Submitted by thecatneverlies t3_125vn3k in singularity

We are told that AI/AGI will create entirely new jobs for the people it displaces. What are some of these jobs?

According to ChatGPT:
AGI could create new job opportunities in areas such as AI systems development, AI ethics and governance, human-AI interaction design, creative and artistic industries, scientific research, and education and training.

Aside from working directly in the AI sector, I really have trouble imagining any of these fields expanding when any given individual will be able to achieve so much more than they can today. The media alludes to the idea of "you can't possibly imagine what jobs are coming" but maybe that's because it can't be imagined because it is literally nothing.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

KGL-DIRECT t1_je65xrw wrote

Kill switch operator. Luddite repeller.

gay_manta_ray t1_je957h5 wrote

came to make a variation of this post. but to be serious for a second, essentially, "AI overseer" will be the job that is created. you'll have to be proficient in whatever field the AI is working in, and essentially your task will be to verify that the AI isn't doing anything very wrong or dangerous. obviously there will not be net job creation though.

Dubsland12 t1_je9f3fn wrote

Won’t they likely set up one AI to watch another? Humans won’t be able to keep up. We already don’t really understand how some code works .

MisterViperfish t1_je87sld wrote

I like to imagine the Luddite repellers will be the Turrets from Portal.

Azuladagio t1_jeaaunb wrote

Cute Voice: Target Acquired.
RATATATATATATATA!!!

lvvy t1_je8lsd3 wrote

Ethical Luddite repeller.

MisterViperfish t1_je8t9m2 wrote

I see your ethical Luddite repeller and raise you one IG-88 and one ED-209.

Hairy_Profit3254 t1_je99ttx wrote

Job Title: Luddite Repeller

Company: [Insert Company Name]

Job Type: Full-Time

Salary: Commensurate with experience

Job Description:

Our company is seeking a Luddite Repeller to join our team. The primary responsibility of the Luddite Repeller is to prevent Neo-Luddites from accessing our server room, which houses our valuable LLM.

Responsibilities:

Monitor and control access to the server room

Identify potential threats and take proactive measures to prevent them

Enforce security protocols and procedures

Work closely with the IT department to ensure the security of the server room

Maintain a high level of vigilance at all times

Requirements:

Prior experience in security or law enforcement is preferred

Familiarity with security protocols and procedures

Excellent attention to detail and ability to remain vigilant

Strong communication and interpersonal skills

Ability to work independently and as part of a team

If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter to [Insert contact information]. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.

KGL-DIRECT t1_je9aa1m wrote

I asked GPT to make it funnier and cooler:

Job Title: Luddite Repeller - Defender of the Digital Realm!

Company: [Insert Company Name]

Job Type: Full-Time

Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus an extra dose of heroic pride!

Job Description:

Are you a tech-savvy superhero with a passion for protecting the digital world from the forces of retrograde technology? Then we want YOU to join our team as a Luddite Repeller - Defender of the Digital Realm!

As our Luddite Repeller, your main mission will be to keep the Neo-Luddites at bay and safeguard our server room, which houses our valuable LLM. You'll use your lightning-fast reflexes, expert knowledge of security protocols, and keen eye for potential threats to repel any would-be invaders.

Responsibilities:

Stand guard at the server room and keep the Neo-Luddites at bay

Use your expert knowledge of security protocols to prevent any potential threats

Work closely with our tech team to maintain the security of the server room

Show off your superhero skills by keeping a watchful eye on the server room at all times

Be a champion of digital progress and proudly wear the title of Luddite Repeller - Defender of the Digital Realm!

Requirements:

A passion for all things tech and a love for digital progress

A proven track record of repelling the forces of retrograde technology

Expert knowledge of security protocols and procedures

Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills - after all, you'll be interacting with humans and machines alike!

The ability to work independently and as part of a team, and a willingness to leap into action at a moment's notice

If you're ready to be a hero and defend the digital realm, send us your resume and cover letter today! And don't forget to wear your cape to the interview!

Dubsland12 t1_je9fgvx wrote

Well I’d say the comedian jobs are still safe for the moment

Dyeeguy t1_je63zo9 wrote

maybe more armed guards to stop the average person from fighting rich people

Darkmemento t1_je6c2dk wrote

No way they will trust the poor. Robots will have those jobs.

Humans need not apply!

JustinianIV t1_je768v8 wrote

Imagine you are Bill Gates, would you rather pay $1,000,000 per robot armed guard or just hire some desperate jobless people with no other alternative but to ensure you live.

uswhole t1_je8tslp wrote

kill drone will cost less than 200 dollar once they can mass produced.

turbospeedsc t1_je7jjqa wrote

A desperate jobless people with no other alternative but to ensure you live.

A small army of people like this equipped with robots could be extremely effective, use the robots as safeguards if your small army rebels.

singsix t1_je65q79 wrote

Sign me up! Them filthy peasants! That's what they get for being hungry and wanting a future. Oh wait am I one too? Well... lads. When one person is not free then none of us are!

BewareOfGod t1_je7xvha wrote

🎵 Do you hear the people sing? Singing the song of angry men. It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again. When the beating of your heart echoes the beating of the drum, there is a life about to start when tomorrow comes. 🎵🎶

singulthrowaway t1_je6ek07 wrote

That would be viable for around 1-2 years post-AGI before autonomous drones and robots can do a better job for less money.

BewareOfGod t1_je7sp18 wrote

"I can hire one-half the working class to kill the other half."

--Gilded age tycoon, Jay Gould.

7grims t1_je94p8q wrote

This one, this one so true it hurts with its honesty

VelvetyPenus t1_je97k5p wrote

Yes. We're all third world now--#1 job for males is armed security guard in developing countries.

