Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

popeboyQ t1_ixd3ptt wrote

Hey, all of you who like to be assholes to grocery store employees, cut it the fuck out. It's the holidays, be kind. We're stressed out and doing the best we can.

It won't take much for us to snap.

Vajama77 t1_ixda2q1 wrote

I feel you. Most grocery stores are way understaffed and Thanksgiving is like the grocery store's super bowl. Even Publix, which prizes itself for their customer service is scrambling, either everyone has quit or they aren't hiring enough people.

progressiveinva69 t1_ixd6mj4 wrote

I hate people some times. I injured my Achilles and cant go shopping. Did tip an instacart person nicely though. They came through for me this week!. Hope most people are decent.

popeboyQ t1_ixd6u9r wrote

The Instacart people are some of the biggest pricks! Just this morning I had an Instacart lady go full blown mental because we didn't have any honey ham.

NoFanksYou t1_ixdcvvi wrote

Made me think of the ham scene from Christmas with the Kranks

progressiveinva69 t1_ixd763l wrote

I'm sorry to hear that.

popeboyQ t1_ixd8dcy wrote

Shit happens, it's what drove me to make my original comment.

Lady was acting like I killed her kid or something.

momthom427 t1_ixduyf8 wrote

Agreed on the grocery store folks. But can we just be nice to everyone who shows up for work when we are all understaffed? I get yelled at daily for the most trivial stuff. We’re trying to help you so maybe be just a touch patient. Thank you!

DustySleeve t1_ixdj4f6 wrote

I think not fucking with people who get you your food is a pretty basic rule, be it service, retail, or production. Entitlement gone mad i tells ya

theguru1974 t1_ixenb0e wrote

People who wait until the last minute to buy food for the holidays are only putting thselves in the stressful situation to begin with. Easily avoidable. No one deserves to be disrespected.

keirama t1_ixfxn5y wrote

Yes but also some people live paycheck to paycheck and HAVE to wait until the last minute to buy food.

progressiveinva69 t1_ixctso3 wrote

Good News: Only working today and tomorrow

Bad News: Life sucks. All alone for Thanksgiving. Good friend (who I dated earlier this year) is dating other people. Tearing me up. Finally over my divorce and ready to date and the one person I love is dating other people. I value their friendship as I don't have many in this world. However, It is looking like I will have to cut myself off from this person completely. The thought of them seeing anyone else is too painful. Honestly wish I was working the holiday just to distract myself from my own feelings and emotions.

progressiveinva69 t1_ixczhu4 wrote

Who would downvote and not reply? Like, this local person is going through a shitty time. Have a downvote. FML.

BurkeyTurger t1_ixd11pd wrote

Don't take it personally, there are a couple people in the sub who just downvote everything.

Sorry for what you're having to deal with.

cassanovadaga t1_ixd2sz9 wrote

As someone who’s spent almost every holiday season alone for the last 5+ years, the best advice I have for you is to treat it like a self-care day. Make or get your favorite food, take a long bath, get outside for a bit. I know everyone always says “there are other fish in the sea” or whatever, but let yourself take the time to process and move on. It’s okay that you’re upset. Just don’t let yourself wallow too long - there are cool people out there! I hope you start feeling better soon 💜

progressiveinva69 t1_ixd6auz wrote

Plan is to cook a from scratch baked ziti, watch football (Both the American and international kinds), Imbibe in some 420 and play a ton of God of War: Ragnorok on the PS5 this week.

theguru1974 t1_ixeo3s9 wrote

If you're a gamer and on Facebook, look up RVA Meet and Geek, a group me and a couple friends run. We get together socially with like minded people and plan local events. Could be a good distraction for you.

cassanovadaga t1_ixhf77w wrote

That ziti sounds great! I’m considering finding somewhere to grab a drink tomorrow, feel free to reach out if you don’t get sucked into God of War too hard 😂 although a pasta and gaming night sounds like the move

rattylight t1_ixd24n9 wrote

I'm sorry. That's terrible and life does indeed suck sometimes. But with that said, I'm proud of you for having the courage and emotional boundaries to separate yourself from this person if their presence is not good for your mental health. Hopefully they understand if you were to communicate to them why you can't be around them for a while, and perhaps if/when the dust has settled, you can reconvene your friendship.

progressiveinva69 t1_ixd4q7i wrote

We shall see. It's really painful now. I know time and distance will help. Maybe not cutting off entirely. But the days of deep talks and hanging out 1 on 1 may be over for a bit. I love her too much to want to make her dating journey uncomfortable.

