Submitted by SnooBooks4898 t3_11w2ui0 in newjersey

It seems like I hear about Newark “coming back” every couple of years. However I just read about a developer’s plan to build a 15 story, 200+ unit residential/retail building right in the heart of downtown. Is Newark on the upturn?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Dozzi92 t1_jcw4bkj wrote

This one feels legitimate to me, considering I'm seeing more than just shovels in the ground too. I also know nothing.

fltlsyko t1_jcw7uv7 wrote

Jersey City is nearly stuffed to the gills with highrises, Newark is no doubt next in line. The gentrification near the PATH is already started, it's going to keep spreading.

peter-doubt t1_jcwaaw9 wrote

200 units in 15 floors isn't much out if line with the buildings we saw from the 60s-80s. I just hope it has a tasteful exterior. Newark can use some attractive construction... all too often it's similar to everywhere else

EssexCountyBreakdown t1_jcwdxjr wrote

Yeah, I agree with this. Transportation into NYC is pretty convenient from Newark. I'd say it's really just a matter of time.

I've been working downtown for 20 years now. There's been a steady pace of development, between construction at the colleges, residential conversions (the Walker House, Eleven 80, et al) and new development like the Shaq Towers. Things seem to be accelerating.

LateNightNewYork t1_jcwffme wrote

High rise luxury apartment construction has been been happening downtown for the last decade.

Even outside of downtown, literally everything has improved in the last 10 years.

GhostOfRobertTreat t1_jcwi43g wrote

Come over to /r/Newark if you’re interested in a development discussion. There’s a lot more current under construction and a ton more planned.

Newark is large. When we say “Newark’s comeback,” we should be clear what we’re talking about. Which is generally a Downtown that’s competitive with Hoboken and JC in terms of nightlife and residential options.

There are areas of the city that still struggle with crime and poverty but even those areas are much safer and better off than say 20 - 30 years ago. On the other hand, a single-family home near me just sold for $1.2M.

thebruns t1_jcwjucc wrote

It's basically been one (1) new building a year for the last 10 years.

Last year was Urby, this year is Shaq building

−4

srddave t1_jcwopqk wrote

Like 5-10 years ago. There are cranes and developments going up everywhere in Newark. It’s crazy.

free_acelehy t1_jcwqs55 wrote

Did they ever finish the Museum Of Science And Trucking over by the Esplanade?

jackietreehorn313 t1_jcwua36 wrote

>Is Newark on the upturn?

Uh, where you been? It's been on the upturn since 2016. The University Heights area and Downtown is getting built up.

Nexis4Jersey t1_jcx5rao wrote

There were just 10 redevelopment posts made to r/newark , and there's usually one made once a week...the current redevelopment boom has been going on for the last decade mainly in the Downtown / University Heights and the Ironbound.. Only in recent years has that begun to spread to other sections of the city...

Jimmy_kong253 t1_jcxceso wrote

I've worked in downtown Newark for the last 20yrs it doesn't deserve the bad reputation it has. But outside of events in the Prudential center or njpac and walking in branchburg park it's really a boring city for stuff to do. Once you do one portuguese restaurant over there you done em all. There's not much of a interesting street life over there either just homeless

−3

Thisismypasswprd t1_jcxeszz wrote

You HEARD about one building? They've been putting up building for years. Op just woke up after 30 years of sleep

Lower-Link t1_jcxkwmo wrote

There are also informative posts on jerseydigs.com

Rainbowrobb t1_jcxt91e wrote

If you can managed to beat corporate investment firms, absolutely!

Lowkeylowthreadcount t1_jcxu4l2 wrote

People have been saying this since the early 2000’s. Much like Jersey City, there are parts of Newark closer to the path that have slowly become more gentrified, but there are also deep pockets of both places that don’t have great access to public transit and because of that will not even be flipped into neighborhoods with white people taco spots and boutique coffee shops.

Lost-Recording3890 t1_jcy518z wrote

It’s been slow & grinding, but downtown Newark has really been up the up. I think the Whole Foods was the grand marker for gentrification. I have my reservations though because the city is still plagued with problems & nobody in their right mind would willingly subject their kids to that school district. In all likelihood, downtown and adjacent areas will get NYC professionals and hipsters, but the outlier regions will remain bad.

fltlsyko t1_jcyfoq3 wrote

Yup, that's just how gentrification works in cities. That's why you don't see NYU students and families from the Midwest with strollers walking around Canarsie. I was just making a generalization, one would have to write a whole essay to address the way every neighborhood will be affected individually.

storm2k t1_jcyhew2 wrote

based on most of the new construction i've seen everywhere else in the city, it won't be. it will be the same cookie cutter bs that gets thrown up everywhere. at this point the only places you see "interesting" facades are usually when they redevelop historic buildings and they try to keep the historic facades.

Sinsid t1_jcyljtv wrote

Nope it’s been close to 10. My son is 11, he went to a daycare off valley road. That shit was under construction since he was 2 at least. When he hit kindergarten we held a feast at my home. The feast of no more paying for daycare and commuting through a construction zone.

chinasucksmyballs t1_jcyma4n wrote

I drive that every single day. It’s been under 5. Maybe you’re thinking about the surrounding area like the Van Houten area but the actual 46/3 split is around 5 maybe less.

It can’t be 10 cuz I have been living here for 9 and the construction didn’t start til a few years after me

sutisuc t1_jd1jj6f wrote

It’s gentrifying pretty rapidly now

sutisuc t1_jd1kn6q wrote

Yup you’re right. Especially when you compare Newark to other similarly sized cities there’s really not a lot going on but that has more to do with NYC being ten miles away and most of the action being concentrated there.

sutisuc t1_jd33sr5 wrote

You shouldn’t even have had to clarified since you literally stated you were talking about areas close to the PATH. This guy just wanted to pull a “well actually” and pretend like he knew something the rest of us didn’t