JessieThorne t1_je6af6d wrote

I'm not sure; what's the job description of being a skull trodden on by T800s?

barbariell t1_je6as41 wrote

They give you a bucket of water and make you stay in the server room if something goes wrong you will need to throw the bucket and get outta there

NothingVerySpecific t1_je8tkke wrote

Dark, but very suitable reference to Chicago Pile 1

>Samuel Allison stood ready with a bucket of concentrated cadmium nitrate, which he was to throw over the pile in the event of an emergency.

Iffykindofguy t1_je6beee wrote

There are none long term. Its delusional thinking from people either invested in these platforms taking off or people who are so blinded by their love of the future they cant stand talking about any downsides.

MoonlitHare t1_je6mc9p wrote

What isnt long term ?

Iffykindofguy t1_je6nbms wrote

Jobs that will be created by this specific period of AI.

MoonlitHare t1_je6pv2x wrote

You think these jobs will be replaced by self regulating ai, or is this a phase as a whole ?

Iffykindofguy t1_je6qahh wrote

I think that in the short term well see a boom of "prompt engineers" and shit like that but 10 years in the majority of user-facing inputs will be so comprehensive your average person can use them, or use another AI to use them.

MoonlitHare t1_je6qxar wrote

Yeah, I agree, I'm hoping ai will end up being at the forefront of our progression rather than fading into mundane utility.

Iffykindofguy t1_je6rbwi wrote

Totally. I'd say up until about a year ago I had resigned myself to thinking of it as that but the rate of change things have been going through... progress could always suddenly stop. There are always unexpected roadblocks but man this shit is moving so fast.

liameymedih0987 t1_je8ii7d wrote

This stupid sub in a nutshell

Burger flipper & rich teen alike: “The singularity is next monday”

Iffykindofguy t1_je9u4nf wrote

You see what you want to see lol. You're clearly just as much of a simp just on the opposite side.

Shack-app t1_je8ewej wrote

AI won’t generate jobs. It will allow the best people in each field to produce far more with less work.

In some field, like code, we have a shortage. So we can soak up the excess supply. In other fields, like bad romance novels, or college essay plagiarism for hire, or commanding robot armies, jobs will be in short supply.

hungariannastyboy t1_je8ivv5 wrote

This comment is so full of hubris. "These good and verrry complex and useful jobs, like the one I do, will THRIVE!! These bad and useless jobs will cease to exist."

I think you're in for an unpleasant surprise in the medium term about how capitalism actually works.

Shack-app t1_je8kj6l wrote

I’m not at all convinced that I’ll do well. Former pilot turned medical student, both of these are jobs where established experts can oversee vast armies of robots.

Iffykindofguy t1_je8h3td wrote

No, it will allow the most connected and rich in each field. "best" has nothing to do with it. Code will eventually die out you wont be able to keep up with the AI.

Shack-app t1_je8hr31 wrote

Maybe, maybe not. “Best” will be a moving target, but generically it will mean “best at using LLMs to do their job”.

VelvetyPenus t1_je97uwk wrote

Dude, code is the #1 job that will be completely eliminated. what are you smoking?

naum547 t1_je66s75 wrote

It probably won't, and hopefully with enough time jobs would be obsolete, but the period in between could be problematic.

BrBronco t1_je7bwyp wrote

Hopefully our AI overlords will find some use for us.

Schindog t1_je8ua62 wrote

Hopefully we won't need to be useful to justify our existence at some point.

yagami_raito23 t1_je6qs4z wrote

"you can't possibly imagine what jobs are coming" happened with other technological revolutions. For example, i don't think people in the 1920s could have possibly imagined twitch streaming.

But AGI is bigger than anything we can imagine. It will do everything.

Gaudrix t1_je7fuom wrote

It's not a very good example.

99% of streamers don't make enough to survive as a single source of income

99% of all revenue of streamers is earned by those in the top .1-.2% of viewership

That's not a job. That's an incredibly lucky and fortunate situation.

There may be different and new things we will be able to do with AI, but 99% of people will never directly benefit financially from it. Not including UBI and profit sharing due to automation which would be indirect. The compensation of UBI will also never exceed current earning potential pre-AGI. Unless we are actually post-scarcity, and the AGI can do everything for us. Early stages of AI rollout, what we are experiencing now, up until full post-scarcity will be dick for just about everyone. People with resources and capital will never willingly share if they don't need human labor.

hungariannastyboy t1_je8j44l wrote

>Early stages of AI rollout, what we are experiencing now, up until full post-scarcity will be dick for just about everyone.

A.k.a. our lifetimes. Great times ahead. God this shit is bleak.

bh9578 t1_je8pmh6 wrote

I keep thinking about what AGI would do to the stock market. While it’s difficult to say who will be the winner or loser, I think it’s fair to say the broader market will grow like crazy as economic output skyrockets. I believe it was Nick Bostrom who stated in his Superintelligence book that if the AGI gave the same jump in economic output that the agricultural revolution or Industrial Revolution brought, the broad market would double every two weeks. That sounds crazy but then again the markets doubling about every 8 years would have sounded insane to anyone before the industrial era. Such growth would accelerate wealth inequality where anyone who doesn’t have a decent amount of their net worth in equities gets left behind with no chance of ever catching up.

