Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mikere t1_it4low3 wrote

paper straws are the WORST

wahikid t1_it6t8qa wrote

Right? How did people ever even LIVE for the decades that we all used paper straws exclusively, before plastic straws were a thing?

drcordell t1_it7o6sm wrote

They used “straw” straws made out of actual reeds. Honestly they’re pretty great!

wahikid t1_it7owl2 wrote

No, we all used paper straws. From the late 1880’s up till the mid 1960’s, paper straws were used almost exclusively. Somehow, they were totally acceptable and didn’t kill or maim massive amounts of people. Now, I am under zero illusions that plastic straws are the single most environmentally damaging use of plastic, by a long shot. Just that to say that they are the worst, or unusable, is laughably false.

heepofsheep t1_it8id0o wrote

I don’t know why people hate them so much… they work just fine for me and don’t fall apart in the 15min I might use one before throwing it out.

mikere t1_it8rcu9 wrote

For me, when I get a large soda from mcdonalds, it usually ends up sitting on my desk the whole afternoon while I take brief occasional sips. By the one hour mark, the paper straw is too soggy and so I have to take the lid off and drink without the straw. just a minor inconvenience imo that I don’t really care about

The biggest problem I have with paper straws though is it ends up giving whatever I’m drinking a tinge of cardboard flavor

heepofsheep t1_itab8v6 wrote

I feel like you got more of a casually drinking soda over long periods of time problem then a straw problem.

−1

heystarkid t1_it4ot96 wrote

Why is it a requirement that the plastic straws available by request are non-compostable?

BarriBlue OP t1_it4q1wa wrote

>Failing to provide a single-use plastic beverage straw that is not compostable to any person who requests one may violate the reasonable accommodations provisions of Title 8 of the Administrative Code of New York City. This is subject to enforcement by the NYC Commission on Human Rights.

ExposedTamponString t1_it4qrgq wrote

….how does this violate reasonable accommodations? Are there people who are allergic to paper?

ExposedTamponString t1_it4w2kw wrote

Oooh that does kind of make sense. However this is probably just a loophole that plastic lobbyers found.

meantnothingatall t1_it4z0lk wrote

There are way bigger fish to fry than straws.

PTERODACTYL_ANUS t1_it5v8oq wrote

speaking of fish, fishing waste is like the largest single contributor to ocean plastic

ctindel t1_it5ihnm wrote

Yeah the rule is as dumb as banning 32 ounce sodas

iRedditAlreadyyy t1_it6148c wrote

Still cracks me up when I get a paper straw to use with my clearly single use plastic cup when I grab my coffee

ctindel t1_it6zfth wrote

Exactly! And all the single use plastic cutlery and plates.

Though by cracks me up what I really mean is it makes me irrationally angry about the stupidity of the whole thing.

iRedditAlreadyyy t1_it8vzdr wrote

I’m fine with it if they just go all the way. Blue bottle has really nice paper cups with bio lids. I’ve used eco friendly “plastic” forks and knives and they work just as well as the plastic ones. Just go all the way and not half ass it with a paper straw in a plastic cup. Or at least allow me to refill my water bottle at a slight discount. Works for me too

Curiosities t1_it69hid wrote

No, this is legitimately a disability issue. Plenty of folks in the disability community have shared their experiences when these bans started passing all over.

This site that hosts this chart is for and by disabled/chronically ill folks: http://creakyjoints.org//wp-content/uploads/1019_Straw_Chart_Logo.jpg

From one of their pieces on this topic:

"These materials can also create unintended consequences. Plastic straw alternatives can be made with ingredients that contain corn, gluten, and other major allergens. This includes the glue used on paper straws. Despite assurances of safety from organizations such as Starbucks that have switched to compostable options, people are having to go to the ER in anaphylaxis because of these allergens. There are currently no regulations stating that allergens in these straws must be shared and there is little research about how many people with allergies have reactions to these straws."

IvanIsOnReddit t1_it6qga5 wrote

I get the spirit of reducing plastics but we’re not going to save the world with this. We still need to get rid of plastic packaging. 10 cheese slices in a thick plastic bag, come on!?

drecklia t1_it52ilb wrote

Why can't they carry their own straws?

−7

Ambitionlessness t1_it54hl7 wrote

Why can’t disabled people carry their own straws?is this a real question?

drecklia t1_it55pyc wrote

Do you not carry around your metal straw?

movingtobay2019 t1_it57n7z wrote

No?

drecklia t1_it57ugt wrote

−3

TheBeesBestKnees t1_it5lblk wrote

I like my drinks without guilt or virtue signals, thanks. I'll take an extra plastic straw in your honor.

−5

clorox2 t1_it5ryyj wrote

Doing your part to help fuck up the planet just to prove a point on Reddit?

Drink an extra 64oz Coke every day while you’re at it.

rho_everywhere t1_it63h5n wrote

Also paper straws aren’t gluten free…. Why are all these establishments discriminating against the celiacs?

smolsquirrel t1_it6stfr wrote

It is weird that it has to be non compostable. I've used some good non paper compostable straws. I think they were sugarcane

heystarkid t1_it5pqui wrote

Right, my question is why does it need to be non-compostable? Or is all plastic non-compostable? It just seems like weird wording.

thtkidfrmqueens t1_it4le7v wrote

Whats the fucking point of putting in this ban to reduce refuse, only to loophole in the damn things anyway?

