Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

aden_feifdom t1_jacykc4 wrote

it’s worth every penny for the schools

−10

Careful-Explorer-503 t1_jad3oyw wrote

Just did some quick googling- NJ is number 1 in the US for education, no. 2 is Massachusetts with an average prop tax of $5,600. 3 is Florida with an average prop tax of $1752. Again just some quick googling and I’m not sure how accurate it all is but if it is right then maybe the education isn’t the justification we think it is.

Nexis4Jersey t1_jado9f2 wrote

I doubt Florida is number 3 for education..

Careful-Explorer-503 t1_jadyh2j wrote

Why?

Nexis4Jersey t1_jae0d73 wrote

Florida has some of the worst schools in the country , they're notoriously overcrowded...teachers paided horribly and graduation rates are some of the lowest in the US.

Careful-Explorer-503 t1_jae7ewd wrote

I’m trying to to find something to substantiate your claim and I’m coming up a little short. But I do see bad schools in states with otherwise great schools, especially in Massachusetts. I see that Florida is in the top 20 for graduation rates in the country. And I’d say teachers are not paid what they deserve in any state. I’ll add that teacher pay has been a long contested issue in NJ, so hard to point the finger from where we stand (NJ).

[deleted] t1_jae8bdg wrote

[deleted]

−4

Careful-Explorer-503 t1_jaee1hl wrote

Well it’s easy enough to google yourself but I can see you’re more interested in arguing politics than finding the truth.

YawnTractor_1756 t1_jadglio wrote

Is it, though?

There are 21% of people under 18 in NJ which amounts to 1.85 million students.

Average tax bill is almost 10k, 2 households pay $20k per year on average. Take away police and fire and roads, and schools are getting around $15k per year from 2 households.

$15k/year is enough for an entry-level private school. 2 households should basically be providing enough through taxes for a single student private school per year.

There are 3.3 million households in NJ, the state as a whole should be collecting enough to pay entry-level private-school education for ~1.6 million students, or 85% of all students in NJ.

Do 85% of NJ public school students get entry-level private-school education? And if not, is it really worth every penny?

SleepyHobo t1_jadqzpw wrote

Only great for people who already own a home and want/have kids. The education you love so much costs so much money that the kids being educated won't even be able to afford to buy a home in the state they were taught in.

PracticableSolution t1_jae6r8m wrote

Then leave. Last I checked, NJ was still growing. So either cope with the fact that while expensive, it’s a popular arrangement, or shut up and get out.

−5

uplandsrep t1_jad2pts wrote

If it means that the teachers have all the supplies, support and benefits they need/deserve to be excellent educators than why would I resent this simple solidarity, happy teachers bring out the most in their students!

themagicalpanda t1_jad4b5d wrote

>If it means that the teachers have all the supplies, support and benefits...

does this include pay? because imo the biggest concern is that new educators arent entering the field and young educators are leaving the field because the pay is atrocious with the amount of shit that teachers put up with.