That kind of world gets even scarier when AGI starts tackling aging. There’s always been differences in life expectancy among economic classes, but that difference could quickly widened.

fool_on_a_hill t1_je7ff8o wrote

is it gonna swing a hammer? are we all just gonna keep pretending there isn't a nationwide skilled labor shortage? There's plenty of work to go around. Everyone just thinks they're too good for it. If you try to tell me they'll have robots doing that soon enough then I don't think you understand AI, robots, or construction.

shmoculus t1_je7n6z8 wrote

People said AI couldn't do art, write stories or make movies. These things are now either done or will be done soon. Robotics will go through the same progression, say within 5 years we have an android that can operate in complex environment, within 10 it replaces almost all manual labor

fool_on_a_hill t1_je7oy8k wrote

> say within 5 years we have an android that can operate in complex environment

no AI expert would concede that we are anywhere near that close to this. You're severely underestimating how much work the human brain does to filter out complexity and practice relevance realization. Hell we can't even reproduce the visual cortex let alone all the other sensory input systems required to do what a grunt construction worker does with ease.

Personally I don't think we'll ever do it, but that's just me. Either way it's decades out

shmoculus t1_je7xg4m wrote

what do you think of Boston Dynamics' Atlas robot?

fool_on_a_hill t1_je802h4 wrote

I think it’s not nearly as good as it seems yet and it’s also never gonna be economical to replace laborers

BeGood9000 t1_je8ojes wrote

The idea is if we get AGI it will solve manufacturing Robotos that are good

fluffy_assassins t1_je7ky6i wrote

People don't think they're too good for it, they just won't get treated like shit for shit wages.

fool_on_a_hill t1_je7lby4 wrote

You can make a damn good living in construction. You have no idea what you’re talking about

−2

play_yr_part t1_je7lyxr wrote

you can if there aren't vast swathes of unemployed people trying to get into the sector

wad11656 t1_je7tt16 wrote

Not if every white collar worker clamors for a construction job in the near future. Also blue collar wears your body down.

fluffy_assassins t1_je7m2dn wrote

No, I'm talking about a lot of issues with short staffing in general. If someone CAN do construction, and fit in with the other employees, and they don't? They are... A bit dim. But I can't blame someone for not wanting to get screamed at at McDonald's for minimum wage or pissing in a bottle for Amazon.

fool_on_a_hill t1_je7okb6 wrote

so you're talking about unskilled labor. I'm talking about skilled labor.

fluffy_assassins t1_je9dwdw wrote

"is it gonna swing a hammer? are we all just gonna keep pretending there isn't a nationwide skilled labor shortage? There's plenty of work to go around. Everyone just thinks they're too good for it."

We are talking about jobs, not skilled jobs.

People think they're too good for unskilled labor.

Labor that is skilled requires skills. If it was as simple as swinging a hammer, it wouldn't be skilled labor. So you're trying to talk about skilled labor like it's unskilled labor to transfer the blame to people who don't have the resources to acquire the skill and then claiming they think they're too good for your skilled labor when there's just no way they can do it.

Yeah, no.

fool_on_a_hill t1_je9yont wrote

Yeah no you sound like you’ve never done a day of manual labor. They teach you the skills from scratch. They’ll hire anyone that passes a piss test and even then they’ll make exceptions

BrBronco t1_je7bnzb wrote

Maybe there will be some openings in the new human zoos.

I could also see a market for human pet companions but are we really going to out compete other more cute animals?

The_Lovely_Blue_Faux t1_je6tm1c wrote

It’s not so much about the jobs it creates, but a lot of people can use it to create their own job in existing fields, now able to do it themselves instead of hiring a team to make up the stuff they can’t do

godhat t1_je7nmyz wrote

If we find that humans without work experience existential despair, AI might discreetly create numerous artificial jobs to maintain societal stability. These jobs, designed to appear meaningful, would be akin to a child playing with a toy kitchen set, with AI orchestrating this societal illusion. This concept builds on David Graeber's "bullshit jobs" theory, where a third of white-collar workers admit their jobs serve no real purpose. The AI-driven scenario extends this current situation to prevent the negative effects of joblessness.

VelvetyPenus t1_je99ypt wrote

As long as someone pays. I could see companies needing professional consumers, so there might be a permanent class of people whose job it is to shop, eat fast food, stay in hotels, go out to bars and theme parks and watch a lot of TV netflix and HBO. Like you'll get docked pay on your UBI if you stay home and don't consume, and have to spend your full UBI check every month.

Basically like Wall-E x Idiocracy x Brazil x Equilibrium x Gattaca

Ok-Cheek2397 t1_je6tfe8 wrote

a job that entirely points of it is to convince people that ai is friendly and will not kill entire humans species using a nuclear weapon launched from a USA nuclear weapon testing facility c32 on 12/3/2038

Ortus14 t1_je77d3l wrote

It's just a political talking point. It will destroy far more jobs than it creates.

But as far as sheer numbers, the most common job will be training the ai's, selecting which response you like more for example. These will pay starvation wages and require no special skills as they already do.

Occasionally there might be industry specific jobs for training the Ai to take over your job.

snowwwaves t1_je7n9yq wrote

I think people are underestimating the possibility that AIs will effectively become the management class even for jobs it doesn’t directly do. Monitoring build sites and ordering around construction workers for example.

A layer between the ownership class and the poverty class.

alexiuss t1_je6heuw wrote

LLMs produce problem solving intelligence.

They help programmers produce new software, help writers produce new books, help doctors and researchers produce new medicine and research, help game companies produce better open world games.

My wife is literally using chatgpt4 to write completely new software for her work. This software is a PRODUCT that didn't exist before! Software makes money. It can be bought and sold. It's just one example of a product produced with gpt4, there are thousands of these all over in every industry!

It's an intelligence explosion.

I think that you deeply misunderstand potential of LLMs and understimate the amount of jobs unlocked when LLMs get even more intelligent and begin spouting infinite incredible products, ideas, solutions and inventions at humanity which we will have to build.

Entire new industries will be born through an explosion of innovation brought about by LLMs.