NKtDpt4x t1_it4sty9 wrote

If you're forced to opt-in to something it creates an additional hurdle to discourage use. The same reasons some blue states offer automatic voter registration while red states have strict ID laws and keep limited DMV hours/locations for folks to obtain said IDs.

Curiosities t1_it69n1d wrote

For most people, they won't bother. For those who need a plastic straw, like people with some disabilities, one is available for them. This is a real issue of accessibility for some, and thus there is a way to get one with some additional effort to request it.

bklyngaucho t1_it4gmv0 wrote

That’s going to go over about as well as the “no plastic bags” rule. Sadly.

NKtDpt4x t1_it4t3np wrote

I think the plastic bag ban had its hiccups in the beginning but everyone has adjusted. A plastic straw ban might get the ptichforks out though.

bklyngaucho t1_it59mtw wrote

I noticed recently that McDonalds went from having paper cups and plastic straws to plastic cups and paper straws. WT actual F?

jza_808 t1_it518tr wrote

A lot of places are still using plastic bags, especially restaurants for take out.

NKtDpt4x t1_it51s7u wrote

They're legally allowed to.

jza_808 t1_it529ai wrote

Right, so it’s not a complete ban just like with the straws.

NKtDpt4x t1_it52n0m wrote

Seriously? You must fun at parties. "Actually..."

−19

jza_808 t1_it53iv3 wrote

Huh? I’m not even disagreeing with you.. just clarifying my first comment. It’s a ban with loopholes so I think they’re comparable.

IvanIsOnReddit t1_it6qtpj wrote

Yeah, some people just buy new bags every time, and still buy garbage bags, so it’s more wasteful in that case.

I try to reuse mine as much as possible but now with Target delivery they just buy the plastic bags and I can’t do anything about it. Wish they had paper bags, as least that can easily be put back into a tree (composting then fertilizing).

SMK_12 t1_it6cis5 wrote

Banning plastic straws is one of the stupidest political stunts.. so little benefit for the amount of energy that was spent talking about plastic straws plus the fact paper straws drastically decrease utility

IvanIsOnReddit t1_it6rjnj wrote

Imagine if all that energy and enthusiasm went into banning 6 ounce bottled water and 10 cheese slices in a thick ziplock bag.

ShadownetZero t1_it5xnex wrote

Thank lord.

If businesses want to cheap out on the ban by not going the Starbucks route (high quality compostable straws that are similar to plastic), then they can give me a plastic straw on request.

Ok-Coast-9264 t1_it5gfwh wrote

Paper, plastic -- let's just get rid of straws all together, except crazy straws and those ones that change color based on temperature

squeeze_me_macaroni t1_it7af9b wrote

Ironically, I only use straws at home (metal ones) and when I go out, I don’t ask for one because they are just used once and thrown away. It’s a molecular step to waste reduction but I do it anyway.

Groundbreaking_Tank2 t1_it7i14r wrote

This is great news for oil lobbyists, bad news for the planet.

Mster_Mdnght t1_it4szsa wrote

I rather have yellow/brown coca cola stained teeth than use a paper straw. ALL I GET IS FIZZ. !

−2

ShadownetZero t1_it5xvhi wrote

How are you staining your teeth with soda?

Do you not brush your teeth?

−4

LongIsland1995 t1_it68i2u wrote

Dark colored liquids can stain your teeth even if you brush well. Same things with happens with coffee and Guinness

[deleted] t1_it5nhay wrote

Maybe it’s just me but I prefer paper straws just because it’s better for the environment.

−3

TeamMisha t1_it5iifd wrote

I'd say just ban them tbh or do the tax like bags. ADA advocates were screaming about how certain people needed plastic straws, so how about those who need straws take just a little responsibility and bring their own like the rest of us adapting to the plastic bag ban, it's really not that hard. I keep a metal straw in my backpack, pretty simple.. Then restaurants can have a simple law to follow and don't need to bother buying straws anymore, done and done. Legislation by excessive loophole is stupid

−4

IvanIsOnReddit t1_it6r42r wrote

I’d bring mine if I had a disability, just so that I get a consistent experience. But notice that plastic bags are still available for purchase. They are not the default now but they keep them around.

LongIsland1995 t1_it68lq5 wrote

I don't get why (non disabled) people whine about paper straws. They're totally fine and there's too much plastic on this planet in the first place

−5

Curiosities t1_it69sny wrote

When they start disintegrating before you finish half your drink, it's kind of a bummer.

The new Starbucks ones are fine to me. It's better to have some options, including plastic for those who need them. Sometimes, for me, I need to use straws when my anxiety is really bad. But some of the alternatives work just fine (not the paper ones). I also have nerve damage impacting my hand so I'm not someone who is going to be able to clean reusable straws well enough.

LongIsland1995 t1_it69vqk wrote

I've had a paper straw sitting in a glass of coke for an hour and it was still intact + functional

Curiosities t1_it6aex9 wrote

Interesting. I forget which place gave me the paper straw that basically started flattening and getting weird in my iced tea, but it was annoying. Clearly there are some better ones than what I got.

SMK_12 t1_it6cuff wrote

They’re significantly worse than using a plastic straw and the benefit is not worth the reduction in utility. Obviously addressing climate change/pollution is important but the goal is to address it while still improving the quality of life for people. Some level of pollution is ok, it’s just about finding the right balance.