progressiveinva69 t1_ixd4wph wrote

Whether that is a romantic love or a deep platonic friendship love, is a cause of much mental confusion. Seems like a little column A and a little column B. Hoping Column B outweighs the other with time and distance.

poultrygeist25 t1_ixcnmgo wrote

I think today I am going to get an early bird biscuit and then head to the store so that I can make some cat shelters to put in my yard. I’m thinking some coolers from Walmart, cut a hole on the side, tape the lid, and a bed of straw. If anyone has any other ideas please share with me! It’s getting cold and I want the stray cats to have a cozy place to sleep

PickanickBasket t1_ixcq6tp wrote

Those aluminim-looking thermal emergency blankets make excellent extra lining.

Remember that cats need an opening of only about five-and-a-half or six inches in diameter, or the width of their whiskers. Make the entrance as small as possible to avoid other animals.

https://alleycatadvocates.org/communitycat-care-center/creating-winter-shelters/

They have some great advice I've used before in my shelters! Thanks for taking care of the outdoor floofs.

poultrygeist25 t1_ixcqwme wrote

Thank you for sharing that link and information with me, it is very appreciated! :)

MKrushelnisky t1_ixctq4b wrote

Hey! Speaking from experience- skip the rubber made houses. The cats are too scared to go into it bc once they’re in there- super easy to be ambushed by predator. So what does work? Get one (or two) heating pads (brand sunbeam is my favorite) extra large. Take off the cloth and plug them up outside turn them on high. We’ve tried everything over the years, this is the best answer! The cats are obsessed with it.

GaimanitePkat t1_ixcuo44 wrote

If you mean styrofoam coolers, you want to make sure you're putting them inside a plastic shell such as a rubbermaid tote box.

And make sure that it is STRAW you (and other cat helping folks) are using!

Home Depot also sells rolls of foil-like insulation which is also good if you don't want to deal with sawing styrofoam and making a little snow flurry. Just tape that to the inside of the tote box and the lid.

sweetsatanskiing t1_ixcp06x wrote

Off work Thanksgiving, birthday Saturday. Steaks for T-day dinner, thank god, because I’m tired of cooking a huge, traditional southern home food spread. Nobody will miss it.

Sleeping in, chilling, watching Xmas movies with my teen boys. Grooming my two fluffy doodles. This is the life.

bettygreatwhite t1_ixctocq wrote

We’re doing steaks too! No one is really a huge fan of turkey, so we’ve done non-traditional dinners for the past few years and it’s been so much more enjoyable.

Melodic_Apple_9504 t1_ixckoox wrote

It’s the daily!!

What are some of your post thanksgiving dinner rituals? Football and Nap? Listening to Grandma’s take on Elon and his twitter machine, sharpening the nail file for all of those Black Friday shopping deals? Burying your head in the dishes to escape the horrific family discussions?

moneytalka t1_ixcm714 wrote

We watch Trains, Plains and Automobiles every Thanksgiving after dinner. Our SIL is going to borrow an outdoor screen to watch it by the fire pit this year if weather cooperates. Definitely our Thanksgiving tradition.

ceeaayyeebee t1_ixctbl0 wrote

We watch that too! And Dutch. Along with decorating for the holiday season.

TheCheeseDevil OP t1_ixcllnc wrote

We are a tidy and efficient Thanksgiving family. We convene to eat a giant lunch with all the normal fixins and then we all go back to our respective homes and nap.

Asterion7 t1_ixcn4d0 wrote

We wait a couple hours then do a massive dessert and coffee and booze fest.

I_Got_A_Truck t1_ixcp6hp wrote

We drive down to the beach area for Thanksgiving, so the post TDay ritual is driving back home and discussing all of the crazy we just had to endure. It's never a good idea to put almost 30 people in a 1500sqft house.

Danger-Moose t1_ixcmstn wrote

We have been spending Thanksgiving with friends so our after dinner rituals are much less stressful. In fact, everything is less stressful. Highly recommend.

Asterion7 t1_ixcn0is wrote

I just told the wife we should do a Friendsgiving next year. We have never not done the big family Thanksgiving.