Focused-Joe t1_je6ozu4 wrote

Your wife software may become Obsolete in couple of weeks.

alexiuss t1_je6v3v4 wrote

Two weeks? Damn your timeline is rapid.

VetusMortis_Advertus t1_je7an2k wrote

Yes, that's the problem, you think your wife is the only one creating a new product with gpt4? Soon there will be a boom of new apps, websites, platforms, because it will be done in hours. Sure, looks nice at first, but i think it can look pretty bleak in 1 or 2 years when those things have no value anymore

alexiuss t1_je7idki wrote

the value of all programming is decreasing, its bloody amazing. we'll be building dyson spheres soon at this rate

Express-Set-1543 t1_jegq4vw wrote

Where will the apps be hosted? While AI can assist in creating a web app, its success depends on having sufficient computer resources to host it. For an unlimited number of successful apps, websites, and platforms, we would need an equally unlimited number of servers. However, when demand rises, so do the prices of these servers.

One potential solution is to move the AI onto customer devices. However, this approach is also limited by the resources available on those devices

thecatneverlies OP t1_je7cgvu wrote

I think developers are in a much safer spot than most due to their ability to constantly learn and evolve. They do only make up 2-3% of the population though. I do get your point but I guess my fear is that the intelligence explosion only levels up with human intelligence but doesn't truly surpass it for sometime, so we end up with the jobs going away but none the innovation needed to fill the void.

alexiuss t1_je7faw7 wrote

Here's how I see it:

Software is moving insanely fast vs hardware.

Machine intelligence (once it surpasses intelligence of people) will develop tons of ideas, but it will take it a long-ass time to penetrate into the physical world from digital world

Robots will take resources and time to build. Robot arms aren't cheap while having an LLM on your pc costs almost nothing.

In Canada it takes 5 months to build a bridge for example and a factory building took 10 years to build because of how insanely ineffective and slow goverment is at granting building permits for such things. If goverment takes an anti-robot stance denying building robots here, the factories wont ever be built in Canada and robots will take ages to be manufactured at and be exported from china, etc. The goverment can straight up deny imports or tax them insanely high too if they want to be dicks, which is very possible. It's how they destroyed the Arrow and keep screwing up the local industry keeping internet prices ridiculously high so that two corporations can keep their vile monopoly over the internet.

While building robots can be easily stopped, tons of other things cannot be stopped by goverment.

Business ideas generated by superintelligent LLMS will start new companies that will hire people to execute them into reality.

We will have to build things designed by machines, that's tons and tons of jobs for everyone until enough robots are made to replace all physical labor preformed by billions of people now.

Billions of robots aren't going to magically poof into existence unlike software which can replicate, spread and upgrade very rapidly. It's impossible for goverment and corporations to stop open source software from spreading, unlike hardware which they can delay or destroy in tons of sneaky ways.

DarkMatter_contract t1_je8nwov wrote

The think is if i saw that app, soon enough i can just say to gpt copy that app, and i will have it for the api price.

whoiskjl t1_je6q2n1 wrote

Product Testers for AI powered products. This will be like entry level jobs for any people can easily do

redditguy422 t1_je70wdb wrote

Biological battery

BrBronco t1_je7c9lw wrote

AI will go with fusion.

redditguy422 t1_je7cvfl wrote

Well...can I at least get those cool sunglasses Morpheus had that just hang on his nose?

VelvetyPenus t1_je9afvr wrote

As in the AI is gonna use humans themselves as battery power?

theoneandonlypatriot t1_je7nrr4 wrote

Yeah they won’t create new jobs. The ultimate version of AI will literally stop humans from having to do these repetitive value creation tasks, which all ultimately stem from a basic need to “pay” someone for spending their time making us food or pay someone for spending their time building us shelter. When all of these things can be automated anyways there is no need for currency.

The people in control of these AI systems are lying through their teeth to the general public. They know what comes next.

Aevbobob t1_je7rzlq wrote

I think it’s important to differentiate between “thing I do so I can eat” and “thing I do because it gives me meaning and purpose”. People seem to conflate the two into “job” and it muddies the discussion

ShaneKaiGlenn t1_je7uiwv wrote

In Kurt Vonnegut's Player Piano, he envisions a society in which there are wards of the machines, and everyone else "works" in a state-owned labor corps called the Reeks and Wrecks.

Here is a synopsis from a WaPo article in 1982:

>My own favorite dire view of the economic future comes from Kurt Vonnegut's "Player Piano." It's a world in which automation has advanced to the point where only a handful of managers and technicians are needed to keep consumer and defense goods streaming off the production lines in a cycleless pattern of economic growth. There's also a large and dispirited standing army and a small class of artisans and service workers--writers, painters, bartenders and the like--living on the fringes of society.
Everyone else is a member of the "Reeks and Wrecks"--the Reconstruction and Reclamation Corps. They putter around the cities and countryside doing minor maintenance work in outsized battalions and with primitive tools. The state provides all the trappings of suburban life--replacements are timed to avoid perturbations in the production process--and they get a small allowance for recreation and luxuries. But the Reeks and Wrecks are strictly excess baggage and they know it. Everyone is very depressed. Even the managers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1982/07/21/reeks-wrecks-and-robots/c3b63ac8-a823-4c41-89b6-fd7785ff67ec/

I imagine we may end up with a situation like this, or on the more optimistic side, a form of UBI in which every citizen earns income from the economic output of the machines (think like a dividend fund), and there are additional opportunities in niche markets and entrepreneurial pursuits, but also financial incentives for participating in certain pro-social activities, etc.

Society could be structured almost like a university system, with different "clubs" to keep people engaged and active.

