Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

9thPlaceWorf t1_ja80n4c wrote

"I'm Mawn Jorgan"

areaysee t1_ja88pcl wrote

Nooo I hate that I giggled at this. Ugh.

philly_allen t1_ja8va00 wrote

Even worse I instantly, fully laughed out loud. šŸ˜ž

CallMeMattF t1_ja854i4 wrote

How come whenever the article says ā€œā€¦open in South Philadelphiaā€ they mean east of Broad. I wish Point Breeze, Greys Ferry, and even Girard Estates had better places than Atlanta Wings. I know thereā€™s a few spots, but not nearly as many as east of Broad

ringringmytacobell t1_ja89h1e wrote

I say this with absolutely no sources but I would venture to guess it has something to do with Kenyatta Johnson.

PurpleWhiteOut t1_ja8lijx wrote

Unironically yeah. He's been against any zoning changes, especially on Point Breeze Ave and Washington Ave. The west side of broad has barely any commercial zoning outside of PB Ave, some corners, and a little on Snyder and W Passyunk. Unless the zoning changes, the west side doesn't have many spaces for commercial to exist in the first place

CallMeMattF t1_ja8ifve wrote

How so? I met him once or twice through a nonprofit I worked for but admittedly donā€™t keep up with his work.

petedogg t1_ja8k1ss wrote

KJ believes that anything good would cause gentrification, especially anything that might be remotely associated with ā€œhipsterā€ white people.

CallMeMattF t1_ja9dqe4 wrote

Well here I am, a 30-year-old white guy (I would never claim to be hip) living on PBA. I donā€™t want to get rid of my neighbors, I just want a decent hoagie or panini not from OCF, the combo real estate/coffee house taking over this dirty olā€™ town

hockeystuff77 t1_jacoi4x wrote

Heā€™s a greedy fuck that knows what to do to keep getting re-elected. Next time you see him, flip him off. I own down around taproom on 19th and his stupid fucking policies are doing nothing but holding a huge, high potential area of the city back, and his constituents keep voting for him because he keeps them fearful of young, mildly affluent people coming in and chasing them out. Just look at Washington ave. Once side got a sorely needed redevelopment, and the other got fuck all.

PurpleWhiteOut t1_ja8kzke wrote

There's barely anything zoned commercial outside of Point Breeze Ave unfortunately and most corner store spaces have been converted to residential. It sucks for the neighborhood and I always had to leave for anything when I lived there, but it's largely an arbitrary zoning issue

snake_w_arms t1_ja8dwwf wrote

Yeah moving back to the east side of broad in South Philly made me realize how much there isnā€™t on the west side.

GaviFromThePod t1_ja85iie wrote

Oh hell yeah that's walking distance from my house! I'll be sure to go there!

alittlemouth t1_ja8dpw3 wrote

I feel like a cheapskate, but $18 Pho, $32 fried rice, and a $10 funnel cake seems like a lot. Cheaper than Kalaya, tho!

CommunicationTime265 t1_ja9p4ud wrote

You're def not a cheapskate in this economy. Nearly everything is fucking overpriced now.

YoungHeartOldSoul t1_jacj7ah wrote

I spent $16 for two people at taco bell, I don't understand why we having starting burning things yet.

Edit: my point is it used to be cheap and garbage, now it's expensive and garbage.

CommunicationTime265 t1_jack9to wrote

Taco bell isn't real food bro

YoungHeartOldSoul t1_jackq5c wrote

That's my point! I hadn't been in like 5 years and i was blown away.

CommunicationTime265 t1_jacmevp wrote

I know what you mean. BK is still fairly cheap too. But most junk food is. If you want some decent food you gotta put up 15-20 for one meal...it's crazy.

z7q2 t1_jac4pgv wrote

I can get pho with all the meats up in the northeast for $12

owenhinton98 t1_jabqbvz wrote

I got really excited when my block got a restaurant a few months back, then I found out it was kalaya and I canā€™t afford to eat at the only food place on my block šŸ™ƒ

McNinja_MD t1_ja9h2s7 wrote

Gotta love how we take every piece of "cheap" cuisine, then make it popular and charge an arm and a leg for it.

fkdkshufidsgdsk t1_ja9m1b3 wrote

Gotta love how people think ā€œethnicā€ food should be cheap when the work that takes to make it well is as much or more than any western cuisine. Also the economy affects everyone, prices are higher everywhere and when you use high quality ingredients that means more cost

Daddie76 t1_ja9rg90 wrote

Iā€™m from China but if a place starts charging me $18 a bowl for hand drawn noodles, they can fuck right off

GeekyMoore t1_jaam6ra wrote

What are you even talking about? The ingredients for Pho are cheap af & you can buy in bulk at stores in Chinatown and on Washington ave. Hell, the recipe is easy too and they usually have non Asian immigrants in the back cooking. 18$ is crazy talk. 9$ is the average in Chinatown.

seeyouinhelenkellers t1_jaarmqj wrote

Just checked the menus for three places in Chinatown and it was $12-15. Pretty much the same in South Philly pho spots.

tossup17 t1_jacnjsw wrote

How do you know it's cheap ? You have no idea what quality of ingredients they are using for these dishes, or how much prep and time it's taking. People don't act like Irwin's is taking a "cheap" cuisine like pasta with sauce and charging 23 a plate for it is extortion. Asian food can cost money too, if you want cheap pho, pho 75 will always be there. This place is trying to do a higher end version obviously.

OnlySpoilers t1_jad8ldq wrote

Pho 75 is still like $8 maybe $12 with add ins and extra meat

FreakLipsHighC t1_ja959ru wrote

> BYOB concept

Is it a concept or is it more of a restaurant?

It seems to me that Byo Cambodian isnā€™t quite so out of this world that it bears being called a concept

tossup17 t1_jacnphx wrote

It's not strictly Cambodian is the concept aspect of it. It seems like the idea and general menu is more a mix of SEA cuisines and dishes.

skip_tracer t1_ja8n7vm wrote

Looking forward to trying, but no chance itā€™s better than Sophieā€™s which is the best restaurant in the city. Sheā€™s a treasure.

ShotDetail877 t1_jabnjj9 wrote

Sophie's is good, but seriously, they "westernize" the flavors. If you want official Cambodian food, get together with some Cambodian friends for a family gathering. That's where you will find true Cambodian food and flavors.

skip_tracer t1_jacovcm wrote

I know the deal, I'm a white dude that dated a Cambodian girl briefly, but I'd gently push back against any slander toward Sophie's. What the fuck do I know though

Pickles716 t1_jacdmdh wrote

Iā€™ve never heard of Sophieā€™s. What does one order there?

skip_tracer t1_jacp0zi wrote

All the things. If her kids are on the floor serving just ask them they'll guide you.

zillah1985 t1_ja9fyw0 wrote

Looks good, will try. That chicken lookin fire and the little neck dish...eyo? My girl will be all about that sweet soup too.