SnarkMatter t1_ixcrbgh wrote

Count me in for Friendsgiving! I cook and clean too :).

rattylight t1_ixd321n wrote

We typically just drink wine and play games until dessert time. We're pretty chill. I'm excited though to introduce my mom to the game Codenames - my wife and I recently discovered it, and seems like an easy enough game to play with the fam.

ennuiandapathy t1_ixfeksb wrote

We do a dessert potluck for a few hours in the evening. Friends bring their favorite Turkey Day dessert and we spend a couple hours playing card/board games or just talking. People come and go, staying as long - or as little- as they like.

disputing_stomach t1_ixcu4g9 wrote

My wife and daughter insist on putting up the Xmas decorations on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I'm fine with it; I would also be fine with waiting a week or so. My jobs that day are to get the things out of the attic, set up the outdoor stuff, and then take the boxes back to the attic. I watch football and eat leftovers in between.

Then Saturday or Sunday evening, we decorate the tree as a family. That's a good time.

theguru1974 t1_ixensux wrote

The Friday after is pretty common. Be happy they aren't those people who insist on doing it the day after Halloween.

donniedarkhair t1_ixcwch7 wrote

Working really hard this morning to prove my worth to my employer and I have to keep fighting the voice in my head that's asking why I am even doing this.

Long story short, I've spent 3 months managing a huge marketing/sales project in Florida. Nobody knows this portfolio like I do. They just hired a project manager that I'm supposed to hand everything over to and he gets to take all the credit. I've been trying to play nice but, on our weekly update call, he literally could not even provide a single update and asked me to recite them. He's had all of my trackers/updates and I guess he was too good to read any of my files? Or even ask me to explain? But he gets the credit.

cassanovadaga t1_ixd22b7 wrote

I’ve been in this position before. Did they hire the new guy on because they want to put you on something else? The only thing that’s ever helped me is having a frank convo with my lead to try to convince them to assign the new person to something else. Good luck, I don’t envy your position atm

donniedarkhair t1_ixd2sdn wrote

Thank you. I had the call last night with my boss telling her that I'm okay with handing this off but the new guy better not destroy everything I've built up... she seemed to understand but only time will tell.

donteatmydog t1_ixcsozr wrote

Had relatives stay with us this past weekend. They said their bronchitis wasn't contagious. My incredibly sore throat and general malaise today would disagree with that. Hoping I'm better'ish by Thursday so we don't have to cancel all our plans.

GrayRVA t1_ixcwbke wrote

I could hug last summer GrayRVA for scheduling PTO yesterday and today. Yesterday was like a snow day when I logged onto work and realized I was off. I read exactly one email before saying see ya later, suckers.

PhoenixAshies t1_ixdaf3f wrote

We were supposed to work a half day tomorrow, and I got to work to be greeted by an email saying "jk, we're closing tomorrow. See everyone Monday!"

Gotta love it!

turnOn t1_ixdan6e wrote

This may be the last Thanksgiving I'll get with my dad. At least, the last time he may be able to eat solid food. He has ALS. I got home late last night from the ER because he fell in the bathroom and I had to pick him up. I need to cook some dishes tomorrow but I can barely get off the couch today to go shopping. He's still in the hospital and my partner hardly talked with me last night or comforted me. I feel so fucked up and alone right now.

xTiredSoulx t1_ixeap33 wrote

I’m so sorry. Caregiver stress is terrible. Sending vibes of comfort to you and your dad.

progressiveinva69 t1_ixdd2ur wrote

I am so sorry to hear this. Savor the time with him this week. As for your partner. Maybe just focus on your dad at this time and talk with them as why they were emotional unavailable for you during this time.

turnOn t1_ixdeq59 wrote

Thanks. It's the only thing I can do. I feel like I'm being dramatic but I'm not sure who to talk to about it at this current moment. Luckily I do have therapy tomorrow so that's something.

theguru1974 t1_ixen2b9 wrote

I hope you are able to enjoy the holiday despite all the life challenges.

lemonartichoke t1_ixcym6x wrote

Turkey is gross! Who's with me?

BurkeyTurger t1_ixd16qx wrote

I'll meet you halfway, only turkey deli meat and smoked turkey legs are good.

glitterwitch8 t1_ixdzv4z wrote

I used to think this until my husband started smoking the turkey on the Big Green Egg using the Joetisserie attachment. We brine it with Alton Brown’s brine recipe the night before and it’s the juiciest turkey I’ve ever had.

progressiveinva69 t1_ixd6hl2 wrote

A Cheffed up fried or smoked turkey is good. I am mostly here for the sides and put up with the turkey. But a Turkey club sammich is delightful!

lemonartichoke t1_ixd6mul wrote

A turkey club is, in my opinion, totally different and it’s pretty good. I’ll concede on that.