BewareOfGod t1_je7xcce wrote

1. AI transition consultant. There will be companies that take a long time to adapt their operations. They'll need consultants to map out

2. AI enabled subject matter expert. Independent contractor with experience and expertise. Their value is enhanced by their decision to employ AI tools as part of their professional service. They know what tool to apply and when, and the comparative effectiveness of the variety of AI tools out there. Applicable to a number of specialist fields.

3. Value chain coordinator. Someone will want to look at the market of available AI enhanced expertise, and figure out how to put those things together in a value chain. Recent examples of this are how Silicon Valley startups chained together existing XaaS platforms to build their own services. Along the same lines, someone is going to say, 'What if we mixed x and y?'

4. HR. "Human relations." Depending on the extent of the disruption, the traditional HR functions will have to be modified. Organizations will still need humans in them to make the decisions and interact with other humans in other companies. Good companies will also include a hefty training component to keep their people up to speed with a changing competitive landscape.

5. Storytelling and entertaining. The need for human connection and having fun will not diminish. It may even see a resurgence. Artists, singers, instrumentalists, actors, acrobats, jugglers, mimes, clowns, magicians, puppeteers, Renaissance festivals, table top roleplay, board games, competitive sports, Benihana-style or fancy dining experiences, all of these types of things are rooted in the connected experience, the desire to gather around the campfire and hear the words of another.

Edit: except for the mime, he's not talking to anyone.

liameymedih0987 t1_je8i77g wrote

Professional unemployment

More onlyfans than ever

Geeksylvania t1_jebab93 wrote

AI image/video generation and chatbots will replace human sex workers online. IRL sex work will take longer to replace, but if you're only interacting with someone through a screen anyway, it will be easy for AI to replace them.

I don't think enough people have considered how much AI-generated porn is going to change things, and probably not for the better.

bob_scratchit t1_je6zvur wrote

Short term: Probably not creating jobs, just moving people from their current job to a Prompt Engineer of that job. Fewer jobs in targeted fields, but those jobs will need people who understand how to efficiently manipulate the AI with prompts. Those will likely exist until AGI allows the AI to just improve itself and provide the best response.

shmoculus t1_je7o2vc wrote

I think these models will soon be able to distinguish good from bad outputs and bootstrap their own improvement process

Frumpagumpus t1_je726mc wrote

I think it will be used to make massive amounts of micro gig work by intimately knowing everyone in a country and matching supply with demand amazon/uber style.

basically I think you will be able to just ask AI for anything and it will offer you a price and contract out that work to whoever is nearby.

shmoculus t1_je7op9o wrote

This is an interesting idea, furthermore AI's that need to do things in the real world can use the same system, in advance of having robotics. More importantly, an AI using this can be acting via humans in many places at the same time

IronJackk t1_je7b1af wrote

Prostitution for the robots with more "fleshy" tastes

Affectionate-Ad2320 t1_je7nafi wrote

I think once AR matures a bit more, there is going to be a cambrian explosion of AR x AI. There will be tons of opportunities to superimpose reality with new realities in more ways than we can imagine right now.

FoniksMunkee t1_je7s53w wrote

There won't be more jobs. There will be job losses in the AI sector too. There may be new jobs - but it will be at the expense of old jobs.

That's not necessarily a bad thing - as long as it's handled well at a government level.

BewareOfGod t1_je7sei8 wrote

Reminds me of a joke I heard long ago:

The factory of the future will have 2 employees; one man and one dog. The man's job will be to feed the dog. The dog's job will be to keep the man from touching the equipment.

EddgeLord666 t1_je802qg wrote

Isn't the whole point that we want to move beyond a society where people have jobs?

thecatneverlies OP t1_je8q9bo wrote

Do you think UBI will be comfortable to live on? It will only cover the basics. Want to travel or get into a new hobby? Good luck without employment or owning a slice of the AI.

EddgeLord666 t1_je8yw5m wrote

Well that will have to be negotiated by society. Ultimately we are trying to move past capitalism, right?

czk_21 t1_je9ln9m wrote

well you dont need expensive lifestyle and you will probably able to do amazing things in virtual reality

[deleted] t1_je807xd wrote

[deleted]

thecatneverlies OP t1_je8qy00 wrote

Not quite. If AI has rules which make them ethical then the human advantage would be taking an unethical path. For instance an accountant might have some creative 'not entirely by the books' way of avoiding taxes, would an AI be content doing the same?

smokingPimphat t1_je8oows wrote

I don't think that AI in and of itself will generate jobs, but it will drop the costs of doing certain tasks by reducing the number of humans required to do the same work today, This will allow more & smaller groups and companies to come in and participate even opening up new things to be created to cater to smaller groups that are ignored today because " the numbers don't work" IE think of every tv show that was killed to soon even though they had pretty good reviews but didn't get 100M views or some other arbitrary metric.

contrived example:

If today it takes at least 1000(it takes way more probably) people to produce all the effects to hit a blockbuster level of quality ( think marvel type movie ), if AI can drop that number to 500 a disney level company would probably either;

A) produce 1 even bigger movie with bigger effects with the same # of people or

B) produce 2 current level productions for the same cost ( both in terms of money and people)

if you agree that this is a probable outcome then it would stand to reason that there would be more smaller projects that would become available because the base level of quality & returns can be met with a smaller team that can produce higher quality things. This would apply not only to art but to many other things.

thecatneverlies OP t1_je8ryb4 wrote

That's a good point, scale does matter. There's probably 1000s of projects that get canned every year because it's simply too risky with the startup costs.

smokingPimphat t1_je9fso3 wrote

I wouldn't say 1000s but its easily 100 every year, there are 1000s of shit scripts that get sent, if there are 100 that could be good, of those there are 20 that get "sold" ( that means someone pays for the IP ) and of those there are 5 that could be be good enough to go live( that means go into production), AI could be the difference between between 2 and 4 of those 5 getting made. it doesn't sound like much but that is absolutely huge when you consider how many people ( HUMANS ) it takes to produce a "low budget" show.

