Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

spiritfiend t1_ivlxzqa wrote

Some towns did their redistricting following the 2020 census. Double check that you went to the right polling location: https://voter.svrs.nj.gov/polling-place-search

Also double check your registration: https://voter.svrs.nj.gov/registration-check

Aromatic_hamster t1_ivlz8s6 wrote

And if all of that is correct, they should give you a provisional ballot at your polling place if your name is not there. Happened to me a few years ago. I even had my sample ballot with me so there was no confusion about whether I was in the right place.

sandybuttcheekss t1_ivmtqbq wrote

Piggybacking here, check before every election. I check several times just in case there's some fuckery.

Duh-2020 t1_ivqr5a4 wrote

Political fuckery.... in New Jersey! Never happens.... ...Sand clear of me... ⚡ Lighting ⚡ may strike me any second... if I'm lying.

No need to worry...

[deleted] OP t1_ivlwa85 wrote

I had it happen years ago....I didn't move, I vote in every election. I ended up having to use a provisional ballot. Thankfully, when I checked on it later my vote was recorded.

rewardiflost t1_ivm86k6 wrote

The people at the polling place absolutely should have given you a provisional ballot, as u/Aromatic_hamster said.

I had this happen about 35 years ago. A neighbor had reported that I moved out of the district. I was away at the police academy. Nosy neighbors can suck sometimes.

But, thankfully the folks working at my polling place knew me well enough, and did the right thing by offering me the provisional ballot and explaining the next steps.

I would complain to your local board of elections about this.
See if you can find out why you were removed, and register your displeasure with the people who did not help you.
You have the right to have your vote counted.

If you have time and the stomach for it, you can still go back there now and ask for a provisional ballot.

As u/spiritfiend pointed out, make sure you are going to the correct polling place. A lot of us have new locations to vote at.

THE_some_guy t1_ivmxvnx wrote

I know this isn’t the point of your post, but TIL that the police academy is actually a place you go away to. I always thought they just made that up for comedic effect in the movie.

Fatalorian t1_ivn2trt wrote

It depends.

The NJSP have a residential academy (during weekdays).

Other police training institutions in the state are not residential.

Shadhahvar t1_ivojy0m wrote

Seems strange that a random stranger mentioning you may not live somewhere anymore can affect your voting registration.

elmwoodblues t1_ivol0pv wrote

Right? When a strange car parks in front of my house it takes two weeks for cops to act, but a Karen can disenfranchise your vote with a word?

What could possibly go wrong?

Dastinezybeanzy t1_ivmnrtf wrote

In the State of New Jersey, if you are registered for vote by mail but need to go to your polling place on Election Day, you can but you will be given a provisional ballot. The board of elections will then review that you did not submit your vote by mail ballot and then accept your provisional ballot. Check for yourself https://nj.gov/state/elections/vote-faq.shtml under vote by mail FAQ

Turbo_Dog6 t1_ivmphca wrote

That’s weird because I’m registered by mail. I got my ballot late and said fuck it I’ll wait until Tuesday. Took them a second to find my name but was able to vote in person with no questions.

4ndr0med4 t1_ivncduh wrote

When we switched from a yearly to a permanent vote-by-mail system, my mail-in ballot never arrived and I had to vote with a provisional ballot.

Turbo_Dog6 t1_ivndkkg wrote

Dude I’m 0-3 in mail in ballots, I’ve tried it but I absolutely can not endorse it. Only one where I moved was 2020(I moved and updated my info in May however) but I get the logistical issues given the situation. It was also extra frustrating with Murphy cranking one out and patting his back about the amount of vote by mail ballots NJ did. Just felt like a slap in the face to someone who has voted in EVERY election since turning 18.

Nobody here is going to like to hear it but I have 0 faith in the mail in system and to be honest it’s shit. I’d rather support a blockchain based digital system before mail in ballots. This year the only reason I got a ballot is because I had to reach out for them to send it. I still only got it Friday before Election Day.

How did I know I didn’t get it? Well I received mail in ballots for 2 other random people to my address. Just a 0/10 system all together and has left a sour taste in my mouth. At least my work offers up to 4 hours PTO for voting, I still usually just get there first thing in the morning and it’s never an issue. I plan ahead.

Nobody mentioned anything provisional about my ballot though when I signed in to vote.

−6

rockmasterflex t1_ivn5b1s wrote

The newer machines let you vote provisionally still on the machine.

msyodajenkins1 t1_ivlxdey wrote

Just happened to me now in Ringwood!! Invalid something or other. I’m furious.

Vegoia2 t1_ivm3si1 wrote

sign up to vote by mail, you vote early and then can track your vote online to see when it's received. Best thing I did, since the same old lady never could find my name and it would just piss me off till someone would look and show her.

