Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Peeeculiar t1_itpayej wrote

And then she gets to claim some type of phobia because people voted her down.

She's a clown and is only doing this for the press and can claim "look at how *-ist they are." She's playing a Illhan Omar card.

The-Shattering-Light t1_itpi7ix wrote

This is an extremely reductive position.

Amini wasn’t killed because of a hijab - she was killed because of a misogynistic, theocratic government uses force to control women.

Equating her death to a hijab is not only inaccurate, it is insulting to people who choose to wear it. It represents a racist reactionary and misogynistic position itself.

LetMeSleepNoEleven t1_itpicb6 wrote

The hijab itself did not kill her, so the analogy to the police who killed George Floyd is not apt. She too was killed by police.

It would be like naming a day “$20 counterfeit bill day” in his memory.

I agree the naming of this day is inappropriate

LetMeSleepNoEleven t1_itpixo8 wrote

No. She was killed by police brutality, as he was killed by police brutality.

For Floyd, it was because of a $20 alleged counterfeit bill; for Amini it was because of a hijab.

In both cases the police are the killer. In one the hijab was the prompt and in the other the $ was the prompt.

So the hijab is analogous to the $, not to the police. The police are analogous to the police.

SurprisedByItAll t1_itpndof wrote

Agree with you, in Iran young ladies removing their hijabs as a symbolic sogn of equality and freedom are being beaten and killed. Mahsa lost her life so to celebrate they're celebrating the hijab? It's twisted and sick like massachusetts politics so no surprise. Who pushed for it? Ayanna Presley?

lurkandpounce t1_itpodn6 wrote

Why does this even rise the the level of Boston City Business?

Cheap_Coffee t1_itpp5xt wrote

Yet another meaningless, feel-good gesture.

Now, back to Boston business, perhaps?

Ellarael t1_itpugec wrote

The horseshoe comes full circle

successiseffort t1_itpwa5f wrote

Never thought I'd see the day of Boston celebrating theocratic patriarchal oppression

Women must be modest!

Clown world

modularmaniac420 t1_itpwtcp wrote

It’s a buzzkill when you come here for leaf pictures or r/Boston for Storrow pictures and end up having to reply to some hateful clown who has nothing better to do than troll us. On the other hand, I appreciate the effort you took to write your thoughtful post, it can real help clarify the issues.

UniWheel t1_itqt1g6 wrote

>The hijab has nothing to do with her murder, and is importantly symbolic to many people who wear it.

That's tone deaf, too.

Being allowed to wear one by free personal choice is indeed important.

But being compelled to wear one is unacceptable.

And that's why the association with a person who's death resulted from events originating in the "crime" of not wearing one is absurdly intolerable

LetMeSleepNoEleven t1_itqubo1 wrote

This is just how analogy works. They made the analogy. I pointed out the flaw, analogy-wise.

In any case, one can make analogues between two things in different systems. There’s nothing wrong with that. In each case, police killed a citizen without cause.

coolpotato14 t1_itqw515 wrote

Well, I think the idea of this holiday is celebrating a woman's right to choose to wear her hijab in America. Apart from the rules of the religion or laws in other countries. To me, this holiday says that no one should be killed because they are wearing a hijab.

​

Edit: I do agree though that women should not be forced to wear a hijab. And I think the holiday is poorly named.

UniWheel t1_itqxodq wrote

>Considering it’s this country where the recognition happened, claiming what you have is not reasonable.

You're being absurd.

The "recognition" that happened was not of the right of free choice - what's being recognized by choosing the victim of compulsion's birthday is not the right of free choice, but rather the abhorrent elsewhere tradition of misogynistic compulsion.

That's not something to celebrate in a free society, and none of your transparent lies can make it so.

If you want to celebrate the hijab as a personal choice, do it on some day of significance to that as a choice such as a religious holiday, or on a random day, but not on a victim's birthday specifically chosen to celebrate an act of literally murderous compulsion.

We see your lies for what they are.

abluetruedream t1_itqzwge wrote

This is what has me so confused. I actually like the idea of a day recognizing the freedom of choice in wearing a hijab. But naming the day “hijab day” and putting it on her birthday makes it seem like she was killed for wearing a hijab not refusing to wear one. I actually had to go Google her name just to make sure I was thinking of the right person. The reference in a comment to George Floyd along with the name “Hijab Day” made me wonder if I had missed hearing about a women being killed here in the US by police for wearing a hijab.

On Ice Cream Day we celebrate by eating ice cream. On National Sibling Day we celebrate by telling mushy or embarrassing stories about our siblings. On Hijab day it would be natural to think it implies people should wear and appreciate the hijab more and have the freedom of religious expression. To put it on the birthday of a woman who was killed because she didn’t wear a hijab is really in poor taste. The optics are terrible and just confusing regardless of what the intention is.

abluetruedream t1_itr0uap wrote

I don’t think anyone is saying that having a “Hijab Day” is bad. Supporting the freedom to individually express your faith is important. But creating it in some performative attempt to honor someone who died because of rejecting the hijab is pretty awful.

Do you really think Masha Amini or any other woman fighting religious oppression in Iran would be happy to be memorialized by something called “Hijab Day?”

SileAnimus t1_its69ku wrote

Because a bunch of old white middle/upper class dudes in Boston probably aren't very in touch with something happening on the other side of the globe?

It's not complicated

lurkandpounce t1_itsd8a3 wrote

>Many Islamic people are under attack for being Islamic.

You're right, there are moronic people out there afraid of any differences.

I completely sympathize with that, and that should be corrected... but I'm pretty sure this action will neither help that problem nor be interpreted as a solution to it.

edit: clarity++