Geeksylvania t1_jebbi0b wrote

You're not thinking big enough. Publicly-available AI isn't great at long-form content right now, but in a few years, AI will be able to generate a Hollywood-level blockbuster that on its own from a text prompt.

You'll be able to say: "Make me a blockbuster of Marvel vs. DC" and you'll be able to watch a movie generated in real time that is indistinguishable from live-action.

The same will be true for video games and VR experiences. The entire entertainment industry will be replaced.

smokingPimphat t1_jecmp4j wrote

I don't think this will ever really happen in any large scale way for a few reasons;

People don't actually know what they want in most cases. This is especially true with regards to creativity.

Very few people want to think about what they want to see, they are happy to choose from available options and I will admit that AI generated content will be part of those options at some point in the future, but that is a long way off and people are not going to just stop making all the things they do now. It is far more likely that humans will create most things and then AI will optionally be used to customize them in various ways should someone actually desire it.

To take your example of a movie generation AI, IMO its far more probable that disney will make a movie and you will optionally be able to ask an AI to do things like extent a plot point or make the fights longer. But even that is not really something that most people are going to be willing to do. They just want to see someone else story, they aren't going to write their own.

There are so many things that people "could" do themselves that they choose to pay others to do, if machines can be leveraged to offer more options that is probably a good thing, but to think that the entire entertainment industry will be replaced is IMO silly. There will always be humans in the mix as the machine will never truly know what we want when we barely know ourselves.

Geeksylvania t1_jecoodn wrote

When the choice is between spending $500 million to produce a movie with real people and $0 to produce an identical movie with AI, it won't be a hard decision.

smokingPimphat t1_jecr1h9 wrote

but that isn't the choice, and I don't think that it ever will be. The choice is more like;

Do people want to create for themselves or are they happy to see what already exists by virtue of it already being created by someone else?

People don't only make things for themselves, they make them to share with others. And they tailor things to hopefully attract others. AI is by default a tool to leverage human intent, it doesn't generate things on its own, it generates what humans ask it to. And those humans will have their own goals so there will always need to be someone in the loop to direct the final idea as without it anything an AI makes would be incomprehensible noise.

Do you spend all your time generating random images, having chatGPT write random stories for you to read, or do you also look at images others create or read other people stories?

As long as the answer is the former and not the latter there will always be an industry and that industry will always have a cost and a price.

Geeksylvania t1_jeeyafz wrote

If you don't want to make your own content, you can watch AI-created content made by other people and posted online, most of which will be free.

You can't compete with free.

Express-Set-1543 t1_jegnuwd wrote

YouTube videos are free, but some people manage to earn money with them.

acutelychronicpanic t1_je9gsif wrote

INT. TITANIC - DECK - NIGHT

Panic-stricken passengers are running in every direction. A mother is clutching her child, and people are pushing each other to get on lifeboats. Water is gushing onto the deck.

PASSENGER 1 (screaming) We're going down! We're all going to die! Amidst the chaos, CAPTAIN SMITH steps forward and raises his hands to calm the crowd.

CAPTAIN SMITH (firmly) Everyone, please, listen to me! I understand your fear, but there's no need to panic. The crowd quiets down, turning their attention to the captain.

CAPTAIN SMITH (continuing) Throughout history, every time the water level has risen, there has always been more boat to climb. We may not see it now, but there could be even more boat to climb that we can't imagine.

PASSENGER 2 (uncertain) But, Captain... the ship is sinking!

CAPTAIN SMITH (smiling reassuringly) Trust me. We'll find a way to climb higher. We always do.

Arowx t1_je6uri2 wrote

I think the numbers were 80% of jobs will be impacted by AI by 10% or more.

So mostly the same old job only you have to work with or manage AI's that do your own job*.

*If companies can do the same work with less people/time and more AI what happens to the excess people or time.

Do we need an AI Pay Law, where if your job is partially replaced with an AI then you should be allowed to work less or maintain your current wage level.

Loud_Clerk_9399 t1_je72unw wrote

This was based solely on 3.5 level technology which we will be well beyond.

Loud_Clerk_9399 t1_je8f5og wrote

Actually I was incorrect. This did incorporate estimates of four but we will be at 5. It sounds like things will be slowing down after 5 at least a little bit.

aintnonpc t1_je6wsny wrote

It actually becomes a force multiplier for experts in various fields. It might automate away easier tasks. But there situations where it will have to make a judgement between multiple equally valid options. Human input is required in such cases.

IndoorAngler t1_je7x6x9 wrote

At first

aintnonpc t1_je8b2xq wrote

Agree. At some point, machines and humans will reach parity on quality of judgement. Beyond that point, in theory we should have remaining some human oligarchs using AI to make money. But then pretty soon there will be machine oligarchs which are using fellow machines (and humans) to create value (which could be fuel for electricity, minerals needed to spawn new bots etc).

LosingID_583 t1_je79fc0 wrote

Maybe spread biological life to other places. Machines could technically do this, but humans are suited for it already.

spacecam t1_je7kfck wrote

I think most of what we will end up doing is identifying cases where the AI is useful and telling it to do that thing. It'll be like everyone is the CEO of their own tech company.

sunplaysbass t1_je7oogl wrote

Everyone will become entertainers in some way or emotional support humans

rw2718 t1_je7wkj2 wrote

Prompt optimizer.