Motivator9931 t1_ivm8p6d wrote

You can also vote early in person up to 10 days before the election (though it's obviously too late for that now). I voted last week in the middle of the day, not a single person was there other than the election workers. Was in and out really quickly.

You_Are_All_Diseased t1_ivmszq3 wrote

Yeah, multiple locations per county and you can vote at any of the ones for your county. They’re open all day too. It was super fast and easy.

Ckc1972 t1_ivn19od wrote

I loved this too. Will do from now on.

lotusvagabond t1_ivlyan6 wrote

Can you get a provisional ballot?

msyodajenkins1 t1_ivlyfjn wrote

Yes I filled one out and they’ll send it in. Unbelievable. They had no answers for me either as to why this was happening

rockmasterflex t1_ivn58r6 wrote

No need to be so worked up then. Provisionals are manually reconciled - your vote will be counted unless you already voted by mail or have an invalid registration.

ZippySLC t1_ivotuxx wrote

> No need to be so worked up then.

I'd argue that disappearing off the voting rolls for no reason is a good excuse to be worked up. Yes, they can do a provisional ballot but they deserve an explanation for what happened.

rockmasterflex t1_ivouuqm wrote

In NJ it is TREMENDOUSLY difficult to pull people off the rolls. Everyone should be confirming their registration yearly regardless just to be sure they weren't erroneously purged, but what VERY LIKELY happened here is that sample ballot with a new district on it went straight into the trash and he showed up at the wrong polling location.

JStan2023 t1_ivn1rc2 wrote

happened to multiple people i know including an entire family.... also check that your vote did get counted after the election..

DinnerDiva61 t1_ivnactk wrote

I signed up to vote by mail years ago. It shows up at my door about 1-1/2 months before Election Day. We fill it out and drop it in the local Dropbox. My son has an issue last year. They sent us a new form and he filled it out and by Election Day he was in the system. We all do it by mail now. Haven’t had a problem since and we moved here 22 years ago.

MarzipanJoy-Joys t1_ivm77du wrote

itisnollid t1_ivn6b9i wrote

Unrelated, but I was surprised they didn’t ask for my ID. I even asked, so you don’t need to see my ID, and the lady said no. I don’t know if it has anyways been this way; I guess we are all on edge now with how voting has become. Politics aside, is that normal?

4ndr0med4 t1_ivncnc7 wrote

Former Poll Worker here.

New Jersey doesn't require ID to vote, however, there are a few exceptions.

When you first register, unless you never did it at the DMV, you will be asked to give your license. You can use your social if you don't have that (or a state ID). We do have a few individuals on our books that will mention they need to be verified, whether that's to make sure their address is correct (especially for first-time voters) or some other rule. I don't know why else they do it, but we may ask to just have a form of ID if it is explicit. Otherwise, we will not ask, we are discouraged from asking.

For Proof of ID, both photo-id and non-photo ID, including the sample ballot, a bank statement, even your Costco card, works.

purplepickles82 t1_ivoee0e wrote

Idk where u voted but my license was scanned by the poll worker at the table where they usually would just look at it and match the signatures. They even commented how much easier it is now to process voters.

michaelcreiter t1_ivmt4dl wrote

I went to the wrong polling station for my district, had to fill out a provisional

TheDCModerate t1_ivojm6c wrote

Always check before going. My polling place changed too

dit68 t1_ivomp46 wrote

Ever ask why ballots don't have sequential serial numbers? Would be easy and secure. Ask the party in power. See how they run!

Vividagger t1_ivp3vqp wrote

Back in 2020 I registered to vote by mail permanently I got my mail in ballot that year. I never received my mail in ballot for this year and when I reached out to my county clerk I was told I never registered for mail in ballots. I almost wasn’t able to vote due to my work schedule but my boss let me leave early because of how important each and every vote is.

Edit: spelling.

MilkMoustacheMF t1_ivp7vrq wrote

Happened to my brother, he just had to fill out a paper ballot

Duh-2020 t1_ivr1jy1 wrote

In the words of a Cook County, I'll precinct committeeman .... Vote early, Vote Often !

Of course, I am trying to remind everyone to vote in primaries and minor local elections, as well as National ones.

Source: I was.one. Instructions given to us to pass along.....

bacon-wrapped_rabbi t1_ivrhk6t wrote

Some years ago I moved back from living abroad. I had been using my parents' address for everything, so I was still registered to vote there when I no longer needed an international mail ballot. Even got a new license and checked to make sure I was still registered. Went to vote at that local polling station and I had to get a provisional ballot. But my brother, who had never lived at that address, and my deceased grandmother were registered there.

Big_P4U t1_ivmjgso wrote

If you ever voted by mail in the last couple years, you forfeited your right to vote in person.

−33