PhoenixAshies t1_ixda4y8 wrote

I'm more down for leftover turkey in the days after than on actual Thanksgiving. Sandwiches and wraps for days!

[deleted] t1_ixcn38z wrote

[deleted]

goosey65 t1_ixcnf0m wrote

If you can- leave very early Thursday morning. Day before thanksgiving + 95 = fear.

[deleted] t1_ixco7y4 wrote

[deleted]

AuspiciousToad t1_ixcr8ul wrote

Based on my experience, if you want to be there at noon, 4 is too late. 3 maybe. If noon is flexible 3 should be good, knowing that if things get bad you might be an hour or two late.

skeevy-stevie t1_ixcnvv0 wrote

NYC?

devenjames t1_ixdfz0f wrote

Ever since I got my counter-top rotisserie I can’t imagine going back to roasting my bird in the oven. Literally just salt the outside and let it spin. It’s the easiest most tasty way to prepare a turkey IMO.

Tyrdottir t1_ixdoftp wrote

I'm new to RVA and the "dailys" posts. Do we usually use them just to chat about our week with each other?

TheCheeseDevil OP t1_ixdqbgo wrote

a lot of times the person making it will have a prompt. theres no requirement to stay on prompt, people just chat. its made by whoever gets there first.

Mentatminds t1_ixcpocq wrote

Just got some lovely AA+ albinos, and headed to the beach for a few days. Bliss.

RileyDL t1_ixcuq1i wrote

Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday, partly because it stands between me and Christmas. I only have Thursday off but I don't mind much. Work is pretty quiet this week usually. The worst part is that we're hosting this year and our house is a low level disaster in the best of times (clean but cluttered) and I have a lot to do between now and Thursday morning when I put the turkey in the oven.

cassanovadaga t1_ixd1otv wrote

I do a Friendsgiving before the holiday, then usually spend the holiday hiking in the morning with the dogs and treating it like any other day I have off. Very chill.

upearlyRVA t1_ixd3k7p wrote

Will be watching USA vs England on Friday. Hope it does get too ugly.

avisitorsguidetolife t1_ixd67h7 wrote

Partner is still job hunting...only now he was laid off so the hunt is REAL.

puzzledsushi t1_ixd8u5c wrote

My family unit is very small, and since I (the youngest) entered adulthood we’ve been very disorganized and informal about holidays. This year I finally realized that’s why I don’t enjoy going home for said holidays — we sit around and do nothing special for the requisite few hours before calling it quits, dad always shows up late, my sister always gets stressed, yadda yadda.

I feel guilty for not wanting to go home because I do love them and I do feel grateful that I have them. I just would rather visit them on a random weekend than Thanksgiving. But! Duty calls, and I’ll catch up on the It’s Always Sunny podcast on the drive down.

kegel_monster t1_ixcqaob wrote

All I wanna do is sleep in tomorrow, work sucks

b_a_b_a_r t1_ixdbuzv wrote

Starting today and through the weekend I’m spending my turkey day dog sitting and super sweet pit bull. We’re gonna snuggle, watch movies and nap.

DeannaZone t1_ixdsjyc wrote

Calculating how to get around since car is at the dealer. Just glad I already have my turkey and fixings, so we are good on that.

theguru1974 t1_ixep3uw wrote

Going to New Kent, the in-laws are hosting as they always do. Mother in law spends all day in the kitchen even tho we tell her to chill out. Turkey usually overcooked despite all the attention. The pies will be bland and sugar-less to appease my father in law who hates dessert, she feels one day he'll somehow become a different human lol. I'm bringing a couple of my own pies this time. Hickory Farms for lunch while we watch the Lions lose. I rarely see my Dad and brother even tho they live 10 minutes away, so looking forward to just hanging out.

Almost forgot: watching Planes Trains and Automobiles Wed night. Never miss a year! And getting Christmas tree on Fri from out near Lake Anna. Have a nice lunch in some middle of the nowhere place. Feels good to get out of town for a bit.

upearlyRVA t1_ixewd59 wrote

Working on Friday so I'll be watching from home. I've heard Gus's is a good spot. You can take your chances at Penny Lane but I imagine you'll be outnumber by English fans there.

_RetroBear t1_ixh73l4 wrote

I'm still pissed about constantly being bait and switched on jobs. I've got another interview today can't wait for them to pull the rug out on me ⭐