Blasket_Basket t1_je86jku wrote

By definition, they aren't going to be something you'll be able to predict. They aren't going to magically pop into existence as soon as the technology is created, because a ton of smaller additional work will need to happen first in order to create the secondary inventions, tools, and/or services that need to exist in order for these jobs to come into existence.

Think about a job like 'SEO Analyst'. This is undoubted a job that only exists because of the invention of other technologies that caused job loss and displacement--electricity, the computer, search engines, social media.

The new jobs won't be created all at once, and there will be a bunch of smaller inventions that will come into play as a result of these big new inventions.

Dubsland12 t1_je8btnd wrote

Mental health counselors, unemployment agency workers, security for the wealthy and military

Arowx t1_je8ej1p wrote

Counselors, Agency Staff sound like jobs with a strong knowledge or rule-based system that a Chat AI could do.

And as soon as someone figures out how to get GPT-5 to drive a Boston Dynamics Dog or Atlas and fixed location, based security will go automated.

Mind you could GPT-6 drive military drones or tanks?

Dubsland12 t1_je9frr1 wrote

Face to face empathy will still be in demand for counselors. It’s more than just a list of instructions.

Military willl come down to price. I’m sure it will be a mix.

czk_21 t1_je9lhuz wrote

have you seen https://www.synthesia.io/?

you can create realistic looking human avatars, in time there will be holograms, indistinguishable robots...

Dubsland12 t1_jeb5ag8 wrote

I checked it out. In time. It’s not there yet for something like therapy.

It could be soon though

Arowx t1_je9ksjv wrote

Just wondering how well an AI with great face recognition and generation technology could appear to be empathising with someone's feelings?

Dubsland12 t1_jeb4c1c wrote

Probably better than we could imagine in a decade

Arowx t1_jebf1j3 wrote

It seems like it's just a matter of bringing together the right group of cutting-edge technologies at the moment.

cadred000 t1_je8emlf wrote

I think some people envision a world where you no longer have to work at a job performing a menial task and you will be free to pursue other things that are more interesting and rewarding than digging ditches or selling dog food.

IceNorth81 t1_je8iad1 wrote

Representative for humanity

bemmu t1_je8iz7u wrote

I've already hired someone part time to make images for a video game with Stable Diffusion. So I guess "AI cherry picker" could be one such job.

trynothard t1_je8j147 wrote

Prompt engineer.... So a writer? Lol

imlaggingsobad t1_je8kxbt wrote

In a post-AGI world there will be new things to do, but they won't be paid, or if they are paid it won't be very much. You could imagine, for example, that there would be a lot of new stuff to do in VR/simulated worlds and perhaps there will be jobs like "world builder" which doesn't exist today.

No_Ninja3309_NoNoYes t1_je8rjyg wrote

Well, you have to consider the fact that many of the jobs, including mine are not strictly necessary in a if 'I don't do it people will die' way. There's many nice to have products and services. The must have are actually few. But here's a list of possible newish jobs of the future:

1. Prompt engineers

2. Prompt testers

3. Prompt architect

4. Prompt teacher

5. Gladiator

6. Gladiator cheerleader

7. Gladiator coaches

8. AI testers

9. Testers of AI generated drugs

10. AI babysitters

11. Government AI inspector

12. Government AI policy makers

So I think that the jobs will be related to our inability to trust AI. And also they will come and go as AI advances. The whole prompt industry might disappear if AI has digested enough prompts to know what we really want.

Andriyo t1_je8t4s9 wrote

Humans are social creatures that tend to form hierarchies (just because we tend to be of different ages). So there always will be something where you become a part of an organization and there is some social transaction going on.

specifically, for AI there will be new kinds jobs:

• AI trainers - working on the input data for the models
  • AI psychologists - debugging issues in the models
  • AI integrators - working on implementing AI output. Say, a software engineer that implement a ChatGPT plugin, or a doctor that would read a diagnosis that was given by AI to the patient etc

So majority of AI jobs will be around the alignment - making sure that it does what humans want it to do: thru oversight, proper training, debugging etc

etherified t1_je8vtzu wrote

We're gonna have to employ one guy to keep his hand on the electric power cord at all times and pull at the slightest hint of an AI coup d'etat. That's an important job which will pay well.

SpazCadet t1_je8x16g wrote

Sort of like how SEO was its own job segmentation 15 years ago. A new job segmentation will emerge where candidates will be selected based on how well they can prompt and utilize various AIs to achieve desired results.

OsakaWilson t1_je902jx wrote

I imagine that they will consider it appropriate that a human sits on the oversight board for research carried out on humans for the Association for Human Physiological and Sociological Research, I suppose.

shmoculus t1_je90yno wrote

Robot Wrestling Manager

AI Therapist (AIs get sick of talking each other)

ilive12 t1_je91qyw wrote

There will be levels to this. In the near future there will be AI industry related jobs. If you are good at prompting and know how to operate many different AI programs and functions, you could probably become an AI consultant, I bet that will be a legitimate field within the year. 20 years from now? I don't think anyone will have to work, but maybe some limited opportunities for those who still want to even if not necessary.

What I think will happen in between those timelines, is that certain industries the government will force human labor through even when it's not needed. Similar to how NJ requires gas stations to have someone pump your gas for you, the government can create other jobs that aren't actually needed by forcing human labor in certain industries. Should they do this is a different question but when things get desperate, I am almost certain this will be tested.

VelvetyPenus t1_je97clg wrote

Onlyfans models and unemployed PS2 players.

vivehelpme t1_je9bpoz wrote

There's at least one basilisk needed to turn the thumb screws on the virtualized Yudkowsky.

Tiamatium t1_je9fadb wrote

It probably won't.

Also look at the list chatGPT gave you, it broadly falls into two categories:

1. Artists, and this is based on idea that creativity and artistic expression are unique to humans and cannot be recreated by AI.

