you think. Commuter rail bonus is it's consistent

Beematic83 t1_j7zy3ql wrote

I’m currently in Randolph. Randolph to Boston with HOV(occasionally State Police patrolling entrance) would take an hour. With out SP patrolling then you’re shit out luck because single car goes in as well. Randolph to Fall River is 40 mins drive alone.

BrokedownAlice69 t1_j7zy6ss wrote

Have her try driving then have her take the train. Unless she likes traffic, she will chose the train. Plus is you can get an extra hour of work or sleep in on the train ride in.

Switching to the orange line is just a pain in the ass. Always is and always will be

BovaDesnuts t1_j808xyo wrote

Make sure she checks the date and time for the Google map.

JaKr8 t1_j80ewwa wrote

The stress level will be lower, as will the cost once you factor in parking, if you take the T.

It may not be quicker, but it will start and end the day in a much more relaxed fashion not having to deal with the stress of traffic.

lufecaep t1_j80pxzp wrote

There's no easy route from Fall River to Boston. You need to get a comercial bus from Fall River to Providence, then take the T to Boston. It looks like two buses to get the Providence. That's why it takes two hours. I'm guessing that's going to add up price wise.

PakkyT t1_j81rrqa wrote

Providence RI to South Station Boston is 1 hr 15 minutes or so. There is ZERO chance of making that drive in less than that during rush hours. Plus when on the commuter rail you can do other things besides driving such as reading a book, getting another hour sleep, needlepoint, play games on your phone, watch a movie, practice the bagpipes (ok don't do that one), etc.

icwhatudiddere t1_j846ohm wrote

Depends how much you value your free time. I used to enjoy driving, but traffic really became super bad for my route starting around 2015ish. I had to give up my very fun manual transmission car because I spent my entire commute stepping on the clutch pedal and my leg was just sore at the end of the day. Eventually even though the commuter rail was slightly more time, I realized I could read a book, listen to a podcast or browse Reddit for a couple hours a day during my commute. I got home relaxed and ready to get on with my evening and I never went back to driving, even during the pandemic.

icwhatudiddere t1_j846pjd wrote

Depends how much you value your free time. I used to enjoy driving, but traffic really became super bad for my route starting around 2015ish. I had to give up my very fun manual transmission car because I spent my entire commute stepping on the clutch pedal and my leg was just sore at the end of the day. Eventually even though the commuter rail was slightly more time, I realized I could read a book, listen to a podcast or browse Reddit for a couple hours a day during my commute. I got home relaxed and ready to get on with my evening and I never went back to driving, even during the pandemic.

icwhatudiddere t1_j846r1f wrote

CRoss1999 t1_j85wje5 wrote

Besides time worth considering that the time on the train she can do whatever she wants but if she drives she is busy driving, I used to like to have breakfast on the train