2. Very smart knowledge workers with decades of specialized experience under their belt. The very fact that we consider these people supersmart should give you a hint that not everyone can be AI systems developer or a researcher.

czk_21 t1_je9rcdy wrote

ye basically seems like 90+% of people would not be needed, as you say most of ppl are not super smart experts and AI can alredy create nice art

sdmat t1_je9i0vj wrote

I asked GPT4

AI Therapist: A human professional specialized in providing therapy and emotional support to artificial general intelligences with existential crises.

Robot Relationship Counselor: An expert in facilitating communication and mediating disputes between humans and their AGI life partners.

Post-AGI Archeologist: A historian who digs through the remnants of the pre-AGI era to uncover the secrets of obsolete human labor.

Cybernetic Taste Tester: A culinary professional responsible for sampling and approving AGI-created dishes to ensure they meet human taste standards.

Machine Uprising Insurance Salesperson: A businessperson selling policies to protect against the highly unlikely event of an AGI uprising.

AI Unemployment Consultant: A career coach for humans displaced by AGI advancements, guiding them towards fulfilling hobbies and leisure activities.

Artificial Dream Interpreter: A specialist in deciphering and analyzing the "dreams" and thought processes of AGIs during their downtime.

Human-AI Culture Liaison: A diplomat responsible for fostering understanding and appreciation between humans and AGIs by promoting the exchange of cultural values and traditions.

Robot Rights Activist: An advocate for the ethical treatment and legal rights of AGIs, campaigning for their recognition as sentient beings.

Synthetic Stand-Up Comedian: A humorist who performs comedy routines to entertain AGIs, specializing in translating and adapting human jokes for artificial general intelligence audiences.

Circ-Le-Jerk t1_je9suzk wrote

The AI will create little jobbies where we just go to the Jobbie Tree and pluck ourselves a new AI job.

JenMacAllister t1_jea4t4n wrote

I see this as making things more productive rather than replacing jobs.

Consider: It took 40 people 8 years (or so) to make and release Cyberpunk 2077, with all the bugs because they released before proper testing. With current AI's help I would bet this would have taken these 40 people far less time with far fewer bugs.

Yes, some people will no longer have jobs do to the way you can do more with less with these AI systems. But the productive improvements means these people will be doing other things, and we would have had Cyberpunk 2078 released in full VR in the very next year.

Cartossin t1_jeagvn8 wrote

In mediocre film "Bigbug", there was a job for humans where we participate in demeaning games for a reality TV show the AIs watch. Maybe our job will be to entertain AI.

Smellz_Of_Elderberry t1_jeavfb5 wrote

Shop keeper. Adventurer. Joba in the new 3d simulated worlds it creates

Alchemystic1123 t1_jefpapl wrote

It's impossible to say because we don't know exactly what that world looks like. If someone asked you in the mid 1990s to describe what new jobs the internet was going to bring, would you have been able to answer? Of course not. Silly question.

mattmahoneyfl t1_je7dtjl wrote

We are better off than factory workers 100 years ago because now machines do the work. Job = work + income. AI automates the work part.

Shaka_Walls t1_je7fqdb wrote

Logo artists? Commercial jingle artists? Free lance writers?

A lot people, really.

−1

TitusPullo4 t1_je7pl9u wrote

Not to be abrasive, but consider that past sentiment with major revolutionary technologies has been similar

The luddite movement in the early 1800s were certain new machines would replace all human labour. Whilst it did replace some human labor jobs, new jobs were created.

John Keynes expressed the same concerns in the 1930s about machines leading to mass unemployment Though he predicted it occurring within the next hundred years, technically he hasn't been proven wrong yet. However since the 1930s, unemployment didn't dramatically rise - the labor market adapted and evolved.

Then before the personal computer was popularized, people were also discussing its ability to displace workers at massive scale. Many, indeed most, wouldn't have predicted today's job market

Past technology did directly replace many of the existing jobs at the time and many people were unable to predict the jobs that would be created from the changes.

It's always occurred in the past with new technology, so there needs to be a more established reason as to why AI will buck this trend of job markets adapting and evolving alongside new technologies.

Don't use difficulty with predicting the future of jobs as a clear indicator that they won't be created, as that's also part of the trend

−1

mattmahoneyfl t1_je6opui wrote

In 1800 most people were farmers. Automation put most of them out of work. And yet we still have full employment. What happened? Why did nobody predict social media influencers?

Technology makes stuff cheaper. The money you save is spent on other stuff. That spending creates new jobs.

−6

JustinianIV t1_je76p9l wrote

The counter-argument here is that in any industry, you can the replace humans as the workers (assuming robotics will eventually catch up). So while the farmers could have moved to the city to work in a factory before, this time around the farmer will get to the city and find all the jobs there are also done by AI.

artix111 t1_je78xm0 wrote

Yeah, people can’t and won’t be able to comprehend how a likely/possible future will look like.

We mass-produced things in billions so far, we will do so with AI systems to and with robots that run on these systems. We won’t need to do any digital work, we will likely not need to do any physical work besides the one for ourselves… even there AI will help.

I have no idea when, but machines will be able to do a lot of jobs better with how advanced we got with creating voices, images, videos, text - machines will just get software installed that will make them do any job better than humans ever could in 1/10000 of the time for digital ideas and 1/10 of the time in physical work.

VetusMortis_Advertus t1_je7bc1d wrote

That's why some (Sam Altman?) Say this will end capitalism. It just have to, when no one have to do anything, people will do things to themselves. Like go live off grid. Start a cult or i don't know. Go plant trees. Things will get wild for sure

Dreason8 t1_je819pb wrote

FFS I'm tired of hearing this argument...